RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/14/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I'm not going to be critical of the W for trying something different with the draft, but a more traditional venue will work better in the future.

Different is one thing, but doing it in such a disorganized way was pathetic. And I was also wondering about who the heck were all those random people in the background who looked totally disinterested since it supposedly wasn't open to the public. Much, much better to let fans provide some atmosphere. I expected, since it was being touted as this great high tech place, that we would at least be treated to some sign of something resembling high tech... Other than Holly rocking around on a 3D rollercoaster for a couple of minutes that is. Instead we got treated to bad acoustics and a 'crowded into a basement' atmosphere with a big fat nothing! Maybe the kids had fun behind the scenes but to the fans, it just looked like someone had a brain fart.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 04/14/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who funds the WNBA front office? Is it the NBA or is it the WNBA owners? Maybe they wanted to cut the budget on stuff like the draft to help some bottom line. The delay in picking out the site probably set back any planning for it. So even though it was lower budget, it didn't have to come off as disorganized as it seemed.

I definitely preferred the environment in the drafts from the past, but I didn't too wrapped up in it like some people. It could have been held in Borders' back yard for all I care. I just wanted to know who was drafting who.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/14/17 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/14/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was i the only one who thought lisa borders looked sleep while announcing the picks ?

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Was i the only one who thought lisa borders looked sleep while announcing the picks ?

I'm even more curious what Dawn Staley was doing announcing the first pick (which she stumbled through). Was that a WNBA decision or a Stars choice?

I have this foreboding that the first (and maybe only) thing for which Staley is going to beat out Geno is in hogging camera time. I'm getting tired of seeing and hearing her already.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Maybe they wanted to cut the budget on stuff like the draft to help some bottom line. The delay in picking out the site probably set back any planning for it. So even though it was lower budget, it didn't have to come off as disorganized as it seemed.

The biggest cost cutting move had to be saving on the cost of teams travelling to NY. No plane tickets, no hotels.

Pretty ridiculous when they interview Riley about SanAntonio's two early picks and you find out she's still back in Texas in an empty arena connected to NY by some mediocre video conferencing hookup.

So not only were the draftees not congratulated by the commissioner, there was nobody from their new team there to meet or congratulate them. So then they get interviewed by Rowe squeezed between rows of orange Formica tables and plastic stacking chairs in a big crowded room.

The whole thing was just ridiculous. You wonder if someone planned this thinking it was a good idea that would really work, or whether saving money was the one and only consideration.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I'm even more curious what Dawn Staley was doing announcing the first pick (which she stumbled through). Was that a WNBA decision or a Stars choice?

I have this foreboding that the first (and maybe only) thing for which Staley is going to beat out Geno is in hogging camera time. I'm getting tired of seeing and hearing her already.

She nearly pulled an Oscar Laughing

scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/14/17 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

she and Chiney are neck and neck.

PostPosted: 04/14/17 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
So many lefties
Interesting fact A Gray told Imani that she actually writes & eats with her right hand.Also her brother is actually the opposite way. I'm the same way I'm right handed but it feels more natural/stronger shooting a basketball with my left hand. Its weird thing to experience you would think that your dominated hand will be stronger or feel more natural to use to shoot.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 04/14/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Chiney is great.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/14/17 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Chiney is great.

Chiney is a special human being.

- Amanda Gorman
jap

PostPosted: 04/14/17 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Chiney is great.

Yes!, that's why she belongs in the Land of LaLa with NerdCityKid I. Laughing

Last edited by jap on 04/15/17 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/15/17 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Then don't watch when she is on. I know a lot of people are not happy that she accomplished what so many said she wouldn't win the Ship. I am happy for her.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 04/15/17 2:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Then don't watch when she is on. I know a lot of people are not happy that she accomplished what so many said she wouldn't win the Ship. I am happy for her.

I don't mind Dawn announcing the #1 pick, I'm still upset about the venue. Looked like a cafeteria. Laughing Laughing If they wanted to cut costs they could've done something small like 2004. No podium, no jersey presentation or greeting by the President? Bad lighting, bad marketing, I could go on. Smh. It just looked so cheap. I'm still waiting on some more movement. I hope the dominos start to fall sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: 04/15/17 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Chiney is great.

Isn't perception a crazy thing? I find Chiney to be completely over the top and obnoxious. She drives me nuts.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 04/15/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Chiney is great.

Isn't perception a crazy thing? I find Chiney to be completely over the top and obnoxious. She drives me nuts.

Agree

PostPosted: 04/15/17 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Chiney is great.

Agree

You guys just can't handle that natural Ogwumike charm. Two brainy Stanford grads speaking with the self confidence that comes with from getting through one of the nation's elite universities, and you wanna say that NerdCityLid II is "over the top and obnoxious?"

PostPosted: 04/15/17 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm fine with Nneka. So I guess I can handle it.

PostPosted: 04/15/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Chiney is great.

Agree

You guys just can't handle that natural Ogwumike charm. Two brainy Stanford grads speaking with the self confidence that comes with from getting through one of the nation's elite universities, and you wanna say that NerdCityLid II is "over the top and obnoxious?"

yeah, sure, that's gotta be it.

PostPosted: 04/15/17 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
jap wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Chiney is great.

Agree

yeah, sure, that's gotta be it.

I knew! at least one of you would see the light!!! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/15/17 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing I admire with Chiney is that what you see is what you get. She's totally genuine. Totally out there with whatever she thinks and not shy about it. I can understand how some might find that too much. It's a bit like Roz Gold Onwude. I like her but can understand why she is too much for some.

- Amanda Gorman
sigur3

PostPosted: 04/15/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney just loves life...nothing wrong with that

jap

PostPosted: 04/15/17 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both sisters are such a sweet breath of clean fresh air with respect to most professional athletes, male OR female. In the past, I have described them as a veritable 'Little House of the Prairie' family that is fairly unique to modern professional sports.

PostPosted: 04/15/17 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Chiney is great.

Sat the next table over from her at the Pac-12 Tournament green room and heard her whole conversation. It was about tournament history and her experiences. Completely fascinating. She seems smart and passionate and excited about basketball and watching her on TV she geeks out about her passion. In fact, it reminds me of sitting down with a fellow nerd. You might not like how she presents herself but to me it seems completely genuine.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 04/15/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

You want to try something different? Fine. Rent a small event space. GET FANS IN THERE. You'll get atmosphere. Treat it like it matters, because to the people you pick and to the people who cheer for them, it does.

I was annoyed enough to see the clear "the event is not open to the public" and thinking of all the Libs fans that would have been happy to go. But what makes this a giant middle finger is that Alan Barcoff, Mr. Fan Page himself, was apparently hanging out at the barricades trying to snag selfies and talked himself into the venue. So he of course is spending the time crowing over his insider access while completely trashing every little thing about it. He's even threatened to post a secret video of Borders twerking in the DJ booth. They deserve each other.

The WNBA decided to make this an event for 10 draftees and letting the other 26 picks know how unimportant they are. They didn't even get a chance to hear their name called. And none of the fans got a chance to see their player with the team jersey (and really, only real fans watch a draft show). The venue was made to look terrible, too, and did not make me want to go there at all. I suppose the bright spot is that with such a low beginning, there's not much further to fall before it gets better, right? Right?

Nerd2

PostPosted: 04/15/17 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Lanay Montgomery to Seattle might also be a fit.

I think Epps has as good of a chance to make a roster/stick as Akhator.

When I saw the centers picked behind Montgomery. I was imagining those draft rooms swearing at Seattle for taking her first. At least she showed a little mettle during the Mountaineers Big 12 run.

Chong ahead of Epps was a surprise. I thought Saniya deserved a pick but saw Epps as a better player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: