RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

SEC 2017-18
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jlcarter



Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 441



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 6:45 am    ::: SEC 2017-18 Reply Reply with quote

With Scott Carolina losing both Davis and Gray. Who will be the favorite to win the SEC regular season?[list=][/list]




Last edited by Jlcarter on 10/04/17 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4203
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Id love to say UT but im sure it will be Miss. State and the great Itty bitty as the headliners.



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5469



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee. (Hopefully without Warlick.)



_________________
Texas Lady Longhorns
UConn Huskies

Las Vegas Stars
Dallas Wings
Seattle Storm
Chicago Sky
Connecticut Sun
Jlcarter



Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 441



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that Tennessee has the most talent. I say it's a three team race Tennessee, Mississippi State, and South Carolina.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4203
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Tennessee. (Hopefully without Warlick.)


Wheres the without warlick coming from ? Laughing



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4232
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Tennessee. (Hopefully without Warlick.)


Wheres the without warlick coming from ? Laughing


RD has a big hate on. Evil or Very Mad

I'm going with a 3-way race--Miss. State, SC, and Tennessee. I have a sneaking feeling that Georgia might not be far behind. Joni Taylor is quietly doing a nice rebuilding job down there.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4203
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Tennessee. (Hopefully without Warlick.)


Wheres the without warlick coming from ? Laughing


Quote:
RD has a big hate on. Evil or Very Mad


As much as id like to join him when it comes to harlick , id rather be in this position to possibly be great with her than with a new coach starting the rebuilding process all over again . She pisses me off most of the time *Warlick* but i wish her nothing but success . Will be monumental when she wins her 1st title at UT .

I'm going with a 3-way race--Miss. State, SC, and Tennessee. I have a sneaking feeling that Georgia might not be far behind. Joni Taylor is quietly doing a nice rebuilding job down there.


I agree , coach taylor has built a solid program down in georgia . They just need that 1 marquee player to restore themselves as an elite program again .



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1173



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going with South Carolina, they should have the best player in conference and what I consider the best back court in the nation.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4203
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
I'm going with South Carolina, they should have the best player in conference and what I consider the best back court in the nation.


Cuevas & Harris are the best backcourt 1/2 combo in the nation ? Rolling Eyes



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4037
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you go by and believe in high school All Americans, Tennessee has by far the best talent. Much of it, however, will be fresh.

Coaching may be the key.

The Pac 12 has big magic, big mojo, big RPI coaches -- and now one that lovin' spoonful is in Arkansas. Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart? Believe in magic of a young girl's soul? Believe in the magic that can set you free?
rykhala



Joined: 15 Oct 2009
Posts: 260
Location: Saint Louis, MO


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that Missouri could be in the mix. They have been on a pretty steady upward trajectory since Robin Pingeton became the head coach. Mississippi State and South Carolina would have to be considered the safest bets.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4232
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Tennessee. (Hopefully without Warlick.)


Wheres the without warlick coming from ? Laughing


Quote:
RD has a big hate on. Evil or Very Mad


As much as id like to join him when it comes to harlick , id rather be in this position to possibly be great with her than with a new coach starting the rebuilding process all over again . She pisses me off most of the time *Warlick* but i wish her nothing but success . Will be monumental when she wins her 1st title at UT .

I'm going with a 3-way race--Miss. State, SC, and Tennessee. I have a sneaking feeling that Georgia might not be far behind. Joni Taylor is quietly doing a nice rebuilding job down there.


I agree , coach taylor has built a solid program down in georgia . They just need that 1 marquee player to restore themselves as an elite program again .


I think Caliya Robinson is on her way to becoming that player. Watch her.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4203
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Tennessee. (Hopefully without Warlick.)


Wheres the without warlick coming from ? Laughing


Quote:
RD has a big hate on. Evil or Very Mad


As much as id like to join him when it comes to harlick , id rather be in this position to possibly be great with her than with a new coach starting the rebuilding process all over again . She pisses me off most of the time *Warlick* but i wish her nothing but success . Will be monumental when she wins her 1st title at UT .

I'm going with a 3-way race--Miss. State, SC, and Tennessee. I have a sneaking feeling that Georgia might not be far behind. Joni Taylor is quietly doing a nice rebuilding job down there.


I agree , coach taylor has built a solid program down in georgia . They just need that 1 marquee player to restore themselves as an elite program again .


I think Caliya Robinson is on her way to becoming that player. Watch her.


I watch her and think she should be dominating , but its like she has the kaela davis syndrome also . Embarassed



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1173



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
I'm going with South Carolina, they should have the best player in conference and what I consider the best back court in the nation.


Cuevas & Harris are the best backcourt 1/2 combo in the nation ? Rolling Eyes


An argument could be made for Duke with Brown and Greenwell, other then the gamecocks most teams will have some question marks regrading there back courts.

Also Harris is the 1st freshman point guard to start on a national championship team since Toliver and Maryland
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3430
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Itty and the Vic-ettes!



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5538



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
If you go by and believe in high school All Americans, Tennessee has by far the best talent. Much of it, however, will be fresh.

Coaching may be the key.

The Pac 12 has big magic, big mojo, big RPI coaches -- and now one that lovin' spoonful is in Arkansas. Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart? Believe in magic of a young girl's soul? Believe in the magic that can set you free?



Be interesting to see if Neighbors can build up Arkansas. He has the "coached in the Final Four" feather in his cap now. But he did go to the Final Four with a team that he didn't recruit, so the feat was not as great as it could be.




Last edited by tfan on 04/12/17 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4232
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Tennessee. (Hopefully without Warlick.)


Wheres the without warlick coming from ? Laughing


Quote:
RD has a big hate on. Evil or Very Mad


As much as id like to join him when it comes to harlick , id rather be in this position to possibly be great with her than with a new coach starting the rebuilding process all over again . She pisses me off most of the time *Warlick* but i wish her nothing but success . Will be monumental when she wins her 1st title at UT .

I'm going with a 3-way race--Miss. State, SC, and Tennessee. I have a sneaking feeling that Georgia might not be far behind. Joni Taylor is quietly doing a nice rebuilding job down there.


I agree , coach taylor has built a solid program down in georgia . They just need that 1 marquee player to restore themselves as an elite program again .


I think Caliya Robinson is on her way to becoming that player. Watch her.


I watch her and think she should be dominating , but its like she has the kaela davis syndrome also . Embarassed


She'll just be a sophomore this year, so let's see if she grows up. Laughing



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1119
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 6:49 pm    ::: Re: SEC favorite Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
With Scott Carolina losing both Davis and Gray. Who will be the favorite to win the SEC regular season?


Tennessee has the most talent, by a long shot. Mississippi State has the most returning fire power, experience and the best coach. South Carolina has the best player and the best "swag." This will be a really fun race.

I give the edge to the Fighting Schaeffers.


Jlcarter



Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 441



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 7:10 pm    ::: Re: SEC favorite Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:
With Scott Carolina losing both Davis and Gray. Who will be the favorite to win the SEC regular season?


Tennessee has the most talent, by a long shot. Mississippi State has the most returning fire power, experience and the best coach. South Carolina has the best player and the best "swag." This will be a really fun race.

I give the edge to the Fighting Schaeffers.

Had Davis and Gray returned to SC. Then I think they would be the favorite. It will be interesting to see who can step up for SC. I think it will be a good race in the SEC this year. I may go down to the last week.


Ladyvol777



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 210



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee big 3, Diamond DeShields, Mercedes Russell, and Jaime Nared will have a lot of help. Te'a Cooper at the point got threw her freshman year. the 4 freshman plus one, Evina Westbrook, Anastasia Hayes, Rennia Davis, Kasiyahna Kushkituah, and Cheridene Green will help a lot, with Alexa Middleton and Meme Jackson both should improve but not sure how much playing time they will get. Kortney Dunbar and Kamera Harris may not play much at all. This is Tennessee best team since 2008. I'll take them in the SEC this year by a lot.


bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 3135



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 10:03 pm    ::: Re: SEC favorite Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:
With Scott Carolina losing both Davis and Gray. Who will be the favorite to win the SEC regular season?


Tennessee has the most talent, by a long shot. Mississippi State has the most returning fire power, experience and the best coach. South Carolina has the best player and the best "swag." This will be a really fun race.

I give the edge to the Fighting Schaeffers.


You stated that Miss St has the best coach? Dawn and her team beat them 3 times and her team got the Ship. Seems that she may be a better coach than some people think.


LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 382



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Neighbors will be the next Nikki Caldwell.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4037
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/17 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Neighbors will be the next Nikki Caldwell.


Centerfold material?
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5538



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/17 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
LitePal wrote:
Neighbors will be the next Nikki Caldwell.


Centerfold material?


Ha, I hope the 44 year old Caldwell (Fargas) sees that.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5538



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/17 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Neighbors will be the next Nikki Caldwell.


She's still employed, so he could do worse. I was wondering what time period they will give him and what results they are expecting at Arkansas.


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2160
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/17 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Be interesting to see if Neighbors can build up Arkansas. He has the "coached in the Final Four" feather in his cap now. But he did go to the Final Four with a team that he didn't recruit, so the feat was not as great as it could be.


Why do people say this about Neighbors yet people want to give so much credit to Carolyn Peck?


LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 382



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/17 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kathy Olivier is also still employed. Point being that he's leaving for twice the money. Can't blame him. Like Fargas, he has minimal time as a head coach and has proven to be a poor recruiter. He also is coming in with high expectations. Can he meet them? In her three years at UCLA, Caldwell finished fourth and twice two times in the Pac. She also got to the final game twice. Neighbors best finish was a tie for second this year and he never won the tournament. He never even got to the title game. In fact, this year UW was beaten in the first game by Oregon in Seattle. All this while having the top scorer and rebounder. He has a Final Four in his resume but so does Lindsay Gottlieb.

Will it pay off? Did it at LSU? It seems like a gamble, but sometimes you have to gamble to win.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5538



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/17 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
tfan wrote:
Be interesting to see if Neighbors can build up Arkansas. He has the "coached in the Final Four" feather in his cap now. But he did go to the Final Four with a team that he didn't recruit, so the feat was not as great as it could be.


Why do people say this about Neighbors yet people want to give so much credit to Carolyn Peck?


When were they saying it about Peck? Her post-Purdue coaching seems to have taken some of the luster off her NCAA title.


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2160
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
tfan wrote:
Be interesting to see if Neighbors can build up Arkansas. He has the "coached in the Final Four" feather in his cap now. But he did go to the Final Four with a team that he didn't recruit, so the feat was not as great as it could be.


Why do people say this about Neighbors yet people want to give so much credit to Carolyn Peck?


When were they saying it about Peck? Her post-Purdue coaching seems to have taken some of the luster off her NCAA title.


Yes!! Someone else sees it also! People in certain circles and some even on here talk about how good she was, won a National title, WNBA coach, etc when the reality is she basically was a substitution supervisor at Purdue. She really is not a very good coach.

Anyway, I completely agree about Neighbors as well. He has shown to be a pretty good coach (game decisions, preparation, etc) but can he recruit?


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4037
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
substitution supervisor


Oooh, an elegant verbal shiv. Gotta add that to the insult armamentarium.
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3430
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/30/17 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In lieu of the developments oer the past few weeks my thoughts are:

1. Mississippi State. - Most likely of the bunch to get to the Final Four. Vic has a team full of senior guards and Mountain McCowan. Plus the team is deep and experienced (remember him swapping starting lineups at the start of the NCAAT). Whereas last years run was built on the leadership of 3 star recruits, now there are Gatoraders on the team. Indomitiable IttyBit knows what it takes to get to the Title Game.

2. South Carolina. - Probably an Elite 8 team but Wilson in her awesomeness could get this team to Final Four. Harris and Cuevas are in the backcourt together. But Gray and Davis were spectacular in March and their versitility and experience need to be replaced.

3. Missouri - Cunningham gets better and better and this team returns the Porter Sisters and gets back toughie Jordan Frericks who missed last season. Amber Smith, a rising Sophomore was invited to the U19 trials after a breakout season. Sweet 16.

4. Tennessee - T'heChosen and DramaDiva were expected to be the the Final Four Force of of the LadyVols and but they're no longer available. While many believe the Vols could land even better through the Addition by Subtraction Principle, its unlikely that Tennesee will make a long run having to rely on froshies albeit highly rated froshies. Sweet 16 would be an optimistic highwater mark.

5. Texas A&M - Solid players at every position including tried and true Hillsman in the post, Hydromatic Howard corraling caroms, Dynaimic Danni Williams providing explosive offense. Curtyce Knox won't be back and she lead the nation in assists. Relying on a frosh even a blue collar frosh to duplicate that leadership and poise is unlikely.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
SCGamecock



Joined: 31 May 2015
Posts: 53



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/27/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not looking forward to playing Mississippi State this year. They will be tough.. although not as deep as they were last year. McCowan, William and Vivians will be counted on to play more this year. They will go through what SC went through last year.. a stout, elite starting 5 and then significant dropoff after that starting 5. SC, on the other hand, will be much deeper this year, they have a lot of guards and because of that you'll see a lot more 4 out and 1 in (the recipe that guided them to a natty once Coates went down), you'll have Wilson and Jennings holding it down at forward/center, Harrigan to spell and stretch the floor at the 4-spot and a lot of guards to rotate in and out based on matchups... the starting 5 won't be as talented as last year's.. but they'll be able to bring waves and waves of talent off the bench.

Prior to their departures, I liked Tennessee a lot to take the league.. some people say losing Deshields and Cooper are addition by attraction.. but those were elite players expected to be impact players this year and now you don't have them. Nared and Russell are good players.. but they will really need Jackson, Dunbar, Green and Harris to step up.. and I still need to be convinced that Green and Harris are SEC-level players. The lost of Middleton can't be discounted either.. Middleton is much better than her stats say, she's a catch and shoot perimeter player and I didn't think she was being maximized at Tennessee. With the loss of Cooper, Tennessee will be relying on a true freshmen to be a point guard... that's not necessarily a bad thing. Tyasha Harris guided her team to a national championship as a freshman.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4232
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/27/17 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that Tennessee will not be missing that much with the defection of DeShields and Cooper. "Elite players" may be that, but bad attitudes can poison the air for everyone. Bye girls.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2798



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/27/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that Tennessee will not be missing that much with the defection of DeShields and Cooper. "Elite players" may be that, but bad attitudes can poison the air for everyone. Bye girls.


If DeShields and Cooper were indeed causing problems with team chemistry I'd speculate that better team focus will lead to fewer losses overall. They should be able to avoid the slew of inexplicable losses to teams like Alabama and Miss. but I also think there will be fewer wins against teams like Notre Dame, S Car. & Miss St.

Nared will lead the team but Tenn will get as far as Russell's surgically-repaired feet and the four talented but inexperienced freshmen take them.


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 527



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/27/17 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
If DeShields and Cooper were indeed causing problems with team chemistry I'd speculate that better team focus will lead to fewer losses overall. They should be able to avoid the slew of inexplicable losses to teams like Alabama and Miss. but I also think there will be fewer wins against teams like Notre Dame, S Car. & Miss St.

Nared will lead the team but Tenn will get as far as Russell's surgically-repaired feet and the four talented but inexperienced freshmen take them.


Good summary. I'd add that Green is the unknown who could be a big boost to the team.


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 666
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would say Mississippi State has the solid lead for top SEC team right now, for several reasons. One, the SEC is a defense league, and Miss St. plays strong defense. Also, MSU return most of their lineup, and will have a lot of momentum coming off their run to the NCAAT Championship Game.

Tennessee just has too many questions right now: They lose DeShields and Cooper, and have a ton of freshman talent joining their club. Everything - good or bad - seemed to go through DeShields last season, so it remains to be seen who will step up as the team leader. Russell is NOT a team leader kind of player, and I don't think Nared is either. Most likely it will come from someone who is younger, and I don't know how the older girls on the roster will take to that. "Team Chemistry" has not been a valued friend in the Lady Vols lockerroom for quite some time....

As for South Carolina, they return A'ja Wilson who will again be a contender for NPOTY. They return both Harris and Cuevas-Moore, who turned into a very effective back-court tandem. They return reserves Herbert-Harrigan who is undersized as a Post, but who has shown she is very talented in scoring, rebounding, and shot-blocking, so I expect to see her step forward and become a major contributor, perhaps even starter. The Gamecocks also return Cliney, Patrick, and Bradshaw. UK Transfer F Alexis Jennings will be eligible to play this season, and Penn State grad transfer G Lindsey Spann will also be available.

I expect the defense to be there: Wilson is defending SEC DPOTY, and the Harris-Cuevas-Moore tandem will be among the better back-court tandems defensively in the conference. Herbert-Harrigan is an effective shot-blocker and defender, and Cliney is also effective.

Offensively speaking players will need to step up: Wilson will be there, and I feel both Harris and BCM can average around double-digits next season, easily. MHH has shown the ability to score big but was inconsistent in her effort last season, but with her talent it wouldn't surprise me if she ended up 2nd to Wilson in scoring per game. Jennings averaged 10.0 ppg and 7.1 rpg her last season at UK, so she brings maturity and SEC experience, and could duplicate those numbers. Spann averaged in dbl digits all 3 years she was at PSU, and even led a bad team in scoring as a freshman, but the SEC is a different animal: as a 5-6 guard she wasn't a leader in terms of assists or steals on her old team, and I doubt she steals starts from either returning guards, so I see her as more of an experienced reserve.

The incoming freshmen have talent and will add to the team equation. They may have to add to it sooner than expected, but Harris and MHH didn't do too badly last season as true frosh. 5* Wings Elisia Grissett and Bianca Jackson are very dynamic players who can score all over the floor, so they will compete for offensive contributions, and 5* Forward LaDazhia Williams will factor in as well. 3* G Haley Troup is supposedly a perimeter-shooting talent who will contribute there in a reserve role....

Rebounding will also be a concern with the departures of Coates, Davis, and Gray. Last season USC really had little depth at the post area, especially after Coates was lost to injury. But the additions of Williams and Grissett, plus the availability of Jennings being added to Wilson and Herbert-Harrigan gives USC more bodies than they had last season.

I still expect USC to hang around the top 10 this season and compete for the SEC titles again, but IMO they will step back from being a contender for winning it all. They still could be a dark horse contender for another Final Four, but that would require several talented players to step up and help Wilson....


Ladyvol777



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 210



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee all the way......
2017-18 Women's Basketball Roster

0 Rennia Davis G/F 6-2 Fr. Jacksonville, Fla. Ribault HS
1 Anastasia Hayes G 5-7 Fr. Murfreesboro, Tenn. Riverdale HS
2 Evina Westbrook G 6-0 Fr. Salem, Oregon South Salem HS
5 Kamera Harris C 6-3 So. Hampton, Ga. Dutchtown HS
10 Meme Jackson G/F 5-11 Jr. Murfreesboro, Tenn. Blackman HS
11 Kasiyahna Kushkituah C 6-4 Fr. Atlanta, Ga. St. Francis HS
13 Kortney Dunbar F 6-2 Sr. Edwardsville, Ill. Edwardsville HS
15 Cheridene Green F 6-3 R-Jr. London, England Harris Acad. Beckenham 6th Form / ASA College
21 Mercedes Russell C 6-6 R-Sr. Springfield, Ore. Springfield HS
31 Jaime Nared G/F 6-2 Sr. Portland, Ore. Westview HS


Fungai



Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Location: United States


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee at the top - Until they lose the opener to Carlson-Newman.

Not the same team since Pat's demise. Warlick has always enjoyed a talented squad, but high player ranking has not resulted in commensurate success.

Losing 3 talented players and replacing them with 4 freshmen is not a recipe for success this year. Next year, Mercedes and Nared will be gone and that will offset the sophomore jump the 4 freshmen might make, assuming none of the 4 transfer.

The odds of a freshman being a major contributor the first year are about one in ten. Reality is not an attribute possessed by many Tennessee fans.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4203
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fungai wrote:
Tennessee at the top - Until they lose the opener to Carlson-Newman.

Not the same team since Pat's demise. Warlick has always enjoyed a talented squad, but high player ranking has not resulted in commensurate success.

Losing 3 talented players and replacing them with 4 freshmen is not a recipe for success this year. Next year, Mercedes and Nared will be gone and that will offset the sophomore jump the 4 freshmen might make, assuming none of the 4 transfer.

The odds of a freshman being a major contributor the first year are about one in ten. Reality is not an attribute possessed by many Tennessee fans.


Speak for yourself ,Im a LV fan and im well aware of the turmoil we have endured this offseason and we know what could possibly happen this season with results , but we are also optimistic things can be turned around. Negative nancy take a nap already



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8467



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a roster filled with elite players in high school, and most coaches would kill for this talent level.

Then again, the Tennessee roster always looks like this ... and we know how that's worked out in the past.

Maybe this year will be different, though. You never know ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Fungai



Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Location: United States


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Fungai wrote:
Tennessee at the top - Until they lose the opener to Carlson-Newman.

Not the same team since Pat's demise. Warlick has always enjoyed a talented squad, but high player ranking has not resulted in commensurate success.

Losing 3 talented players and replacing them with 4 freshmen is not a recipe for success this year. Next year, Mercedes and Nared will be gone and that will offset the sophomore jump the 4 freshmen might make, assuming none of the 4 transfer.

The odds of a freshman being a major contributor the first year are about one in ten. Reality is not an attribute possessed by many Tennessee fans.


Speak for yourself ,Im a LV fan and im well aware of the turmoil we have endured this offseason and we know what could possibly happen this season with results , but we are also optimistic things can be turned around. Negative nancy take a nap already

I am speaking for myself. I didn't say all LV fans, just many, and it's not a crime to be Polly Positive if they wish. I'm just looking at it from the outside and don't see what they are seeing. LV fans in general have a habit of telling those they don't agree with to "take a nap" or worse, as though their opinion is the only one allowed to be stated.

On the other hand, a nap sounds pretty good right now. Thanks for the suggestion.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4203
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fungai wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Fungai wrote:
Tennessee at the top - Until they lose the opener to Carlson-Newman.

Not the same team since Pat's demise. Warlick has always enjoyed a talented squad, but high player ranking has not resulted in commensurate success.

Losing 3 talented players and replacing them with 4 freshmen is not a recipe for success this year. Next year, Mercedes and Nared will be gone and that will offset the sophomore jump the 4 freshmen might make, assuming none of the 4 transfer.

The odds of a freshman being a major contributor the first year are about one in ten. Reality is not an attribute possessed by many Tennessee fans.


Speak for yourself ,Im a LV fan and im well aware of the turmoil we have endured this offseason and we know what could possibly happen this season with results , but we are also optimistic things can be turned around. Negative nancy take a nap already

I am speaking for myself. I didn't say all LV fans, just many, and it's not a crime to be Polly Positive if they wish. I'm just looking at it from the outside and don't see what they are seeing. LV fans in general have a habit of telling those they don't agree with to "take a nap" or worse, as though their opinion is the only one allowed to be stated.

On the other hand, a nap sounds pretty good right now. Thanks for the suggestion.


You "say" your not referring to all, But you continue to say "LV Fans in general" . Ever considered maybe you Dont see what LV fans see because your "Not A Fan" Question Arrow



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3430
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/11/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who will be the bottom-suckers in the SEC?

I'm predicting the final year of the Matt Insell Jr. Experience in oxford;

Arkansas is pretty depleted. HomeBoy is bringing in some solid transfers who will help the team next season but it will be tough going this year.

Auburn lost a lot due to graduation

Bama still won't be good but probably better than the three teams mentioned above.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3430
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/07/17 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vic Schaefer talks about his team heading into a new year.

http://scout.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Mississippi-State-womens-basketball-head-coach-Vic-Schaefer-talk-107042304

Lots of senior leadership and quite a few newbies.

The Minister of Defense is looking for his next great defender.

Questions of depth in the post are being addressed.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
PlayBally'all



Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 210



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/13/17 11:16 pm    ::: Re: SEC favorite Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
With Scott Carolina losing both Davis and Gray. Who will be the favorite to win the SEC regular season?


I actually thought... "Who is Scott Carolina?" LOL

I would say that its a 3 way race between Carolina, Ms State and Tennessee. Mizzou could also be really strong this year and they are well coached. If I had to bet, I would say Ms. State




Last edited by PlayBally'all on 09/13/17 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
PlayBally'all



Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 210



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/13/17 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Who will be the bottom-suckers in the SEC?

I'm predicting the final year of the Matt Insell Jr. Experience in oxford;

Arkansas is pretty depleted. HomeBoy is bringing in some solid transfers who will help the team next season but it will be tough going this year.

Auburn lost a lot due to graduation

Bama still won't be good but probably better than the three teams mentioned above.


You could be completely right. I'm not sure that Ole Miss will pull the trigger this year though. They have a lot going on right now. Ofcourse, if they are a total disaster, all bets are off.

I would be really shocked if Arkansas is competitive in year 1. LSU and Auburn are both total unknowns really. When Nikki Fargas is focused on coaching, they have the potential to be competitive. When not, who knows?

Auburn has a couple of transfers that are now eligible to play, but the lack of size and offense will always handicap a Terry Williams-Flournoy coached team in the SEC. Her style of play produced much better results in Georgetown that it will ever produce at Auburn.

Georgia could be a sleeper. I'm not sure how that coaching staff will perform, but they certainly know how to recruit. They will be young, but some very talented freshmen will be available.


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 666
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/14/17 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Vic Schaefer talks about his team heading into a new year.

http://scout.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Mississippi-State-womens-basketball-head-coach-Vic-Schaefer-talk-107042304

Lots of senior leadership and quite a few newbies.

The Minister of Defense is looking for his next great defender.

Questions of depth in the post are being addressed.


The Minister of Defense in the SEC is a HER, not a "his":


Year - SEC rank (NCAA rank):

2011-12

Scoring Defense: 1st (4th)
FG % Defense: 5th (108th) * LSU, Miss St., AR, UT

2012-13

Scoring Defense: 1st (5th)
FG % Defense: 1st (32nd)

2013-14

Scoring Defense: 2nd (8th) * AR
FG % Defense: 1st (5th)

2014-15

Scoring Defense: 1st (12th)
FG % Defense: 1st (10th)

2015-16

Scoring Defense: 2nd (25th) * UGA
FG % Defense: 1st (11th)

2016-17

Scoring Defense : 1st (24th)
FG % Defense: 1st (19th)


The only time Miss State ranked better than USC in either category over the past 6 years, was the season prior to Schaefer becoming HC there. Although CVS is a great coach and has built the Bulldogs into a top program, the standard for defense in the SEC has resided in Columbia, SC since CDS has taken the Gamecocks to their first NCAAT under her.

With Wilson, and both Harris and Cuevas-Moore returning as anchors, it wouldn't surprise me if USC continues the run.....


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3430
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/04/17 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mizzou will get limited mileage out of the Porter sisters this year. Bri Porter's athletic career is done after multiple knee surgeries. Mizzou petit I got for hardship to cover this her final year. She'll travel with the team but not play.

Cierra Porter is coming off surgery on her knee as well. She saw limited time last season and Pingeton has stated she use her as much as she can go but this year is probably her final year as well

That leaves the Tiger interior pretty limited. Jordan creek is returns and provides solid rebounding but the other forwards on the team are very unproven.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 1857



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/04/17 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas A&M can be really tough if their frosh PG plays well, paired with the experience of the UTEP senior grad transfer. Hillsman and Danni Williams each averaged 16 ppg last season and if Anriel Howard continues her upward trend, this could be a tough team to beat. Add in 1-2 more weapons in their freshman class or the sophomores and this could be a Sweet 16 team or challenge for SEC.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3430
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/04/17 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Roshunda Johnson ready for senior seasOn in Starkville

http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=61059



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin