RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Future of the National Team

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/06/17 4:01 pm    ::: Future of the National Team Reply Reply with quote

Why? Because on rebkell, there will never be too many things to have speculative debates about.

There is going to be quite a bit of turnover on the Olympics team from last year to 2020. Charles, Delle Donne, Griner, Moore and Stewart are the 5 locks to return, in my opinion. Notice that Moore is the only perimeter player. Bird and Catchings are officially done; and Augustus, Fowles, McCoughtry, Taurasi and Whalen could all potentially play in the '18 Worlds but won't be around for the next Olympics. Maybe Taurasi as an honorary thing, let her match the record, but I find it unlikely.

Assuming none of those players are there, though, that leaves 7 open spots, including THE ENTIRE BACKCOURT. Right now, Ogwumike is the obvious choice to take a spot. Another post. So basically what we're looking at is filling 6/7 perimeter positions. They could potentially play Moore at the 2, opening up another spot for a young post player, but I'm not sure what kind of balance that team would have.

And here are your candidates, as I see them:
Pure Point Guards - Moriah Jefferson, Courtney Vandersloot
Combo Guards - Skylar Diggins, Kelsey Mitchell, Kelsey Plum, Odyssey Sims
Wings - Diamond DeShields, Jewell Loyd, Kayla McBride
Small Forwards: Katie Lou Samuelson
*Deep Bench Post: Chiney Ogwumike, A'ja Wilson

So, who ya got? Of course things will change in the next 3+ years, but it's pretty clear that the backcourt needs an overhaul.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/06/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You don't think Candace Parker will be playing in the US National Team for the 2018 FIBA World Championship? And with Geno Auriemma not coaching anymore, maybe CP3 will redeem herself by making the 2020 Olympic team?

PostPosted: 04/06/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diggins
Jefferson
Loyd
Deshields
Moore
Delle Donne
Ogwumike
Stewart
Wilson
Griner
Charles
Wiliams
Nerd2

PostPosted: 04/06/17 7:06 pm    ::: Re: Future of the National Team Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Why? Because on rebkell, there will never be too many things to have speculative debates about.

There is going to be quite a bit of turnover on the Olympics team from last year to 2020. Charles, Delle Donne, Griner, Moore and Stewart are the 5 locks to return, in my opinion. Notice that Moore is the only perimeter player. Bird and Catchings are officially done; and Augustus, Fowles, McCoughtry, Taurasi and Whalen could all potentially play in the '18 Worlds but won't be around for the next Olympics. Maybe Taurasi as an honorary thing, let her match the record, but I find it unlikely.

Assuming none of those players are there, though, that leaves 7 open spots, including THE ENTIRE BACKCOURT. Right now, Ogwumike is the obvious choice to take a spot. Another post. So basically what we're looking at is filling 6/7 perimeter positions. They could potentially play Moore at the 2, opening up another spot for a young post player, but I'm not sure what kind of balance that team would have.

And here are your candidates, as I see them:
Pure Point Guards - Moriah Jefferson, Courtney Vandersloot
Combo Guards - Skylar Diggins, Kelsey Mitchell, Kelsey Plum, Odyssey Sims
Wings - Diamond DeShields, Jewell Loyd, Kayla McBride
Small Forwards: Katie Lou Samuelson
*Deep Bench Post: Chiney Ogwumike, A'ja Wilson

So, who ya got? Of course things will change in the next 3+ years, but it's pretty clear that the backcourt needs an overhaul.

Vandersloot is now Hungarian so she's out of the running.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/06/17 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diggins/Jefferson
Loyd/K. Mitchell/T. Mitchell
Moore/EDD
Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Charles
Griner/Wilson

I don't think Dawn will be completely immune from a little home cooking Carolina style, and T. Mitchell offers just enough to get that end of bench glue player spot. TBH in a year or two T. Mitchell might be better than the other deep bench guard candidates anyway.

UK1996

PostPosted: 04/06/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jefferson/Vandersloot
Taurasi/Diggins/Loyd
Moore/Deshields
Stewart/Delle Donne/ N. Ogwimike
Griner/Charles

PostPosted: 04/06/17 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Diggins/Jefferson
Moore/EDD
Griner/Wilson

I don't think Dawn will be completely immune from a little home cooking Carolina style, and T. Mitchell offers just enough to get that end of bench glue player spot. TBH in a year or two T. Mitchell might be better than the other deep bench guard candidates anyway.

I LOVE the idea of Dawn adding one of her own, but I'm going with Ionescu over T. Mitchell. And I think Chelsea Gray might earn her way in if she stays healthy. She's tall, crafty and has that beautiful rainbow three. A pure point with a nice shot. It's time to start picking off UConn players and Charles,Moore and Stewie are untouchable.

It's also entirely possible that Diana chooses that Olympics as her swan song.

~rAf
Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/07/17 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
You don't think Candace Parker will be playing in the US National Team for the 2018 FIBA World Championship? And with Geno Auriemma not coaching anymore, maybe CP3 will redeem herself by making the 2020 Olympic team?

I think by then she has EDD, Stewart and Nneka before her at the PF position..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/07/17 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MoJeff/January [ but neither are set in stone]
Taurasi[if she wants to be there]
Maya/Angel/[EDD if healthy]
Stewie/Wilson/ Nneka
Griner/Fowles

plus whichever guard is currently healthy and standing out which could be any of about 10 different ones.

- Amanda Gorman
SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/08/17 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Diggins/Jefferson
Moore/EDD
Griner/Wilson

I LOVE the idea of Dawn adding one of her own, but I'm going with Ionescu over T. Mitchell. And I think Chelsea Gray might earn her way in if she stays healthy. She's tall, crafty and has that beautiful rainbow three. A pure point with a nice shot. It's time to start picking off UConn players and Charles,Moore and Stewie are untouchable.

It's also entirely possible that Diana chooses that Olympics as her swan song.

Serious-f*cking-ly, you're gonna make this about UConn? If UConn alum have Olympic caliber talent then they'll be in the running and if they don't make the cut then so be it..but it shouldn't be about "oh let's not take her because she's UConn." Dumb! Duke will never be at that level so get over it !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: