RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Russians used Facebook to organize U.S. anti-muslim protests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/12/17 9:04 pm    ::: Russians used Facebook to organize U.S. anti-muslim protests Reply Reply with quote

http://www.thedailybeast.com/exclusive-russia-used-facebook-events-to-organize-anti-immigrant-rallies-on-us-soil

Russian operatives hiding behind false identities used Facebook’s event-management tool to remotely organize and promote political protests in the U.S., including an August 2016 anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim rally in Idaho, The Daily Beast has learned.

A Facebook spokesperson confirmed to The Daily Beast that the social-media giant “shut down several promoted events as part of the takedown we described last week.” The company declined to elaborate, except to confirm that the events were promoted with paid ads. (This is the first time the social-media giant has publicly acknowledged the existence of such events.)

PostPosted: 09/13/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been so, so worried about anti-Muslim protests in Idaho that I'm glad someone is now on top of this national emergency.

No one will ever motivate me through Facebook to be a political protestor, and I recommend this entire country to adopt my immunization methodology: Don't ever read Facebook. Or any other social media.

I'm very serious.

I believe the addiction to social media and smart phones has permanently and significantly destroyed our cultural and educational heritage, and will continue to drive the country further and further toward political and cultural polarization, further toward intolerance, further away from an eclectic and liberal education, and further toward loneliness, depression and other psychological problems.

Pixels thrown at naive minds and unformed psyches by unrelenting partisan social media algorithms, and similar cable TV shows, are no substitute for family, friends, religion and a classical education.
Randy

PostPosted: 09/18/17 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are message boards like this part of social media? I'm not sure if they are or not.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/18/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Are message boards like this part of social media? I'm not sure if they are or not.

They can surely be, and they can contribute to the gloomy trends I posit, if they are just left- or right-wing echo chambers. On the other hand, if a board can have balanced, informed and respectful discussions about all sides of important issues, they could cut against those gloomy trends.

On the third hand, I'm not aware of many such balanced boards. Like cable news networks, cable comedy shows, and Google/Facebook algorithms, they're overwhelmingly partisan echo chambers that simply appeal to and reinforce confirmation biases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: