RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

for sambista re: cloud

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:49 pm    ::: for sambista re: cloud Reply Reply with quote

Can't send this via PM for some reason.

Well, look. This could be a learning experience for me as well. But my experience was that a) nothing from all the music I put on my iPhone about 4 years ago was ever backed up to the iCloud which I was paying an extra 2 bucks for that very specific reason. I had a big enough iPhone to hold most of my music library, I put it on the iPhone, but it never would back up to iCloud. And then, horrors. Apple came out with their 'Music' app that was included in an iOS update. And, B. My music was gone. Gone from my iPhone. I still have it in many other places but this was ridiculous. Right at the exact moment Apple drops this Music app with all of its purchase opportunities, and a free U2 album I never wanted, all of my music disappears.

And, of course, go looking for it on iCloud and it's not there. So then I tried, as you're sort of suggesting, backing up stuff to the iCloud using the website. They don't even have a option there for the user selectively deciding (all of) what they might want to back up. You can back up your settings and other happy horseshoe but there are many things I would like to store in the iCloud that are on my iPhone that you just can't, like I said, my music, and then there's no way of doing it from a Mac or PC logged into the iCloud website. So hey, I'm paying $2 for an additional 50 gigs of data space, if you can figure out how we can actually choose and control what's stored there, I'd be indebted to you.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I may possibly have an answer to the music question, as I recently purchased an iPhone8 and have had many problems getting it to do things that I previously took for granted. One issue that I had was my inability to transfer my music from my PC to the phone.

My considerable research results: The Music app in iOS11 will not accept any music except what you've purchased on iTunes. If your music was purchased from Amazon or 7Digital or ripped from your own CD, you are not allowed to listen to it or store on the Music app. If you previously had it uploaded to iTunes, you may still see it there, but it won't actually load so you can listen to it. Apple offers two solutions to this situation. Option 1 is a subscription to their Match service. You can upload your music to iTunes (where you can't play it), Match checks to see if Apple's music library has a match for that song, and if it does, you can stream the song. Option 2 is a subscription to the Apple Music streaming service. Neither allows a stable download of the song to the phone. If your phone is turned off, battery depleted, or you otherwise lose your connection to the cloud, the song disappears from your phone, so there's no hope of maintaining your music library on your phone.

I found both of these solutions to be extortionate due to the subscription fees, and unsatisfactory due to ringing up more data charges for streaming and being unable to use the services at all when out of cellular range.

My solution is a third party app called AirMore. You install the app on your iPhone and the software on your PC, upload your music to the software, and transfer the music to your phone, where it's stored and playable. You can also do photos and other media, but I haven't tried that. The software is a little wonky, but once up and running, it seems to work pretty well. My only current objection is that their shuffling of songs doesn't work very well, but I can live with that. And Apple can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 04/13/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I may possibly have an answer to the music question, as I recently purchased an iPhone8 and have had many problems getting it to do things that I previously took for granted. One issue that I had was my inability to transfer my music from my PC to the phone.

My considerable research results: The Music app in iOS11 will not accept any music except what you've purchased on iTunes. If your music was purchased from Amazon or 7Digital or ripped from your own CD, you are not allowed to listen to it or store on the Music app. If you previously had it uploaded to iTunes, you may still see it there, but it won't actually load so you can listen to it. Apple offers two solutions to this situation. Option 1 is a subscription to their Match service. You can upload your music to iTunes (where you can't play it), Match checks to see if Apple's music library has a match for that song, and if it does, you can stream the song. Option 2 is a subscription to the Apple Music streaming service. Neither allows a stable download of the song to the phone. If your phone is turned off, battery depleted, or you otherwise lose your connection to the cloud, the song disappears from your phone, so there's no hope of maintaining your music library on your phone.

I found both of these solutions to be extortionate due to the subscription fees, and unsatisfactory due to ringing up more data charges for streaming and being unable to use the services at all when out of cellular range.

My solution is a third party app called AirMore. You install the app on your iPhone and the software on your PC, upload your music to the software, and transfer the music to your phone, where it's stored and playable. You can also do photos and other media, but I haven't tried that. The software is a little wonky, but once up and running, it seems to work pretty well. My only current objection is that their shuffling of songs doesn't work very well, but I can live with that. And Apple can stick it where the sun don't shine.

I use the cloud rarely, but I do use it, if only to transfer word files from iPad to my PC and back.

For those using iTunes and not in the know, do not download iTunes 12.7.4. Stay with 12.7.3 if you haven't. The sync function is screwed up and there is a thread on the Apple communities page. Users are having to wait 2 hours or longer, if at all, to have their content synced. It's a large bug and many are furious at the latest update.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
sambista

PostPosted: 04/14/18 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's way too early for me to wrap my head around this. i know itunes has sucked for years now, but i don't understand some of what was said here. like, what do you mean, i can't have/sync/store in the cloud my own music (like imported cds)?!

even as i didn't understand all of it, i immediately googled "itunes alternative" because i think it's time to cut itunes loose, and it looks like there might be some nice alternatives. the itunes store is altogether useless to me (finding brasilian music, besides the best-selling, is nearly impossible). and now i need to get rid of my remaining cds - boxes of them - in storage. i'll be damned if apple wants to control music i own outright.

i still love apple products, and you couldn't pay me to use a pc. but i still don't like apple mail, apple contacts and apple calendar - one thing microsoft got right was integrating all three in outlook - and the safari browser. i'm not blindly going along.

all bets were off when steve left us.

PostPosted: 04/14/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I actually can put my own mp3s on my iPhone. I just do it through iTunes, which I hate. It's not easy but the instructions are online and so that's not my issue... unless and until they disappear again.

My issue is that none of that stuff is backed up to iCloud. And there doesn't seem to be any way to manually do it. There is only certain things that are deemed an included part of the iCloud platform. If I make a note on my iPhone it's instantly available on my MacBook. Contacts etc. are as well. Certainly setting and stuff. Safari pages, whatever I have opened or bookmarked on one Apple device is instantly there on the other Apple device. Probably pictures or my camera roll but then again I haven't seen anything on my MacBook that looks like it has access to the images I have on my iPhone. But whatever. I mean, that would be nice but I just thought of it right now so... can't be that important.

But not being able to back up even the mp3s we have installed on our iPhone is onerous bullshit. It would be a fraction of our entire library of music. But probably some of the most essential and important to us. Could even be voice recordings of a loved one or something. That you can't back that shit up manually to a cloud service that YOU ARE PAYING FOR is ridiculous. And to think this shit all started with the iPod, a device for playing mp3s.

And isn't it easier if we just call them what they are?mp3s. How do we even allow ourselves to catagorize them into rips, Apple purchases, libraries, whatever. These industries have gotten too far inside our heads. It sucks. We can't trust them at all. We know that. And yet they implant the language that makes our thought processes revolve around their shit.

PostPosted: 04/14/18 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, ANYWAY, sambista. Back to your original question. I would suggest some other cloud service than iCloud if you're seriously in need of some way of backing up or storing the type of things and the volume you're thinking about. I don't have any suggestions as far as specific services. I'm not that far along yet myself. Most sophisticated tech savvy types are miles beyond me when it comes to utilizing this stuff. I'm served now pretty well, (at least IMO) buy what I have. In addition to my own hardware, I have my photography (RAW image files) backed up to the Adobe Create Cloud. And whenever I make a max resolution jpeg from a RAW image file those jpegs are instantly uploaded to Flickr. Also, anything I post to my Wordpress blog, which is usually my best stuff and finished to my liking, is also stored there as a max res jpeg. Oh, and then anything that is for a paying client is uploaded to another site, where it is stored and can be downloaded or prints ordered etc. That thing is the drizzling shits and worth every penny. I just ain't that important of a mother fucker to have more backup than all of that for my images.

And I guess I'm good with my music being on about 6 different hard drives. Anyway. Let me know what you come across.

PostPosted: 04/14/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
it's way too early for me to wrap my head around this. i know itunes has sucked for years now, but i don't understand some of what was said here. like, what do you mean, i can't have/sync/store in the cloud my own music (like imported cds)?!

even as i didn't understand all of it, i immediately googled "itunes alternative" because i think it's time to cut itunes loose, and it looks like there might be some nice alternatives. the itunes store is altogether useless to me (finding brasilian music, besides the best-selling, is nearly impossible). and now i need to get rid of my remaining cds - boxes of them - in storage. i'll be damned if apple wants to control music i own outright.

i still love apple products, and you couldn't pay me to use a pc. but i still don't like apple mail, apple contacts and apple calendar - one thing microsoft got right was integrating all three in outlook - and the safari browser. i'm not blindly going along.

all bets were off when steve left us.

If you find a good third party alternative that let's me transfer music, photos, contacts, calendar, notes, between iPhone and PC, please post it here. I'm cobbling things together with a different program/app for each category and it's very unwieldy.

stever

PostPosted: 04/14/18 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Been using this on desktops, phones & tablets for nigh unto 10 years, probably...check it out:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

Quote:
Features

Play all files, in all formats, including exotic ones, like classic VLC media player.
Play MKV, multiple audio tracks (including 5.1), and subtitles tracks (including SSA!).
Support for network streams, including HLS, MMS or RTSP.
Include video filters, playback speed manipulation, and fine seeking.
A media library, with WiFi Uploads & Downloads, Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, OneDrive & Box.com integration and optional passcode lock.
Web Interface for easy uploads and downloads to/from device.
Integration for bluetooth headsets and AirPlay.
Full support for file servers (SMB / Windows shares and FTP)
Local Network service discovery with UPnP and native support for Plex
On-the-fly audio and subtitles track synchronization
Supports iOS 7.0 or later
Full 64bit support on latest iPhone and latest iPad
Apple Watch extension to control playback, browse the library and more
Completely free, libre and open source.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/15/18 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i've been using vlc for years, but i didn't realize it had broader applications. huh!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: