RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rebecca Lobo elected to Hall of Fame

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RP

PostPosted: 04/01/17 1:36 pm    ::: Rebecca Lobo elected to Hall of Fame Reply Reply with quote

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-jacobs-column-lobo-halloffame-04022017-20170401-story.html

As a contributor, which makes it not so outrageous.

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/01/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Rebecca and wouldn't want to speak negative of her in any way. So, I'm glad she's in for contribution. She's great for the game.

As a basketball player, there would've been a whole lot of shit to explain to all-time greats (i.e. Yolanda Griffith, Natalie Williams, etc.) had she got in as a player.

Congratulations to her, McGraw, Self and McGrady. All deserved.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too outrageous... nobody's buying this Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Angus24

PostPosted: 04/03/17 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure what the criteria are for a "Contributor" are but she certainly would not have made it as a player based on what I saw of her playing career.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing ...I seriously thought this was a april fools joke.Lobo signed with espn in 2003.I guess Lawson will get inducted into the HOF as a contributor in 2018 since espn hired her in 2004,one year after Lobo.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/04/17 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Important to note it isn't the WNBA hall of fame, it's the basketball hall of fame. She was one of the most impactful college players of her era and helped put UConn on the women's basketball map. As a pro she tore her ACL twice, which deprived her of the opportunity to develop. She was a solid WNBA player her first two seasons, especially '98. And she came out of college to do it against experienced pro overseas players. I'm not saying her WNBA career was noteworthy. However, her college career and impact on collegiate women's basketball was. Hall of fame credentials are not necessarily based solely on a player's WNBA career.

PostPosted: 04/04/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I saw that Lobo got in it made me think of how the stardom of the people going in seems to go down over time. Like Thomas "Satch" Sanders. Sanders played for the dominant Celtics teams of the 1960's but never started a single game in a 13 year career. After playing he coached at Harvard for 4 years and then the Celtics for a little over a year.

But in looking at his Wiki page just now, he also went in "as a contributor", whatever that means.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 04/04/17 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Important to note it isn't the WNBA hall of fame, it's the basketball hall of fame. She was one of the most impactful college players of her era and helped put UConn on the women's basketball map. As a pro she tore her ACL twice, which deprived her of the opportunity to develop. She was a solid WNBA player her first two seasons, especially '98. And she came out of college to do it against experienced pro overseas players. I'm not saying her WNBA career was noteworthy. However, her college career and impact on collegiate women's basketball was. Hall of fame credentials are not necessarily based solely on a player's WNBA career.

Exactly. She SHOULD be in the HOF as a player. Like you said, she was phenomenal in college and she helped put a nothing program on the map on it's way to the most successful and high profile in history.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/04/17 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she's a good symbolic pick. She's one of the faces of change, part of what I keep referring to as the "on-ramp" that led to an environment where we could have a WNBA. Her cultural impact outstripped her impact on the court, though we never got to see her at 100% in the post-ABL era. (And I say this as someone who still has the jersey and used to have the shirsey.) As a player, I would have disagreed with the assessment, but as a contributor I think she's a good fit.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: