RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Democrats step in it again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/20/17 11:40 pm    ::: Democrats step in it again Reply Reply with quote

Whose bright idea was to once again make a special Congressional race in a rock solid GOP district a referendum on Trump? Congressional races are rarely about the occupant of the WH. But if course when they lost (again) they made it a victory not for Handel, but for Trump.

The Dems are doing a better job of pumping up Trump than Trump and the GOP are.

Plus, making it a "national" race gave Handel a ready made campaign pitch that Ossoff was the tool of the hated Nancy Pelosi and the national Democratic party, funded by out of state interests, with no ties or loyalty to the people of the district. And they couldn't find a candidate who actually lived in the district?

What a fiasco. So it's (again) a referendum on Trump and once again, Trump "won". Way to go Democrats. Stumbling their way to another blown opportunity.

I'm not holding my breath for any big Dem takeover in '18. Stunning ineptitude will likely be the order of the day again.

justintyme

PostPosted: 06/21/17 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the other hand, these are districts that the Republicans are supposed to win running away.

538 says that the message to democrats is that for 2018 everything is in play, so compete everywhere. So far, the results have been very consistent amongst all these special elections, and if they stay with the same margins across the board, the Dems will take the House in a landslide.

Not to mention if SCOTUS finally determines that we now have a way to quantify gerrymandering and is ready to throw out those districts.

PostPosted: 06/21/17 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
On the other hand, these are districts that the Republicans are supposed to win running away.

538 says that the message to democrats is that for 2018 everything is in play, so compete everywhere. So far, the results have been very consistent amongst all these special elections, and if they stay with the same margins across the board, the Dems will take the House in a landslide.

Not to mention if SCOTUS finally determines that we now have a way to quantify gerrymandering and is ready to throw out those districts.

I didn't say not to compete. I said to stop blowing it up into a referendum on Trump.

The GOP won the South Carolina seat yesterday too, but no one is calling it a huge win for Trump because the Democrats didn't go around trumpeting it as a referendum on Trump like they did in GA, and have in two of the other special elections. It's just brain dead and self-destructive.

The reality is that it wasn't a referendum on Trump. The perception is that it was a referendum on Trump only because the Democrats ran around telling people it was. And then they lost and Trump "won" the referendum on Trump. Brilliant strategy Dems.

Oh, and they might try finding candidates who actually live in the Congressional District they're trying to represent.

justintyme

PostPosted: 06/21/17 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I didn't say not to compete. I said to stop blowing it up into a referendum on Trump.

The GOP won the South Carolina seat yesterday too, but no one is calling it a huge win for Trump because the Democrats didn't go around trumpeting it as a referendum on Trump like they did in GA, and have in two of the other special elections. It's just brain dead and self-destructive.

The reality is that it wasn't a referendum on Trump. The perception is that it was a referendum on Trump only because the Democrats ran around telling people it was. And then they lost and Trump "won" the referendum on Trump. Brilliant strategy Dems.

Oh, and they might try finding candidates who actually live in the Congressional District they're trying to represent.

Yeah, I agree with all this. The finding good candidates thing should be the Dems first (and perhaps only) item on their to do list over the next 8 months or so. Every district should have their best put forward. Someone tailored to that district's circumstances.

The 2018 elections as a whole will be a referendum on Trump. Not every single separate one. All the lay people see when these are called "referendums" is who won or lost. Thus it looks like a Trump "victory" and feeds that Trumpist narrative. Very few people will bother to examine these elections close enough to see that without Trump the GOP candidate likely wins in a landslide rather than squeaking by.

PostPosted: 06/21/17 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

actually, I've heard that some dems were annoyed that Ossoff didn't try hard enough to tie Handel to 45. Monday morning quarterbacking is always right, in hindsight. but he chose to concentrate on healthcare. and we know that the red states are the ones that will feel the impact of the proposed healthcare bill, but it seems they are content to continue to vote against their best interests.

Ossoff grew up in the 6th & intends to move back (he lives only 2 miles away) when his fiancé finishes her schooling (she's a doctor, maybe a resident). so people chose not to vote for him for supporting his fiancé? whatever.

as for outside money, why is that any different than the Koch Bros funding repug candidates who don't live in Indiana (I think that's where their headqtrs is located); or the NRA? a good portion of Ossoff's funds came from individual donors in small denominations. like me. Wink i'd like to hear the stats on that demographic.

were mistakes made? of course. the DNC has only themselves to blame. they have not spent hardly any $$$ on southern state candidates; including finding qualified folks, grooming them & providing boots on the ground to canvas & such. those facts are per ex-DNC party chairman candidate Jamie Harrison, who was the South Carolina Democratic Chairman before running for the head of the DNC. he was my choice for the DNC party head. I hope he stays engaged. its important to have people from outside the Beltway with fresh ideas & a different perspective.

the main takeaway for me was that 52% of the voters in GA seem to prefer a candidate that was against gay marriage, gay adoption, against a living wages, 2nd Amendment advocate. you name it.

then there was that last minute PAC who tried to link him to the baseball shooting incident. it was denounced by both candidates, but the damage had already been done in some voter's minds.

and how about the voter suppression via the moving of poll sites on a last minute basis without the info going on the election site website till the day before? shady as hell, to be sure.

otoh, the fact that each of the 5 races have been in solid red districts where the repugs have been consistently elected by double digits & those numbers were decreased to low single digits. that bodes well for the future, imo.

if anyone is interested in learning about Jamie Harrison, here's a link. you'll need to scroll down. https://mic.com/articles/163814/everything-you-need-to-know-about-who-s-running-for-dnc-chair#.8dsSFcGfb

anyway, i'm disappointed, but not discouraged. I think the dems made some very important inroads, even in the losses. I continue to believe that the dems are in a good position for 2018; especially when the heavy repug states start seeing their healthcare being taken away.

PostPosted: 06/21/17 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Close only counts in horseshoes.

But, hey, you can pat yourself on the back next year when the Dems cut their loss margins in half and don't pick up a single seat.

They've had FIVE congressional elections so far since November and are ZERO for five.

Just keep trying the same old failed approach. While you're at it, might as well nominate Hillary again in 2020. That worked just as well as the Congressional strategy.

Guess I should get prepared for eight years of Trump and GOP control of Congress.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/21/17 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Until the effects of no-audit balloting and Interstate Crosscheck, to start with, are rectified, I expect Douchepublicans to win all races polling shows are tied or the Dem has a <10 pt. lead.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: