RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tully signs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/05 9:44 am    ::: Tully signs Reply Reply with quote

With the SASS!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12211432%255E10914,00.html

PostPosted: 02/10/05 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like AD's trip was not as prosperous as she would have liked. Now Seattle has no veteran back up point guard and still needs help at the two spot. This might be very good news for Sheri Sam and Adia Barnes, however.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/10/05 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see the words "is set" and "will sign". I don't see anything being completed yet; I'll hold off comments until it's a done deal

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 02/10/05 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Semeka Randall retiring, that opens up a guard spot. SASS had problems with their guard corps last year, especially with injuries.

Who knows, maybe they are just trying to assemble the shortest pg's in the league.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/10/05 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Who knows, maybe they are just trying to assemble the shortest pg's in the league.

They'd have to bring Debbie Black back to the franchise in some capacity if they really wanted the full collection Wink

Aw man, sf.org is not going to be a fun place to hang today.

PostPosted: 02/10/05 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sf.org is rarely a fun place to visit during the off-season. I am shocked that none of their Aussie connection even broke the story over night...they are falling down on the job over there.

Seattle will now be forced to use Greco, and that might not be too bad for them. But if they lose Barnes, too, that will be the loss of their two strongest defensive players.

I have to say as a WNBA fan in Texas, it still won't be a game until Tully hits the floor, though.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/10/05 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the other side, why?

Pee Wee starts, and what about Toccara Williams? She did pretty well last year, and is similar to Pee Wee in style. Does this mean one of them is on their way out of town?

Maybe the Pee Wee to Minnesota is still possible?

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 02/10/05 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dts:

I always find it interesting when people start talking about Pee Wee getting out of San Antonio. Granted, last year she was not happy there, but they now have a new coach, a real coach, and that could do wonders for her on the "happiness" scale. And think about it, what point guard would not want to play along side Marie Ferdinand? I don't know if Goodie will be back (FA), but they also have LaToya Thomas and don't forget the biggest target under the basket in the world.

I like Toccara and Tai Dillard, too, but I don't see Pee Wee leaving SA at this point...but something might already be in the works with her. She is not a free agent, so Minny would have to give to get for her. I think they have a very solid core of players on the Lynx and would hate to see them mess with it very much...save for getting rid of Darling so there will be room for Harrower.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 02/10/05 12:19 pm    ::: Darling's staying Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
I like Toccara and Tai Dillard, too, but I don't see Pee Wee leaving SA at this point...but something might already be in the works with her. She is not a free agent, so Minny would have to give to get for her. I think they have a very solid core of players on the Lynx and would hate to see them mess with it very much...save for getting rid of Darling so there will be room for Harrower.

Like every other Lynx fan I know, I'd like to see at least an experimental lineup with Harrower starting at the 1 instead of Darling. That could happen if Harrower does come back here.

What won't happen is Darling leaving the team. I have the feeling that Suzie's committed to Darling for at least another year. Frankly, that might be OK. Taj McW-F took over a year to fully come back from pregnancy; HD could be in the same situation-- let's see.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/05 12:33 pm    ::: Re: Darling's staying Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Taj McW-F took over a year to fully come back from pregnancy; HD could be in the same situation-- let's see.

So did Sheryl Swoopes, Maria Stepanova, Niele Ivey, LeCoe Willingham, and every other player that's gone through it. It takes a long time to get back to 100% after pregnancy.

PostPosted: 02/10/05 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's another unsettling thought: Seattle won last year's title, and its two top players are most definitely coming back. They're a reasonably strong club... and yet Tully decides that she'd be better off in San Antonio of all places? What does that say about the confidence of the Storm? What does that say about our chances of having a back-to-back champion this year?

PostPosted: 02/10/05 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
dts:

I always find it interesting when people start talking about Pee Wee getting out of San Antonio. Granted, last year she was not happy there, but they now have a new coach, a real coach, and that could do wonders for her on the "happiness" scale. And think about it, what point guard would not want to play along side Marie Ferdinand? I don't know if Goodie will be back (FA), but they also have LaToya Thomas and don't forget the biggest target under the basket in the world.

4ever, actually I was looking at it the other way; not that Pee Wee would want to leave, but maybe Dan the Man has a different idea of what a PG should be (see Darling, Helen). Maybe Toccara has trade value we don't know about either, in a package?

It just seems very crowded, and very different in style if Tully signs there.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/10/05 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It could be SASS offered more money. This is one move Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil made that I actually like. Tully gives that team a true backup point guard with a good three point shot, plus some defensive intensity.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 02/10/05 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Here's another unsettling thought: Seattle won last year's title, and its two top players are most definitely coming back. They're a reasonably strong club... and yet Tully decides that she'd be better off in San Antonio of all places? What does that say about the confidence of the Storm? What does that say about our chances of having a back-to-back champion this year?

First of all, Seattle can not keep all the pieces of last year's team together due to salary cap issues...AD barely got it done last year to put that team together in the first place. At least with Tully leaving they have some breathing room under the cap...and Greco can be utilized more in her second year.

Secondly, could it be about the money? I am as shocked as anyone that Hughes would have even been looking at Tully. She is nearing the end of her career, so I guess she wants to make the money while she can.

Thirdly, with the salary cap and free agency as they are set up in the W at this time, I don't think we will see any more Championship Dynasties. Even back-to-backs might well be difficult to come by with the way talant has to be be distributed these days.

One additional thing to think about though, is that Betty Lennox' stock just went way up in trying to keep her on the Storm. I still think there might be a small bidding war for her somewhere, but I know she likes playing for AD.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 02/10/05 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would most certainly think that there are teams that would benefit from pushing up Lennox's salary. Houston, Indi, and Charlotte come to mind.

Still, I am not sure that Seattle will be in too much trouble given that Tully is gone, Simone would seem doubtful, and that it seems as though Sam won't be back. There won't be as big of a cap issue, but definitely less of a veteran pressence. But as long as you keep Special K, Lo-Jack, Sue, and Betty, I would think that you can build around that core.

PostPosted: 02/10/05 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bevilaqua's knee is rumored to be less than 100%, and she commands a larger salary than most.

Sheri Sam's burned some bridges. Simone Edwards is not going to be back. Adia Barnes will most likely not be wearing a Storm uniform next year.

The Storm has enough cap room to keep Lennox. Their starters are going to stay intact, give or take, and the bench is going to look slightly different.

I'd say today's biggest concern on StormFans.org shouldn't be that Tully Bevilaqua has signed with the SASS, but that Seattle Basketball LLC has had to request millions more from its investors in order to defray their recent $200M operating shortfall and to remain solvent.

Quote:
sf.org is rarely a fun place to visit during the off-season. I am shocked that none of their Aussie connection even broke the story over night...they are falling down on the job over there

Personal issues, perhaps?

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reason it didn't break on Stormfans is that they won't let me join up. Apparently I would need a non-web-based email address, which I don't have.

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No worries, pilight...it is there loss...and you have found better company over here, it seems to me. At least basketball is the major topic of discussion on this board.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
No worries, pilight...it is there loss...and you have found better company over here, it seems to me. At least basketball is the major topic of discussion on this board.

Except for occasional off topic things like correct English - [their loss]
lol!
Sorry 4evr, couldn't resist!

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I usually have impecable grammar...I have obviously spent way too much time on these boards and fallen under the spell of some sloppiness.

I had better clean my act up before starting that doctorate program, hunh?

Off topics are fine, one can just tune them out or ignore them. When I want to talk basketball, that's the major reason I would come to a board that references basketball. I don't give a rat's rear about some gum wrappers when I am awaiting the lastest news regarding my favorite sport.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a really good board.
I'm glad SFO has come here rather than "there"

inky

PostPosted: 02/10/05 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
I usually have impecable grammar...

Well, if your grammar were impeccable instead, you probably wouldn't have so many problems. Smile

inky

PostPosted: 02/10/05 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
I usually have impecable grammar...

Well, if your grammar were impeccable instead, you probably wouldn't have so many problems. Smile

inky

PostPosted: 02/10/05 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has bothered me all day. I think StormFans.org is good for the WNBA, just like this board is. There are entertaining writers there, the posters know the game, and they've formed a community, just like this board has. Their "Game Reports" are popular amongst people in the league, and they are the source of gossip and good natured ribbing from Charlotte to Sacramento.

The only problem I have over there is that some are thin-skinned. There are a few posters who seem to snipe back and forth about little things, and during the times that they've had offensive people post [Sue Bird stalkers, bible-thumping/preachy homophobes, garden variety trolls...] they rail up in arms rather than let the psychos burn out on their own and go away. There are also a few junior high aged girls who heart Sue Bird a little too cloyingly, but that's all part of the sport.

I don't post there, but I'm glad I can visit there every week. The WNBA is big enough for local teams to have their own fan sites and for this site to exist, too. What if more teams had fan sites like SF.org? I hope we can be big enough to avoid tearing down others just because they're not us, and acknowledge that there's room enough for all of us, national sites and local, too.

inky

PostPosted: 02/10/05 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has bothered me all day. I think StormFans.org is good for the WNBA, just like this board is. There are entertaining writers there, the posters know the game, and they've formed a community, just like this board has. Their "Game Reports" are popular amongst people in the league, and they are the source of gossip and good natured ribbing from Charlotte to Sacramento.

The only problem I have over there is that some are thin-skinned. There are a few posters who seem to snipe back and forth about little things, and during the times that they've had offensive people post [Sue Bird stalkers, bible-thumping/preachy homophobes, garden variety trolls...] they rail up in arms rather than let the psychos burn out on their own and go away. There are also a few junior high aged girls who heart Sue Bird a little too cloyingly, but that's all part of the sport.

I don't post there, but I'm glad I can visit there every week. The WNBA is big enough for local teams to have their own fan sites and for this site to exist, too. What if more teams had fan sites like SF.org? I hope we can be big enough to avoid tearing down others just because they're not us, and acknowledge that there's room enough for all of us, national sites and local, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: