RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Doris Burke bids farewell to women’s basketball assignment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/03/17 5:19 pm    ::: Doris Burke bids farewell to women’s basketball assignment Reply Reply with quote

Doris Burke bids farewell to women’s basketball assignments

EDITOR’S NOTE: ESPN analyst Doris Burke, a former women’s college basketball player at Providence College, has been a notable face in the game for over three decades. The conclusion of the Women’s Final Four in Dallas last night marked Burke’s final women’s college basketball game for the network. She has been a part of the Women’s Final Four in various capacities over the years, working for Westwood One Radio (2001 and 2002), as an ESPN sideline reporter (2003-05) and her current role as a game analyst (2006-2017). While she will continue her work on ESPN’s NBA and men’s college basketball coverage, Burke wanted to thank those that have made the game so special to her...

http://www.espnfrontrow.com/2017/04/doris-burke-bids-farewell-womens-basketball-assignments/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/17 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the risk of being thought tacky, I don't feel bad saying I won't miss her. She's annoyed me for years and I feel that there are a lot better commentators out there.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Praise the Lord. Prayers are sometimes answered. It was time.
I look forward to hearing Kara, LaChina, or Kristi next year!

And best of luck to her in other endeavors.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/17 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The most successful female TV basketball commentator ever.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/17 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What prompted that move? I guess she was even more upset about her home team losing than the video suggested.

Is she taking her lapdog O'Brien with her? (we can hope)

Can we trade and get Fran Fraschilla full time on WCBB?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/03/17 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The most successful female TV basketball commentator ever.

+1 She annoyed everyone with her Uconn biased but the attention she brought to the game will forever be appreciated! Now Bye Felicia ✋

PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
What prompted that move? I guess she was even more upset about her home team losing than the video suggested.

Is she taking her lapdog O'Brien with her? (we can hope)

Can we trade and get Fran Fraschilla full time on WCBB?

I heard Dave without Doris sometime this year and thought he was ok. It's just the two of them together that drive me nuts. There are some P12 announcers like that too. Separately they're ok, but put them together and it can get gross.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I met Doris at the FF of 2011, in the lobby of some hotel where many of the hoops royalty were staying. She was with Trey Wingo & entourage. She was so very friendly, in contrast to his distant aloofness. She deigned to allow a quick selfie with her, and was very warm about it.

That said, she never had the most endearing 'style' about her broadcasting. I didn't hate it as much as some here, but....ya. Maybe it's time to move along. She IS (imo) one of the most knowledgeable commentators out there.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A big loss, imo. I enjoyed her insight despite her bias at times.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/03/17 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it was clear she had let her knowledge and awareness of the WBB scene go by the wayside. She knows hoops, and she'll be just fine with her NBA gig. But it was definitely time for her to move aside and let talent with more commitment to WBB move up the ladder.

(now with spelling variations)
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/03/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm in the hate her on women's games/love her on men's games camp so this is pretty good news from my perspective.
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
I'm in the hate her on women's games/love her on men's games camp so this is pretty good news from my perspective.

Same. Her UConn waxing got really annoying in Dallas.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She is an accomplished sports commentator in terms of her presentation, but I have always felt that when you're a game announcer on the national stage, you need to just present the game and plays, and let the players sell themselves.

Sure if they are outstanding "All-World" athletes and future HOFers that take over games, there's nothing wrong with shouting them out. But to clearly stand in one team's corner during games is to stand outside of the other team's corner, and that's not what you're being paid to do. ESPN doesn't get broadcasting deals with conferences to have their game commentators talk about one team all the time, and not the other as if they don't belong.

It's unprofessional, and hurts the product more than promotes it. And if Burke does that with the NBA, pretty soon the NBA will speak up to ESPN about it. You can do it on the dime of a particular team if you're broadcasting for just one program/franchise, but not when you do it for an entire league/conference/association....

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad I can remember back when Burke was really good.

Recently though, I tired of how she comported herself. You know what I mean, Dave O'Brien?!

PostPosted: 04/04/17 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
At the risk of being thought tacky, I don't feel bad saying I won't miss her. She's annoyed me for years and I feel that there are a lot better commentators out there.

Somehow I don't think many people here will judge you for saying that... Wink

sambista

PostPosted: 04/04/17 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow. how y'all just use up a person and give so little thought to kicking them to the curb when you're done. (see all previous threads praising, then panning, players, coaches, anyone.)

when the w was a baby and espn and the others were finding their way through a range of on-air talent, doris burke stood head and shoulders above, giving the game in general desperately needed legitimacy and women's basketball commentary in particular its deserved gravitas. now, after 27 years of that dedication, y'all wanna critique her so harshly?

how about a simple "thank you" for her role in helping build this league and leave it at that? and let's see how tack sharp you are after 27 years in your chosen field.

PostPosted: 04/04/17 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always felt good when I saw Doris Burke was on a broadcast because I knew I'd get professional commentary ... I never noticed the UConn bias everyone talks about as I attributed it more to the nature of the medium.

And it was irrelevant anyway. She was and is extremely knowledgeable and does her job well. Her success on the men's side further validates women's basketball, I believe, but I will definitely miss her on women's broadcasts.

PostPosted: 04/04/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Absolutely, and the fact that some of you are supposed to be women's basketball fans, well truthfully you are not, just a bunch of whiny ........ , you can fill in the blanks. And Robinson is more of a homer than you can call DB and talks like a little girl. DB crossed between both games, you don't get more respect than that in the industry.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/04/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was outstanding as the Liberty color commentator back when. Maybe doing multiple gigs didn't give her the time to be as in-depth as she was back then but I've always appreciated her knowledge and enjoyed her commentary.

PostPosted: 04/04/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
wow. how y'all just use up a person and give so little thought to kicking them to the curb when you're done. (see all previous threads praising, then panning, players, coaches, anyone.)

when the w was a baby and espn and the others were finding their way through a range of on-air talent, doris burke stood head and shoulders above, giving the game in general desperately needed legitimacy and women's basketball commentary in particular its deserved gravitas. now, after 27 years of that dedication, y'all wanna critique her so harshly?

how about a simple "thank you" for her role in helping build this league and leave it at that? and let's see how tack sharp you are after 27 years in your chosen field.

Where is the "Like button" or even the "heart"?
Well said. Kudos to Doris for helping this league get started and sticking with it.

Peace, sambista

PEACE
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/04/17 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The revisionist history is pretty comical. Some of you are acting as if she just died and you think you need to find something nice to say.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 04/07/17 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Burke was a guest on LaChina Robinson's espn podcast, she said that she basically is not home but a handful of days during the season because she is announcing NBA & college game. And that "people" [which sounded like maybe were her bosses] kept asking her why she was still announcing women's games when her NBA gig was going so well. She said on the podcast that it was because of how much she loves women's basketball & she wouldn't have any of the opportunities she has now w/o women's basketball & she wants to continue to support it.

I think this move to men's games only has been coming for a bit. Because she does so many NBA games & is well liked & does a good job w/ those games. And, I think, probably better paid.

For all of Burke's effusive admiration of UConn, she is a good announcer (especially in non-UConn games) and well respected within the game & the broadcasting field. Burke has been part of a group of women, including Pam Ward & Beth Mowins & others, doing the work to open up announcing to women & more than as the 3rd sideline reporter.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/07/17 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I always felt good when I saw Doris Burke was on a broadcast because I knew I'd get professional commentary ... I never noticed the UConn bias everyone talks about as I attributed it more to the nature of the medium.

And it was irrelevant anyway. She was and is extremely knowledgeable and does her job well. Her success on the men's side further validates women's basketball, I believe, but I will definitely miss her on women's broadcasts.

Me too.

greg5222

PostPosted: 04/08/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smokey Robinson wrote a song that he and the Miracles sang. The lyrics goes something like this: " You only build me up baby baby. You only build me up baby baby. You only build me up to tear me down down down." Kudos for a job well done Doris. Good luck!

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 04/08/17 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's become a major NBA and men's basketball analyst and has broken barriers for women in basketball broadcasting.

Folks might recall a time when Robin Roberts was the lead studio announcer for women's basketball on ESPN. It's a talent business. Talent moves on.

I heard a podcast with Megdall earlier this season and while her expertise in the game overall is incredible, it was clear she's less informed on the women's game - when particularly asked about the WNBA draft she admitted she hadn't read up on the prospects. It's just not her focus anymore. Overall, probably time for a new broadcaster like Lawson to take her seat.

(And yes, her UConn bias was a bit tough for me - but she is an esteemed and respected broadcaster).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: