RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Sources: Arkansas close to hiring Mike Neighbors WBB coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hyperetic



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 5046
Location: Fayetteville


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:40 pm    ::: Sources: Arkansas close to hiring Mike Neighbors WBB coach Reply Reply with quote

Arkansas is expected to name Mike Neighbors the Razorbacks' women's basketball coach, multiple sources have told WholeHogSports.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/02/sources-arkansas-close-hiring-mike-neighbors-women/
Carol Anne



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 1482
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:17 am    ::: Re: Sources: Arkansas close to hiring Mike Neighbors WBB coa Reply Reply with quote

UW women’s basketball coach Mike Neighbors nearing return to Arkansas

...He broke into college coaching with the Razorbacks back in 1999 as the director of basketball operations....

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/uw-womens-basketball-coach-mike-neighbors-nearing-return-to-arkansas/


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5442



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The articles mention that Neighbors has been the Washington head coach for 4 years. Looking at last year's roster, the top 7 players in minutes for the UW Final Four team all signed in high school to play for Kevin McGuff, including top recruit Plum. But of course, he did coach them, and for most of their college career.

Looking at this year's team, it seems like next year is going to see a dropoff for UW as the last of McGuff's recruits leave. They could be down near the bottom of the Pac-12 unless they have a good incoming class and/or they have some talent at the end of their bench. Three starters graduate including two all-Americans, as well as the sixth player.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3384
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/glory_posts/the-dream-job/#sm.0000gtelyno3rd4az531lv7hj0rgf

It's official.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11687



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is unfortunate. Washington deserves a break.

What is it about this job that has resulted in two straight good coaches bailing out in just a few years for what are arguably lateral jobs at best, and in this case, probably a step down?

Seattle is one of the best, most livable fun cities in the country, UW has a beautiful campus, the city has provided good support to the team, I expect they will match any salary package, certainly from Arkansas.

So why are they searching again for a coach?


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3935
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Seattle is one of the best, most livable fun cities in the country, UW has a beautiful campus, the city has provided good support to the team, I expect they will match any salary package, certainly from Arkansas.

So why are they searching again for a coach?


I don't much care, but I do know that most things in life are driven by subjectivity and opinions rather than objectivity and facts.

Seattle is expensive, dreary, cold, and perhaps alien corn to Neighbors. Arkansas is the opposite.

Plus, the big gun players at Washington are history.
LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 365



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Neighbors is going into a worse player situation at Arkansas with seven scholarship players and the top player transferring. As noted, his drop off in recruiting from year one to year four in Seattle has been immense.

AD Jen Cohen didn't exactly hit a home run with Hopkins replacing Romar but since Neighbors' jump has been in the works for months, it's rumored that the new womens coach has already been selected and will be announced within the week. If the name I heard is accurate, this is big news and Washington fans should be more than happy.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11687



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Seattle is expensive [Just money to be addressed in contract negotiations], dreary, cold [I must assume you've never lived there], and perhaps alien corn to Neighbors. Arkansas is the opposite [Hot, humid with thunderstorms and tornadoes. BTW, Fayetteville averages 48 inches of rain per year compared to Seattle's 36 inches, and Fayetteville's average January low is 26 degrees compared to Seattle's 36 degrees. Seattle has a much higher "comfort index" than Fayetteville (79 to 51).]

Plus, the big gun players at Washington are history. [In contrast to Arkansas which hasn't had any.]


HomerCecil



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Posts: 974



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also feel like in the cases of both McGuff and Neighbors, both left UW to get closer to "home" and didn't have connections to the Pacific northwest. I'm not sure it's a knock on the job, the school, the city, or anything in particular.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5442



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Seattle is expensive [Just money to be addressed in contract negotiations], dreary, cold [I must assume you've never lived there], and perhaps alien corn to Neighbors. Arkansas is the opposite [Hot, humid with thunderstorms and tornadoes. BTW, Fayetteville averages 48 inches of rain per year compared to Seattle's 36 inches, and Fayetteville's average January low is 26 degrees compared to Seattle's 36 degrees. Seattle has a much higher "comfort index" than Fayetteville (79 to 51).]

Plus, the big gun players at Washington are history. [In contrast to Arkansas which hasn't had any.]


Rainfall is not a good way to compare Washington/Oregon weather with other parts of the country. That area has a cloud cover for the majority of the year. You cannot see the sky on most days. It isn't raining most of the time the sky is covered with clouds. And when it does rain it often just drizzles. Going to Seattle/Portland in the summer months gives a completely different picture since the weather becomes like California in that period.

Seattle is the cloudiest city in the US


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11687



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:


Rainfall is not a good way to compare Washington/Oregon weather with other parts of the country. That area has a cloud cover for the majority of the year. You cannot see the sky on most days.


Another person who's never lived there I see.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5442



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:


Rainfall is not a good way to compare Washington/Oregon weather with other parts of the country. That area has a cloud cover for the majority of the year. You cannot see the sky on most days.


Another person who's never lived there I see.


You don't have to live there to know their weather. Just visiting many times in the winter is enough. You need to have another look at the data. Seattle is America's cloudiest city. And that website is rating days of 3/4 clouds or more. If they did 100% clouds Seattle would be even further in the lead. What you need to claim is that the person who published that website has never lived there or made up the numbers.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11687



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:


Rainfall is not a good way to compare Washington/Oregon weather with other parts of the country. That area has a cloud cover for the majority of the year. You cannot see the sky on most days.


Another person who's never lived there I see.


You don't have to live there to know their weather. Just visiting many times in the winter is enough. You need to have another look at the data. Seattle is America's cloudiest city. And that website is rating days of 3/4 clouds or more. If they did 100% clouds Seattle would be even further in the lead. What you need to claim is that the person who published that website has never lived there or made up the numbers.


Yep, it's​ cloudy in the winter. Of course many other places are buried in snow then. And it is gloriously beautiful in the summer (in contrast to hot humid Arkansas, for example,)


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2151
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:


Rainfall is not a good way to compare Washington/Oregon weather with other parts of the country. That area has a cloud cover for the majority of the year. You cannot see the sky on most days.


Another person who's never lived there I see.


You don't have to live there to know their weather. Just visiting many times in the winter is enough. You need to have another look at the data. Seattle is America's cloudiest city. And that website is rating days of 3/4 clouds or more. If they did 100% clouds Seattle would be even further in the lead. What you need to claim is that the person who published that website has never lived there or made up the numbers.


Yep, it's​ cloudy in the winter. Of course many other places are buried in snow then. And it is gloriously beautiful in the summer (in contrast to hot humid Arkansas, for example,)


Why are you so upset and defensive because a couple of people don't really like Seattle? I have never lived there but have visited on a couple of occasions and different parts of the year. I love a lot of what Seattle has to offer but did also find it kind of gloomy when I didn't see the sun for almost 2 weeks straight. However, the fish market, the scenery, the ocean, etc were awesome.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11687



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:


Rainfall is not a good way to compare Washington/Oregon weather with other parts of the country. That area has a cloud cover for the majority of the year. You cannot see the sky on most days.


Another person who's never lived there I see.


You don't have to live there to know their weather. Just visiting many times in the winter is enough. You need to have another look at the data. Seattle is America's cloudiest city. And that website is rating days of 3/4 clouds or more. If they did 100% clouds Seattle would be even further in the lead. What you need to claim is that the person who published that website has never lived there or made up the numbers.


Yep, it's​ cloudy in the winter. Of course many other places are buried in snow then. And it is gloriously beautiful in the summer (in contrast to hot humid Arkansas, for example,)


Why are you so upset and defensive because a couple of people don't really like Seattle? I have never lived there but have visited on a couple of occasions and different parts of the year. I love a lot of what Seattle has to offer but did also find it kind of gloomy when I didn't see the sun for almost 2 weeks straight. However, the fish market, the scenery, the ocean, etc were awesome.


I'm not upset. Just sort of feel sorry for a nice school in a beautiful city that's actually supporting women's basketball losing two good coaches in a row to lateral at best moves. Doesn't seem "fair". And probably isn't good for the game if fans get fed up and lose interest.

Hey I understand it's a personal decision, like any job. If Neighbors likes it better in Ark for whatever reason, good for him. Just sorry for UW fans.


LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 365



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle is one of the world's great cities and UW is a great institution. Women's basketball was never huge but getting 10,000 fans to watch Kelsey Plum pursue the scoring record proves that there's an audience for the game. Everyone will be just fine but the administration chose two coaches who didn't want to be there. And it didn't help that they were promised twice the salary, something that few if any Pac schools can do, nor should they.

Wait a few Art. Things might really look up.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20497



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Neighbors is going into a worse player situation at Arkansas with seven scholarship players and the top player transferring. As noted, his drop off in recruiting from year one to year four in Seattle has been immense.

AD Jen Cohen didn't exactly hit a home run with Hopkins replacing Romar but since Neighbors' jump has been in the works for months, it's rumored that the new womens coach has already been selected and will be announced within the week. If the name I heard is accurate, this is big news and Washington fans should be more than happy.


I was Crying or Very sad to hear about Neighbors' leaving. But wish him well. And if you are right that the replacement is quality, that would be great. The PAC needs continuing/improving quality. I do always feel bad for kids that are recruited by a coach who then leaves...but you can't expect a coach to stay in one place forever. Even Tara, Muffet, Geno, Mulkey, Coale etc...who we look at as fixtures, will someday move on and, especially for Geno and Tara, it will be sooner rather than later. So it's just a chance you take when you are recruited.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou


Last edited by myrtle on 04/03/17 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3935
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess Art doesn't think most things in life are based on subjectivity and opinions.

Who cares.

Let the speculation about the next Washington coach begin, whom we are told will please people (but which is also subject to personal opinion and subjectivity). I'll guess:

-- Niele Ivey
-- Beth Cunningham
-- Morgan Valley
-- Tyler Summitt
-- Giuliana Mendiola
-- Jenny Boucek
Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4505



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
This is unfortunate. Washington deserves a break.

What is it about this job that has resulted in two straight good coaches bailing out in just a few years for what are arguably lateral jobs at best, and in this case, probably a step down?

Seattle is one of the best, most livable fun cities in the country, UW has a beautiful campus, the city has provided good support to the team, I expect they will match any salary package, certainly from Arkansas.

So why are they searching again for a coach?


Agree with most of what you said but about the money thing is that really the case? They paid Neigbors $350k, doesn't McGuff get a lot more than that at Ohio State? I'm guessing Neighbors will make a lot more at Arkansas. Maybe the Pac 12 teams pay a little less, or its outweighed by the high cost of living? Does any other league have multiple head coaches taking lateral jobs? Nikki Caldwell (Fargas) from UCLA to LSU, Joanne Boyle from Cal to Virginia, Kevin McGuff from Washington to Ohio State, Mike Neighbors from Washington to Arkansas.


LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 365



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You missed a couple:

La Vonda Wagner
Tia Jackson
Jody Runge
Marianne Stanley


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3384
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I guess Art doesn't think most things in life are based on subjectivity and opinions.

Who cares.

Let the speculation about the next Washington coach begin, whom we are told will please people (but which is also subject to personal opinion and subjectivity). I'll guess:

-- Niele Ivey
-- Beth Cunningham
-- Morgan Valley
-- Tyler Summitt
-- Giuliana Mendiola
-- Jenny Boucek


Mark Campbell.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2151
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Does any other league have multiple head coaches taking lateral jobs? Nikki Caldwell (Fargas) from UCLA to LSU, Joanne Boyle from Cal to Virginia, Kevin McGuff from Washington to Ohio State, Mike Neighbors from Washington to Arkansas.


They all went back to a place they knew or an area they were from. But all that said, I really don't consider Washington to Ohio State a lateral move. Ohio State, with their resources, facilities, recruiting base, etc would be considered by me to be one of the best jobs in the nation.


LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 365



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caldwell, McGuff and now Neighbors got their salaries doubled.


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4505



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Caldwell, McGuff and now Neighbors got their salaries doubled.


To get your salary doubled while going to a much lower cost of living area is a huge jump. I'd be interested in comparing salaries but is it possible that the PAC 12 pays the lowest amount for WBB head coaches amongst the Power 5?


LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 365



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Pac is the lowest in the P5, good for them. These wbb salaries are totally out of control. As I posted, womens basketball at LSU lost 4 million dollars last season. In 2010, Cal tried to cut five sports because of their fiscal problems. UW is apparently several million dollars in the red.


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4505



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
If the Pac is the lowest in the P5, good for them. These wbb salaries are totally out of control. As I posted, womens basketball at LSU lost 4 million dollars last season. In 2010, Cal tried to cut five sports because of their fiscal problems. UW is apparently several million dollars in the red.


You are not wrong, coaches salaries in college athletics keep going up and then they keep saying there's not enough money to pay the players but then schools like UCF can build lazy river's and all this stuff to attract athletes. I'm just wondering if that could be a cause for some of them leaving.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11687



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Caldwell, McGuff and now Neighbors got their salaries doubled.


But that assumes UW wouldn't have matched it.

Coaches get huge raises all the time by telling the AD "X school is offering me $$$$. I'd love to stay here but I owe it to my family to take the money unless you can match it/ beat it." I've never heard of Washington losing out on a coach they wanted over money.

If they were actually getting offered double what they were making to leave, they probably could have made double to stay too.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11687



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Does any other league have multiple head coaches taking lateral jobs? Nikki Caldwell (Fargas) from UCLA to LSU, Joanne Boyle from Cal to Virginia, Kevin McGuff from Washington to Ohio State, Mike Neighbors from Washington to Arkansas.


They all went back to a place they knew or an area they were from. But all that said, I really don't consider Washington to Ohio State a lateral move. Ohio State, with their resources, facilities, recruiting base, etc would be considered by me to be one of the best jobs in the nation.


Hmmmm.

Seattle or Columbus. Seattle.......Columbus.........Seattle........Columbus.....
That one's pretty easy if you've been to both.


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4505



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doubling his pay is one thing but to get $1 million in buy out money is also very attractive so maybe that played a role in why maybe they didn't match.

And really I think doubling his salary is for Plum and Co. doing so well but is there any track record to show he will continue to bring in the type of talent at Washington needed to win big? Like I said the current roster and future recruiting is not at the same level as it was under McGuff. So to double his pay for probably upcoming seasons that will not be at the Sweet 16/Final 4 level maybe isn't worth it to a new AD who didn't hire Neighbors so likely isn't as attached. AD's seem to love to make their own hires when possible


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2151
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Does any other league have multiple head coaches taking lateral jobs? Nikki Caldwell (Fargas) from UCLA to LSU, Joanne Boyle from Cal to Virginia, Kevin McGuff from Washington to Ohio State, Mike Neighbors from Washington to Arkansas.


They all went back to a place they knew or an area they were from. But all that said, I really don't consider Washington to Ohio State a lateral move. Ohio State, with their resources, facilities, recruiting base, etc would be considered by me to be one of the best jobs in the nation.


Hmmmm.

Seattle or Columbus. Seattle.......Columbus.........Seattle........Columbus.....
That one's pretty easy if you've been to both.


I certainly wasn't comparing the 2 cities (yes, been to both on more than one occasion each). But, in terms of finances, facilities, recruiting base, TV, and just about any other thing that really matters to building a national championship caliber program, Ohio State has it and is among the best jobs out there.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4373



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I guess Art doesn't think most things in life are based on subjectivity and opinions.

Who cares.

Let the speculation about the next Washington coach begin, whom we are told will please people (but which is also subject to personal opinion and subjectivity). I'll guess:

-- Niele Ivey
-- Beth Cunningham
-- Morgan Valley
-- Tyler Summitt
-- Giuliana Mendiola
-- Jenny Boucek



They can't have Niele or Beth. Wink

Why would they want Tyler? Only thing he's done is show he's not to be trusted.



_________________
neverthless she persisted
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20497



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:


Seattle or Columbus. Seattle.......Columbus.........Seattle........Columbus.....
That one's pretty easy if you've been to both.


Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't stand the deep South or even the mid Atlantic in Summer. Way too hot and humid! If you live there as a kid though, I think it feels like what is natural. Then there's all those people who absolutely love Florida, and I can't figure out why since it's too hot and too humid for me for about 10 months out of the year! Going to visit in December or January is ok.

So anyway...to each their own.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10661
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
What is it about this job that has resulted in two straight good coaches bailing out in just a few years....


....and what does their orientation have to do with anything??? Shocked Razz

KIDDINGGGG!

This *possibility* was mentioned earlier, and I thought the same thing...."Seattle/Fayetteville"??? Really? But then....I saw the 'thing' where Mike and Vic were hugging at their last matchup, and how it was all a big reunion. I didn't realize Mike was a Good Ol' Boy. So it's a bit of a homecoming for him. God bless him. And WA will no doubt draw a competent, competitive coach, moreso now than ever with their heightened profile of the past couple years, no?



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5442



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
If the Pac is the lowest in the P5, good for them. These wbb salaries are totally out of control.


I agree the salaries are outrageous (but for more sports than just WBB). And it is all ultimately wasted money. If the colleges all put a cap on coaches salaries at 200K, then they'd still have virtually the same people coaching (maybe a few could find a gig better than 200K) and the ultimate results would be the same. Well, the results would be the same as far as 50% of the teams winning and 50% losing each game even if they paid them minimum wage, but there could be a difference in the product put out, though not necessarily. Plenty of people put a lot of effort into volunteer coaching at the local level and have talent.


TDAO



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 522



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate to interrupt the weather talk but I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that Neighbors' kids are in Arkansas, including his daughter attending the school: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/arkansas/articles/2017-04-03/ap-source-mike-neighbors-hired-as-arkansas-womens-coach


PlayBally'all



Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 208



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/glory_posts/the-dream-job/#sm.0000gtelyno3rd4az531lv7hj0rgf

It's official.


Good job Arkansas. Yes, there were many built in factors that helped Arkansas lure him back as HC from Washington, but there are a million ways to screw these hires up as well.


PlayBally'all



Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 208



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
If the Pac is the lowest in the P5, good for them. These wbb salaries are totally out of control. As I posted, womens basketball at LSU lost 4 million dollars last season. In 2010, Cal tried to cut five sports because of their fiscal problems. UW is apparently several million dollars in the red.


They are high, but to be honest, Title IX has a hand in that as well. LSU, Ohio State and Arkansas aren't in the red thanks to football.


PlayBally'all



Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 208



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:


Seattle or Columbus. Seattle.......Columbus.........Seattle........Columbus.....
That one's pretty easy if you've been to both.


Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't stand the deep South or even the mid Atlantic in Summer. Way too hot and humid! If you live there as a kid though, I think it feels like what is natural. Then there's all those people who absolutely love Florida, and I can't figure out why since it's too hot and too humid for me for about 10 months out of the year! Going to visit in December or January is ok.

So anyway...to each their own.


That is a good perspective. In contrast, when I lived in Chicago, the idea of my face being chapped from the cold made me miserable. There were always 2 or 3 good months out of the year though. LOL


patsweetpat



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 1903
Location: Culver City, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/17 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm bummed that Coach Neighbors left the UW, as the strength of the program during his tenure certainly made the Pac-12 a stronger conference. That said, it's hard not to fault the Washington AD for failing to, I dunno, triple the guy's salary or whatever it would've taken to keep him. The UCLA AD faced a similar dilemma 5 years ago with Nikki Caldwell and that ended up working out okay for the Bruins, imo. Here's hoping things go similarly for the UW.


bcdawg04



Joined: 12 Apr 2016
Posts: 267
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
I'm bummed that Coach Neighbors left the UW, as the strength of the program during his tenure certainly made the Pac-12 a stronger conference. That said, it's hard not to fault the Washington AD for failing to, I dunno, triple the guy's salary or whatever it would've taken to keep him. The UCLA AD faced a similar dilemma 5 years ago with Nikki Caldwell and that ended up working out okay for the Bruins, imo. Here's hoping things go similarly for the UW.


Yes, Coach Neighbors' departure is a blow to the whole conference. Not just for how he changed UW, but he also led the transformation that turned the Pac-12 into the top RPI conference for the past few seasons. He will be missed, but this move is about way more than just money for him (though reportedly there is a lot of money awaiting him there). Arkansas is, and always has been, his dream job. He has been abundantly clear about that, pretty much throughout his entire tenure here.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15149
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's hope Washington's next hire thinks Washington is their dream job.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20497



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Let's hope Washington's next hire thinks Washington is their dream job.


Too bad Adia Barnes went to Arizona last year.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4189
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/17 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One article postulates these 5 as the top contenders for the Washington job:
Morgan Valley, Assistant Coach, Washington University
Johnnie Harris, Associate Head Coach, Mississippi State University
Kate Paye, Associate Head Coach, Stanford University
Lisa Boyer Associate Head Coach, South Carolina
Marisa Moseley, Assistant Coach, University of Connecticut

Which is not to say that any of them, except maybe Paye, have actually been contacted or interviewed--I don't know that. And considering that she's also a top contender for the USC job, they may not have too much of a prayer with her unless they offer her a lot more money and a whole lotta perks.

What say you all?



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
ajdawg7



Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Posts: 471



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/17 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Husky Haul can be relied on for accurate news at about the same frequency as Fox News....particularly regarding WBB coaching at UW.

Unlike Fox News, their hearts in the right place however.



_________________
Seek opportunities to show you care. The smallest gestures often make the biggest difference.

John Wooden
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5442



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
One article postulates these 5 as the top contenders for the Washington job:
Morgan Valley, Assistant Coach, Washington University
Johnnie Harris, Associate Head Coach, Mississippi State University
Kate Paye, Associate Head Coach, Stanford University
Lisa Boyer Associate Head Coach, South Carolina
Marisa Moseley, Assistant Coach, University of Connecticut

Which is not to say that any of them, except maybe Paye, have actually been contacted or interviewed--I don't know that. And considering that she's also a top contender for the USC job, they may not have too much of a prayer with her unless they offer her a lot more money and a whole lotta perks.

What say you all?


Why do you think Paye would want the USC job more than the Washington job?


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4505



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
One article postulates these 5 as the top contenders for the Washington job:
Morgan Valley, Assistant Coach, Washington University
Johnnie Harris, Associate Head Coach, Mississippi State University
Kate Paye, Associate Head Coach, Stanford University
Lisa Boyer Associate Head Coach, South Carolina
Marisa Moseley, Assistant Coach, University of Connecticut

Which is not to say that any of them, except maybe Paye, have actually been contacted or interviewed--I don't know that. And considering that she's also a top contender for the USC job, they may not have too much of a prayer with her unless they offer her a lot more money and a whole lotta perks.

What say you all?


Why do you think Paye would want the USC job more than the Washington job?


I don't know which one she wants but a reason why one may want the USC job over Washington is the recruiting region. USC is right in LA, which is home to a lot of D1 players. Easy for USC coaches to watch kids play, easy for kids to take visits to USC. Washington requires a lot more travel up and down the west coast than SC IMO and Washington is harder for prospects to get to. Who are the best players from Seattle right now in college basketball? Plum is from CA, Osahor AZ. Just honestly not sure. Seattle produces more good men's basketball players than women's unless I am just blanking out on the good ones right now.


LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 365



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But you have to be able to recruit the region. Last season, after the Final Four, look at the Top 100 players in close range to UW that Neighbors didn't sign. Westbrook, Corosdale, Goodman, Aaron, Townsend, Williams. Instead, he signs one player from MO and the other from Ca, neither of whom are ranked.

Before that, he signed a class of four, all from California, only McDonald ranked. He lost out on both Pivec and Wilson are from Seattle but Wilson to Stanford is understandable. The year before, he landed Strother who was the top Washington state recruit but no one else.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4189
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
One article postulates these 5 as the top contenders for the Washington job:
Morgan Valley, Assistant Coach, Washington University
Johnnie Harris, Associate Head Coach, Mississippi State University
Kate Paye, Associate Head Coach, Stanford University
Lisa Boyer Associate Head Coach, South Carolina
Marisa Moseley, Assistant Coach, University of Connecticut

Which is not to say that any of them, except maybe Paye, have actually been contacted or interviewed--I don't know that. And considering that she's also a top contender for the USC job, they may not have too much of a prayer with her unless they offer her a lot more money and a whole lotta perks.

What say you all?



Why do you think Paye would want the USC job more than the Washington job?


I didn't say that. It was merely a guess. And the guess is that USC may offer a larger salary and more perks, although I don't know that for a fact. Also she may be more familiar with the area, having been in California for a good while.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
bcdawg04



Joined: 12 Apr 2016
Posts: 267
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
But you have to be able to recruit the region. Last season, after the Final Four, look at the Top 100 players in close range to UW that Neighbors didn't sign. Westbrook, Corosdale, Goodman, Aaron, Townsend, Williams. Instead, he signs one player from MO and the other from Ca, neither of whom are ranked.

Before that, he signed a class of four, all from California, only McDonald ranked. He lost out on both Pivec and Wilson are from Seattle but Wilson to Stanford is understandable. The year before, he landed Strother who was the top Washington state recruit but no one else.


Agreed, the next coaching staff needs to have someone who can recruit locally. I wouldn't consider Wilson a "local" recruit, though. She lived in the Seattle area for just one year, and she didn't move here until after she had committed to Stanford.

One thing Daugherty did well while at UW was recruit locally.

I haven't looked closely at the rosters in the past few years, but traditionally Pac-10 women's basketball rosters had more players from Washington than any other state besides California. Jackson destroyed a lot of the relationships between UW and the local club teams. Neighbors (/McGuff) was able to get Collier and Corral (neither of whom would have come if Jackson were still the coach), and then Strother and Kingma. Considering all the locals we've missed out on, staying competitive in the conference will require re-establishing the local recruiting base.


LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 365



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Say what you will about Jackson, as it is probably all true, but she recruited Talia Walton, who proved irreplaceable on the team.

With contenders dropping out right and left, UW might have to hire Valley. Or maybe she was considered the chosen one from the start. What a letdown.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin