RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sources: Arkansas close to hiring Mike Neighbors WBB coach
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:40 pm    ::: Sources: Arkansas close to hiring Mike Neighbors WBB coach Reply Reply with quote

Arkansas is expected to name Mike Neighbors the Razorbacks' women's basketball coach, multiple sources have told WholeHogSports.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/02/sources-arkansas-close-hiring-mike-neighbors-women/
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:17 am    ::: Re: Sources: Arkansas close to hiring Mike Neighbors WBB coa Reply Reply with quote

UW women’s basketball coach Mike Neighbors nearing return to Arkansas

...He broke into college coaching with the Razorbacks back in 1999 as the director of basketball operations....

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/uw-womens-basketball-coach-mike-neighbors-nearing-return-to-arkansas/

tfan

PostPosted: 04/03/17 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The articles mention that Neighbors has been the Washington head coach for 4 years. Looking at last year's roster, the top 7 players in minutes for the UW Final Four team all signed in high school to play for Kevin McGuff, including top recruit Plum. But of course, he did coach them, and for most of their college career.

Looking at this year's team, it seems like next year is going to see a dropoff for UW as the last of McGuff's recruits leave. They could be down near the bottom of the Pac-12 unless they have a good incoming class and/or they have some talent at the end of their bench. Three starters graduate including two all-Americans, as well as the sixth player.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/glory_posts/the-dream-job/#sm.0000gtelyno3rd4az531lv7hj0rgf

It's official.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is unfortunate. Washington deserves a break.

What is it about this job that has resulted in two straight good coaches bailing out in just a few years for what are arguably lateral jobs at best, and in this case, probably a step down?

Seattle is one of the best, most livable fun cities in the country, UW has a beautiful campus, the city has provided good support to the team, I expect they will match any salary package, certainly from Arkansas.

So why are they searching again for a coach?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Seattle is one of the best, most livable fun cities in the country, UW has a beautiful campus, the city has provided good support to the team, I expect they will match any salary package, certainly from Arkansas.

I don't much care, but I do know that most things in life are driven by subjectivity and opinions rather than objectivity and facts.

Seattle is expensive, dreary, cold, and perhaps alien corn to Neighbors. Arkansas is the opposite.

Plus, the big gun players at Washington are history.
LitePal

PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Neighbors is going into a worse player situation at Arkansas with seven scholarship players and the top player transferring. As noted, his drop off in recruiting from year one to year four in Seattle has been immense.

AD Jen Cohen didn't exactly hit a home run with Hopkins replacing Romar but since Neighbors' jump has been in the works for months, it's rumored that the new womens coach has already been selected and will be announced within the week. If the name I heard is accurate, this is big news and Washington fans should be more than happy.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Seattle is expensive [Just money to be addressed in contract negotiations], dreary, cold [I must assume you've never lived there], and perhaps alien corn to Neighbors. Arkansas is the opposite [Hot, humid with thunderstorms and tornadoes. BTW, Fayetteville averages 48 inches of rain per year compared to Seattle's 36 inches, and Fayetteville's average January low is 26 degrees compared to Seattle's 36 degrees. Seattle has a much higher "comfort index" than Fayetteville (79 to 51).]

Plus, the big gun players at Washington are history. [In contrast to Arkansas which hasn't had any.]

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also feel like in the cases of both McGuff and Neighbors, both left UW to get closer to "home" and didn't have connections to the Pacific northwest. I'm not sure it's a knock on the job, the school, the city, or anything in particular.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Seattle is expensive [Just money to be addressed in contract negotiations], dreary, cold [I must assume you've never lived there], and perhaps alien corn to Neighbors. Arkansas is the opposite [Hot, humid with thunderstorms and tornadoes. BTW, Fayetteville averages 48 inches of rain per year compared to Seattle's 36 inches, and Fayetteville's average January low is 26 degrees compared to Seattle's 36 degrees. Seattle has a much higher "comfort index" than Fayetteville (79 to 51).]

Plus, the big gun players at Washington are history. [In contrast to Arkansas which hasn't had any.]

Rainfall is not a good way to compare Washington/Oregon weather with other parts of the country. That area has a cloud cover for the majority of the year. You cannot see the sky on most days. It isn't raining most of the time the sky is covered with clouds. And when it does rain it often just drizzles. Going to Seattle/Portland in the summer months gives a completely different picture since the weather becomes like California in that period.

Seattle is the cloudiest city in the US

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Rainfall is not a good way to compare Washington/Oregon weather with other parts of the country. That area has a cloud cover for the majority of the year. You cannot see the sky on most days.

Another person who's never lived there I see.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Rainfall is not a good way to compare Washington/Oregon weather with other parts of the country. That area has a cloud cover for the majority of the year. You cannot see the sky on most days.

You don't have to live there to know their weather. Just visiting many times in the winter is enough. You need to have another look at the data. Seattle is America's cloudiest city. And that website is rating days of 3/4 clouds or more. If they did 100% clouds Seattle would be even further in the lead. What you need to claim is that the person who published that website has never lived there or made up the numbers.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

You don't have to live there to know their weather. Just visiting many times in the winter is enough. You need to have another look at the data. Seattle is America's cloudiest city. And that website is rating days of 3/4 clouds or more. If they did 100% clouds Seattle would be even further in the lead. What you need to claim is that the person who published that website has never lived there or made up the numbers.

Yep, it's​ cloudy in the winter. Of course many other places are buried in snow then. And it is gloriously beautiful in the summer (in contrast to hot humid Arkansas, for example,)

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Yep, it's​ cloudy in the winter. Of course many other places are buried in snow then. And it is gloriously beautiful in the summer (in contrast to hot humid Arkansas, for example,)

Why are you so upset and defensive because a couple of people don't really like Seattle? I have never lived there but have visited on a couple of occasions and different parts of the year. I love a lot of what Seattle has to offer but did also find it kind of gloomy when I didn't see the sun for almost 2 weeks straight. However, the fish market, the scenery, the ocean, etc were awesome.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Why are you so upset and defensive because a couple of people don't really like Seattle? I have never lived there but have visited on a couple of occasions and different parts of the year. I love a lot of what Seattle has to offer but did also find it kind of gloomy when I didn't see the sun for almost 2 weeks straight. However, the fish market, the scenery, the ocean, etc were awesome.

I'm not upset. Just sort of feel sorry for a nice school in a beautiful city that's actually supporting women's basketball losing two good coaches in a row to lateral at best moves. Doesn't seem "fair". And probably isn't good for the game if fans get fed up and lose interest.

Hey I understand it's a personal decision, like any job. If Neighbors likes it better in Ark for whatever reason, good for him. Just sorry for UW fans.

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/03/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle is one of the world's great cities and UW is a great institution. Women's basketball was never huge but getting 10,000 fans to watch Kelsey Plum pursue the scoring record proves that there's an audience for the game. Everyone will be just fine but the administration chose two coaches who didn't want to be there. And it didn't help that they were promised twice the salary, something that few if any Pac schools can do, nor should they.

Wait a few Art. Things might really look up.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/17 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Neighbors is going into a worse player situation at Arkansas with seven scholarship players and the top player transferring. As noted, his drop off in recruiting from year one to year four in Seattle has been immense.

AD Jen Cohen didn't exactly hit a home run with Hopkins replacing Romar but since Neighbors' jump has been in the works for months, it's rumored that the new womens coach has already been selected and will be announced within the week. If the name I heard is accurate, this is big news and Washington fans should be more than happy.

I was Crying or Very sad to hear about Neighbors' leaving. But wish him well. And if you are right that the replacement is quality, that would be great. The PAC needs continuing/improving quality. I do always feel bad for kids that are recruited by a coach who then leaves...but you can't expect a coach to stay in one place forever. Even Tara, Muffet, Geno, Mulkey, Coale etc...who we look at as fixtures, will someday move on and, especially for Geno and Tara, it will be sooner rather than later. So it's just a chance you take when you are recruited.

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 04/03/17 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess Art doesn't think most things in life are based on subjectivity and opinions.

Who cares.

Let the speculation about the next Washington coach begin, whom we are told will please people (but which is also subject to personal opinion and subjectivity). I'll guess:

-- Niele Ivey
-- Beth Cunningham
-- Morgan Valley
-- Tyler Summitt
-- Giuliana Mendiola
-- Jenny Boucek
Durantula

PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
This is unfortunate. Washington deserves a break.

What is it about this job that has resulted in two straight good coaches bailing out in just a few years for what are arguably lateral jobs at best, and in this case, probably a step down?

Agree with most of what you said but about the money thing is that really the case? They paid Neigbors $350k, doesn't McGuff get a lot more than that at Ohio State? I'm guessing Neighbors will make a lot more at Arkansas. Maybe the Pac 12 teams pay a little less, or its outweighed by the high cost of living? Does any other league have multiple head coaches taking lateral jobs? Nikki Caldwell (Fargas) from UCLA to LSU, Joanne Boyle from Cal to Virginia, Kevin McGuff from Washington to Ohio State, Mike Neighbors from Washington to Arkansas.

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You missed a couple:

La Vonda Wagner
Tia Jackson
Jody Runge
Marianne Stanley

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I guess Art doesn't think most things in life are based on subjectivity and opinions.

Who cares.

Let the speculation about the next Washington coach begin, whom we are told will please people (but which is also subject to personal opinion and subjectivity). I'll guess:

-- Niele Ivey
-- Beth Cunningham
-- Morgan Valley
-- Tyler Summitt
-- Giuliana Mendiola
-- Jenny Boucek

Mark Campbell.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Does any other league have multiple head coaches taking lateral jobs? Nikki Caldwell (Fargas) from UCLA to LSU, Joanne Boyle from Cal to Virginia, Kevin McGuff from Washington to Ohio State, Mike Neighbors from Washington to Arkansas.

They all went back to a place they knew or an area they were from. But all that said, I really don't consider Washington to Ohio State a lateral move. Ohio State, with their resources, facilities, recruiting base, etc would be considered by me to be one of the best jobs in the nation.

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caldwell, McGuff and now Neighbors got their salaries doubled.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Caldwell, McGuff and now Neighbors got their salaries doubled.

To get your salary doubled while going to a much lower cost of living area is a huge jump. I'd be interested in comparing salaries but is it possible that the PAC 12 pays the lowest amount for WBB head coaches amongst the Power 5?

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Pac is the lowest in the P5, good for them. These wbb salaries are totally out of control. As I posted, womens basketball at LSU lost 4 million dollars last season. In 2010, Cal tried to cut five sports because of their fiscal problems. UW is apparently several million dollars in the red.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: