RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Worst Final Four exp. (as a fan)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/02/17 8:35 pm    ::: Worst Final Four exp. (as a fan) Reply Reply with quote

Well where to start.

That the Tourney Town was cancelled today? Several volunteers seemed so uninspired that people got out of line to go help with events. To the volunteers' credit, they are asked to work hours in the humid hot sun!

The autograph lines (or tents) on Saturday for the two finalists were cut off after like 100 people and turned away well before the time started. Everywhere else you were able to get in line regardless and got a team poster for waiting if you didn't make it time to get an autograph.

Parking 25$ per game day (minimum) plus paid parking for Tourney Town.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there was no super Saturday..heck if they had a similar day on Thursday I would've went!

The city as a whole seemed to care less about the game it seemed like. In Tampa, Indy, etc. there were welcome signs at restaurants, fan fare, etc. There was a guy I met who didn't even know the final four was going on. Maybe just tough luck but that was a first.

At the end of the day, I'm one attendee out of tens of thousands..but I feel like tradition was ruined. I feel like we as fans don't hold any say in anything and our thoughts aren't considered when such decision making goes on. If someone went to the Olympics and they didn't have an opening ceremony of the 400 meter relay at the end, wouldn't fans feel cheated traveling all the way. The Final Four doesn't owe me as an individual anything, I got that. But a system wasn't broke so why try to fix it? The game were good and there were lots of fans, but it seems like it's always been that way? I was enjoying myself all those other years to notice. I hope some members of the Columbus 2018 planning committee read this. Bring back tradition! Bring back the full experience Smile

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas is a terrible city to visit, and people there often seem to think they're doing you a favor by letting you be there, so I don't find any of that surprising at all.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Dallas is a terrible city to visit, and people there often seem to think they're doing you a favor by letting you be there, so I don't find any of that surprising at all.

So, kinda like Paris?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
beknighted wrote:

So, kinda like Paris?

LOL. In my experience, people in Paris are nicer. They even sometimes try to speak English (although that may be just for the purpose of not having to listen to me try to use one of the eight words of French I know).

dinkytown

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just curious, were the Dallas Wings promoting their team in anyway?

SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Just curious, were the Dallas Wings promoting their team in anyway?

Yes! They had a both and I won a prize. They actually had some pretty good prizes. The Mavs also had one and I think the Wings one was more popular of course Wink

Howee

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
beknighted wrote:

So, kinda like Paris?

LOL. In my experience, people in Paris are nicer. They even sometimes try to speak English (although that may be just for the purpose of not having to listen to me try to use one of the eight words of French I know).

I'd have to agree. Parisians are not that bad....I've experienced scarier people in NYC.

I *almost* went to the FF this year....glad I didn't, now. Razz

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are there any estimates as to who goes to the Final Four - that is, how many are home fans of the 4 teams, and how many are WBB fans from areas without a team in the game? I am surprised that the regionals have all these empty seats down by the court, and then the Final Four is sold out.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We stayed over at the Sheraton for the WBCA National Convention as our book signing was there

Hotel price was crazy high as were many steak restaurants around the area.

Found people very curtious in the restaurants etc and helpful.

The Courtside Expo turned out to be great for us with some potential large book signings in discussions soon.

Had pictures taken with Coale, McGraw and others

We really lucked out with tickets to the semi's and ended up in a Suite 2 away from where I think Robin Roberts was for the second game as we almost walked right into her at halftime. Got her my card for Barnstorming America. Not sure she will remember it after that great game.

Overall, while! $$, the players in the book and all had an awesome time

www.barnstormingamerica.net
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geee whiz im a Dallas native and a WCBB supporter the city is not as bad as you guys are making it but i must say your not far off. Arlington where the Wings abd Cowbiys play would have been a better site. The Mens Final 4 was here a few years ago out there and it was awesome! The metroplex of dallas is too busy to focus on anything in american airlines especially with the mavs struggles the past few years. Were just waiting on football season tbh

PostPosted: 04/03/17 3:32 pm    ::: Re: Worst Final Four exp. (as a fan) Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Well where to start.

That the Tourney Town was cancelled today? Several volunteers seemed so uninspired that people got out of line to go help with events. To the volunteers' credit, they are asked to work hours in the humid hot sun!

The autograph lines (or tents) on Saturday for the two finalists were cut off after like 100 people and turned away well before the time started. Everywhere else you were able to get in line regardless and got a team poster for waiting if you didn't make it time to get an autograph.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there was no super Saturday..heck if they had a similar day on Thursday I would've went!

The city as a whole seemed to care less about the game it seemed like. In Tampa, Indy, etc. there were welcome signs at restaurants, fan fare, etc. There was a guy I met who didn't even know the final four was going on. Maybe just tough luck but that was a first.

At the end of the day, I'm one attendee out of tens of thousands..but I feel like tradition was ruined. I feel like we as fans don't hold any say in anything and our thoughts aren't considered when such decision making goes on. If someone went to the Olympics and they didn't have an opening ceremony of the 400 meter relay at the end, wouldn't fans feel cheated traveling all the way. The Final Four doesn't owe me as an individual anything, I got that. But a system wasn't broke so why try to fix it? The game were good and there were lots of fans, but it seems like it's always been that way? I was enjoying myself all those other years to notice. I hope some members of the Columbus 2018 planning committee read this. Bring back tradition! Bring back the full experience Smile

You should send your comments to the ncaa
The National Collegiate Athletic Association
700 W. Washington Street
P.O. Box 6222
Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222
Phone: 317-917-6222

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got an email with this link to a survey.

http://www.questionpro.com/a/TakeSurvey

"“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd." --Nikki Haley
NFL1

PostPosted: 04/08/17 6:29 pm    ::: Re: Worst Final Four exp. (as a fan) Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Well where to start.

I am SO with you!! So many of us make our flights knowing the schedule and traditions...and the recent "Super Saturday" activities used to be Super Thursday during which local girls teams, boys & girls clubs, and schools got so into it they'd send buses of kids for a visit with signs to watch the elite practices and meet some celebrities!

We were all so disappointed with EVERYTHING except the play on the court, this year was the best in a long time, all three games. But for so many who were excited for Dallas, it was a major disappointment to feel so ignored and devalued.

Here's the link for the NCAA survey feedback, everyone in my group blew up the comments sections, so please do the same:
http://www.questionpro.com/a/TakeSurvey?id=5443003

Let's hope that Columbus WAS there and watching...will someone please reinstate the open practices and autographs - these 4 teams' athletes deserve the love and celebration they earned! AND someone fix the souvenir and merchandise...more options, and organize the mob scene of "lines" - if banks and Disney can do it, so can the NCAA!

NFL1

PostPosted: 04/08/17 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Are there any estimates as to who goes to the Final Four - that is, how many are home fans of the 4 teams, and how many are WBB fans from areas without a team in the game? I am surprised that the regionals have all these empty seats down by the court, and then the Final Four is sold out.

I have attended since Minneapolis in 1995...and I meet fans from all over, not just the home city or the teams in the games. Most of us want a reliable 4-5 day vacation with fun entertainment and friends who love women's hoops.

If the regionals were all in one spot, as someone suggested, then I'd go to that site more than likely to see more games if the same price.

My travel group got a wonderful Airbnb house in Bishop Arts for 1100 (between 5 of us for a 3 bedroom)...so parts of our trip were fine, but the downtown and non-game time experience was way down from previous years. With Columbus not being a "draw" city in and of itself - lack of a lot of non-arts type activities to do/see, I suspect that we may have a drop off like we do each Indy year - since many of us are sick of Indy! Lets go back to Denver and Nashville, and get SOMEWHERE out west! (San Jose was fun... but there are other options too!)

Phil

PostPosted: 04/08/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been to 17 final fours. I'm sorry to report that this one ranked low on my list.

I'm somewhat conflicted as I think some of the negatives arise from the Friday Sunday format and I think on balance that's a good thing. I don't think it's a coincidence that they sold out.

Like someone noted above I didn't get the impression that Dallas was going all out to welcome attendees. At most final fours there is signage in many of the storefronts welcoming fans. While there may have been some in Dallas I don't recall it. There probably was some in most cities it so ubiquitous you can't miss it.

Most final fours have a battle of the bands. I don't link they had one or maybe they just did for the two finalists but I don't recall any publicity about it.

I have little interest in seeing the team practices but I know that many fans find this one of the highlights. When the format is Sunday Tuesday they can hold open practices for the four teams on Saturday. With a Friday Sunday format the either have to do that on Thursday which partially defeats the point of Friday Sunday or limit it to the two finalists which is what I believe they did.

One of the highlights for me is watching the WBCA All-Americans. In the past that is done in conjunction with the open practices. Because of the change in open practices it was done differently this time. It occurred attorney town which is not near most of the hotels and it took place at 730 during the men's game. That was a very surprising decision. I know they used as a lead-in to a concert but I had no interest in the concert and wasn't going to traipse across town during the men's game for a five minute presentation. Why couldn't they have done it at the WBCA hotel?

At final fours, in addition to signage in shops, they will rename some of the streets in honor of the final four teams. I didn't see any of that this year.

The WBCA convention often has an exhibit booth from the upcoming years host city. I specifically remember that Nashville had a booth and Indianapolis had a booth. I look for a Columbus booth this year but did not find one (it's possible I missed it).

In many years they designate for local bars as team bars to encourage fans of the final four teams to congregate. I think they stop that a couple years ago, so it is not necessarily just a Dallas fail but they are the didn't do it or didn't publicize it, because I didn't see any designated team bars.

One of the events I participate in every year is the 4K run walk in memory of Kay Yow. It wasn't held this year.

I'm not interested in autographs but I know many people are in the format made it impossible to do autograph sessions for the four teams. I wasn't at the two team autograph session but from the description above it doesn't sound like it was handled very well.

I personally had a good time, but the things that are attractive to me may not be the same things that many fans look for.

Every single fan I've talked to, and that numbers in the dozens, has expressed that this final four didn't measure up to other years. I can't think of anyone who felt that it was even above average.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/09/17 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. I hope you're all providing this feedback directly to the NCAA women's basketball committee, too.

I wonder how much of it is the local organizing committee and how much of it is the NCAA under Anucha Browne - and I'm just not very impressed with her overall. Her comments about the regionals make me think she's tone deaf.

newkid

PostPosted: 04/10/17 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I grew up in Dallas. It's a lovely city, and the people are very nice. BUT it is
1.) not a tourist town. They don't make their money that way. They aren't accustomed to thinking about how to be welcoming and appealing and fun.
and 2.) not, not, not a basketball town. Dallasites care so little about basketball, I don't how the Mavs sell tickets. Certainly, they don't give a flip about college basketball.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: