RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Winning a Title with No HS AA's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 04/01/17 6:32 am    ::: Winning a Title with No HS AA's? Reply Reply with quote

Mississippi State could win the national title with zero McDonald's All Americans. I don't think its ever happened on the women's side ever since the inaugural game in 2002 but does anyone know for sure? If it did happen it had to be very early on, like maybe 2003-2004 when teams would only potentially have one or two classes that could have played in the game. My hunch is since 2006 or something when a full four HS classes could play, no team has won the championship without one and often times numerous AA's.

On the men's side I think it has only happened a couple of times, and their game began in 1977. Obviously a lot more parity on the men's side so you'd expect it to be a greater chance than the women's, where national title contenders can have 3, 4, 5, even 6 or 7 AA's on a team at once.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/01/17 6:52 am    ::: Re: Winning a Title with No HS AA's? Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Mississippi State could win the national title with zero McDonald's All Americans. I don't think its ever happened on the women's side ever since the inaugural game in 2002 but does anyone know for sure? If it did happen it had to be very early on, like maybe 2003-2004 when teams would only potentially have one or two classes that could have played in the game. My hunch is since 2006 or something when a full four HS classes could play, no team has won the championship without one and often times numerous AA's.

On the men's side I think it has only happened a couple of times, and their game began in 1977. Obviously a lot more parity on the men's side so you'd expect it to be a greater chance than the women's, where national title contenders can have 3, 4, 5, even 6 or 7 AA's on a team at once.

Kim Mulkey's Baylor Lady Bears won the title in 2005 with no McDonald's All-Americans.

"I think there have been numerous teams that make it to the Final Four that don't have McDonald's All-Americans," she said. "I think year in and year out, if you're part of a program that's capable of doing that, it certainly makes it easier.

"But it doesn't make it impossible for those of us who are building programs that can recruit the 'sleepers,' or those players that the big-time, traditional powers that be don't want."

http://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunications/index.php?id=26369

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/01/17 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, so even in Baylor's case the game was still new so was that 2 or 3 classes only that had the chance to be AA's? Still impressive. I was thinking maybe Texas A&M? Will have to check their roster the year they won it.

taropatch

PostPosted: 04/01/17 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah Baylor 2005.

Texas A&M 2011 had Tyra White who was a McD-AA. Colson and Adams were "only" McD nominees.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/01/17 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Thanks, so even in Baylor's case the game was still new so was that 2 or 3 classes only that had the chance to be AA's? Still impressive. I was thinking maybe Texas A&M? Will have to check their roster the year they won it.

Tyra White who originally committed to LSU but changed to A&M after the coaching change, was a McDonalds All American.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: