RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

It was not a huge upset, much less . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/01/17 3:45 pm    ::: It was not a huge upset, much less . . . Reply Reply with quote

. . . the biggest upset in women's basketball or all of basketball history, as repeatedly hyped and slobbered by all three ESPN game announcers, some of the studio announcers, and some of the print reporters.

There are three primary reasons why not:

1. The UConn team that got beaten by Mississippi State was not the multi-team UConn program that won 111 consecutive games over three seasons. A seasonal team is not the program. The 2016-17 team won only 36 consecutive games, and had only one regular starter, Kia Nurse, for the 111 game streak. The three teams that combined to win 111 games for the UConn program included two years of starters Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck; one year of starter Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis; one year of sixth man Kiah Stokes; and two years of sub Courtney Ekmark.

2. The 2016-17 team may have beaten several ranked teams but did not do so in dominant fashion. They beat FSU by two points, Baylor by 11 points, Notre Dame by 11 points, Maryland by six points, South Carolina by 11 points, UCLA by 15 points, and unranked Tulane by three points. All of these teams, in turn, lost to lower ranked teams themselves during the season. Hence, the 2016-17 UConn team, while managing to win 36 games, hardly did so against top teams in the juggernaut fashion of earlier UConn teams.

3. I'm not sure what all the stat guru betting lines were on the UConn-MSU game, but a 10.5 point line was posted by Cth on this site, which I think was derived from Massey. I suspect lots of games this season, and many, many more in the long history of basketball, have had "upsets" over lines greater than 10.5 points -- and even a lot bigger lines than that.

The game was a great victory for Mississippi State and it was an upset, but it was only a modest upset of this 2016-17 UConn team, in my opinion.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/01/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/01/17 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed. It doesn't even compare, imo, to Harvard over Stanford, which remains after all these years as the only 16 over 1 seed, men or women.

taropatch

PostPosted: 04/01/17 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not an epic upset as MS-State is a very good team. Ms. Burke and crew only saw the 111 in their minds.

It's UConn that registered a major "upset" in W-L record in the 2017 season. We had threads last fall where the consensus was they would lose a minimum of 1-2 games by February because of their brutal schedule. Despite losing the Big Three stars, this Huskie squad successfully ran the gauntlet of highly ranked teams.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 6:50 pm    ::: Re: It was not a huge upset, much less . . . Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
. . . the biggest upset in women's basketball or all of basketball history, as repeatedly hyped and slobbered by all three ESPN game announcers, some of the studio announcers, and some of the print reporters.

1. The UConn team that got beaten by Mississippi State was not the multi-team UConn program that won 111 consecutive games over three seasons. A seasonal team is not the program. The 2016-17 team won only 36 consecutive games, and had only one regular starter, Kia Nurse, for the 111 game streak. The three teams that combined to win 111 games for the UConn program included two years of starters Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck; one year of starter Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis; one year of sixth man Kiah Stokes; and two years of sub Courtney Ekmark.

2. The 2016-17 team may have beaten several ranked teams but did not do so in dominant fashion. They beat FSU by two points, Baylor by 11 points, Notre Dame by 11 points, Maryland by six points, South Carolina by 11 points, UCLA by 15 points, and unranked Tulane by three points. All of these teams, in turn, lost to lower ranked teams themselves during the season. Hence, the 2016-17 UConn team, while managing to win 36 games, hardly did so against top teams in the juggernaut fashion of earlier UConn teams.

3. I'm not sure what all the stat guru betting lines were on the UConn-MSU game, but a 10.5 point line was posted by Cth on this site, which I think was derived from Massey. I suspect lots of games this season, and many, many more in the long history of basketball, have had "upsets" over lines greater than 10.5 points -- and even a lot bigger lines than that.

The game was a great victory for Mississippi State and it was an upset, but it was only a modest upset of this 2016-17 UConn team, in my opinion.

More cold water on the h a t e r wet dream of it being THE GREATEST UPSET IN HISTORY!!!

PostPosted: 04/01/17 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
Agreed. It doesn't even compare, imo, to Harvard over Stanford, which remains after all these years as the only 16 over 1 seed, men or women.

The biggest impact of that game was that more coaches now report season ending injuries prior to Tournament Selection. With Alaina Coates out, S.Carolina was the weakest of the #1 seeds - and now the only one still standing, now playing the strongest #2 seed.

~rAf
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/02/17 10:58 am    ::: Re: It was not a huge upset, much less . . . Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

More cold water on the h a t e r wet dream of it being THE GREATEST UPSET IN HISTORY!!!

+1...The might has fallen no disclaimers needed.

PostPosted: 04/02/17 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not even close. I think Notre Dame beating UConn in 2011 was just as big of an upset, if not bigger.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Ms. Burke and crew only saw the 111 in their minds.

It's UConn that registered a major "upset" in W-L record in the 2017 season.

Excellent observations, taropatch.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/02/17 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisville over Baylor was big. The 16 over 1 game wasn't even supposed to be a first round game smh, everyone figured UConn would lose this season, it was just the reverse time of season when people thought it'd be.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/02/17 5:13 pm    ::: Re: It was not a huge upset, much less . . . Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

ok...this explains your bizarre post to me on the game day board.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 3:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And in similar news, ND's win over UCLA wasn't as big of an upset because it was #1 vs #2... Wink

BTW, while UCLA was only favored by 4 points before the game, part of what made the ND win over UCLA big was that ND won that game after being down 11 points with just 3:30 left in the game. It was more about how ND had to rally back from being down by that much that late in the game, especially in the days before the shot clock.

It's like the Joe Montana "Chicken Soup" game. It isn't always what was considered likely before the game as much as how you came back from being down (also like the last Super Bowl).

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/03/17 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It was not a huge upset,

The line was greater than 20 points, so it was a huge upset.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The massey line was 10.5

PostPosted: 04/03/17 8:56 am    ::: Re: It was not a huge upset, much less . . . Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

ok...this explains your bizarre post to me on the game day board.

Yep sums it up just about right your the G.O.A.T.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe not the greatest upset, but as with any UConn loss, there were rainbows everywhere as people smiled broadly and greeted each other warmly on the street.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone else see Gabbi = Catchings...Shes the closest comparison ive ever seen to tamika catchings

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: