RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 Notre Dame vs #9 Purdue - 3/19/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
The refs have completely taken over this game. What a mess. Total whistle-fest.

It's ridiculous.

And half the things called didn't happen, like the Mabrey "kick".

Refs are pretty much your 'go-to' scapegoats whenever your favored team isn't winning, eh? Not cuz they're, I dunno....playing mediocre ball?

ND certainly NOT looking like a #1 seed, even before Turner's out. AND. Purdue is hot.

Guess you didn't bother to watch the 32-16 second quarter with Turner playing. And you thought the technical on Versyp and nonexistent kick on Mabrey were great calls. Anything else stupid to say?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Survive and advance.

And pray for good news about Turner.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All these great close games with top seeds gotta wonder if we woulda seen a major upset if they were on neutral courts

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So close.

I am so impressed with the way this Purdue team played the last third of the season. It's not secret that I don't think much of Versyp as the head of this program, but I have to give her and the players a lot of credit. There is a lot of quality youth on this team, and they can pick up the start of the season where they left off they can be a team to make a leap.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoever is the author of these close games keeps getting the ending wrong.

WE WANT UPSETS!!! KILL OFF THE 1'S AND 2'S!!!

So sorry to even think this, but Turner's injury looked like the classic jump stop ACL that I've seen too many times.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
So close.

I am so impressed with the way this Purdue team played the last third of the season. It's not secret that I don't think much of Versyp as the head of this program, but I have to give her and the players a lot of credit. There is a lot of quality youth on this team, and they can pick up the start of the season where they left off they can be a team to make a leap.

To what do you attribute that? All of a sudden, like February 1 arrived, and Purdue played like they haven't played in several years.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
The refs have completely taken over this game. What a mess. Total whistle-fest.

It's ridiculous.

And half the things called didn't happen, like the Mabrey "kick".

Refs are pretty much your 'go-to' scapegoats whenever your favored team isn't winning, eh? Not cuz they're, I dunno....playing mediocre ball?

ND certainly NOT looking like a #1 seed, even before Turner's out. AND. Purdue is hot.

Guess you didn't bother to watch the 32-16 second quarter with Turner playing. And you thought the technical on Versyp and nonexistent kick on Mabrey were great calls. Anything else stupid to say?

Nope. You--as usual--have it all covered. ALWAYS a delight to give you that spotlight. Laughing

Kudos to Purdue for playing so tough--definitely a killer last half of the season.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I can't look at that replay of Turner's injury. It did not look good! Reminds me of Achonwa. Maybe ND is just jinxed.

Looked worse on the replay than it did live.

Still have no idea why people were thinking that there should have been a foul. There wasn't a Purdue player within 5' of her.

It's interesting that you couldn't hear the crowd going nuts wanting a foul called when Purdue put the ball in play. Everyone around where I was sitting was calling for a foul and couldn't believe it was Purdue ball. Maybe that's why it sounded louder than what I'm hearing on the replay.

"“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd." --Nikki Haley
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/20/17 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Yep they T up Versyp and not Mabrey who slammed the table like a brat Laughing

Mabrey learned from her warning. Apparently SV didn't learn from hers.

Having said that, it was kind of a strange T. SV and the ref were walking away from each other when it was called.

SV didn't really have a reaction to it either so she knew it was deserved.

Just saw this:

Quote:
TECHNICAL FOUL

"I was yelling at our team, not at the official," Versyp said of being called for a technical.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2017/03/19/mabrey-scores-21-as-notre-dame-survives-purdue-88-82-in-ot/99399076/

I'm thinking if that is what you were doing that you'd plead your case a little. Throw your hands up, kind of 'wave off' the official as you're walking away. Something besides just chew your gum and get a drink of water.

"“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd." --Nikki Haley
bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/20/17 4:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Having said that, it was kind of a strange T. SV and the ref were walking away from each other when it was called.

Just saw this:

Quote:
TECHNICAL FOUL

"I was yelling at our team, not at the official," Versyp said of being called for a technical.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2017/03/19/mabrey-scores-21-as-notre-dame-survives-purdue-88-82-in-ot/99399076/

I'm thinking if that is what you were doing that you'd plead your case a little. Throw your hands up, kind of 'wave off' the official as you're walking away. Something besides just chew your gum and get a drink of water.

Maybe she was yelling about the officials to re players. "Gan you believe that MF call the guy just made?" or "You bet,these are the worst officials I've seen in 7 years"

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/20/17 6:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Just saw this:

Quote:
TECHNICAL FOUL

Maybe she was yelling about the officials to re players. "Gan you believe that MF call the guy just made?" or "You bet,these are the worst officials I've seen in 7 years"

Laughing

Good point.

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

(Shocked How can it be morning already??? Shocked )

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/20/17 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't stop wondering if the late tip time had anything to do with Bri's injury.

I keep wondering if her body was tired and therefore weak in a way that it wouldn't have been at a more reasonable time.

I'll be shocked if it isn't an ACL tear.

I was hopeful after seeing her leave the floor the way that she did with Anne, the head trainer, returning to the bench and not going to the locker room with her.

Then when she came out of the locker room at halftime and how 'normal' she looked.

Then when I got home and saw the replay I can't stop thinking that it looked so much like others that I've seen.

I'll also be surprised if we hear anything definitive until Friday. I think that we'll be hearing 'day to day' until the absolute last minute.

Just had another thought. Given her shoulder injuries, I'm wondering if maybe she just has loose, very flexible ligaments and that maybe it's just a MCL strain. It looked like it bent inward a lot more than anything else.

I'm grabbing for anything I can get!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/20/17 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Turner's back out. A little ginger on it. No brace or crutches.

No brace? Maybe she just twisted it and will be fine. Hopefully!

That's the weird thing about ACLs....some are screamers like a couple of Shea Ralph's, some the player can walk off the court as Turner did tonight.

So true. I remember when Loree Moore got hers against Duke and actually came back and PLAYED for several minutes before giving up. Yikes!

But that did NOT look good.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always get a kick out of ND fans complaining about the officiating. The Lady Irish are basically the equivalent of the UNC men when it comes to benefiting from extremely questionable calls in their favor.

As far as Turner is concerned, she has a good two weeks to recover before the team has to face any real competition. That's a good amount of time I'd say.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/20/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
I always get a kick out of ND fans complaining about the officiating. The Lady Irish are basically the equivalent of the UNC men when it comes to benefiting from extremely questionable calls in their favor.

As far as Turner is concerned, she has a good two weeks to recover before the team has to face any real competition. That's a good amount of time I'd say.

From your incessant childish comments amount Notre Dame I assume you got got rejected by ND and have borne a grudge ever since. There has to be some reason for the mindless bitterness.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 03/20/17 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
From your incessant childish comments amount Notre Dame I assume you got got rejected by ND and have borne a grudge ever since. There has to be some reason for the mindless bitterness.

No. I would never move to flyover country on purpose. I just knew you would read this and get your panties all wadded up. Laughing

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

That's the weird thing about ACLs....some are screamers like a couple of Shea Ralph's, some the player can walk off the court as Turner did tonight.

So true. I remember when Loree Moore got hers against Duke and actually came back and PLAYED for several minutes before giving up. Yikes!

And let's not forget Loree's sister, Jessica, (j/k), played an entire half of the NC game with one.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

No. I would never move to flyover country on purpose. I just knew you would read this and get your panties all wadded up. Laughing

Well, the world needs ditchdiggers too.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/20/17 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally re-watching the game.

At about 7:40 of the first, Turner goes to the corner after a rebound. It's hard for me to tell if it was just the camera angle or just her natural way, but it kind of looks like her left knee might have buckled a little then. It could have just been those long legs bending while she's trying to tip the ball from the Purdue player. Something about it looked awkward.

Right after that I am a little surprised that Thibault didn't catch the ball going off of MM while Morrisette (I like her!) was dribbling upcourt and saying that it might have been a turnover.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/20/17 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's Thibault's fault!!! Wink

At 5:50 he's talking about Bri and says that last year she was fighting a shoulder injury and that now she's healthy.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/20/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

And let's not forget Loree's sister, Jessica, (j/k), played an entire half of the NC game with one.

UW had a player (Mackenzie Argens, a 2012 graduate) who tore her ACL at some point, but the tear did not show up on MRIs and she was already playing on a torn meniscus. The ACL tear was discovered when her doctor went in to repair the meniscus, after the season ended. She may have torn her ACL in UW's second to last game, which means she played on it for a game and a half, but it's also possible she tore it some five games earlier.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/20/17 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Erika Valek was at Purdue and tore her ACL (during the tourney, yet the team still came within 2 points of winning the title without their starting point guard), the story went around that her mother played in Colombia for a decade on a torn ACL. She got it repaired after she retired from the national team.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/20/17 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My son-in-law (obviously not female, but since we're on this tangent) just got his repaired after 5 years, also a meniscus tear was fixed while they were in there. He was not only playing basketball but climbing cell towers, which is what he does for a living.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finished watching the recording of the game.

Overall, I didn't think that the officiating was that bad. There are a couple of calls I would like to see from a different angle (Young's first foul for one), but I think that most of it was OK.

Didn't like the OOB call on Young when her and Perry were on the baseline, but given the angle of the ref, it's understandable that it went against Young. Calling a jump ball would have been the better call, but it took me a replay to confirm the correct call, so I'm not going to get all crazy about it.

Read some criticism of Muffet on NDNation for the offense late in the game. Mabrey and Ogunbowale both had great looks and the ball just wouldn't/couldn't/didn't fall.

Mike and Paul had a good point about the fouls carrying over to the OT and whether they should or not. They were lobbying for not carrying them over. For as long as I can remember, it's been that way. OT was a continuation of the 4th quarter. That's going way back to before the arrow when there was a jump ball to start each quarter. And it probably made sense when they made the switch to playing halves to continue it.

Now that they are doing quarters again, but NOT starting each one with a jump ball, it seems like there needs to be consistency with carrying things over (or not). Currently, timeouts and fouls are carried over. Possession arrow isn't. Seems like if you're going to make part of it like starting over (jump ball) that all of it should be like starting over. Otherwise, just start the OT with the possession arrow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: