RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

ESPN Coverage Could Be Better
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4304



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 9:58 am    ::: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

OK, we all know that it sucks. I was looking to see if I could find out who would be calling the games this weekend (haven't yet) and came across this article from 2015.


http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/espns-coverage-womens-ncaa-tournament-carries-echoes-sports.html

Quote:
The way these games were handled makes it clear that ESPN has a problem with “star treatment” in niche sports.



Quote:
It would be nice to think that ESPN can avoid an excessive focus on names (in any sport) and devote more energy to covering the whole of a sport itself. This is the kind of coverage grown-up sports fans want.



Quote:
When ESPN clearly abandons coverage of the sport for a focus on celebrity or ratings-magnet entities (such as UConn women’s basketball to the exclusion or diminishment of lesser-known programs), mature sports fans notice.




Quote:
However, ESPN is in a position to lead by example. If ESPN devoted itself to covering the sport and not just its stars, we’d have been able to see much more of Louisville-South Florida and UALR-Arizona State, two far more interesting games with far more exciting stretch runs. ESPN could choose to be a trend-changer and pace-setter in sports. It instead makes decisions which reflect a continuing captivity to what will bump up ratings points. That’s one issue.



_________________
neverthless she persisted
Carol Anne



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 1477
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 10:54 am    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

Press Releases: ESPN is The Exclusive Home of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/03/espn-exclusive-home-ncaa-division-womens-basketball-championship/

Schedule and commentators (subject to change) halfway down. Why oh why must Dave and Doris always call the championship game?


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20219



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 11:56 am    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Press Releases: ESPN is The Exclusive Home of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/03/espn-exclusive-home-ncaa-division-womens-basketball-championship/

Schedule and commentators (subject to change) halfway down. Why oh why must Dave and Doris always call the championship game?


Because they do the 'best' job at drooling over everything UConn.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Matt5762



Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Posts: 447



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 12:08 pm    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

Schedule and commentators (subject to change) halfway down. Why oh why must Dave and Doris always call the championship game?


Well, they have added Lawson as co-analyst(?). Kara seems to have learned to drool over UCONN as well as the next, but hopefully she makes the broadcast at least a little more watchable...

Interesting to see Thibault and Hughes on the crews as well (have they have been doing other games this season and I just didn't notice?).

Here is the full list:
(College Park, Md.) - Courtney Lyle, Tamika Catchings
(Austin, Texas) - Roy Philpott, Brooke Weisbrod
(Lexington, Ky.) - Beth Mowins, Nell Fortner
(Starkville, Miss.) - Bob Picozzi, Katie Smith
(Columbia, S.C.) - Dave Pasch, LaChina Robinson
(Notre Dame, Ind.) - Paul Sunderland, Mike Thibault
(Corvallis, Ore.) - Elise Woodward, Mary Murphy
(Tallahassee, Fla.) - Melissa Lee, Angel Gray
(Storrs, Conn.) - Eric Frede, Dan Hughes
(Louisville, Ky.) - Dave O’Brien, Doris Burke/Kara Lawson
(Manhattan, Kansas) - Brenda VanLengen, Carol Ross
(Coral Gables, Fla.) - Jenn Hildreth, Steffi Sorensen
(Waco, Texas) - Lowell Galindo, Sue Bird
(Seattle, Wash.) - Pam Ward, Gail Goestenkors
(Los Angeles, Calif.) - Sam Gore, Julianne Viani
(Durham, N.C.) - Clay Matvick, Christy Winters-Scott

Lexington Regional - Beth Mowins, Deb Antonelli, Allison Williams
Oklahoma City Regional - Pam Ward, Gail Goestenkors, Kaylee Hartung
Bridgeport Regional - Dave O’Brien, Doris Burke/Kara Lawson, Holly Rowe
Stockton Regional - Dave Pasch, LaChina Robinson, Molly McGrath

Final Four - Dave O’Brien, Doris Burke, Kara Lawson, Holly Rowe


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20219



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 12:11 pm    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:

Interesting to see Thibault and Hughes on the crews as well (have they have been doing other games this season and I just didn't notice?).



Yes they have been. Quite refreshing to hear their perspectives although they are quite PC.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2653



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to run over to Bristol and apply for the job of mopping up all that drool.

Rolling Eyes


The question I have is why does anyone expect ESPN to treat wcbb any differently than they and all the other media that covers sports treat every other sport? Worshiping stars is what they all do. It's amusing how those that want women's basketball to get equal treatment are unhappy when they get exactly that. The money that pumps through sports comes for the most part from advertisers and advertisers want stars to put on the front of their cereal boxes and endorse their deodorants. Look at college football. For the most part national coverage focuses on the half dozen Heisman Trophy candidates to the exclusion of the thousand of athletes that participate. Team coverage is mostly speculation about which 4 of 10 teams will make the championship playoffs. The coverage of pro basketball is more of the same except that as much time is spent examining the players private lives as their performance on the court.

You want women in the WNBA to earn multi-million dollar salaries? Then you have to put up with baggage that in addition to the above includes dealing with the corruption that comes from having billions of dollars gambled on the games.

People need to stop for a moment and realize that ESPN gives them an opportunity to watch any wcbb tournamnt game from start to finish on-line. Yeah, the wraparound coverage can be frustrating but then I can remember having to listen to the mens games on radio. The complaining reminds me of a kid with a candy bar whining because they don't have an ice cream cone.
Very Happy


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20219



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not whining. So far I'm one happy camper...but yeah, bring on the ice cream cone. I too remember listening to bball on the radio (it's a tell on our ages) but we lived so far out in the boonies that I would go with my Dad in his pickup to a mountain top so we could get reception on his radio...It was way better after dark.

But I do reserve the right to whine and gripe later on...



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8305
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(Storrs, Conn.) - Eric Frede, Dan Hughes

YES! I don't have to suffer w/ O'Brien and Burke doing even one UCONN game.

wooohoooooooooooooooooo



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11293



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
(Storrs, Conn.) - Eric Frede, Dan Hughes

YES! I don't have to suffer w/ O'Brien and Burke doing even one UCONN game.

wooohoooooooooooooooooo


So you're expecting UConn to lose the first weekend, evidently. Interesting.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2653



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
(Storrs, Conn.) - Eric Frede, Dan Hughes

YES! I don't have to suffer w/ O'Brien and Burke doing even one UCONN game.

wooohoooooooooooooooooo


Maybe we will get a hint about who SA will be drafting.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10595
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm not whining. So far I'm one happy camper...but yeah, bring on the ice cream cone. I too remember listening to bball on the radio (it's a tell on our ages) but we lived so far out in the boonies that I would go with my Dad in his pickup to a mountain top so we could get reception on his radio...It was way better after dark.

But I do reserve the right to whine and gripe later on...


No "reservations" needed for you, Myrtle-Mae. Those rights are fully accorded by your .... experience [read: Age] (I'm surprised they even had pickups in your youth. Razz )

The games of most interest to me have GG, so all's good here. Cool



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire


Last edited by Howee on 03/15/17 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 7693
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
(Storrs, Conn.) - Eric Frede, Dan Hughes

YES! I don't have to suffer w/ O'Brien and Burke doing even one UCONN game.

wooohoooooooooooooooooo


Maybe we will get a hint about who SA will be drafting.


Probably not, since he isn't the coach or GM for the team anymore.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2653



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
(Storrs, Conn.) - Eric Frede, Dan Hughes

YES! I don't have to suffer w/ O'Brien and Burke doing even one UCONN game.

wooohoooooooooooooooooo


Maybe we will get a hint about who SA will be drafting.


Probably not, since he isn't the coach or GM for the team anymore.


As coach/GM he might be less likely to talk about it.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8305
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
(Storrs, Conn.) - Eric Frede, Dan Hughes

YES! I don't have to suffer w/ O'Brien and Burke doing even one UCONN game.

wooohoooooooooooooooooo


So you're expecting UConn to lose the first weekend, evidently. Interesting.



UCONN RADIO.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20219



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I'm not whining. So far I'm one happy camper...but yeah, bring on the ice cream cone. I too remember listening to bball on the radio (it's a tell on our ages) but we lived so far out in the boonies that I would go with my Dad in his pickup to a mountain top so we could get reception on his radio...It was way better after dark.

But I do reserve the right to whine and gripe later on...


No "reservations" needed for you, Myrtle-Mae. Those rights are fully accorded by your .... experience [read: Age] (I'm surprised they even had pickups in your youth. Razz )

The games of most interest to me have GG, so all's good here. Cool


model T's had a pickup model in 1925...



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11293



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!


bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 569



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!


Thanks I have been looking for this. Last year in was the low 700's. In the same location as the 4 majors in golf and tennis.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20219



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!


Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11293



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!


Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.


I think DirecTV stopped selling Full Court two or three years ago, so I think this is free, at least for sportspak subscribers.


mikeyc22



Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 2211
Location: Connecticut


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best duo IMO is Dave Pasch and Lachina!

I love how the men use four channels for the first round. I wish ESPN would use ESPN2 and ESPNU for the first and second rounds


Happycappie25



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 3852
Location: QUEENS!!!!


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 8:30 pm    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Matt5762 wrote:

Interesting to see Thibault and Hughes on the crews as well (have they have been doing other games this season and I just didn't notice?).



Yes they have been. Quite refreshing to hear their perspectives although they are quite PC.


Hughes has been a regular on Big 12 FSN regional broadcasts (tho Thulin and VanLegen a very underrated crew do the FS1 and top games)

Thiebault has been heading up the B crew for BTN with a revolving door of male announcers...Byington and Jones are the A team for BTN and also do some FS1

As for that awful announcing blog...YES YES OMG YES been screaming this for 12 years!!!

Good to see the B team be LaChina...Pasch is the A- (behind only when the superstars choose to do a game) MENS guy...this is no small thing

Also despite that dumb UConn Stands Alone rule (which I KNOW was a be careful what you wish for after fan complaints of no whipping from UConn routs to more competitive games) they are giving the bottom crews to both UConn and Baylor and 4/5 pods are getting the A teams

ALSO: Wischusen who was a mainstay for many years got the boot...MUCH needed his comments at both Richards and of course the infamous and inflammatory comment at Oshaor were both firable offenses...glad to see him removed from WBB games Smile

And also great to see Sunderland moving up the ladder. Sunderland has been putting WORK in on SEC Network...he's EARNED it



_________________
"Leave it to the NCAA women's basketball committee to turn a glass slipper into glass ceiling" Graham Hays
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 1879



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Best duo IMO is Dave Pasch and Lachina!

I love how the men use four channels for the first round. I wish ESPN would use ESPN2 and ESPNU for the first and second rounds


Yes I love this too - it means I get to watch every game and can pick what is interesting to me. The only problem is I always forget what channel Tru TV is on my cable until the tournament starts again Smile.

At least this year they finally protected all of Wisconsin for the UWGB game - it has been a bummer to me recently that they only protected part of Wisconsin for their games and I didn't get to see them. For some reason in the past, they used to protect all of Wisconsin for Marquette games but not for UWGB.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4304



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 9:16 pm    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Press Releases: ESPN is The Exclusive Home of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/03/espn-exclusive-home-ncaa-division-womens-basketball-championship/

Schedule and commentators (subject to change) halfway down. Why oh why must Dave and Doris always call the championship game?


Thank you!



_________________
neverthless she persisted
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10595
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!


PRAISETHELORDDD!
This just made MY day-- Very Happy

Now, my only dilemma is which games, out of any four running at one time, to record. DVR only allows me 2 simultaneous games. 'course, I may just opt to do my own 'whiparound' coverage, going where I like, when I like, but then I gotta watch live. Oh, the dilemmas! Razz

By the way, Art....nothing was listed on those channels beyond Friday's games, i.e., Saturday's lineup. Any idea why?



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4304



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/17 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coverage maps are out for the first round.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18919341/women-ncaa-tournament-coverage-maps



_________________
neverthless she persisted
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8305
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!



Gotta love DTV.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2143
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/17 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!



Gotta love DTV.


I know...and just when I'm thinking about switching. I swear the price goes up every month and the "fees" have become a long laundry list.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10595
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!



Gotta love DTV.


I know...and just when I'm thinking about switching. I swear the price goes up every month and the "fees" have become a long laundry list.


Yeah, I'm not re-upping after my 2-year deal is over. Other than the basketball, I just don't need/want the rest.



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 569



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/17 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!



Gotta love DTV.


I know...and just when I'm thinking about switching. I swear the price goes up every month and the "fees" have become a long laundry list.


Yeah, I'm not re-upping after my 2-year deal is over. Other than the basketball, I just don't need/want the rest.


I love it, but you have to call and beg for discounts.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8305
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Howee wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!



Gotta love DTV.


I know...and just when I'm thinking about switching. I swear the price goes up every month and the "fees" have become a long laundry list.


Yeah, I'm not re-upping after my 2-year deal is over. Other than the basketball, I just don't need/want the rest.


I love it, but you have to call and beg for discounts.


It's too expensive the 2nd yr., but it's the most WCB you can get. My sub. ends in June. I might dump it after the tournament and try one of the shitty streaming options then re-up next season.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
mikeyc22



Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 2211
Location: Connecticut


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/17 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another great thing about the men's tournament is staggered start times not all within 15 mins like the women


bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 3055



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/17 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!


Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.


I think DirecTV stopped selling Full Court two or three years ago, so I think this is free, at least for sportspak subscribers.


DTV did this during the Olympic games and did not charge even if you fif not have the sport pac. Hope they don't charge for this I'll have to check unless someone finds out before I do and post it.


bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 569



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/17 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!


Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.


I think DirecTV stopped selling Full Court two or three years ago, so I think this is free, at least for sportspak subscribers.


DTV did this during the Olympic games and did not charge even if you fif not have the sport pac. Hope they don't charge for this I'll have to check unless someone finds out before I do and post it.


They show 4 channels for the 4 majors in golf, usually 2 channels of 2 or 3 people groups. In the 4 majors for tennis, they have 6 channels for different courts. I like it because I follow a few "middle tier" players.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8305
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/17/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing but the espn college extra logo showing up so far on mine.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20219



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/17/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be nice if wrap around coverage actually wrapped around.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 756



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/17/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I have to run over to Bristol and apply for the job of mopping up all that drool.

Rolling Eyes


The question I have is why does anyone expect ESPN to treat wcbb any differently than they and all the other media that covers sports treat every other sport? Worshiping stars is what they all do. It's amusing how those that want women's basketball to get equal treatment are unhappy when they get exactly that. The money that pumps through sports comes for the most part from advertisers and advertisers want stars to put on the front of their cereal boxes and endorse their deodorants. Look at college football. For the most part national coverage focuses on the half dozen Heisman Trophy candidates to the exclusion of the thousand of athletes that participate. Team coverage is mostly speculation about which 4 of 10 teams will make the championship playoffs. The coverage of pro basketball is more of the same except that as much time is spent examining the players private lives as their performance on the court.

You want women in the WNBA to earn multi-million dollar salaries? Then you have to put up with baggage that in addition to the above includes dealing with the corruption that comes from having billions of dollars gambled on the games.

People need to stop for a moment and realize that ESPN gives them an opportunity to watch any wcbb tournamnt game from start to finish on-line. Yeah, the wraparound coverage can be frustrating but then I can remember having to listen to the mens games on radio. The complaining reminds me of a kid with a candy bar whining because they don't have an ice cream cone.
Very Happy


Don't bother. ESPN is laying off a LOT more employees this month. I'm sure drool moppers will be first to go.


Stonington_QB



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 156
Location: Your safe space


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/17/17 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Confused
Why would anyone in 2017 settle for "whiparound coverage?" Is that even a thing anymore? Confused

That's a real head scratcher why anyone would even bring something like that up. There's this thing called the Internet now. Everyone with a paid TV subscription can take advantage of the WatchESPN app (or website) or use the ESPN 3 Kodi (SPMC) add-on, provided you log in with your credentials.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20219



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/17/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Confused
Why would anyone in 2017 settle for "whiparound coverage?" Is that even a thing anymore? Confused

That's a real head scratcher why anyone would even bring something like that up. There's this thing called the Internet now. Everyone with a paid TV subscription can take advantage of the WatchESPN app (or website) or use the ESPN 3 Kodi (SPMC) add-on, provided you log in with your credentials.


yeah, if your internet provider provides a good enough connection and/or if ESPN provided a way to choose to get a lower res download to correlate with your connection. Neither of which is the way it is for me and I have the best internet available in my area which is in the boondocks. I can watch games broadcast by P12, CUSA, and many other providers as well as youtube, etc... but ESPN sputters, pauses for long periods of time, and sometimes simply stops...which makes it almost unwatchable. If I'm desperate to see a game on it, I will put up with the issues and continually re-start it...but it is an absolute pain in the butt. Since I can in fact watch games that are broadcast by others I assume it's an ESPN issue and because there are more of you who can see it than of me who can't, they don't give a shit.


bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 3055



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/17/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!


Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.


I think DirecTV stopped selling Full Court two or three years ago, so I think this is free, at least for sportspak subscribers.




DTV did this during the Olympic games and did not charge even if you fif not have the sport pac. Hope they don't charge for this I'll have to check unless someone finds out before I do and post it.


They show 4 channels for the 4 majors in golf, usually 2 channels of 2 or 3 people groups. In the 4 majors for tennis, they have 6 channels for different courts. I like it because I follow a few "middle tier" players.


I am not getting any of these extra channels! Seems like one must have Sportpack to get them! Has anyone without spartpack getting them?


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4304



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/17/17 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!


Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.


I think DirecTV stopped selling Full Court two or three years ago, so I think this is free, at least for sportspak subscribers.




DTV did this during the Olympic games and did not charge even if you fif not have the sport pac. Hope they don't charge for this I'll have to check unless someone finds out before I do and post it.


They show 4 channels for the 4 majors in golf, usually 2 channels of 2 or 3 people groups. In the 4 majors for tennis, they have 6 channels for different courts. I like it because I follow a few "middle tier" players.


I am not getting any of these extra channels! Seems like one must have Sportpack to get them! Has anyone without spartpack getting them?



I'm getting them and I don't have Sportspack,



_________________
neverthless she persisted
Happycappie25



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 3852
Location: QUEENS!!!!


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/17 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fios airs them...tho I find for the very beginning it often picks up a few minutes late so you may have to look at the national coverage for a few minutes.

also will need to find the college extra channels...normally buried in the high high numbers but they're now in HD (when I had directv they were SD, small price to pay)

Announcers seem much better this year so far...and Taylor lobo and landers do a good job.

exciting games too and apparently they were actually whipping (tho as I said I had all 4 games up)



_________________
"Leave it to the NCAA women's basketball committee to turn a glass slipper into glass ceiling" Graham Hays
bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 569



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!


Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.


I think DirecTV stopped selling Full Court two or three years ago, so I think this is free, at least for sportspak subscribers.




DTV did this during the Olympic games and did not charge even if you fif not have the sport pac. Hope they don't charge for this I'll have to check unless someone finds out before I do and post it.


They show 4 channels for the 4 majors in golf, usually 2 channels of 2 or 3 people groups. In the 4 majors for tennis, they have 6 channels for different courts. I like it because I follow a few "middle tier" players.


I am not getting any of these extra channels! Seems like one must have Sportpack to get them! Has anyone without spartpack getting them?



I'm getting them and I don't have Sportspack,


Do you have Direct TV or Dish.


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4504



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sort of similar to today's UConn-Albany game but tomorrow Ohio State-Kentucky is the only game at 12 but then you have 3 games around 2:30. WVU-Maryland, DePaul-Miss State, NC State-Texas. Why not move one of those games to 12 so its easier to follow both instead of having three games at once, which makes it hard to keep up with?


kool-aide



Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1650



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish the women's tourny went back to the Sat/Mon & Sun/Tues schedule. Less time going head to head against the men's tourny. More chance for eyeballs on Mon & Tues. sigh


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4304



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!


Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.


I think DirecTV stopped selling Full Court two or three years ago, so I think this is free, at least for sportspak subscribers.




DTV did this during the Olympic games and did not charge even if you fif not have the sport pac. Hope they don't charge for this I'll have to check unless someone finds out before I do and post it.


They show 4 channels for the 4 majors in golf, usually 2 channels of 2 or 3 people groups. In the 4 majors for tennis, they have 6 channels for different courts. I like it because I follow a few "middle tier" players.


I am not getting any of these extra channels! Seems like one must have Sportpack to get them! Has anyone without spartpack getting them?



I'm getting them and I don't have Sportspack,


Do you have Direct TV or Dish.


Direct.

Edit: I may not be getting what I thought that I was. Just tried to get the Stanford New Mexico game and says I'm not subscribed.

Only game I'm getting is the L'ville/Chat. game. Yesterday, I got the Belmont/KY game. I'm not in a protected area for either game.

Last night, I thought that I recorded the FSU game, but now I see that I only got the DTV logo.

Guess I'll be happy with what I get. Would be nice to know ahead of time since I'm travelling and setting the recorder.



_________________
neverthless she persisted
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2143
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Direct.

Edit: I may not be getting what I thought that I was. Just tried to get the Stanford New Mexico game and says I'm not subscribed.

Only game I'm getting is the L'ville/Chat. game. Yesterday, I got the Belmont/KY game. I'm not in a protected area for either game.

Last night, I thought that I recorded the FSU game, but now I see that I only got the DTV logo.

Guess I'll be happy with what I get. Would be nice to know ahead of time since I'm travelling and setting the recorder.


I got all 4 channels yesterday but today I'm only getting the L'ville/Chattanooga game as well. Plus, we lost our local CBS station with about 4 mins to go in the men's Notre Dame vs West VA matchup. As if I needed more reasons to dump DTV!! I seriously think they have gotten worse since the AT&T thing happened.


bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 569



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Direct.

Edit: I may not be getting what I thought that I was. Just tried to get the Stanford New Mexico game and says I'm not subscribed.

Only game I'm getting is the L'ville/Chat. game. Yesterday, I got the Belmont/KY game. I'm not in a protected area for either game.

Last night, I thought that I recorded the FSU game, but now I see that I only got the DTV logo.

Guess I'll be happy with what I get. Would be nice to know ahead of time since I'm travelling and setting the recorder.


I got all 4 channels yesterday but today I'm only getting the L'ville/Chattanooga game as well. Plus, we lost our local CBS station with about 4 mins to go in the men's Notre Dame vs West VA matchup. As if I needed more reasons to dump DTV!! I seriously think they have gotten worse since the AT&T thing happened.


Thanks, when I read that there was trouble yesterday, I checked my channels. It had the order form on the cover. I called and asked them to check becasue it was free last year. After a long conversation the first lady told me it was for overflow games. I told her there won't be overflow because they are playing on the same floor. She said there was nothing else to do. After I hung up I opened my guide and on 209.1 "For extended WBB NCAA tourney coverage, please tune to channels 788-791." So I called back. I got a guy and told him thatI called earlier and I just read this and he did some checking. He told me it is included with the sports package. I would have to sign up for 3 months to get it and if I cancelled early, there was a fee. He did some manual things and gave me a credit and a date to cancel it so I won't have to pay the fine. I'm getting them all now.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11293



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/17 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How much is the sportspack? I thought it was Iike $5 per month.

To me it's the primary reason for having DirecTV. I can't hardly imagine a sports fan paying for DirecTV and not including all the regional sports channels, the specialized sports channels, and extra coverage like these tournament channels.

If it wasn't for all the sports stuff, I'd probably switch to FiOS.


bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 569



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
How much is the sportspack? I thought it was Iike $5 per month.

To me it's the primary reason for having DirecTV. I can't hardly imagine a sports fan paying for DirecTV and not including all the regional sports channels, the specialized sports channels, and extra coverage like these tournament channels.

If it wasn't for all the sports stuff, I'd probably switch to FiOS.


I think it's like 12.00 per month, and the cancellation fee was $10.00.


acsuc99



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 283



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/17 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon and Temple were tied with 5 mins left and I was watching on ESPN Sherri Coales having a conversation with a ref during a review in a 12 pt game in the 3RD QTR.

Yeah I'd say ESPN'S coverage could be better.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin