RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2017 Attrition, Transfer, and Injury Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fancy_daniel



Joined: 12 Oct 2005
Posts: 4219
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/17 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Noticed Slocum started following Scott Rueck on twitter, so gotta think the Beavers are in the mix.


I thought Oregon State would be in the mix because of it's proximity to Idaho. It's the best program close to there and with Rueck at the helm, I expect it to stay up there.


Lillian Hidgepork



Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 72
Location: Down South


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
I was going to say that Tori McCoy is welcome to Kentucky, but it sounds like she has some baggage. Then again our post situation needs an upgrade for the future.


Do you really think any Mac Irvin players will be coming to UK anytime soon?


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4483



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harper's decision to leave UK for OSU doesn't seem that great, she's basically just a role player now.


Lillian Hidgepork



Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 72
Location: Down South


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Harper's decision to leave UK for OSU doesn't seem that great, she's basically just a role player now.


I agree. Bad move on her part.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 3956
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RS Junior G Tiffany Suarez graduates from Fordham and will transfer to Eastern Michigan for a final season, where she will be eligible immediately.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4483



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
RS Junior G Tiffany Suarez graduates from Fordham and will transfer to Eastern Michigan for a final season, where she will be eligible immediately.


She started her career at Virginia. This is the natural progression of transferring, now you have players going to three schools. Is the grass greener or maybe should you just water the grass where you are so to say and make things better at your current school? Not sure how this helps basketball wise or even socially, leaving every year or two, hard to make close friends, hard to learn a system and get acclimated on the court. She's not the only one, these double transfers are happening more often.


elsie



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 64



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gonzaga is just up the road...we have a terrific incoming class and a coach that has won COY 2 out of her 3 yrs....Meridian is closer to Spokane I think then either of the Oregon schools...up thru McCall Idaho or via I-84..


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 2638
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 5:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bret McCormick: HC Agnes Berenato Kennesaw State picks up transfer Simina Avram 6-3 C from Georgia Tech. Originally from Romania.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 4483



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Savannah Trapp is her name and I don't think she even suited up for one game. I believe she graduated from UCLA and she also had a baby while she was here.


Oh thanks. She left the team at one point for "personal reasons".That could have been a pregnancy.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 7870



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
RS Junior G Tiffany Suarez graduates from Fordham and will transfer to Eastern Michigan for a final season, where she will be eligible immediately.


She started her career at Virginia. This is the natural progression of transferring, now you have players going to three schools. Is the grass greener or maybe should you just water the grass where you are so to say and make things better at your current school? Not sure how this helps basketball wise or even socially, leaving every year or two, hard to make close friends, hard to learn a system and get acclimated on the court. She's not the only one, these double transfers are happening more often.


I just don't get why people criticize transfers. Why shouldn't someone go to different schools if that's what they want to do? The points made are valid, but for some people, moving around at that age fits their needs.

I feel like there's this unfounded nostaglia for a time when players stuck it out in a bad situation no matter what rather than do what their bosses at the school can do: Work for someone else with no penalty.

Why is it wrong to want to try something new, especially at 21 or 22? I'm not saying it's right or perfect for everyone, but shouldn't an adult have that option and not be criticized for executing it?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 3956
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leaving UVA for Fordham is a pretty good lateral. They're both extremely decent academically. Eastern Michigan, I dunno...unless it has a particular grad major she wants that is very good. Some of the mid-majors do.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10793



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:


I feel like there's this unfounded nostaglia for a time when players stuck it out in a bad situation no matter what rather than do what their bosses at the school can do: Work for someone else with no penalty.


Part of the problem is the assumption that it was a "bad situation" that caused the transfer. Some of the ridicule is the result of it being players in what are, from all appearances, in perfectly fine situations, making choices based on what appear to be delusions of grandeur, inflated egos, or simply "grass is always greener" naivete.

Sometimes there's an obvious "bad situation" and then I think you see no negative commentary. Sometimes undoubtedly there are issues of which fans are unaware. But sometimes it's exactly what it appears to be.

These decisions affect far more than just the one player. There are impacts on teammates, coaches, fans, schools. A lot of people were trusting and relying on those players.

And the notion that in the real world people can flit around without consequence is nonsense. People can get hurt there too when a key employee bails out at a critical juncture, and when someone with a resume full of job changes shows up at your shop, the first question will likely be "why have you moved around so much." Sometimes there's a good answer and sometimes there's not. But the potential employer will most certainly be asking "can we rely on this person"?

Having a right to move doesn't equate to a right to be free from criticism.

And obviously many coaches try to avoid recruits with red flags. Example, I think a lot of top coaches ran and hid from McCoy, concluding (correctly) that was a train wreck waiting to happen.


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 2638
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Leaving UVA for Fordham is a pretty good lateral. They're both extremely decent academically. Eastern Michigan, I dunno...unless it has a particular grad major she wants that is very good. Some of the mid-majors do.


Most of the people I know who went to EMU for grad school went for teaching or social work.

A little history - EMU was originally Michigan State Normal College, established as the first teachers' training school west of the Allegheny Mountains.

EMU is not known for developing models or sportscasters. Perhaps her interest has shifted.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/state-college-sports/article52682780.html


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 2638
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMHO - the NCAA should abolish the 1 year penalty. They should level the playing field and let everyone transfer without penalty.

When certain players get exemptions (Romero at UW, White at FSU, etc.), it makes a mockery of the rule for all of the other kids who have to sit out.

Sometimes it's academics, sometimes it's team chemistry, sometimes it's getting out of a bad situation (abuse/homophobia), sometimes it's about getting closer to home...and sometimes the coach has severed the relationship but allowed the kid to save face by saying it's a transfer.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 7870



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

>Part of the problem is the assumption that it was a "bad situation" that caused the transfer. Some of the ridicule is the result of it being players in what are, from all appearances, in perfectly fine situations, making choices based on what appear to be delusions of grandeur, inflated egos, or simply "grass is always greener" naivete.

But what difference does it make if it's a "good situation"? Shouldn't people be able to do what they think is best for them? Maybe a "good situation" for someone, or from what we see, isn't as good a situation for someone else.

And what is wrong with "delusions of grandeur, inflated egos, or simply "grass is always greener" naivete"? If people have those traits, does that mean they shouldn't be able to transfer? Should only people with a solid grasp of reality, an under-control ego and unconcerned with green grass be allowed to transfer?

And if so, who decides which player/family falls into which group?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1080



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some posters with inflated egos on this board Laughing


#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1005



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2 out at ND

https://twitter.com/BrandonClayPSB/status/851491283981959168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23851491283981959168

Maybe Boyle will end up at UK?
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 16641
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
2 out at ND

https://twitter.com/BrandonClayPSB/status/851491283981959168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23851491283981959168

Maybe Boyle will end up at UK?


Shocking.

First, Muffet does not have a huge number of transfers. Biggest one as of late was Reimer.

Second, Patberg already missed one year with injuries. But she had a prime opportunity at PG with Allen graduating.

Third, Boley played a lot as a freshman and started a number of games. With the likelihood of Turner missing games with injuries, she and Westbeld would have probably been the starting frontcourt.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 2529
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
2 out at ND

https://twitter.com/BrandonClayPSB/status/851491283981959168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23851491283981959168

Maybe Boyle will end up at UK?


Surprised by Boley , but Not surprised . She didn't seem comfy with the other ND players , i thought maybe when turner went down and her minutes went up she would begin to find her own . Sad to see her leave , this transfer stuff is just becoming outrageous.



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1005



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
2 out at ND

https://twitter.com/BrandonClayPSB/status/851491283981959168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23851491283981959168

Maybe Boyle will end up at UK?


Shocking.

First, Muffet does not have a huge number of transfers. Biggest one as of late was Reimer.

Second, Patberg already missed one year with injuries. But she had a prime opportunity at PG with Allen graduating.

Third, Boley played a lot as a freshman and started a number of games. With the likelihood of Turner missing games with injuries, she and Westbeld would have probably been the starting frontcourt.


I always thought ND would start Ogunbowale, Thompson, and Mabrey in the back court next year.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19348



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Boley is the real surprise. She showed a lot of promise. And being from Kentucky, if she wants to go home, I'm guessing they'll be happy to have her. Or if she wants to be the big stud in a slightly smaller setting, maybe follow her Dad's footsteps to Western KY. Boy ND will be limited in the front court unless one of the incoming Freshmen really steps up.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19348



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
2 out at ND

https://twitter.com/BrandonClayPSB/status/851491283981959168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23851491283981959168

Maybe Boyle will end up at UK?


Shocking.

First, Muffet does not have a huge number of transfers. Biggest one as of late was Reimer.

Second, Patberg already missed one year with injuries. But she had a prime opportunity at PG with Allen graduating.

Third, Boley played a lot as a freshman and started a number of games. With the likelihood of Turner missing games with injuries, she and Westbeld would have probably been the starting frontcourt.


I always thought ND would start Ogunbowale, Thompson, and Mabrey in the back court next year.


hmm, somhow everyone thinks PG can be played by committee? None of those three are PGs!



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1005



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Scott Boley Erin's Dad. ND sending out blanket release to every D1 compliance office or contact ND compliance office.


https://twitter.com/ASGR1995/status/851495464889458688
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 3956
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
2 out at ND

https://twitter.com/BrandonClayPSB/status/851491283981959168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23851491283981959168

Maybe Boyle will end up at UK?


Wow.

Isn't Patberg *from* Indiana? Maybe IU or Purdue? Or might either or both choose a lower pressure (i.e. mid-major) program like, say, Ball State or, as was suggested in the case of Boley, WKU?



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10793



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Scott Boley has tweeted his own phone number with" for information ( on Erin) contact" him at ________.

Is it only a coincidence that a significant number of these transfers seem to have very active visible stage parents acting publicly​ as their "agents"?


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 53421
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Is it only a coincidence that a significant number of these transfers seem to have very active visible stage parents acting publicly​ as their "agents"?


Since they're not allowed real agents, they have to make do.



_________________
Laugh about it, shout about it
When you've got to choose
Every way you look at it you lose
Phil



Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 880



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND had eleven on roster, three seniors and two transfers means six returning. Two incoming in top 100, anyone else incoming?


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4483



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
ND had eleven on roster, three seniors and two transfers means six returning. Two incoming in top 100, anyone else incoming?


Did your count of 11 include the Stanford transfer? If not, that's one more. Also ND lists Nelson as a SR but she has a year remaining, so basically really a redshirt junior. She is coming back, so there's another potential addition unless you had already counted her.


Phil



Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 880



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Phil wrote:
ND had eleven on roster, three seniors and two transfers means six returning. Two incoming in top 100, anyone else incoming?


Did your count of 11 include the Stanford transfer? If not, that's one more. Also ND lists Nelson as a SR but she has a year remaining, so basically really a redshirt junior. She is coming back, so there's another potential addition unless you had already counted her.


Good point, I had forgotten about Lili, and I did not know Nelson had another year.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10793



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ali Patberg has two years in a row won the Rockne Student-Athlete Award for Women's Basketball and is a finance major in the business school with a 3.62 GPA. ND's Mendoza School of Business is Business Week's number two ranked undergraduate business school in the country.

I can understand her desire to transfer. She has been hampered by injuries, has not been able to assume the role that Muffet had envisioned for her, and sees Lili Thompson coming in next year and Jenna Brown committed for 2018.

But this is one of those cases where I really hope an excellent student getting an excellent education and degree, working hard and performing well, doesn't squander that lifetime opportunity.

I hope she chooses a top notch school.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 4483



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
>Part of the problem is the assumption that it was a "bad situation" that caused the transfer. Some of the ridicule is the result of it being players in what are, from all appearances, in perfectly fine situations, making choices based on what appear to be delusions of grandeur, inflated egos, or simply "grass is always greener" naivete.

But what difference does it make if it's a "good situation"? Shouldn't people be able to do what they think is best for them? Maybe a "good situation" for someone, or from what we see, isn't as good a situation for someone else.

And what is wrong with "delusions of grandeur, inflated egos, or simply "grass is always greener" naivete"? If people have those traits, does that mean they shouldn't be able to transfer? Should only people with a solid grasp of reality, an under-control ego and unconcerned with green grass be allowed to transfer?

And if so, who decides which player/family falls into which group?


Well said. I think a lot of the critical attitude that fans have towards transfers is due to the NCAA implicitly saying that transferring is bad since they punish the players with a year of inactivity. I think we'd have a lot less criticism if the NCAA took away their rule about sitting out a year.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10793



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
>Part of the problem is the assumption that it was a "bad situation" that caused the transfer. Some of the ridicule is the result of it being players in what are, from all appearances, in perfectly fine situations, making choices based on what appear to be delusions of grandeur, inflated egos, or simply "grass is always greener" naivete.

But what difference does it make if it's a "good situation"? Shouldn't people be able to do what they think is best for them? Maybe a "good situation" for someone, or from what we see, isn't as good a situation for someone else.

And what is wrong with "delusions of grandeur, inflated egos, or simply "grass is always greener" naivete"? If people have those traits, does that mean they shouldn't be able to transfer? Should only people with a solid grasp of reality, an under-control ego and unconcerned with green grass be allowed to transfer?

And if so, who decides which player/family falls into which group?


Well said. I think a lot of the critical attitude that fans have towards transfers is due to the NCAA implicitly saying that transferring is bad since they punish the players with a year of inactivity. I think we'd have a lot less criticism if the NCAA took away their rule about sitting out a year.


Who said they "shouldn't be able to transfer"? Oh that's right. Nobody.

But why are you trying to tell people that they shouldn't be able to criticize or even ridicule the conduct?

Transfers can have adverse impacts on other people. These actions are not without consequences. Stop pretending that the only person affected is the player herself.

You ask "Shouldn't people be able to do what they think is best for them?" Sounds like the very definition of selfish, self-centered, self-absorbed behavior. Screw everybody else I might be hurting. Screw everyone relying on me. Forget everything I've been telling people all along. It's all about me and what I want. You seem to celebrate that attitude.

Damn straight people have a right to criticize it. And a year sitting out is a perfectly rationale buffer against total chaos. You sign up and take a free $60,000/yr education, that's the cost of bailing out on people who are relying on you.


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 2638
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oft-injured Michigan player, Emoni Jackson, transfers within the county. She was moved from player to student assistant coach this year when it appeared her knee would never heal. She stopped sitting on the bench after the fall semester if I remember correctly.

Emoni played in 10 games in 14-15, her freshman year.

Chris Hansen:

BREAKING

@EMUWBB picks up Michigan transfer Emoni Jackson 6-1 F from Long Beach Poly @CalSparksClub


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 2638
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bret McCormick:

Jodi Ramil 6-2 C has transferred from Georgetown to HC Linda Cimino Binghamton University. Originally from Binghamton NY.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 4483



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
>Part of the problem is the assumption that it was a "bad situation" that caused the transfer. Some of the ridicule is the result of it being players in what are, from all appearances, in perfectly fine situations, making choices based on what appear to be delusions of grandeur, inflated egos, or simply "grass is always greener" naivete.

But what difference does it make if it's a "good situation"? Shouldn't people be able to do what they think is best for them? Maybe a "good situation" for someone, or from what we see, isn't as good a situation for someone else.

And what is wrong with "delusions of grandeur, inflated egos, or simply "grass is always greener" naivete"? If people have those traits, does that mean they shouldn't be able to transfer? Should only people with a solid grasp of reality, an under-control ego and unconcerned with green grass be allowed to transfer?

And if so, who decides which player/family falls into which group?


Well said. I think a lot of the critical attitude that fans have towards transfers is due to the NCAA implicitly saying that transferring is bad since they punish the players with a year of inactivity. I think we'd have a lot less criticism if the NCAA took away their rule about sitting out a year.


Who said they "shouldn't be able to transfer"? Oh that's right. Nobody.


But if somebody does something, and others bitch about it, it's implicit that they didn't think they should do it. So "shouldn't ever transfer" seems to work.


Quote:

But why are you trying to tell people that they shouldn't be able to criticize or even ridicule the conduct?


Why are you trying to tell me that I shouldn't be able to criticize or even ridicule your criticism and ridicule? Your attitude towards criticism is extremely self-centered and one-sided.

Quote:

Transfers can have adverse impacts on other people. These actions are not without consequences. Stop pretending that the only person affected is the player herself.


I didn't make any statements about how many people were affected, like some coach that you or others have deified. Stop pretending that there are any important consequences from a student-athlete transferring.

Quote:

You ask "Shouldn't people be able to do what they think is best for them?" Sounds like the very definition of selfish, self-centered, self-absorbed behavior. Screw everybody else I might be hurting. Screw everyone relying on me. Forget everything I've been telling people all along. It's all about me and what I want. You seem to celebrate that attitude.


I have a lot more respect for a student-athlete that does what they want, versus doing what fans, the coach, or their teammates want. It is their life, not yours. I want them attending the school they prefer, not making you and other fans happy.

Quote:

Damn straight people have a right to criticize it. And a year sitting out is a perfectly rationale buffer against total chaos. You sign up and take a free $60,000/yr education, that's the cost of bailing out on people who are relying on you.


The coach can jettison players at any time. The university can jettison the coach at any time. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. "Total chaos" is gross hyperbole to describe players being able to transfer without penalty. College ball starts with the situation that all players are there for only a maximum of four years. There is already massive change baked into the system.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19348



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think sitting out a year is a reasonable 'compensation' for flipping schools. I do think that there probably should be more extenuating circumstances. For instance if a coach leaves who recruited you, it should be easier for you to transfer as well. One thing about the education: if you transfer, you usually get an extra year of that free education as well. It's not like you really suffer by having to sit out a year. In fact it might be a smart thing to do for those kids who aren't going pro just to get in a year of graduate school paid for...And I think if it's too easy to transfer then it sets the stage for increased corruption in what is offered as incentives.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19348



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:


"Total chaos" is gross hyperbole to describe players being able to transfer without penalty. College ball starts with the situation that all players are there for only a maximum of four years. There is already massive change baked into the system.


I think in some cases it really is 'total chaos'. For instance when you have a junior PG and a Freshman PG who you think will be taking over, or already has taken over (see Destiny Slocum) so you don't recruit a PG for the next year, and then that Freshman PG leaves, you definitely are left in the lurch. Or say you have only 3 posts and one is out injured, and no posts coming in and one of the 2 remaining posts leaves, it definitely leaves that team scrambling. Yeah, the coaches only have the kids for 4 years but most of them have a plan in place to try to bring in kids at specific positions at specific intervals. You have to know that there will be some injuries and some kids that simply will never be more than bench sitters or live up to expectations but will still be taking that scholarship. That creates a tighter weave in what you can do. When you lose a key piece, or more than one, to transfer, it can certainly create what I would call chaos.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 14783
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
So Scott Boley has tweeted his own phone number with" for information ( on Erin) contact" him at ________.

Is it only a coincidence that a significant number of these transfers seem to have very active visible stage parents acting publicly​ as their "agents"?


I am more weirded out by the fact that this dude is perfectly okay with putting his phone number on the Internet where anyone can see it, something we were taught never to do as kids.



_________________
"Silence must be heard, noise should be observed
The time has come to learn, that silence...
SILENCE MUST BE HEARD..."
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19348



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
So Scott Boley has tweeted his own phone number with" for information ( on Erin) contact" him at ________.

Is it only a coincidence that a significant number of these transfers seem to have very active visible stage parents acting publicly​ as their "agents"?


I am more weirded out by the fact that this dude is perfectly okay with putting his phone number on the Internet where anyone can see it, something we were taught never to do as kids.


Maybe he has a special phone only for this process. That would seem likely. Still he's apt to get a lot of weird calls on it.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 53421
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
You sign up and take a free $60,000/yr education


It's not free, they have to work for it.



_________________
Laugh about it, shout about it
When you've got to choose
Every way you look at it you lose
elsie



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 64



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

" Well said. I think a lot of the critical attitude that fans have towards transfers is due to the NCAA implicitly saying that transferring is bad since they punish the players with a year of inactivity. I think we'd have a lot less criticism if the NCAA took away their rule about sitting out a year."

there has to be some restrictions otherwise the big schools would have a huge advantage.....money and wealth talks....

hey, you coach up a player for 3 yrs and pay for their college tuition plus room and board and extra money for incidentals and then they decide once they're pretty good that they want to run away to UConn?...

however, sometimes the sitting out is draconian...we had a player who left her program in the fall and wasn't allowed to play for us for 1 and 1/2 yrs....now that's ridiculous...


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10446
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
So Scott Boley has tweeted his own phone number with" for information ( on Erin) contact" him at ________.

Is it only a coincidence that a significant number of these transfers seem to have very active visible stage parents acting publicly​ as their "agents"?


I am more weirded out by the fact that this dude is perfectly okay with putting his phone number on the Internet where anyone can see it, something we were taught never to do as kids.


Who the hell had Internet access as "kids"?? Shocked I was taught to not put my number on a bathroom wall. Laughing Laughing

myrtle wrote:
When you lose a key piece, or more than one, to transfer, it can certainly create what I would call chaos.


"Chaos" is what sees after a terrorist attack on innocents. Basketball is still a game, a game that is meant to be "Played". While I comprehend the disruption to a venerated program that transfers induce, I don't think it merits the general insulting of others and their diverging opinions here. (not YOU, Myrtle.... Smile )



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 4483



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/17 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
" Well said. I think a lot of the critical attitude that fans have towards transfers is due to the NCAA implicitly saying that transferring is bad since they punish the players with a year of inactivity. I think we'd have a lot less criticism if the NCAA took away their rule about sitting out a year."

there has to be some restrictions otherwise the big schools would have a huge advantage.....money and wealth talks....


Don't they currently have a huge advantage?


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3232
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/17 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Boley ends up at Stanford. Tat 4 Tit.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 4483



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/17 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think sitting out a year is a reasonable 'compensation' for flipping schools. I do think that there probably should be more extenuating circumstances. For instance if a coach leaves who recruited you, it should be easier for you to transfer as well. One thing about the education: if you transfer, you usually get an extra year of that free education as well. It's not like you really suffer by having to sit out a year. In fact it might be a smart thing to do for those kids who aren't going pro just to get in a year of graduate school paid for...And I think if it's too easy to transfer then it sets the stage for increased corruption in what is offered as incentives.


Yeah, that's a good point that the extra year of scholarship (assuming that is always the case) does reward transferring in one sense.

One way to get rid of the "you owe us 4 years because we put some time and money into you" issue, is to get rid of athletic scholarships.




Last edited by tfan on 04/11/17 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 4483



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/17 1:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boley was a 2016 McDonald’s All-American and the 2016 Gatorade National Player of the Year. She probably didn't expect to be 8th on the team in minutes per game, even as a freshman. And that was with her getting 10 starts. Not sure if she is a 3 or a 4, but neither of the starters at those positions graduated this year, so she would have likely been coming off the bench her sophomore year as well.


Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 356



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/17 5:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
>Part of the problem is the assumption that it was a "bad situation" that caused the transfer. Some of the ridicule is the result of it being players in what are, from all appearances, in perfectly fine situations, making choices based on what appear to be delusions of grandeur, inflated egos, or simply "grass is always greener" naivete.

But what difference does it make if it's a "good situation"? Shouldn't people be able to do what they think is best for them? Maybe a "good situation" for someone, or from what we see, isn't as good a situation for someone else.

And what is wrong with "delusions of grandeur, inflated egos, or simply "grass is always greener" naivete"? If people have those traits, does that mean they shouldn't be able to transfer? Should only people with a solid grasp of reality, an under-control ego and unconcerned with green grass be allowed to transfer?

And if so, who decides which player/family falls into which group?


Well said. I think a lot of the critical attitude that fans have towards transfers is due to the NCAA implicitly saying that transferring is bad since they punish the players with a year of inactivity. I think we'd have a lot less criticism if the NCAA took away their rule about sitting out a year.


Who said they "shouldn't be able to transfer"? Oh that's right. Nobody.

But why are you trying to tell people that they shouldn't be able to criticize or even ridicule the conduct?

Transfers can have adverse impacts on other people. These actions are not without consequences. Stop pretending that the only person affected is the player herself.

You ask "Shouldn't people be able to do what they think is best for them?" Sounds like the very definition of selfish, self-centered, self-absorbed behavior. Screw everybody else I might be hurting. Screw everyone relying on me. Forget everything I've been telling people all along. It's all about me and what I want. You seem to celebrate that attitude.

Damn straight people have a right to criticize it. And a year sitting out is a perfectly rationale buffer against total chaos. You sign up and take a free $60,000/yr education, that's the cost of bailing out on people who are relying on you.


Agreed 110%.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10793



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/17 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:


One way to get rid of the "you owe us 4 years because we put some time and money into you" issue, is to get rid of athletic scholarships.


Hey, why stop there? Why not just get rid of college sports entirely? That would get rid of all the sports related issues. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2124
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/17 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could certainly use Boley at Purdue.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 7870



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talk to a scholarship athlete and ask if the education is "free."

Are students who pay tuition required to lift weights three times a week at 6 a.m.? Do students who pay tuition have to avoid certain classes that they want to take because they conflict with practice? Do students who pay tuition have to attend mandatory study halls even if their grades are good? And so on ...

Being on scholarship is having a job. Maybe it's well-paid, or maybe it's not, but it's far from "free."

And to beat my favorite dead horse, does "chaos" ensue when coaches leave or athletic directors leave or school administrators leave? They have no penalty for changing jobs, but students do. Cuonzo Martin left Cal's men's basketball program to go to Missouri, and stole two recruits from Washington and shook up Cal's recruiting class. That seems a lot more like "chaos" to me than Ali Patberg being immediately eligible at Illinois.

Finally, the Power 5 schools already have an enormous advantage, and allowing transfers to be eligible immediately would, I believe, help mid-majors because then athletes would be able to spend a year and have a much better idea of where they fit, and how important it is to them, or not, to play the game rather than sit on the bench for a Final Four team. Sitting out a year and paying your own way is a major, major deterrent to many athletes who otherwise might want to try out the WCC instead of watching from the bench in the Pac-12.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin