RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 Attrition, Transfer, and Injury Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davion Wingate, 5'6 SG, transferring from Stony Brook. She will not be allowed to transfer to any America East team, Manhattan, Hofstra, Harvard, Yale, Cornell, GA Southern, Central CT, Syracuse, or Iona (what a weird assortment!).

PostPosted: 04/05/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think it's more like a waterfall effect - they see so many others doing it that now it seems normal, so "I'm not totally happy here/not getting enough playing time/don't feel comfortable with some teammates/the coach isn't what she (he) promised me, the style of play sucks, my team sucks, etc... so I'll transfer someplace else." I think it works out well for some of them and others find that the problem/unhappiness was probably themselves and will follow them wherever they go.

Chrishae Rowe. Taya Reimer. Etc.

Slocum is a real head-scratcher, imo: (apparent) "success" is no guarantee of contentment or satisfaction with one's circumstances.

PostPosted: 04/05/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Davion Wingate, 5'6 SG, transferring from Stony Brook. She will not be allowed to transfer to any America East team, Manhattan, Hofstra, Harvard, Yale, Cornell, GA Southern, Central CT, Syracuse, or Iona (what a weird assortment!).

I suspect we just got a hint of what Stony Brook's schedule looks like the next couple of years; that's usually the reason for esoteric transfer blockages.

(now with spelling variations)
bcdawg04

PostPosted: 04/05/17 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I think it's more like a waterfall effect - they see so many others doing it that now it seems normal, so "I'm not totally happy here/not getting enough playing time/don't feel comfortable with some teammates/the coach isn't what she (he) promised me, the style of play sucks, my team sucks, etc... so I'll transfer someplace else." I think it works out well for some of them and others find that the problem/unhappiness was probably themselves and will follow them wherever they go.

Chrishae Rowe. Taya Reimer. Etc.

Slocum is a real head-scratcher, imo: (apparent) "success" is no guarantee of contentment or satisfaction with one's circumstances.

Chrishae Rowe wasn't given any choice when she left Oregon or Kentucky.

Edited to add: Interesting that Rowe's Ole Miss bio has this tidbit:

Quote:
Freshman Season at Oregon (2013-14): Pac-12 Freshman of the Year and earned All-Pac 12 honors

She made the All-Freshman conference team, but she wasn't FOY. That is patently false.

Last edited by bcdawg04 on 04/05/17 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 04/05/17 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
National FOY Destiny Slocum transferring from Maryland

http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/4/4/15118796/maryland-destiny-slocum-transferring-ncaaw

Quote:
We would like to thank Destiny and her family for their contributions to Maryland this year. I truly enjoyed coaching Destiny, and her energy she brought every day. I had many long conversations with her over the season, and we spent a lot of time together. Our staff is proud of the commitment we put into Destiny’s development and all the accomplishments she achieved this season. We wish her continued success as she moves forward.

Holy shamoley! That's yet ANOTHER star freshman transferring away from Brenda. Does she ever even wonder WHY?

Everyone seems to use the excuse of " Homesick/Closer to Family" remember Lexie Used that Last year and now Gillespie & Slocum Using the same excuse this year. something is not right at UMD . Not right i tell ya

From the horse's mouth, Lexie wanted to be in the ACC.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 04/05/17 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/4/4/15118796/maryland-destiny-slocum-transferring-ncaaw

Quote:
We would like to thank Destiny and her family for their contributions to Maryland this year. I truly enjoyed coaching Destiny, and her energy she brought every day. I had many long conversations with her over the season, and we spent a lot of time together. Our staff is proud of the commitment we put into Destiny’s development and all the accomplishments she achieved this season. We wish her continued success as she moves forward.

Holy shamoley! That's yet ANOTHER star freshman transferring away from Brenda. Does she ever even wonder WHY?

Everyone seems to use the excuse of " Homesick/Closer to Family" remeber Lexie Used that Last year and now Gillespie & Slocum Using the same excuse this year. something is not right at UMD . Not right i tell ya

Destiny Slocum: Maryland 'wasn't the right fit'

Here's an article that counters that.

‘Homesick’ Slocum considering programs west of the Mississippi, source says

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/article142651089.html

Quote:
There’s no doubt the distance has worn on the Idaho native

Quote:
“She is super homesick,” Christina Slocum told the Idaho Statesman on March 21.

Quote:
A source close to Slocum said Tuesday that “any program west of the Mississippi could be in the mix — from Stanford to Boise State to Baylor."

Baylor doesn't seem all that close.

Quote:
Another source close to the situation confirmed Boise State would be interested.

“I’m keeping my options open,” Slocum told the Idaho Statesman late Tuesday night.

Mike Neighbors, the head coach who originally recruited Slocum at Washington, left the Huskies for Arkansas on Monday. His departure from the Pac-12 program could factor into Slocum’s decision.

Quote:
She had more assists (204) and more 3-pointers (71) than any freshman in school history.

Quote:
Playing at a university closer to home would allow Slocum to see her family on a more consistent basis. At Maryland, many of her teammates were from the East Coast and able to go home on the weekends.

“It was kind of hard,” the source said.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:
A source close to Slocum said Tuesday that “any program west of the Mississippi could be in the mix — from Stanford to Boise State to Baylor."

omg. That would be awesome...but I don't think we've ever taken a transfer. And the academic hurdles/red tape are still in place. Still one can hope. Anyway I hope it's a P12 team. I'd like us to keep all the talent West of the Mississippi, West of the Mississippi. [boo to UTenn for stealing our Pac NW girls]

Quote:
Another source close to the situation confirmed Boise State would be interested.

no shit!

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 04/05/17 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
[boo to UTenn for stealing our Pac NW girls]

UTenn?? Lambaste UConn for getting the Really Good Ones, LOL! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/06/17 5:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I suspect we just got a hint of what Stony Brook's schedule looks like the next couple of years; that's usually the reason for esoteric transfer blockages.

Probably, but there's something particularly offensive to me about telling a young woman "ok, you can get in and they're offering you a free ride to Yale and Harvard, but we won't let you take it."

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/06/17 6:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Wow! I see she's from Meridian, ID (close to Boise). Will this turn out to be a transfer closer to home? Oregon or Oregon State look to be the closest bigger programs.

She decommited from Washington University in 2015 which is also located in a contiguous state.

PostPosted: 04/06/17 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Everyone seems to use the excuse of " Homesick/Closer to Family" remeber Lexie Used that Last year and now Gillespie & Slocum Using the same excuse this year. something is not right at UMD . Not right i tell ya

Don't forget about Dara Taylor and Natasha Cloud who transferred as well.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/06/17 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
It's like suddenly all these kids realized,....."OMG the BIG sucks!!"

I wouldn't put too much into some of them. Purdue, for instance, is a pretty good, tough school, and someone who graduates early may have actually used basketball to <gasp> further her education! I know, shocking, right? But not completely unheard of, especially among those who sit at the lower end of the bench, or have a serious injury along the way. Others may simply wish to transfer to graduate school elsewhere. It happens.

PostPosted: 04/06/17 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
It's like suddenly all these kids realized,....."OMG the BIG sucks!!"

I wouldn't put too much into some of them. Purdue, for instance, is a pretty good, tough school, and someone who graduates early may have actually used basketball to <gasp> further her education! I know, shocking, right? But not completely unheard of, especially among those who sit at the lower end of the bench, or have a serious injury along the way. Others may simply wish to transfer to graduate school elsewhere. It happens.

Exactly. Horrocks has her degree and will transfer somewhere to get a Master's while she hopefully gets some playing time over the next 2 years. In all honesty, this was a blessing in disguise as Purdue could use the extra scholarship seeing as McLaughlin had just taken their last one available for the next couple of years.

geeceem

PostPosted: 04/06/17 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiseone1 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Don't forget about Dara Taylor and Natasha Cloud who transferred as well.

Jackie Nared. Whitney Bays. Drey Mingo. That said, Cloud definitely had family reasons to transfer. Nared was a left coaster who wanted to stay out there. These are young people, after all. I mean, players transfer out of Geno's and Muffett's programs, too.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 04/06/17 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebekah Dahlman will graduate from Vanderbilt and play her final year of eligibility elsewhere.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/06/17 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Semerau does a good job of evaluating and meshing transfers so she may be pretty busy this week.

Dawn has some roster spots open next year as well.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/06/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tim McCoy, articulates what his daughter is 👀 for in the program to which she transfers.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/girls-basketball/2017-04-05/update-illini-not-among-mccoys-options.html

Last edited by NoDakSt on 04/06/17 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
adamj95

PostPosted: 04/06/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Rebekah Dahlman will graduate from Vanderbilt and play her final year of eligibility elsewhere.

She'd look good in maroon and gold.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/06/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Tim McCoy, articulates what his daughter is 👀 for in the program to which she transfers.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/girls-basketball/2017-04-05/update-illini-not-among-mccoys-options.html

Interesting point at the end. Seems like maybe this is a way to somehow get her sister a scholarship as well? I have no idea if her sister can play or not but I'm guessing she isn't quite at the level of Tori.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/06/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Interesting point at the end. Seems like maybe this is a way to somehow get her sister a scholarship as well? I have no idea if her sister can play or not but I'm guessing she isn't quite at the level of Tori.

sounds like another parent controlling there kids future . Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/06/17 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

That might explain the McCoys initial attraction to tOSU as Chelsea Mitchell received a scholarship (indeed Dear Old Dad got a coaching job) because of the uber-talented sister.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/06/17 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Naaaaah. She isn't demanding much. "I may be a big muscular 6'4" but I want to play wing and shoot jump shots, oh, and I want my sister on the team, and you'll have to negotiate with my daddy for my services." But I'm sure somebody will say "anything you want Tori. No problem" Rolling Eyes

Looks like McGuff must have learned his lesson with the Mitchell clan and said "never again".

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/06/17 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Naaaaah. She isn't demanding much. "I may be a big muscular 6'4" but I want to play wing and shoot jump shots, oh, and I want my sister on the team, and you'll have to negotiate with my daddy for my services." But I'm sure somebody will say "anything you want Tori. No problem" Rolling Eyes

Looks like McGuff must have learned his lesson with the Mitchell clan and said "never again".

i Dont blame him , this is getting out of hand. Now we have players going to schools just so there family members can recieve proper compensation wether its a place on the staff or a free scholarship with no talent. I hope this doesnt become a trend. I remember reading A. Hayes incoming freshmen for tennesee saying she wants to go to a place where ALL 4 of her sisters can get scholarships and play and its like how can you make demands without even stepping on the court ? Geno said it best , these kids think there doing you some sort of a favor by choosing a school when the education should be the primary factor.

PostPosted: 04/06/17 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think its new. There's always been some players or parents who make various demands. What's new is that with social media it tends to quickly become public knowledge.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 04/06/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Wow! I see she's from Meridian, ID (close to Boise). Will this turn out to be a transfer closer to home? Oregon or Oregon State look to be the closest bigger programs.

She decommited from Washington University in 2015 which is also located in a contiguous state.

Washington University is in St. Louis....

She committed to the University of Washington which is in Seattle.

John Wooden
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 5 of 27

Jump to: