RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coates To Miss Part of WNBA Season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/10/17 11:54 am    ::: Coates To Miss Part of WNBA Season Reply Reply with quote

http://summitthoops.com/2017/04/10/breaking-alaina-coates-ankle-surgery/

Surgery officially announced , how does this effect her draft status ? Embarassed

PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:17 pm    ::: Re: Coates To Miss Part of WNBA Season Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
http://summitthoops.com/2017/04/10/breaking-alaina-coates-ankle-surgery/

Surgery officially announced , how does this effect her draft status ? Embarassed

If she falls to 8, I wonder if the Sun would take her. Despite her ankle, she still has a great upside and is the best post in this draft. Or is she still a lottery pick?

UK1996

PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm Dallas, I'd still take Coates, she fits what they need way more than Jones does. I think the wait would pay off in the end. Coates mostly would be needed to come off the bench, Rebound and defend.

PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
If I'm Dallas, I'd still take Coates, she fits what they need way more than Jones does. I think the wait would pay off in the end. Coates mostly would be needed to come off the bench, Rebound and defend.

+1 ...Fred should hold his horses and wait for this one . Shes a keeper

PostPosted: 04/10/17 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It shouldn't affect her status. GMs likely knew about this long before the general public did, and this doesn't change what makes her the best center prospect in the class.

Also, if you're picking as high as Coates is being projected to go, you aren't drafting for immediate need anyway.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/10/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
It shouldn't affect her status. GMs likely knew about this long before the general public did, and this doesn't change what makes her the best center prospect in the class.

Also, if you're picking as high as Coates is being projected to go, you aren't drafting for immediate need anyway.

Then what are GM's drafting for ? Because from a wings fan standpoint , we "IMMEDIATELY NEED COATES" Laughing

PostPosted: 04/10/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

...unless you're Ruth Riley. Wink

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/10/17 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Then what are GM's drafting for ? Because from a wings fan standpoint , we "IMMEDIATELY NEED COATES" Laughing

I'm saying it's not a one-year fantasy league. They should be drafting for what she'll bring across multiple seasons.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/10/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been somewhat ambivalent about Coates. She's ok, but I don't think she is, or will be, great. Every time I saw her, it was like I was expecting to see more/better from her and she was, in spite of Debbie's hype, just a pretty good counterpoint to Aja's athleticism. Without Aja taking the heat, I'm not sure she would be all that highly rated. Like many other players in this draft, she will contribute, but not sure how much how soon. If she were a sure thing, her status wouldn't be affected by the injury (assuming it's not career ending) but IMO she's no more of a sure thing than many others...

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/10/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most mock drafts have Coates going to Dallas at 3 or 4. Dallas needs a mobile/defensive center and it seems that people think Coates fits that bill. The question then becomes if you are Dallas and you have the #3 and #4 pick does the injury affect your decision? Or more simply if you are Dallas, and you have two late lottery picks do you pass on Coates? If yes who do you pick instead?

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/10/17 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe if Coates slips to #6 the Mystics will select her

toad455

PostPosted: 04/10/17 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see her falling too far. Dallas definitely picks B. Jones now & either Davis or SWK.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/10/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Dallas likes Coates they are in the perfect position to take the risk and wait for her because they have two other first round picks.

If Dallas likes her they can take her 3 or 4 a still draft another post and a guard wing with their other two picks

you could get

Coates, B. Jones and A. Jones
Coates, B. Jones and A. Peterson
Coates, B. Jones and Epps
or
Coates, Davis and McCall
Coates, SWK and McCall
Coates, Gray (if Chicago shocks everyone) and McCall

In the second set you can replace McCall with Akhator, Osahor or Cooper if you prefer.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/11/17 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never been dazzled with Coates but then I looked at her stats.

She's an exceptional rebounder, getting one rebound every three minutes or so, and has improved her A/TO dramatically since her freshman year. She makes the shots she should take, and though obviously she won't be as efficient in the WNBA, it's not as if she's been playing in the Colonial Athletic League.

She's not a great free-throw shooter, but if she can adjust to the greater physicality of the league -- and the rumors of her negative effect on the locker room are unfounded -- then she should be a very high pick in this weak draft, regardless of the ankle injury.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta expect Bibby and Ready Freddie taking her at 3 or 4. But you never know about these two... Question

Angus24

PostPosted: 04/11/17 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems strange to me that there has been no description that I have seen of what sort of ankle injury she had and how major or minor surgery was required to fix it. Could be serious or just minor. Also no predictions about rehab process. Seems to me they are trying to keep everything under their hat in hopes of retaining her status as a high draft pick.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/11/17 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I've never been dazzled with Coates but then I looked at her stats.

She's an exceptional rebounder, getting one rebound every three minutes or so, and has improved her A/TO dramatically since her freshman year. She makes the shots she should take, and though obviously she won't be as efficient in the WNBA, it's not as if she's been playing in the Colonial Athletic League.

She's not a great free-throw shooter, but if she can adjust to the greater physicality of the league -- and the rumors of her negative effect on the locker room are unfounded -- then she should be a very high pick in this weak draft, regardless of the ankle injury.

I'm not awed by Coates, but I do think she is the best combination of talent, skills, and size in this draft. So if you need a post, she has to be at the top of the list.

I think Jones is actually more skilled, and plays harder, and I prefer her as a college player, but I still think she may be limited in the WNBA by her size. I think there may be a two inch difference between the two, and at the margin already, that matters. As a GM, I wouldn't really be looking to use a top 8 draft choice to pick up another Crystal Langhorne as my center for the future.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/17 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
As a GM, I wouldn't really be looking to use a top 8 draft choice to pick up another Crystal Langhorne as my center for the future.

I'd guess Jones is closer to Rebekkah Brunson than Langhorne.

I don't know why you wouldn't think a Langhorne type was worth a top eight pick in this draft when people are falling all over themselves claiming a slightly taller version of Quianna Chaney is a lottery pick.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Championship centers tend to be on the short side.
It's more about strength and savvy.
BJones is strong. So strong that it's hard to believe the Mystics would pass on her with their feeble front court.

2010: Weren't they using Little as their center? 6'1
2011: McWilliams-Franklin 6'2
2012: Larkins 6'1
2013: McCarville 6'2
2016: Some claim Ogwumike, but I lean towards Parker as C

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sigur3

PostPosted: 04/11/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

2016: Some claim Ogwumike, but I lean towards Parker as C

Because it fits your narrative better? Ogwumike played the 5 a lot more than Parker did...

Interesting assertion that lack of height in the frontcourt is actually better though!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/11/17 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Championship centers tend to be on the short side.
It's more about strength and savvy.

Centers are getting taller. And a 6'3" (on a good day) center is a liability. Unless you have Parker or Stewart or the like next to them who can play defense and rebound when necessary.

And Jones doesn't have remotely the ball skills, versatility, or mobility of Ogwumike. Not a good comparison at all if you're relying on that as an excuse to draft Jones.

You go ahead and draft her. As I said, as a GM, I wouldn't really be looking to use a top 8 draft choice to pick up another Crystal Langhorne as my center for the future. I'll look around for someone taller, thank you.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Centers are getting taller. And a 6'3" (on a good day) center is a liability. Unless you have Parker or Stewart or the like next to them who can play defense and rebound when necessary.

I was going to do an average height of centers over the league's history, but the Dydek factor throws the numbers off.

Most of the league (5/12) started centers under 6'5. In 2001, the ratio was about the same (6/16).

Still, I don't see Jones as a center. She's a PF in the mold of Brunson and Lyttle.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that taller is better given everything else is equal. But that doesn't always happen. A lot of tall players come and go without keeping jobs much less winning championships.
I just demonstrated that being tall isn't necessarily needed. In the Griner era maybe that will change.... although Parker & Fowles have only 1 championship each in 9 years. Griner has 1 in 4 years on a stacked team. Come to think of it, all these tall players won their championships on stacked teams. The 2011, 2012, and 2013 teams were less stacked. Maybe we need pilight to do some height analysis?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sigur3

PostPosted: 04/11/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Still, I don't see Jones as a center. She's a PF in the mold of Brunson and Lyttle.

Except that she can't move her feet nearly as well as either of those players and had no semblance of a midrange jumper.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/17 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Except that she can't move her feet nearly as well as either of those players and had no semblance of a midrange jumper.

Neither of them had a midrange jumper coming out either. In 2006, from beyond five feet Brunson was 28% and Lyttle was 29%.

As for footwork, Jones looks fine for a rookie. Of course she doesn't have the moves now that 12+ year veterans have.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: