RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBL (Australia) 2017/18 Season

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc

PostPosted: 03/08/17 7:19 pm    ::: WNBL (Australia) 2017/18 Season Reply Reply with quote

WNBL Roster Tracker:
http://www.hoopshots.com.au/2017-wnbl-offseason-tracker/

-----

Starting this thread a little early, because it has just been announced that Jenna O'Hea has signed with the Melbourne Boomers for 2 seasons.

Olympian Jenna O’Hea returns to WNBL to help Melbourne Boomers win a championship

Australian star Jenna O'Hea heading home to Melbourne Boomers for next two WNBL seasons

PostPosted: 04/20/17 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jarry signs with Canberra

Quote:
She has her sights set on competing at a third Olympics in 2020 and Australian Opals star Rachel Jarry says the University of Canberra Capitals is the club to kick-start her journey to Tokyo.
Jarry was today unveiled as the UC Capitals’ first signing for the 2017/18 WNBL season.

http://wnbl.com.au/jarry-kick-starts-journey-tokyo-caps-signing/

PostPosted: 04/25/17 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice news for the ~ 20% of Australians who have a Foxtel subscription

Fox Sports and Basketball Australia enter new partnership to broadcast WNBL
Quote:
FOX Sports and Basketball Australia have entered a three-year partnership that will put the Women’s National Basketball League (WNBL) back on national television.
The deal will come to fruition in time for the 2017-18 season, and will see Fox Sports broadcast a minimum of one game per week, as well as every Finals game, through to the 2019-20 season.
The new-look competition will run over 16 weeks, from October to January, which includes the best-of-three semi-finals and Grand Final series.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/fox-sports-and-basketball-australia-enter-new-partnership-to-broadcast-wnbl/news-story/0f03f614df668a9986f400a2efea40b2

PostPosted: 04/25/17 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you think Ruth will be back with Perth next year?

PostPosted: 04/25/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do some teams like Dandenong and Bendigo have zero or close to zero players signed? Does everyone play on one season contracts?

Is it a wide open market to create a team from scratch with no restrictions each year for most of the league?

Is there any presumption that players will return to their previous year's team?

Luuuc

PostPosted: 04/25/17 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Do you think Ruth will be back with Perth next year?

Just the other day she said she was into the idea of returning down under, but I'm not so sure it would be for Perth. If I was our GM I'd be hesitant after our recent playoff series, plus I get the feeling that her adventurous off-court side would probably like to tackle the east coast next. I hope she returns, as I think it was good for her game to play down here. She improved noticeably across just one season.

ArtBest23 wrote:
Why do some teams like Dandenong and Bendigo have zero or close to zero players signed? Does everyone play on one season contracts?

It's a good question, and true for most teams. Yes, most contracts are single-season, but it is strange to me as well that even in those cases re-signings aren't occurring quickly once a season is over - especially for the bench players, whose salaries are fairly minimal.

Historically I know that finances have been at the core of it. Most teams rely heavily on corporate sponsorship to fund their playing rosters, and I'm guessing that the weeks/months following a season are typically spent chasing sponsors for the next season, and only once that is somewhat settled can teams know what they can spend. (This is a league that has yet to implement a salary cap because it usually operates at the other end of the wealth scale.)
I could imagine that with this TV deal known to be in the works, clubs may have been extra-slow this season to get players signed because being on TV (even if only pay tv) adds value for sponsors, so the clubs now have some extra leverage to negotiate better deals. Even the very modest proposed new minimum wage of $7,500 per player would have an impact in some teams' budgets as well.

PostPosted: 04/26/17 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DJ Lizzy C signs with Melbourne

---

Melbourne Boomers sign basketball superstar Liz Cambage

---

Quote:
Liz Cambage contemplated retirement after the Rio Olympics
"I think my love for the sport definitely disappeared a couple of years ago," Cambage said. "I know having a year off is what I needed to try and find that love again. Working with girls that just have a group mentality and share the same goals together (was attractive)."
She’ll head over to the States to visit WNBA side Dallas Wings soon, the club that has her rights and Aussie AFLW revelation Erin Phillips, and she does want to play in America again.
"I think I should give it another crack," she said.
"Tulsa was a bit rough … it wasn’t the best of times but I would like to play in the WNBA again."

Opals star Liz Cambage to make WNBL return, signs with Melbourne Boomers

PostPosted: 04/27/17 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage and O'Hea with the Boomers. I like it

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc

PostPosted: 05/08/17 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Significant WNBL signings in the past couple of weeks:

* Aimee Clydesdale -> Adelaide Lightning (previously with Dandenong)
* Natalie Novosel -> Adelaide Lightning (previously with Dandenong)
* Abby Bishop -> Adelaide Lightning (previously in France)
* Nicole Seekamp -> Adelaide Lightning (previously in Poland)

* Lauren Scherf -> Canberra Capitals (previously with Dandenong)

* Kayla Pedersen -> Dandenong Rangers (previously in Italy)
* Carley Mijovic -> Dandenong Rangers (previously with Perth) Sad

* Louella Tomlinson -> Melbourne Boomers (previously in Hungary)

* Jennifer Hamson re-signs with the Sydney Uni Flames

* Cayla George -> Townsville Fire (previously in Hungary)

Complete transactions summary is at the Hoopshots WNBL Tracker

PostPosted: 05/16/17 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

* Ruth Hamblin -> Adelaide Lightning (previously with Perth)

* Tessa Lavey -> Dandenong Rangers (previously with Perth)

* Alice Kunek (a.k.a. Kanye West) -> Perth Lynx (previously with Melbourne)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: