RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Amanda Butler out at Florida
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt5762

PostPosted: 03/06/17 4:29 pm    ::: Amanda Butler out at Florida Reply Reply with quote

http://floridagators.com/news/2017/3/6/florida-womens-basketball-program-will-have-new-coach-in-2017-18.aspx

Sad for Amanda, but she got more than enough time and ultimately there wasn't much progress to speak of. I'm excited for a fresh start.

Let's see if new UF AD Stricklin can repeat the magic from his last hire (Schaefer at MSU).

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/06/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't UF just complete some major renovations to their basketball arena? Upgraded arena, new AD, guess it just felt like time for a new coach.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 03/06/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On her birthday.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/06/17 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her handling of Christinaki was like a fumble on the one-yard line.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/06/17 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I don't know if that was so damning but I don't know the details. How she handled the Moss situation a few years back was assholeish.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/06/17 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I disagree. I think Christinaki was the one who acted like a purenteed diva. The other girl took her suspension, dealt with it, and life went on.

PostPosted: 03/06/17 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't really know her, but....I always liked her (apparent) toughness. Wasn't Muriel Page her assistant? I have a feeling Amanda will land on her feet, and nicely, too.

PostPosted: 03/06/17 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I think we would need to know more details to make that assessment.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/06/17 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of good options already in Florida. Jose Fernandez, Katie Abrahamson-Henderson, Karl Smesko.

I wonder if Katie Meier would consider a move.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 03/06/17 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

And it wasn't her first. She may have been in the right in how she handled the situation, but she has had roster issues several times based on how she has dealt with individual players. Its hard to recover from that.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 03/06/17 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
A lot of good options already in Florida. Jose Fernandez, Katie Abrahamson-Henderson, Karl Smesko.

I wonder if Katie Meier would consider a move.

She would be a great hire, and although I understand that UF can afford the price tag, it would be very costly. She has a great relationship with the administration at Miami and a long term lucrative contract. That being said, she would be an incredibly good choice if she is interested.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 03/07/17 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This job will be another SEC coach. Its basically done.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/07/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

Nah. Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure if it were Auburn it wouldn't be at all...or at least they would offer it to the one that got away last time.

But we'll see. You're always such a pessimist.

PostPosted: 03/07/17 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

Is it normal for coaches to jump within the SEC? Seems like it would create a lot of bad blood.

(now with spelling variations)
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/07/17 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some assistants do. But Matt Insell came from MTSU, which is in the OVC, and Matthew Mitchell came from Morehead State, also in the OVC; Nikki Fargas came from the Pac-12 although she originated from the SEC. Lil may be looking at those who rise from the ranks of assistant.

I wonder if Tasha Butts has it in her to be a HC? Or someone like Amber Smith?

Last edited by summertime blues on 03/07/17 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/07/17 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of this does make one wonder what would have happened if they had landed one of the big names they were reported to be going after when they hired Butler. Back then, Florida was at the height of its revenue sports glory. It seems like they are good in almost every single sport they compete in, but they have very few national championship favorite level programs.
Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 03/07/17 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
All of this does make one wonder what would have happened if they had landed one of the big names they were reported to be going after when they hired Butler. Back then, Florida was at the height of its revenue sports glory. It seems like they are good in almost every single sport they compete in, but they have very few national championship favorite level programs.

Florida would have been a power house.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 03/07/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Some assistants do. But Matt Insell came from MTSU, which is in the OVC, and Matthew Mitchell came from Morehead State, also in the OVC; Nikki Fargas came from the Pac-12 although she originated from the SEC. Lil may be looking at those who rise from the ranks of assistant.

No I am not looking at assistants. You remember my post. You will learn to listen.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/07/17 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

No I am not looking at assistants. You remember my post. You will learn to listen.

Really? I might have been around the SEC at least as long as you. Maybe longer. Please don't give yourself airs.

PostPosted: 03/08/17 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Really? I might have been around the SEC at least as long as you. Maybe longer. Please don't give yourself airs.

First of all MTSU is in C-USA and Matt Insell was at LA Tech as DOBO then at UK as an asst. He was never at MTSU with his pops.

Second Lillian is referring to Vic Schaefer. The current AD at Florida is who hired him at Miss St. We've discussed this on the last 2 episodes of Tee'd up. It's as good as a done deal. I've heard from probably 5-10 different sources. The archives of Tee'd Up are on InsiderExposure dot com.

Some good possible assistants for Vic -
Fitzroy Anthony (Miami)
Darnell Haney (JU)
Daniel Barber (Stetson)
Brittany Young (Stetson)
Brittany Hudson (Ole Miss)
David Saur (LA-Monroe)
Maybe keep Bill Ferrara or Muriel Page

Any other possibilities?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/08/17 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PiperB wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

First of all MTSU is in C-USA and Matt Insell was at LA Tech as DOBO then at UK as an asst. He was never at MTSU with his pops.

Second Lillian is referring to Vic Schaefer. The current AD at Florida is who hired him at Miss St. We've discussed this on the last 2 episodes of Tee'd up. It's as good as a done deal. I've heard from probably 5-10 different sources. The archives of Tee'd Up are on InsiderExposure dot com.

Some good possible assistants for Vic -
Fitzroy Anthony (Miami)
Darnell Haney (JU)
Daniel Barber (Stetson)
Brittany Young (Stetson)
Brittany Hudson (Ole Miss)
David Saur (LA-Monroe)
Maybe keep Bill Ferrara or Muriel Page

Any other possibilities?

Well, if you're going to stick with Florida, what about Shimmy Gray-Miller? And my bad on Matt Insell, lord knows he grew up around MTSU I guess his dad has been there since Bowser was a pup.

PostPosted: 03/08/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

REALLY!?? Vic would LEAVE what he just built at MS-State, even before the mortar is dry? I mean, good connections to an AD, maybe a truckload of $$$ thrown at ya, even.....is THAT a bigger draw than what he's created in MS? That is not something easily replicated. And he'd be the FIRST to tell ya.

What would be his strongest motives??

PostPosted: 03/08/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
REALLY!?? Vic would LEAVE what he just built at MS-State, even before the mortar is dry? I mean, good connections to an AD, maybe a truckload of $$$ thrown at ya, even.....is THAT a bigger draw than what he's created in MS? That is not something easily replicated. And he'd be the FIRST to tell ya.

I rather think not, unless he values money over what he's built.

PostPosted: 03/08/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Probably that he knows he's likely hit his ceiling at Miss St, and could have a far superior platform on which to build something really special at Florida.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/08/17 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:

Probably that he knows he's likely hit his ceiling at Miss St, and could have a far superior platform on which to build something really special at Florida.

I dunno....with the season he's had--never mind what lies ahead in the next few weeks--I'd think his recruiting ceiling is way lofty; I get that Florida can offer "more", in the way of resources, rep, etc., but still....I think Gail Goestenkoers may want to advise him. (I know, I know....Duke -> TX isn't exactly the same as MS-State -> Florida, but still....success in one place isn't a guarantee of success in the next. And Vic is no spring chicken!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: