RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Disrespect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/08/17 10:35 am    ::: The Disrespect Reply Reply with quote

South Dakota State has a 37 RPI after their conference tourney loss, they were as high as 30 last week. Yet they never were in consideration on any bracket predictions for an at-large berth. The A-10 has a worse conference RPI but yet two teams are predicted to come out of there! The Summit as a whole was better with even ORU beating ranked Oklahoma this year. So why is SDSU not in the discussion? Yeah they lost Macy Miller to an ACL tear but they still won without her! They have teams in the low 40s predicted to make the NCAAs and they saw how two Summit teams went 7-1 in postseason last year (USD wnit champs, SDSU a basket away from Sweet Sixteen), yet still no love.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 03/08/17 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The teams haven't even been picked yet. Isn't it a little early to gripe about a tourney snub?

Phil

PostPosted: 03/08/17 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt there is a reader of these boards who is unaware of the deficiencies in the RPI so I won't dwell on repeating those points.

A far better measure of the strength of a team is the Massey rating, and unfortunately for you, the Massey ranking is 54.

That's way outside bubble territory. Weaker than Auburn who isn't being considered for a spot and virtually identical to Penn State and Dayton neither of home are in the conversation.

Sorry

I know South Dakota State has had some good teams in the past and I've enjoyed watching them but this year isn't one of those years.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/08/17 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
The teams haven't even been picked yet. Isn't it a little early to gripe about a tourney snub?

Well, last year was a similar story...and no predictions have SDSU in the field or even in the consideration..and with the circus of a committee, it'd cause a snow storm if they actually used their brains for once

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/08/17 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I doubt there is a reader of these boards who is unaware of the deficiencies in the RPI so I won't dwell on repeating those points.

A far better measure of the strength of a team is the Massey rating, and unfortunately for you, the Massey ranking is 54.

That's way outside bubble territory. Weaker than Auburn who isn't being considered for a spot and virtually identical to Penn State and Dayton neither of home are in the conversation.

Sorry

I know South Dakota State has had some good teams in the past and I've enjoyed watching them but this year isn't one of those years.

Oh please! Massey ranking my foot. I never saw them mention that on any of the men's or women's shows even last year. Is this a new thing?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/08/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have they run out of valium in South Dakota? Good grief...

Phil

PostPosted: 03/08/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand your response.

On the one had you say "Massey ranking my foot." which suggests you are dismissing it out of hand, but then you say "Is this a new thing?" which suggests you aren't familiar with it.

Did I miss something, or are you actually dismissing something without knowing what it is?

It isn't new - it has been around for years, and is one of the best metrics for measuring team strength. You won't hear it mentioned on the selection committee shows, because they've made this irrational decision to ignore MOV and it includes MOV. I'll bet the committee members are aware of it, but that isn't even relevant. The only question is whether it is a better predictor of inclusion than the RPI, and I'll bet money it is.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/08/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Well, last year was a similar story...and no predictions have SDSU in the field or even in the consideration..and with the circus of a committee, it'd cause a snow storm if they actually used their brains for once

Last year, Massey had SDSU ranked 27th, so I would have expected an at-large, but as you know, they qualified as an automatic.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/08/17 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And yet, I see no impressive wins on SDSU's schedule.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/08/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
And yet, I see no impressive wins on SDSU's schedule.

It's probably because South Dakota St's most significant win was vs. Creighton before Macy Miller's season-ending injury, so they get less credit for that win since it was with a player no longer playing for them.

But there's zero chance George Washington is making the field—Creme is just crazy for one team for reasons unknown like most years. I'd put South Dakota St (and other teams like UNI and IUPUI, James Madison) ahead of them. I think the last spot is going to Cal, Auburn or UNI (they beat Creighton & Kansas St non-conference) though.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/08/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see that Massey ratings have anything to do with the selections, or that they're a particularly good predictor.

But the committees - men's and women's - repeat year after year that they look for good wins. That showing you can beat top tournament teams is really important to them. The chair specifically cited that again for why they had NCSt in one of this year's "reveals". UVA might make it largely because of their win over FSU.

That said, I've said before that I don't understand Creme's fascination with GWU this year (and I'm even a GWU fan). I'll be surprised if they're in the field. And SDSt even beat GWU this year. But I would not be surprised to see Auburn with its wins over Drake and Tenn to get in before SDSt. SDSt just doesn't have an impressive win.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/08/17 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDSU suffers from being a mid-major in flyover country. Sad, but true. If they were in a P5 conference, it would be different. Suppose they were to replace Nebraska in the B1G, for instance.....never happen, but just as a f'instance...... Of course Nebraska is a bigger school in a bigger city with a BFD football tradition, so there you have it.

PostPosted: 03/08/17 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is why it's worth taking Massey seriously – let's examine some of last year's tournament upsets:

7 seed Washington defeated 2 Maryland. Sounds like a significant upset but Massey had Washington rated as the 10th best team and Maryland as the eighth best team so a tiny edge to Maryland but practically a push, so not the surprising upset the seeds would suggest.

Then 7 seed Washington beat 3 seed Kentucky, but Massey had Kentucky as the 16th best teams of this wasn't even upset per Massey.

Then 7 seed Washington beat 4 seed Stanford, but Massey had Stanford as the ninth best team so again this was almost a push per Massey not an upset.

7 see Tennessee "upset " 2 seed Arizona State, but Massey rated Tennessee as 19th best and Arizona's 13th best. While this still qualifies as an upset, if they had been seated according to Massey would be talking about a five seed versus a three seed, not much of an upset.

Tennessee went on to "upset" Ohio State, but Massey had Ohio State rated as 17th, so almost identical to Tennessee. Not much of an upset.

4 seed Syracuse "upset" one seed South Carolina, but Massey had South Carolina is the fifth best team so deserving of the two seed rather than a one and Syracuse as the seventh best team so a 2 seed rather than a four. That makes it an exceedingly minor upset.

2 seed Oregon State "upset" the 1 seed Baylor, but Massey had Baylor and Oregon State is the second and third best teams, with almost identical strength rating so this was practically a tossup.

I'm not sure I've covered all of the "upsets" but in each of the ones of identified, knowing the Massey rating you would be either predicting the "upset" or not surprised at all by a very minor upset.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/08/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Here is why it's worth taking Massey seriously – let's examine some of last year's tournament upsets:

7 seed Washington defeated 2 Maryland. Sounds like a significant upset but Massey had Washington rated as the 10th best team and Maryland as the eighth best team so a tiny edge to Maryland but practically a push, so not the surprising upset the seeds would suggest.

Then 7 seed Washington beat 3 seed Kentucky, but Massey had Kentucky as the 16th best teams of this wasn't even upset per Massey.

Then 7 seed Washington beat 4 seed Stanford, but Massey had Stanford as the ninth best team so again this was almost a push per Massey not an upset.

7 see Tennessee "upset " 2 seed Arizona State, but Massey rated Tennessee as 19th best and Arizona's 13th best. While this still qualifies as an upset, if they had been seated according to Massey would be talking about a five seed versus a three seed, not much of an upset.

Tennessee went on to "upset" Ohio State, but Massey had Ohio State rated as 17th, so almost identical to Tennessee. Not much of an upset.

4 seed Syracuse "upset" one seed South Carolina, but Massey had South Carolina is the fifth best team so deserving of the two seed rather than a one and Syracuse as the seventh best team so a 2 seed rather than a four. That makes it an exceedingly minor upset.

2 seed Oregon State "upset" the 1 seed Baylor, but Massey had Baylor and Oregon State is the second and third best teams, with almost identical strength rating so this was practically a tossup.

I'm not sure I've covered all of the "upsets" but in each of the ones of identified, knowing the Massey rating you would be either predicting the "upset" or not surprised at all by a very minor upset.

I understand your argument, Phil, but the ranking that you're using for Washington (7th) was not their ranking when the tournament committee was creating the bracket. Washington only earned that lofty Massey ranking AFTER going on the run that you just described. So those were still upsets, even according to Massey. Any decent ranking should be able to predict winners well AFTER the season, which is what your analysis illustrated.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/08/17 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the way, I am an advocate of Massey!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: