RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

All ACC Team (per Blue Ribbon Panel) is ......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/28/17 4:15 pm    ::: All ACC Team (per Blue Ribbon Panel) is ...... Reply Reply with quote

2016-17 All-ACC Team as selected by the Blue Ribbon Panel

First Team

Lexie Brown, Jr., G, Duke
Rebecca Greenwell, R-Jr., G, Duke
Leticia Romero, Sr., G, Florida State
Shakayla Thomas, Jr., F, Florida State
Asia Durr, So., G, Louisville
Myisha Hines-Allen, Jr., F, Louisville
Lindsay Allen, Sr., G, Notre Dame
Brianna Turner, Jr., F, Notre Dame
Alexis Peterson, Sr., G, Syracuse
Brittney Sykes, R-Sr., G, Syracuse

Second Team

Mariya Moore, Jr., F, Louisville
Adrienne Motley, Sr., G, Miami
Jessica Thomas, Sr., G, Miami
Miah Spencer, Sr., G, NC State
Dominique Wilson, Sr., G, NC State

All-ACC Freshman Team
Kobi Thornton, Fr., P, Clemson
Leaonna Odom, Fr., F, Duke
Francesca Pan, Fr., G, Georgia Tech
Jackie Young, Fr., G, Notre Dame
Gabby Cooper, Fr., G, Syracuse
Dominique Toussaint Fr., G, Virginia
Jocelyn Willoughby, Fr., G, Virginia
Alex Sharp, Fr., G, Wake Forest

The ACC will announce its Player, Freshman and Coach of the Year as selected by the Blue Ribbon Panel on Wednesday (March 1). The ACC coaches Defensive and Sixth Player of Year will also be announced on Wednesday.

Assuming they do it as they usually do, next week there will be a separate set announced of "of the year" awards, and All ACC, All Freshmen, and All Defensive teams as voted by the ACC coaches.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/28/17 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My take, because I can:

First Team: Brown - Durr - Peterson - Thomas - Turner

Second Team: Allen - Greenwell - Hines-Allen - Romero - Spencer

HM: Brown - Day - Hicks - Mabrey - Moore - Motley - Ogunbowale - Sykes - Thomas - Wilson

*Sykes got bumped in favor of Spencer, who is NC State's automatic selection based on their top 5 finish.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/28/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brown and Greenwell become the 19th and 20th Blue Devils in school history to receive All-ACC first team distinction.

Odom is the 21st Blue Devil in school history to earn All-ACC Freshman team recognition.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/28/17 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Brown and Greenwell become the 19th and 20th Blue Devils in school history to receive All-ACC first team distinction.

Odom is the 21st Blue Devil in school history to earn All-ACC Freshman team recognition.

Odom played really well this year. Very impressed. Basically made Stevens's departure irrelevant. Indeed, notwithstanding Doris Burke's blathering recently about how Stevens would be national POY next year, i find it interesting that Duke is, in many respects, a much better team this year without her. Part of that can be attributed to Brown's addition, but not even close to all of it.

Duke gets shorter next year without Chidom and Cooper, but they should be pretty good. Is anyone who is graduating with eligibility left likely to leave or will Brown and Greenwell especially be back?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/28/17 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Odom played really well this year. Very impressed. Basically made Stevens's departure irrelevant. Indeed, notwithstanding Doris Burke's blathering recently about how Stevens would be national POY next year, i find it interesting that Duke is, in many respects, a much better team this year without her. Part of that can be attributed to Brown's addition, but not even close to all of it.

Actually, Brown's presence is a really, really big part of it and has impacted many other areas. Not all of it, but closer than you give her credit.

-- Lexie Brown has made 99 free throws this year. 10th place on the Duke single-season record list is 119 made free throws.

-- The single season free throw percentage record is .931 by Tricia Liston (2012-13). Lexie Brown is at .925.

-- Lexie Brown is approaching 200 made field goals and has over 100 assists. Only three other Duke players have accomplished this feat: Jasmine Thomas, Alana Beard (three times), and Monique Currie.

- Jasmine Thomas (2009-2010)
- Alana Beard (2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004)
- Monique Currie (2004-2005)

-- Only Tricia Liston has made at least 62 three point baskets while shooting at least 40 percent from three in a season. Duke has two players - Rebecca Greenwell (74 made threes, 40.1 percent and Lexie Brown (63 made threes, 40.1 percent) who are accomplishing the feat this season.

-- Lexie Brown is on pace to average 50-40-90 while scoring 15 points per game, which would make her the first player in Duke history to accomplish that feat.

-- As of February 17, Lexie Brown is responsible for 40.79 percent of Duke's offense in ACC conference games. Of Duke's 353 made baskets in 14 ACC games, Brown has had a hand in 144 of those, with made 90 made baskets and 54 assists. Of Duke's 67 made threes in ACC contests, Brown has made 31 of those (46.29 percent). When the offense got bogged down in ACC contests and when Greenwell was shut down or not shooting well, Brown took over and was able to lead Duke to a number of wins.

Brown's presence has also taken Greenwell away from being a secondary ballhandler (or even primary at times, in years past). Brown and Lambert shall PG/ballhandling/playmaking duties, freeing up Greenwell to hunt for her own shot and focus more on scoring, while thinking of passing as a secondary option. And Greenwell has really used her size to become a very good perimeter rebounder.

Steven's absence definitely hurt, but several Duke losses last year took place when Stevens was injured - she missed 7 ACC games, and Duke went 2-5 in those contests.

Part of the reason Stevens' absence does not hurt nearly as much is because of the balance of scoring and playmaking that Brown brings to the team. And with Brown as a playmaker, turnovers are down significantly from recent years.

A few other reasons for Duke's success this year:

- Duke now has a full-time strength & conditioning coach who only focuses on women's basketball (Ashleigh Beaver). She has had a huge impact on the team's overall level of fitness going into the season, and it may well have had an impact on reducing injuries.

- Injuries. Only Haley Gorecki and freshman Emily Schubert have missed time with injuries...and Haley missed most of last year with injuries and redshirted. Gorecki would be receiving bench minutes on the wing, but Duke is fine there with Primm and Suggs. Schubert was never going to see any playing time except in blowouts.

- Kendall Cooper returned from her suspension last year, adding post depth.

- Home vs. Road Schedule. South Carolina, Kentucky, Syracuse, Louisville, Miami, Virginia Tech (ranked when Duke played them) were all games at home.

ArtBest23 wrote:
Duke gets shorter next year without Chidom and Cooper, but they should be pretty good. Is anyone who is graduating with eligibility left likely to leave or will Brown and Greenwell especially be back?

Brown and Greenwell are likely to return to complete MBAs. Not a guarantee, but likely.

Jade Williams is an elite post recruit and an All-American, but she will still be a freshman. Still, if she can step in and at least provide 8 and 6, Duke will be very good.

The issue will be replacing the post depth. Mathias has been a much improved player as a third post, but can she step up and be the primary backup or even be a solid starter? She made great strides this year, but it is a question as to whether she reached her ceiling.

Sophia Roma, the Wagner transfer, is a rebounding machine...or she was at Wagner. But she provided relatively little offense. Curious to see what she can do against ACC level opponents.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 02/28/17 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like Brown should be the ACC POY
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/28/17 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what is the BRP?

PostPosted: 02/28/17 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
what is the BRP?

It's mostly media members. I think there some SIDs on it as well, but mostly media. I think the number varies. There were 44 voters in the preseason Blue Ribbon polls.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 02/28/17 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/28/17 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke will be even more post
By committee than this year. Mathias is most experienced and next year is s her year to shine but Jade Williams is probably the best all around player. The transfer Roma, and Jr. Belton, as well as frosh Treece also should factor in.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/28/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm interested to see how Roma competes on the ACC level- she struck me as someone who put up enormous rebounding numbers in the NEC based solely on her size. (Granted, this is on a one-game sample size.)

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/01/17 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2016-17 Blue Ribbon Panel Honorees

ACC Player of the Year: Alexis Peterson, Sr., G, Syracuse
ACC Freshman of the Year: Francesca Pan, Fr., G, Georgia Tech
ACC Coach of the Year: Wes Moore, NC State

2016-17 ACC Coaches’ Honorees

Defensive Player of the Year: Brianna Turner, Jr., F, Notre Dame
Sixth Player of the Year: Chatrice White, Jr., C, Florida State

PostPosted: 03/02/17 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

REALLY? Shocked I mean, I love the kid, but .... POY?

PostPosted: 03/02/17 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

She was really good for the whole year. Who were you thinking? Turner started pretty slow but has been really good of late, but I think it's cool that Peterson gets rewarded. Her assists and steals have been awesome and her shooting ok. So who else deserved it more?

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/02/17 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really glad Wes Moore got COY.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

She was really good for the whole year. Who were you thinking? Turner started pretty slow but has been really good of late, but I think it's cool that Peterson gets rewarded. Her assists and steals have been awesome and her shooting ok. So who else deserved it more?

I'd say, in order, Brianna Turner, Shakayla Thomas and Lexie Brown.

A couple reasons. First, I find Peterson to be too inconsistant and with questionable judgment at times. Best example, she had a great game in a win over NCST scoring 45 pts on only 23 shots ( and 19 free throws), and then shot her team right out of the very next game - an upset loss to GaTech - by throwing up a whopping 37 shots while making only 10 of them (2 for 16 from the arc). She didn't involve her teammates, she just kept firing away.

Second, winning matters. If she's the best player in the league leading a FF team returning its key pieces, they shouldn't have lost nine games. Turner led her team to the regular season title, and Brown turned around Duke. This is also why Hines-Allen isn't on this list for me.

I'll just add that when ND beat Syracuse at the Carrier Dome in front of a Syracuse record crowd two weeks ago, Turner was by far the best and most dominant player in the game.

I'll be interested to see if the ACC coaches ignore the media choice when they pick their POY, as they did last year.

As an aside, I notice that Turner - not Peterson, not Thomas, not Brown, not Hines Allen - is the only ACC player on the Naismith Award semifinalist list.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Turner, IMO is the only one close. Yes, Brown was very important to her team and in my overall statistical analysis is very close to Peterson...but Peterson's really impressive assist and steals number win IMO. Thomas, just no way!

Turner was expected to be POY (by those of us who didn't buy into the Hines-Allen hype) at the beginning of the year, but she really underperformed, practically disappeared in some of those games early in the season (especially disappointing since she was supposed to be the bedrock of my fantasy team) Very Happy So I think if you look at what she's done recently (after I dumped her off my fantasy team) she's probably the POY of the second half of the season. Which I guess means ND fans should thank me for inspiring her to better play Wink

Anyway, I'm just saying that if you go with inconsistency as a reason to not have Peterson, Turner was also not the model of consistency this year.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Turner, IMO is the only one close. Yes, Brown was very important to her team and in my overall statistical analysis is very close to Peterson...but Peterson's really impressive assist and steals number win IMO. Thomas, just no way!

Turner was expected to be POY (by those of us who didn't buy into the Hines-Allen hype) at the beginning of the year, but she really underperformed, practically disappeared in some of those games early in the season (especially disappointing since she was supposed to be the bedrock of my fantasy team) Very Happy So I think if you look at what she's done recently (after I dumped her off my fantasy team) she's probably the POY of the second half of the season. Which I guess means ND fans should thank me for inspiring her to better play Wink

Anyway, I'm just saying that if you go with inconsistency as a reason to not have Peterson, Turner was also not the model of consistency this year.

You may recall that Turner had shoulder surgery at the end of the school year last spring and wasn't cleared to practice until a couple weeks before the season started. By the time the ACC schedule began though, she has been the best player in the league. She's not as flashy as her competitors, that's all.

BTW, Turner also won her second straight Defensive POY award, voted by the ACC coaches. She dominates at both ends of the floor. Something else that puts her ahead of the others.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand that. So if it were a half year award, I could go with Turner. In fact I wouldn't have had a problem if they went with Turner. [period] But I think it's great to spread the wealth, and am happy for Peterson to get it....and think she deserved it.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re Brown, anyone ever find out the real reason she chose to leave Maryland?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

winning matters.

Ahah, a Rob Clough disciple.
CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/03/17 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

His team knocked off ND, FSU, Duke, and Louisville. That's #1, #2, #3, and #5 in the conference by Tournament seeding (NC St. was #4). I think he earned it.

BTW, I was shocked to read this on the NC State site:

Wednesday's announcement marks the first time in the 34-year history of the official ACC Coach of the Year award that the honor has been claimed by NC State.

Kay Yow never won it? Wow.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/03/17 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

His team knocked off ND, FSU, Duke, and Louisville. That's #1, #2, #3, and #5 in the conference by Tournament seeding (NC St. was #4). I think he earned it.

BTW, I was shocked to read this on the NC State site:

Wednesday's announcement marks the first time in the 34-year history of the official ACC Coach of the Year award that the honor has been claimed by NC State.

Kay Yow never won it? Wow.

SERIOUSLY? I cannot believe that.

One of the reasons I'm happy for Wes is that he represents the coaches that made the successful jump from mid-major (Chattanooga) to major. i'm hoping the same for Kenny Brooks, who really had a tough first year but who I think has the stuff.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should UNC's Paris Kea have made the All ACC team? She was the conference's' fourth leading scorer, but she played on one of the worst teams in the conference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: