RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Which team will outperform expectations the most in 2017?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team will outperform expectations the most in 2017?
Dream
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Fever
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Liberty
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Lynx
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Mercury
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mystics
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Sky
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Sparks
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Stars
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Storm
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Sun
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Wings
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 51

Author Message
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 4798



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:17 pm    ::: Which team will outperform expectations the most in 2017? Reply Reply with quote

...


zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas.......the Wings will win 18-22 games.

Atlanta and chicago will also perform better than expected.




Last edited by zune69 on 03/02/17 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 53895
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for the Dream because I am an impossible homer



_________________
I'm not afraid of anyone. I'm not shy about anything. Not even my big nose.
sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 5329
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Dallas.......the Wings will win 18-22 games.


Shocked

Explain.



_________________
chicago sky tankwagon 2017
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 2591
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Dallas.......the Wings will win 18-22 games.


Shocked

Explain.


18-22 is -4; that sounds about right. Smile


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19092
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Dallas.......the Wings will win 18-22 games.


Shocked

Explain.

Maybe he has huge faith in Taj McWilliams-Franklin's ability to sort out the defense.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3096
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Dallas.......the Wings will win 18-22 games.


Shocked

Explain.

Maybe he has huge faith in Taj McWilliams-Franklin's ability to sort out the defense.


Maybe he has faith in a healthy 100 % skylar diggins. My team will prove you guys wrong although i voted for seattle Laughing



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Dallas.......the Wings will win 18-22 games.


Shocked

Explain.



*Trading Sims was addition by subtraction.Sims was a undersized sg who provided very little resistance on defense,and barely contributed to the rebounding(2.5rpg).Sims Per.was only 12.4(7th best on Dallas).Powers Per.last season was 16.6(2nd best).Assuming Powers is the starting sg and healthy,the defense,rebounding and offensive efficiency will automatically improve.

*Glory is a better rebounder & defender than Pierson.She's also a 2-time all-star.Glory had a 9 games stretch last season were she averaged 14.5p/11.5r,and won back her starting job.Glory would've had back to back 20p/20r games had she not gone down versus the Dream.Pierson signing with minnesota was addition by subtraction.

*A healthy Skylar Diggins is a top 10 player.

*Dallas/Tulsa started 8-1 in 2015 without G.Johnson,and with Sims missing 6 of 9 games during that stretch.Tulsa went 6-0 without Sims.If Diggins doesn't go down with a knee injury,the shock win 20+ games.

*Dallas will add depth with 2 draft picks or a trade.

*Games missed the last 2 seasons: G.Johnson(52),S.Diggins(32)


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14054
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry but i have to disagree on a couple points. I dont know which Glory Johnson you have been watching but she is not a good defender and even at stage in their careers Pierson is still a better defender then Glory.
Glory has a lot of potential though but it hasnt come out on defense at ALL.

Even when Diggins was healthy her defense was below average. Now after the injury its worse. Combine that with a bad defensive coach and i dont expect that too improve a lot this season



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Sorry but i have to disagree on a couple points. I dont know which Glory Johnson you have been watching but she is not a good defender and even at stage in their careers Pierson is still a better defender then Glory.
Glory has a lot of potential though but it hasnt come out on defense at ALL.

Even when Diggins was healthy her defense was below average. Now after the injury its worse. Combine that with a bad defensive coach and i dont expect that too improve a lot this season


You're a seattle fan.I expect you to downplay a healthy wings team.

BTW...in 2015 Diggins missed 25 games,Johnson missed 34 games,Dallas still finished above .500 with a 18-16 record.Seattle last season had 3 all wnba players,no injuries,and finished below .500.

In 2017....Dallas > Seattle.


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17230



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could someone kindly lay out what the expectations are for each team at his point, because without that basis it's impossible to say who I think will exceed them.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Mysticsfan12



Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 401



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I voted for the Dream because I am an impossible homer

X2



_________________
Welcome to DC.
zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 405
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do think Dallas will be much better without Sims jacking up and missing a ton of shots. Now if they just get rid of the other one that does the same thing they'll be good.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 13408



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Either Seattle or Chicago. Both seem like sleeper teams this season.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19923



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted SAS just because I think expectations are bottom of the barrel, so ANYTHING they do beats expectations.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 3799



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Could someone kindly lay out what the expectations are for each team at his point, because without that basis it's impossible to say who I think will exceed them.


I think the overall expectation consensus is something like

LA and Minny top two teams, multiple all-stars age in Minny and swapping out Toliver fror Williams and Sims simply won't be enoigh of a factor to knock them from the elite of the league likely to meet in the finals. 1-2

NY Great in the regular season, flames out in playoffs (maybe different if they stay healthy) One super-star a couple of other really good players, some up and coming player and savvy vets lead to a deep team looking at top 3 or 4 placement. (But NY fans want a finals and might secretly be pessimistic and think they could fall after the last few god season.)

Washington great new players in EDD and Toliver, Meesseman and Hill are moving towards being top level talent (Probably Meesseman more that Hill) Great coach, decent role player might struggle on defense, still seem like 3-6 is in the cards.

Seattle lead by two young all-stars and one of the GOAT PGs, decent role players, another year of growth and chemistry 3-6 seems quite possible.

Chicago solid group of players, but losing your head coach and MVP level lead player will create some challenges, they could take it in stride and still be pretty tough, or struggle to get on the same page and just miss the playoffs the #2 pick will help 5-9.

PX Seem to be slowly declining last season and have lost two starters, on the flip side any team built around DT and Griner should be good, Bonner question mark is still out there, D-Rob might have a surprising impact. Just in or just out of Playoffs 6-10

Dallas With Two healthy all-stars and two lottery picks Dallas should be on the rise, but they have to jump someone ahead of them to get anywhere besides bottom of the playoffs 6-10.

Indy/Atlanta losing their #1 player from the last five season combined with not having the type of stronger core that a team like CHicago has have the board not feeling too excited about these two teams prospects. Neither of these teams I would count out, the loss of Catchings or McCoughtry could be a moment for someone else to step up, but low playoffs to lottery team is where they fall, no one will be surprised if one of these teams get to #6, but it also won't be too shocking if the youth and hope below themm on the expectations chart jumps them. 7-12.

Conn/SA Conn with Ogwumike would be a lot higher, but the general thought seems to be that these two teams are full of hope, and have some really nice young pieces, but the expectation in 2017 is that they don't have enough to get out of the lottery quite yet, and if they do it will be to that #8 spot, 8-12.




Last edited by J-Spoon on 03/03/17 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Potential Dallas roster:

PG:Diggins/Phillips/Bias
SG:Powers/Plum or DeShields
SF:Christmas /Hooper
PF:Johnson/Plaisance
C: Paris/Coates/Hamblin

Dallas could also make a trade for Bonner,Stokes,MCcoughtry or Dolson.

Their options are limitless.


sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 5329
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would the Sky trade someone they just got in return for their franchise player?



_________________
chicago sky tankwagon 2017
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Why would the Sky trade someone they just got in return for their franchise player?


1.Because chicago already has a young budding stud at center.

2.Because chicago has a hole at the SF position.

3.Because Dolson will be a RFA next summer and get a max offer from multiple teams.Can chicago afford 3 max bench players ?(Dolson,Quigley,Faulkner).Is it wise to tie up money in bench players when you have a hole at SF ? Giving three sub 20 minute bench players max contracts when you have a void in the starting lineup is just stupid.

There are many reasons why chicago would entertain trade offers for Dolson


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14054
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Sorry but i have to disagree on a couple points. I dont know which Glory Johnson you have been watching but she is not a good defender and even at stage in their careers Pierson is still a better defender then Glory.
Glory has a lot of potential though but it hasnt come out on defense at ALL.

Even when Diggins was healthy her defense was below average. Now after the injury its worse. Combine that with a bad defensive coach and i dont expect that too improve a lot this season


You're a seattle fan.I expect you to downplay a healthy wings team.

BTW...in 2015 Diggins missed 25 games,Johnson missed 34 games,Dallas still finished above .500 with a 18-16 record.Seattle last season had 3 all wnba players,no injuries,and finished below .500.

In 2017....Dallas > Seattle.


I voted for the Sky just for your information. Me being a Storm fan has nothing to do with the fact that Diggins and Glory havent been good defenders so far in the wnba..



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Happycappie25



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 3804
Location: QUEENS!!!!


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I put Seattle...Stewie is THAT good...made an incredible run late and you know they're gonna want a home playoff game...Not sure if an Aging Bird will copy her rejuvenation that happened last year but with Lloyd entering pivotal year 3...I see a lot of good.

Still need to know what to do with Langhorne...love the swords deal...having a true pure rebounding center frees up Stewie to go off anywhere on the court...happened last year with Krystal fn Thomas whenever she was on the floor...shrewd trade...a reason why sum total a middling serviceable starter commanded 2 players and a first round pick. and seattle only gave up the pick. Could she end up the Brian Cardinal of the WNBA...possibly but given how things worked...I think Seattle knows how important a true center is to their offense...also have great depth in Tok and a burgeoning KML...think 5th with a shot to take the 4 hole if someone has a bad start.



_________________
"Leave it to the NCAA women's basketball committee to turn a glass slipper into glass ceiling" Graham Hays
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Sorry but i have to disagree on a couple points. I dont know which Glory Johnson you have been watching but she is not a good defender and even at stage in their careers Pierson is still a better defender then Glory.
Glory has a lot of potential though but it hasnt come out on defense at ALL.

Even when Diggins was healthy her defense was below average. Now after the injury its worse. Combine that with a bad defensive coach and i dont expect that too improve a lot this season


You're a seattle fan.I expect you to downplay a healthy wings team.

BTW...in 2015 Diggins missed 25 games,Johnson missed 34 games,Dallas still finished above .500 with a 18-16 record.Seattle last season had 3 all wnba players,no injuries,and finished below .500.

In 2017....Dallas > Seattle.


I voted for the Sky just for your information. Me being a Storm fan has nothing to do with the fact that Diggins and Glory havent been good defenders so far in the wnba..


Who you voted for is irrelevant.It still doesn't change that fact that you're undervaluing Johnson's impact on the defensive side of the basketball.I agree with you about Diggins,but not on Johnson.Glory has caused problems for some of the better offensive players in the league like Parker & Griner.Glory's biggest problem is that she can be over aggressive at times,and pick up stupid fouls.Glory is without a doubt a top 5 defensive starting PF.The only starting pf's better are Brunson,Charles,Ogwumike & Stewart.I believe Taj Mcwilliams will have a positive impact on the post players.

Johnson and Diggins have missed a combined 84 games over the last two seasons.Dallas/Tulsa still managed to make the playoffs in 2015.

Last time I picked Dallas to win 20+ games,they jumped out of the gate with a 8-1 record.


Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 479



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Sorry but i have to disagree on a couple points. I dont know which Glory Johnson you have been watching but she is not a good defender and even at stage in their careers Pierson is still a better defender then Glory.
Glory has a lot of potential though but it hasnt come out on defense at ALL.

Even when Diggins was healthy her defense was below average. Now after the injury its worse. Combine that with a bad defensive coach and i dont expect that too improve a lot this season


You're a seattle fan.I expect you to downplay a healthy wings team.

BTW...in 2015 Diggins missed 25 games,Johnson missed 34 games,Dallas still finished above .500 with a 18-16 record.Seattle last season had 3 all wnba players,no injuries,and finished below .500.

In 2017....Dallas > Seattle.


Boucek is a much worse coach than Williams. She was the worst coaching hire in the league since Nolan Richardson.


zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle's late season run was overrated imo.

W vs New York(No Stokes,No Wright)
W vs Washington(No Latta,No Sanders)
W vs Los Angeles(No.Ogwumike,No Toliver)
L vs Phoenix-lost by 24
W vs chicago(No Delle donne,No Pondexter,No Vandersloot)
L vs Atlanta(No Hayes,No Lyttle)

Seattle beat a lot of teams that were missing multiple rotation players.Then lost in the playoffs to a dream team that was missing two starters.

Swords is a good pickup,I just think that seattle overpaid.They should have waited until draft day to make a trade(see who declares)

Ay Mate wrote:

Boucek is a much worse coach than Williams. She was the worst coaching hire in the league since Nolan Richardson.


Never been a fan of Boucek.




Last edited by zune69 on 03/03/17 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19092
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In those glorious three seasons when Glory was around and healthy enough to play at least 29 games, Tulsa won 9, 11 and 12 games, and finished 11th, 11th and 12th in the league in defensive efficiency. In a 12-team league.

zune69 wrote:
Johnson and Diggins have missed a combined 84 games over the last two seasons.Dallas/Tulsa still managed to make the playoffs in 2015.

Yes, the results of a team from two years ago that was led by Odyssesy Sims, Plenette Pierson and Riquna Williams are clearly hugely relevant to how Dallas will perform this season...



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
In those glorious three seasons when Glory was around and healthy enough to play at least 29 games, Tulsa won 9, 11 and 12 games, and finished 11th, 11th and 12th in the league in defensive efficiency. In a 12-team league.

zune69 wrote:
Johnson and Diggins have missed a combined 84 games over the last two seasons.Dallas/Tulsa still managed to make the playoffs in 2015.

Yes, the results of a team from two years ago that was led by Odyssesy Sims, Plenette Pierson and Riquna Williams are clearly hugely relevant to how Dallas will perform this season...


I agree with the first part.Tulsa/Dallas has always been a poor defensive basketball team,even when they had Cambage/Johnson as the starting 4/5.But I believe this team will have more all around talent(Powers,Christmas,2 draft picks) and less nuckleheads(Sims,Williams)

Disagree with your 2nd point.After Diggins went down in 2015 tulsa played like crap.As the primary scorers,Sims & Williams were too ball dominate,shot happy,streaky and inefficient.Yes,Sims was on that team.But she was more of a negative than a positive,and Pierson's number fell off after Diggins went down.8-1 with Diggins...10-15 without.

Diggins > Sims.....Johnson > Pierson....Powers = R.Williams,but bigger,stronger,and with a higher ceiling.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Starting backcourt is Phillips/Diggins.More defense at the point.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3096
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
In those glorious three seasons when Glory was around and healthy enough to play at least 29 games, Tulsa won 9, 11 and 12 games, and finished 11th, 11th and 12th in the league in defensive efficiency. In a 12-team league.

zune69 wrote:
Johnson and Diggins have missed a combined 84 games over the last two seasons.Dallas/Tulsa still managed to make the playoffs in 2015.

Yes, the results of a team from two years ago that was led by Odyssesy Sims, Plenette Pierson and Riquna Williams are clearly hugely relevant to how Dallas will perform this season...


I agree with the first part.Tulsa/Dallas has always been a poor defensive basketball team,even when they had Cambage/Johnson as the starting 4/5.But I believe this team will have more all around talent(Powers,Christmas,2 draft picks) and less nuckleheads(Sims,Williams)

Disagree with your 2nd point.After Diggins went down in 2015 tulsa played like crap.As the primary scorers,Sims & Williams were too ball dominate,shot happy,streaky and inefficient.Yes,Sims was on that team.But she was more of a negative than a positive,and Pierson's number fell off after Diggins went down.8-1 with Diggins...10-15 without.

Diggins > Sims.....Johnson > Pierson....Powers = R.Williams,but bigger,stronger,and with a higher ceiling.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Starting backcourt is Phillips/Diggins.More defense at the point.


Phillips should not be starting for us at all . I like her coming off the bench as a 6th man . She pounds the rock entirely too much and has to force jacked shots with the shot clock dwindling . I saw that way to many times last year in arlington. Diggins/Powers/Christmas/Johnson/Paris or Draft Pick



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5354



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Could someone kindly lay out what the expectations are for each team at his point, because without that basis it's impossible to say who I think will exceed them.


+1



_________________
CORINNE BAILEY RAE
The Heart Speaks In Whispers

Fabulous 5
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
In those glorious three seasons when Glory was around and healthy enough to play at least 29 games, Tulsa won 9, 11 and 12 games, and finished 11th, 11th and 12th in the league in defensive efficiency. In a 12-team league.

zune69 wrote:
Johnson and Diggins have missed a combined 84 games over the last two seasons.Dallas/Tulsa still managed to make the playoffs in 2015.

Yes, the results of a team from two years ago that was led by Odyssesy Sims, Plenette Pierson and Riquna Williams are clearly hugely relevant to how Dallas will perform this season...


I agree with the first part.Tulsa/Dallas has always been a poor defensive basketball team,even when they had Cambage/Johnson as the starting 4/5.But I believe this team will have more all around talent(Powers,Christmas,2 draft picks) and less nuckleheads(Sims,Williams)

Disagree with your 2nd point.After Diggins went down in 2015 tulsa played like crap.As the primary scorers,Sims & Williams were too ball dominate,shot happy,streaky and inefficient.Yes,Sims was on that team.But she was more of a negative than a positive,and Pierson's number fell off after Diggins went down.8-1 with Diggins...10-15 without.

Diggins > Sims.....Johnson > Pierson....Powers = R.Williams,but bigger,stronger,and with a higher ceiling.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Starting backcourt is Phillips/Diggins.More defense at the point.


Phillips should not be starting for us at all . I like her coming off the bench as a 6th man . She pounds the rock entirely too much and has to force jacked shots with the shot clock dwindling . I saw that way to many times last year in arlington. Diggins/Powers/Christmas/Johnson/Paris or Draft Pick


1.Most pg's dribble the ball a lot.

2.Phillips takes quality shots.

3.Phillips is a excellent on ball defender.

4.Last season Phillips was a very good shooter across the board 44/38/90.

5.Diggins,Powers,Christmas & Johnson all like to shoot the basketball.You need players that are willing to do the dirty work without complaining about shot attempts(Phillips,Paris)

6.Some players play better coming off the bench(Powers ? )

7.The starting lineup will depend on bench depth.If dallas has a thin bench.Phillips has a outside shot at being the starting pg.

8.Coates,Jones nor Russell will start over Paris unless she's traded,which is very possible.


Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 479



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Seattle's late season run was overrated imo.

W vs New York(No Stokes,No Wright)
W vs Washington(No Latta,No Sanders)
W vs Los Angeles(No.Ogwumike,No Toliver)
L vs Phoenix-lost by 24
W vs chicago(No Delle donne,No Pondexter,No Vandersloot)
L vs Atlanta(No Hayes,No Lyttle)

Seattle beat a lot of teams that were missing multiple rotation players.Then lost in the playoffs to a dream team that was missing two starters.

Swords is a good pickup,I just think that seattle overpaid.They should have waited until draft day to make a trade(see who declares)

Ay Mate wrote:

Boucek is a much worse coach than Williams. She was the worst coaching hire in the league since Nolan Richardson.


Never been a fan of Boucek.


Worst thing Seattle ever did was fire Brian Agler. With Boucek, they'll never go anywhere, and yes, their last season run last year was not because they played good, it was because their opponents sat out their stars.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19923



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Agler left by his own choice? And why not go to a team with a shot at a championship rather than stick with a team that's going to be rebuilding for a number of years?



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 479



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I heard he was fired because the Storm wanted to go a completely different route and go with youth.


zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Could someone kindly lay out what the expectations are for each team at his point, because without that basis it's impossible to say who I think will exceed them.


+1


Judging by the comments on rebkell,this imo is the prediction consensus up to this point:

Level 1:
Minnesota
Los Angeles

Level 2:
New york
Washington
Phoenix
Seattle

Level 3:
Dallas
Chicago
Indiana

Level 4:
Atlanta
Connecticut
San Antonio

But it's still early....


Angus24



Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 617
Location: South Dakota


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/17 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad to see the majority vote with me for SAS. I think they will be much better than most of you think. A lot of new players and two high draft picks should really turn things around. The biggest question mark may be VJ, the new coach. He has been there, done that, and I think he will be very good.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3096
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
In those glorious three seasons when Glory was around and healthy enough to play at least 29 games, Tulsa won 9, 11 and 12 games, and finished 11th, 11th and 12th in the league in defensive efficiency. In a 12-team league.

zune69 wrote:
Johnson and Diggins have missed a combined 84 games over the last two seasons.Dallas/Tulsa still managed to make the playoffs in 2015.

Yes, the results of a team from two years ago that was led by Odyssesy Sims, Plenette Pierson and Riquna Williams are clearly hugely relevant to how Dallas will perform this season...


I agree with the first part.Tulsa/Dallas has always been a poor defensive basketball team,even when they had Cambage/Johnson as the starting 4/5.But I believe this team will have more all around talent(Powers,Christmas,2 draft picks) and less nuckleheads(Sims,Williams)

Disagree with your 2nd point.After Diggins went down in 2015 tulsa played like crap.As the primary scorers,Sims & Williams were too ball dominate,shot happy,streaky and inefficient.Yes,Sims was on that team.But she was more of a negative than a positive,and Pierson's number fell off after Diggins went down.8-1 with Diggins...10-15 without.

Diggins > Sims.....Johnson > Pierson....Powers = R.Williams,but bigger,stronger,and with a higher ceiling.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Starting backcourt is Phillips/Diggins.More defense at the point.


Phillips should not be starting for us at all . I like her coming off the bench as a 6th man . She pounds the rock entirely too much and has to force jacked shots with the shot clock dwindling . I saw that way to many times last year in arlington. Diggins/Powers/Christmas/Johnson/Paris or Draft Pick


1.Most pg's dribble the ball a lot.

2.Phillips takes quality shots.

3.Phillips is a excellent on ball defender.

4.Last season Phillips was a very good shooter across the board 44/38/90.

5.Diggins,Powers,Christmas & Johnson all like to shoot the basketball.You need players that are willing to do the dirty work without complaining about shot attempts(Phillips,Paris)

6.Some players play better coming off the bench(Powers ? )

7.The starting lineup will depend on bench depth.If dallas has a thin bench.Phillips has a outside shot at being the starting pg.

8.Coates,Jones nor Russell will start over Paris unless she's traded,which is very possible.


With the system fred attempts to play high tempo theres no need for the pg to have the ball dribbling at the top of the key for 20 seconds every possession. Phillips was a great assett but she should not be starting.



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
With the system fred attempts to play high tempo .


That's part of the problem.Just because dallas plays an uptempo style does not mean it's the most optimal pace for team success.Dallas took the 3rd most shot last season,but had the worst fg% in the league(40%).Dallas was also 2nd to last in assist.What good is playing at a faster pace if you're taking rushed low quality shots without looking for the open man ? Dallas should play at a pace more suited to winning basketball games based on the construction of their roster.Imo,Dallas has more half court players than run & gun players.They need to find the right balance.

WNBA 09 wrote:
Phillips was a great assett but she should not be starting.


This remains to be seen.We don't know what the final roster will look like.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3096
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/17 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
With the system fred attempts to play high tempo .


That's part of the problem.Just because dallas plays an uptempo style does not mean it's the most optimal pace for team success.Dallas took the 3rd most shot last season,but had the worst fg% in the league(40%).Dallas was also 2nd to last in assist.What good is playing at a faster pace if you're taking rushed low quality shots without looking for the open man ? Dallas should play at a pace more suited to winning basketball games based on the construction of their roster.Imo,Dallas has more half court players than run & gun players.They need to find the right balance.

WNBA 09 wrote:
Phillips was a great assett but she should not be starting.


This remains to be seen.We don't know what the final roster will look like.


The numbers speak for themselves. 2Nd to last in assist with phillips and sims pounding the ball for 20 seconds a possession and you miss the playoffs, But you want to see this again this season also?



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/17 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
With the system fred attempts to play high tempo .


That's part of the problem.Just because dallas plays an uptempo style does not mean it's the most optimal pace for team success.Dallas took the 3rd most shot last season,but had the worst fg% in the league(40%).Dallas was also 2nd to last in assist.What good is playing at a faster pace if you're taking rushed low quality shots without looking for the open man ? Dallas should play at a pace more suited to winning basketball games based on the construction of their roster.Imo,Dallas has more half court players than run & gun players.They need to find the right balance.

WNBA 09 wrote:
Phillips was a great assett but she should not be starting.



This remains to be seen.We don't know what the final roster will look like.


The numbers speak for themselves. 2Nd to last in assist with phillips and sims pounding the ball for 20 seconds a possession and you miss the playoffs, But you want to see this again this season also?


This is just stupid and idiotic.Phillips averaged less than 15 minutes per game.She played team basketball and never forced up low quality shots.Phillips reached the wnba playoffs every year she played prior to last season.Including winning a wnba championship as a starting guard in 2012.Phillips was a positive for dallas last season.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19923



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/17 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO Phillips was under-utilized last year. With ALL the other guards shooting under 40%, Dallas does need to change up what it's doing. Jacking up (and missing) quick shots won't equal wins.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
jap



Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 7008



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/17 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
I thought I heard he was fired because the Storm wanted to go a completely different route and go with youth.


No, I left on his own, jumping on the opportunity to coach the Sparks after Boss Ross was released.



_________________
Regards,
J A P
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3096
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/17 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
With the system fred attempts to play high tempo .


That's part of the problem.Just because dallas plays an uptempo style does not mean it's the most optimal pace for team success.Dallas took the 3rd most shot last season,but had the worst fg% in the league(40%).Dallas was also 2nd to last in assist.What good is playing at a faster pace if you're taking rushed low quality shots without looking for the open man ? Dallas should play at a pace more suited to winning basketball games based on the construction of their roster.Imo,Dallas has more half court players than run & gun players.They need to find the right balance.

WNBA 09 wrote:
Phillips was a great assett but she should not be starting.



This remains to be seen.We don't know what the final roster will look like.


The numbers speak for themselves. 2Nd to last in assist with phillips and sims pounding the ball for 20 seconds a possession and you miss the playoffs, But you want to see this again this season also?


This is just stupid and idiotic.Phillips averaged less than 15 minutes per game.She played team basketball and never forced up low quality shots.Phillips reached the wnba playoffs every year she played prior to last season.Including winning a wnba championship as a starting guard in 2012.Phillips was a positive for dallas last season.



What does phillips reaching the playoffs in 2012 have anything to do with her production from last season?



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/17 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

What does phillips reaching the playoffs in 2012 have anything to do with her production from last season?


You accused Phillips of being one of the main culprits in dallas finishing 2nd in assist,which is not true bacause she isn't one of the primary playmakers.Phillips finished almost last in usage rate.Then you pointed out dallas missing the playoffs as if there was some relation to the way Phillips played.You brought up the playoffs,not me.I just wanted to counter your argument and point out Phillips' high rate of making the playoffs.

WNBA 09 wrote:

The numbers speak for themselves. 2Nd to last in assist with phillips and sims pounding the ball for 20 seconds a possession and you miss the playoffs, But you want to see this again this season also?


Usage rate:

Bias-26.8
Powers-25.4
Sims-23.7
Diggins-23.4
Pierson-23.0
Hooper-19.7
Johnson-19.2
Plaisance-18.0
Christmas-17.9
Kiesel-14.7
Phillips-14.1
Paris-13.9

How can you criticize Erin's production when she play less than 15 mpg,and when she did play her usage rate was one of the lowest on the team.Erin's role on dallas is defense,spot up shooting and secondary ball handling.Phillips shot 44/38/90 last season,and her defensive impact does not show up on the stat sheet.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 42759



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They have those fancy defensive rating stats now at wnba.com, but people tend to ignore them when they don't say what is wanted.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3096
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/17 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

What does phillips reaching the playoffs in 2012 have anything to do with her production from last season?


You accused Phillips of being one of the main culprits in dallas finishing 2nd in assist,which is not true bacause she isn't one of the primary playmakers.Phillips finished almost last in usage rate.Then you pointed out dallas missing the playoffs as if there was some relation to the way Phillips played.You brought up the playoffs,not me.I just wanted to counter your argument and point out Phillips' high rate of making the playoffs.

WNBA 09 wrote:

The numbers speak for themselves. 2Nd to last in assist with phillips and sims pounding the ball for 20 seconds a possession and you miss the playoffs, But you want to see this again this season also?





Usage rate:

Bias-26.8
Powers-25.4
Sims-23.7
Diggins-23.4
Pierson-23.0
Hooper-19.7
Johnson-19.2
Plaisance-18.0
Christmas-17.9
Kiesel-14.7
Phillips-14.1
Paris-13.9

How can you criticize Erin's production when she play less than 15 mpg,and when she did play her usage rate was one of the lowest on the team.Erin's role on dallas is defense,spot up shooting and secondary ball handling.Phillips shot 44/38/90 last season,and her defensive impact does not show up on the stat sheet.


Again ..What does phillips not producing have to do with her making the 2012 playoffs ? Laughing i just read a bunch of rambling . Your in defense mode all because i stated she should NOT be starting this year for us here in Dallas and you go on a rampage . None of which has changed my mind on phillips not starting . Maybe 6th man off the bench but if she was such a game changer with her numbers then maybe her playing time would increase. She had her shot all season with diggins being out the beginning of the year so idk what the big deal is . Off the bench she comes



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Again ..What does phillips not producing have to do with her making the 2012 playoffs ? Laughing i just read a bunch of rambling . Your in defense mode all because i stated she should NOT be starting this year for us here in Dallas and you go on a rampage . None of which has changed my mind on phillips not starting . Maybe 6th man off the bench but if she was such a game changer with her numbers then maybe her playing time would increase. She had her shot all season with diggins being out the beginning of the year so idk what the big deal is . Off the bench she comes


1.Why are you trying to deflect ? You jumped into the conversation by making exaggerated claims of Phillips dribbling the ball for 20 seconds of the shot clock.Unlike your viewpoint,my opinion of the dallas rotation is more realistic and unbias.I gave two scenarios.One where Phillips would start and the other where Phillips comes off the bench.You on the other hand are close minded and believe Phillips should come off the bench no matter what.You made false claims about Phillips while i'm coming with facts based on critical thinking,stats and using the eye test.

2.Phillips played limited last season because Sims & Diggins are both 30+ minute players.Also,coach Williams unfortunately values offense over defense.


Shades wrote:
They have those fancy defensive rating stats now at wnba.com, but people tend to ignore them when they don't say what is wanted.


Defensive rating & plus/minus are deceptive stats,especially when you play limited minutes.




Last edited by zune69 on 03/05/17 3:30 pm; edited 7 times in total
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 53895
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/17 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
They have those fancy defensive rating stats now at wnba.com, but people tend to ignore them when they don't say what is wanted.


Defensive rating & plus/minus are deceptive stats,especially when you play limited minutes.


plus/minus is a joke, unless you really think Moriah Jefferson was really San Antonio's worst starter last season



_________________
I'm not afraid of anyone. I'm not shy about anything. Not even my big nose.
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5537



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
They have those fancy defensive rating stats now at wnba.com, but people tend to ignore them when they don't say what is wanted.


Defensive rating & plus/minus are deceptive stats,especially when you play limited minutes.


plus/minus is a joke, unless you really think Moriah Jefferson was really San Antonio's worst starter last season


Agreed......I feel the Same way about defensive rating.

Lavender,Zahui b,Lyttle and Bass all have better defensive ratings than B.Griner.

S.Schimmel has a better defensive rating than M.Moore.

KML has a better defensive rating than A.Clark.

Lavender and Parker have better defensive ratings than Ogwumike if that makes any sense.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin