RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why has Nina Davis's star fallen?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/02/17 2:14 pm    ::: Why has Nina Davis's star fallen? Reply Reply with quote

First team AA as a soph and junior. All sorts of Big 10 awards for three years. Now, as a senior, she's become almost invisible in terms of media attention and stats.

Why?
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/02/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IDK it was ever really there and she benefitted from Johnson the most on the team.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her accolades all came as a result of her numbers. Since Baylor revamped their offense this year to feature her less, her stats have gone down and so has her recognition. She's a limited player who has been properly reduced to a supporting role.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sacred the same will happen for Gabby Williams (Uconn) next year, with Collier and Stevens playing inside.
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was clear that with her size she needs to work on an outside game, which apparently either she has not done or was not able to do. Energy is great but needs some skill to back it up. She basically has one move to the basket which, if scouted, should be stopped a high % of the time, especially since you know she can't pull up and shoot.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
I'm sacred the same will happen for Gabby Williams (Uconn) next year, with Collier and Stevens playing inside.

Gabby has a much more well rounded game. Yeah, she needs to work on an outside shot, but her pure athleticism/passing ability is in a totally different zipcode from Nina.

- Amanda Gorman
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well next year everyones stats on UConn are gonna drop... they go 6-7 deep this year. next year they will be at least 8-9 GOOD players deep. i cant see anyone averaging 20ppg next year for UConn

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/02/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
well next year everyones stats on UConn are gonna drop... they go 6-7 deep this year. next year they will be at least 8-9 GOOD players deep. i cant see anyone averaging 20ppg next year for UConn

There's a bunch of assumptions in there that more people will play and that the personnel getting the minutes will change.

When was the last time Geno went more than about 7 deep in real minutes in meaningful games? We'll see.

Butler was supposed to come in and play a lot too. How did that work out?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There were some who thought Johnson was a liability on Baylor but she really made the team tick.

Why has some put down Turner, IMO Turner has suffered from a lack of passing and ball movement due to the make up of the team, can you imagine her with KLS and Williams Wink

There is a question whether Baylor will have the backcourt to get all those posts the ball. Some forget that posts rely on players who can pass and spread the floor to give them room.

What will Ohio State look like if Mitchell goes pro?

Howee

PostPosted: 03/02/17 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Her accolades all came as a result of her numbers. Since Baylor revamped their offense this year to feature her less, her stats have gone down and so has her recognition. She's a limited player who has been properly reduced to a supporting role.

Pretty concise and to-the-point. And didn't even have to mention UConn, LOL~

Poor Nina. Nice kid 'n all, but .... just one of those who probably has peaked in college. Her moves in the post served her well for a while, but with REAL post-sized players, she became obsolete. I hope she (and Kim) were realistic enough to not necessarily have any high hopes with a pro career; being voted Big 12 POY might have led to such illusions.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was fun to watch the last few years, but it's clear her role has been greatly reduced this year. She's still the same hard nosed undersized player that manages to hold her own but Baylor just doesn't need her on the floor they way they have in the past. There have been a couple big games this season where we saw Mulkey go with the bigger players over her down the final stretch of the game.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

There's a bunch of assumptions in there that more people will play and that the personnel getting the minutes will change.

When was the last time Geno went more than about 7 deep in real minutes in meaningful games? We'll see.

Butler was supposed to come in and play a lot too. How did that work out?

2001, at least, off the top of my head.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Azura Stephens is a huge step up from Butler in terms of pure talent/athleticism. The question is how she 'gets' the Geno system. A year on the bench/in practice should be a good intro. If she can fit in, she will get a lot of time on the floor. It will give them great options - to go big or small - even if he still only plays 7. I would guess that their super Frosh next year will also get some time on the floor so that makes 8 which will give them injury insurance. She will probably get some Chong minutes. Imagine the size they would have with Nurse-KatieLou-Gabby-Collier-Azura on the floor. Daunting.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Azura Stephens is a huge step up from Butler in terms of pure talent/athleticism. The question is how she 'gets' the Geno system. A year on the bench/in practice should be a good intro. If she can fit in, she will get a lot of time on the floor. It will give them great options - to go big or small - even if he still only plays 7. I would guess that their super Frosh next year will also get some time on the floor so that makes 8 which will give them injury insurance. She will probably get some Chong minutes. Imagine the size they would have with Nurse-KatieLou-Gabby-Collier-Azura on the floor. Daunting.

Size, but a lack of enough ball-handling ability, imo.

But I look forward to being wrong. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/02/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Size, but a lack of enough ball-handling ability, imo.

But I look forward to being wrong. Very Happy

Good LORD, Nina can't even keep a THREAD for herself! Get A Room, you 2---LOL!!!!

PostPosted: 03/03/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think NDavis' star has fallen that far. Her per30 scoring is 15.4 points. And that's with some serious Bigs in the way, that they're aggressively developing. Baylor can always go Brown - Prince as stretch 4 - Davis - AJones , with match-up or whoever is hot. If you need any proof that Baylor isn't playing at 10/10ths all the time ...

<scene>

2 minutes left in the Baylor Texas game.
Granpa napping in his chair.
Wakes to see Twin Tower trying to inbound to Twin Tower ??
snorts
"They're gonna steal that ball !"
waits 2 seconds
"See told'ja."
Granpa immediately goes back to nap.

<end scene>

edit 15.4 not 14 typo

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/16/17 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis didn't even get drafted by the WNBA, which means that WNBA GM's didn't consider her one of the top 36 players available.

This is reminiscent of the fact that she was ranked #52 by HoopGurlz as a senior in high school.

So who's right, the W GM's and high school rankers, who weren't impressed by Davis relative to her classmates -- or in between, the college coaches and basketball writers who, so profoundly impressed by her relative to all four college classes, voted her a first team All-American as a sophomore and junior?

Something doesn't compute. I can't recall a similar example of such sinusoidal amplitude.
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/16/17 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sunday Sports Brunch: WNBA draft snub fuels Nina Davis

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/2017/04/15/sunday-sports-brunch-wnba-draft-snub-fuels-nina-davis/100438272/

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/16/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Nina Davis is like Chantel Osahor in her unorthodox yet effective style. It's possible one or both could continue to exceed expectations at the next level ... or it's possible neither will.

Osahor, being taller, was presumably the easier gamble ...

PostPosted: 04/16/17 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would say Osahor has a skill set that translates much better to the league. She has the ability to rebound and to hit the three.

Davis does not have a shot mid-range or otherwise and while their have been undersized PFs in the WNBA (ToT, Willingham). Both log them had considerable more size if not height than Davis.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/16/17 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I think Nina Davis is like Chantel Osahor in her unorthodox yet effective style. It's possible one or both could continue to exceed expectations at the next level ... or it's possible neither will.

Osahor, being taller, was presumably the easier gamble ...

My money would be on "neither", unfortunately. Neither one of these gals came too close to Courtney Paris' collegiate records, and CP is scraping by, really. I know, she has been at the top of some rebounding seasons, etc., but she's NEVER going to be one of the GOATs, despite phenomenal collegiate records.

I don't think Chantel is physically capable of being a viable pro, and I don't think Nina has the size/strength to be a post player, nor the handles to be a perimeter player. Maybe somewhere overseas? But not here. (trust me, I'd LOVE to be wrong, for the sake of either gal, but....)

Some kids simply had their best years in college. Period.

Last edited by Howee on 04/17/17 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
willtalk

PostPosted: 04/17/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the problem a lot of tweener players have when they move up to the next level be it from high school to college or college to the pro's. They do fine at the lower level because they go against shorter or slower players. At the next level certain skills become more important than just being athletic. It a player does not possess the skills of the players his size at the next level they will be in trouble. Especially shorter players who made their living in the post who then have to transition to wings or guards. If you want to play those positions you better be able to shoot from outside the key.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/18/17 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nina was a unique talent who worked well in college, but she really is playing out of her natural position based on size. She might have had a pro career if she had played the 3.

I don't really see that her stock has dropped. Her stats weren't going to get her AA honors this year -- too many players sharing the ball. There wasn't ever any chance she was going to be a power forward in pro ball. She's still a great college player who brought a lot of energy to her team, but like many other players like her, she's not a great fit in a small league.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/24/17 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know where she is now? I don't think she made a WNBA roster.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/24/17 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Anyone know where she is now? I don't think she made a WNBA roster.

Twitter Laughing

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: