RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dykes resigns
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 6:08 pm    ::: Dykes resigns Reply Reply with quote

http://5newsonline.com/2017/03/03/jimmy-dykes-resigns-as-arkansas-womens-coach/

PostPosted: 03/03/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arkansas native Mike Neighbors is the dream candidate to replace Dykes. It seems crazy for him to consider leaving but Plum, Osahor and Collier graduate and the remaining talent is just not that strong so maybe it could be a consideration if his buy out is not too big. Now I realize he just bought a home in Seattle and hes loved after taking them to the Final 4 but Arkansas has to reach out at least.

The only thing that is an unknown to me is his recruiting ability. McGuff was the head coach when Plum and co. committed. Neighbors can clearly coach but I just wonder how his teams would look with a roster full of his recruited players in a post-Plum world. We'll find out next year I suppose.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/04/17 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought he just had his contract renewed through '20. Well, at nearly a half million/year, I'd say he certainly wasn't producing all that well.

PostPosted: 03/04/17 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dykes was fired. Two days ago he said "I have no plans to go into administration. I have no desire to do anything other than what I'm doing right now. I know I'm exactly where God wants me to be."

PostPosted: 03/04/17 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Dykes was fired. Two days ago he said "I have no plans to go into administration. I have no desire to do anything other than what I'm doing right now. I know I'm exactly where God wants me to be."

God apparently wants Arkansas to win more women's basketball games -- though I would hope he has more important things to worry about.

PostPosted: 03/04/17 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope he comes back as an analyst he was good at that

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/04/17 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone have insight into the off-court issues? He lost quite a few talented players to transfer...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/04/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who does anyone see as a replacement? Arkansas has been kind of a sink since Gary Blair left, lo, these many years ago.

PostPosted: 03/04/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Who does anyone see as a replacement? Arkansas has been kind of a sink since Gary Blair left, lo, these many years ago.

I wonder if Christy Smith will at least get a phone call. Her one year at Incarnate World has been rough, but that isn't the kind of place where you expect anything else at this point.

scoutnwhoops

PostPosted: 03/04/17 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Melanie Balcomb??

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/04/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scoutnwhoops wrote:
Melanie Balcomb??

I like that idea. They need a seasoned coach and she knows the SEC well. I wonder if her year on Staley's bench was enough of the "rest" she needed?

I was thinking Bonnie Hendrickson maybe, but would prefer Balcomb if I'm a Razorback.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/04/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meh. I still say Balcomb's best teams wore an X. Xavier is very much a mid-major. If she went to Arkansas, her teams would look just like the andy teams, also-rans.

PostPosted: 03/04/17 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't really understand the attraction of recycling fired coaches.

Go find someone who's young and whose current employer would be really sorry to lose.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/05/17 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

They're hoping to get Gary Blair after he was fired from Arkansas

PostPosted: 03/05/17 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

They're hoping to get Gary Blair after he was fired from Arkansas

It happens. Heck even Bill Belechick and Pete Carrol were fired before getting their successful jobs.

But it wouldn't be the first place I'd look.

Too often it's just an easy pick because people have heard of them.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 03/05/17 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It pisses me off that they can fire Dykes after three years but Tennessee won't do anything to Warlick after five years of being much worse.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/05/17 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Go find someone who's young and whose current employer would be really sorry to lose.

How do you judge the abilities of assistant coaches? Probably uncommon to find one that doesn't get an excellent recommendation from their head coach.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/05/17 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

How do you judge the abilities of assistant coaches? Probably uncommon to find one that doesn't get an excellent recommendation from their head coach.

Who said anything about assistant coaches?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/05/17 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
It pisses me off that they can fire Dykes after three years but Tennessee won't do anything to Warlick after five years of being much worse.

Are you really even a Tennessee fan or do you just like to bitch? You sound just like the "fans on the hill" who whine all the time no matter how things are going---they ALWAYS find something to whine about.

Now granted this year wasn't the best, but there were some fairly good reasons for what happened, and anyway, it's not over yet. Only one team can be champions and if you are going to whine just because you don't get the ring EVERY YEAR, then you are just one of the "fans on the hill". Most schools would be happy with What Holly's does, and her first 4 years were better than Pat's last 4.

PostPosted: 03/05/17 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Are you really even a Tennessee fan or do you just like to bitch? You sound just like the "fans on the hill" who whine all the time no matter how things are going---they ALWAYS find something to whine about.

Now granted this year wasn't the best, but there were some fairly good reasons for what happened, and anyway, it's not over yet. Only one team can be champions and if you are going to whine just because you don't get the ring EVERY YEAR, then you are just one of the "fans on the hill". Most schools would be happy with What Holly's does, and her first 4 years were better than Pat's last 4.

To be fair Holly's first 4 years were with players recruited under pats reign , but idk how holly got limelight in Cynthia's firing thread

PostPosted: 03/05/17 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Do I really have to spell this out for you? Because I really don't feel like doing it.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/05/17 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Do I really have to spell this out for you? Because I really don't feel like doing it.

Your picture is worth a thousand words.

PostPosted: 03/06/17 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Meh. I still say Balcomb's best teams wore an X. Xavier is very much a mid-major. If she went to Arkansas, her teams would look just like the andy teams, also-rans.

Kind of like those Holly teams

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/06/17 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

I have explained why I changed it. You obviously lack reading comprehension, or don't read all the threads. Sorry for ya.

PostPosted: 03/06/17 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

I have explained why I changed it. You obviously lack reading comprehension, or don't read all the threads. Sorry for ya.

Am I insane, summertime blues, or did you just respond to yourself?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: