RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee has a new AD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/28/17 2:08 pm    ::: Tennessee has a new AD Reply Reply with quote

It was announced today by Chancellor Elizabeth Davenport that the new Athletic Director of the University of Tennessee is John Currie of Kansas State.

I do not expect this to be a popular choice for a couple of reasons. First of all, he's another outsider. There were two strong candidates with Tennessee connections--Philip Fulmer was the popular choice, and although he had no AD experience, he has assisted in rebuilding the football program at ETSU, financially as well as assisting in building the coaching staff; David Blackburn, AD at Chattanooga was the other. The previous AD, Hart, was such an outsider that he left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Davenport is so brand new herself that she may have damaged her own brand here. As for the other, I'm not sure how bright the guy is, or how supportive of women's athletics, which are pretty important at UT. I seem to recall he was the guy who had to be e-mail bombed a couple of years ago to "let Leticia go" when Jeff Mittie refused to release her for whatever selfish reasons he had going on. It took quite an e-mail campaign to get her released, as I remember. So I don't know how well Currie will be received. We shall see.

PostPosted: 02/28/17 2:12 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee has a new AD Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I seem to recall he was the guy who had to be e-mail bombed a couple of years ago to "let Leticia go" when Jeff Mittie refused to release her for whatever selfish reasons he had going on. It took quite an e-mail campaign to get her released, as I remember.

You mean that time Kansas State followed explicit guidelines of the NCAA?

ksuwbbfan

PostPosted: 03/01/17 3:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Currie came to K-State from Tennessee and has been openly looking for other jobs because there have been rumblings that he was on thin ice because of his disastrous men's basketball hire and the fact that he and football coach Bill Snyder don't see eye to eye. In Manhattan, Kansas the AD is not going to win a power struggle with the hall of fame football coach. Throw in the Romero fiasco, and I'm not at all sorry to see him leave.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/01/17 3:40 am    ::: Re: Tennessee has a new AD Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
It was announced today by Chancellor Elizabeth Davenport that the new Athletic Director of the University of Tennessee is John Currie of Kansas State.

I do not expect this to be a popular choice for a couple of reasons. First of all, he's another outsider. There were two strong candidates with Tennessee connections--Philip Fulmer was the popular choice, and although he had no AD experience, he has assisted in rebuilding the football program at ETSU, financially as well as assisting in building the coaching staff; David Blackburn, AD at Chattanooga was the other. The previous AD, Hart, was such an outsider that he left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Davenport is so brand new herself that she may have damaged her own brand here. As for the other, I'm not sure how bright the guy is, or how supportive of women's athletics, which are pretty important at UT. I seem to recall he was the guy who had to be e-mail bombed a couple of years ago to "let Leticia go" when Jeff Mittie refused to release her for whatever selfish reasons he had going on. It took quite an e-mail campaign to get her released, as I remember. So I don't know how well Currie will be received. We shall see.

Currie is a Tenn alum and spent 12 years at Tenn as an assoc/asst AD. I'd call that an insider. I think Tenn fans' biggest issue with Hart's initial hire wasn't that he was an outsider, but that he came from SEC rival Alabama (and then, of course, he proved to be a terrible AD).

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/01/17 5:12 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee has a new AD Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I seem to recall he was the guy who had to be e-mail bombed a couple of years ago to "let Leticia go" when Jeff Mittie refused to release her for whatever selfish reasons he had going on. It took quite an e-mail campaign to get her released, as I remember.

You mean that time Kansas State followed explicit guidelines of the NCAA?

Please explain how he "followed explicit guidelines of the NCAA?" Romero asked for her release because the coach who recruited her was fired. She had stuck around with Mittie for a month and it wasn't working out. Mittie refused to release her, for whatever selfish reasons he had. After a very large e-mail campaign to both Mittie and Currie, she was finally given a release.

What's your deal, Matty? You seem to be a contrarian about everything lately.

PostPosted: 03/01/17 5:18 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee has a new AD Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Currie is a Tenn alum and spent 12 years at Tenn as an assoc/asst AD. I'd call that an insider. I think Tenn fans' biggest issue with Hart's initial hire wasn't that he was an outsider, but that he came from SEC rival Alabama (and then, of course, he proved to be a terrible AD).

I stand corrected. None of that about Currie was mentioned in any article I saw.

As for Heartless Dave, the truth was that not only did he come from Alabama, but he was a hand-in-pocket buddy with then-chancellor Jimmy Cheek, who was also roundly hated (and who also, IIRC, came from Alabama). There was also that little matter of the lawsuit at FSU....that made a few folks kind of suspicious. He did nothing much to make himself liked and a lot to make himself hated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: