RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Was Kim out of line in her comments
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/25/17 9:13 pm    ::: Was Kim out of line in her comments Reply Reply with quote

about the sexual assaults at Baylor?

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/02/25/baylors-kim-mulkey-was-out-of-line-with-her-comments-on-saturday/

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/25/17 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes. Thoroughly.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unbelievable, isn't it.

She's getting pretty well creamed on Twitter.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/25/17 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She probably voted for tRump and thinks it's all fakenews...

But really she's probably run into it during recruiting and I'm sure that's pretty frustrating for her. Same problem I'm guessing Coquese Washington ran into with the PSU scandal.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/25/17 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

But really she's probably run into it during recruiting and I'm sure that's pretty frustrating for her. Same problem I'm guessing Coquese Washington ran into with the PSU scandal.

I doubt if Coquese ever said " every other school in the country has the same problem". Shocked

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/25/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Factually, I have no idea whether she was out of line or unbelievable. I haven't followed the story closely, but know for darn sure that the media gets a huge percentage of stories wrong. And it may be true that there are things that are unknown, good or bad.

For all I know, there may be many other schools where the same things happen, but they just haven't been outed. Most behaviors are normally distributed throughout all segments of society.

I like that she spoke out to defend her school. She's in the business of attracting girls to come to Baylor. So, even if she's spinning, she's got a reasonable business purpose for doing so. No one should expect her to be some sort of neutral analyst or media talking head.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/25/17 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Factually, I have no idea whether she was out of line or unbelievable. I haven't followed the story closely, but know for darn sure that the media gets a huge percentage of stories wrong. And it may be true that there are things that are unknown, good or bad.

For all I know, there may be many other schools where the same things happen, but they just haven't been outed. Most behaviors are normally distributed throughout all segments of society.

I like that she spoke out to defend her school. She's in the business of attracting girls to come to Baylor. So, even if she's spinning, she's got a reasonable business purpose for doing so. No one should expect her to be some sort of neutral analyst or media talking head.

Oh come on, Glenn, stop rationalizing. That's disgusting, really.

IMO, the best thing Kim could hae done was keep her mouth shut, but then, that's not something she's ever been known for. She could have even said "No comment, " but that would probably have been just as out of character.

While there may be other schools that have problems, and there probably are, Baylor is the one in the spotlight and looking really, really bad right now. It is so bad that a couple of Title IX compliance officers have resigned, the AD had to resign or be fired, it cost the chancellor his job...I mean, how much more damning can it get? I suspect it's probably cost Kim a few potential recruits. I know I sure wouldn't let her talk to my daughter, assuming I had one talented enough to be considered. I'd feel the same about any child of mine and any Baylor coach in any sport...and that applies to children of both genders. IOW, no child of mine would EVER go to Baylor. My grandsons' mothers have both crossed Baylor off the list of schools to be considered for any reason (including scholastic) because of the current situation.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking that this could be pretty costly for Kim.

Quote:
I'd pay for anybody else's daughter to come here.

Smile

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/25/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Defending her employer is one thing. Encouraging people to "knock other people right in the face" because they're leery of sending their daughter to a place where the athletic department covers up sexual assault is a whole 'nother thing, and it is not a good look.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Defending her employer is one thing. Encouraging people to "knock other people right in the face" because they're leery of sending their daughter to a place where the athletic department covers up sexual assault is a whole 'nother thing, and it is not a good look.

She didn't mean that literally but, yes, that was an inappropriate way to voice her frustration.

I sense another factor about Baylor in some quarters, including this forum: anti-Christianity or, at least, anti-Christian morality. Wholly apart from this shameful athlete scandal, some people revel in trashing Baylor because of its religious culture. To a lesser extent, one hears the same attitude toward Notre Dame.

As one who converted to Roman Catholicism in part because I strongly believe in its moral philosophy, I suppose I'm overly sensitive to cultural criticisms of religious schools like Baylor.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/26/17 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gary Parrish rips Mulkey:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/baylor-womens-coach-kim-mulkey-so-wrong-to-tell-fans-to-attack-bu-critics/

"The hope was that the people who were responsible for creating a culture at Baylor where female students were placed in danger and then quieted or ignored were all removed from campus, and that the coaches and administrators who remained learned lessons from their mistakes. But what Mulkey said Saturday, completely unprompted, suggests that’s not the case at all.

She said she’s “tired of hearing it” and that people should “move on [and] find another story to write.” That’s an unbelievable public statement that’s ignorant to the fact that what the rest of us are tired of is hearing men and women in positions of power at Baylor tell everybody to move on and stop worrying about all of the sexual assaults that allegedly involved Baylor student-athletes."

Howee

PostPosted: 02/26/17 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I doubt if Coquese ever said " every other school in the country has the same problem". Shocked

Well, in fairness, Penn State's problem with Renee P. was less likely to be as widespread than the rape thing is, nationally. And Coquese is, well....classier than that!

Kim, Kim, KIM. NOT a bright move. You're probably right, Myrtle: she probably campaigned for him, even, and learned some of his blustery "alternate facts" maneuvers.

PostPosted: 02/26/17 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Completely call me out if I'm wrong on this but didn't she restrain Griner from being her true self at Baylor

Howee

PostPosted: 02/26/17 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Completely call me out if I'm wrong on this but didn't she restrain Griner from being her true self at Baylor

Probably depends upon whether or not your Griner, or Kim. I mean, Griner was 'out' and heavily tattooed. THAT was not the Griner one saw in interviews and general media--and with her skill set and accomplishments there was a TON of attention.

Kim probably would say she 'guided' Britney in her public persona as an athlete at a Baptist School. Griner did balk out loud at some of that, after she graduated. But she also didn't seem too depressed while being a star on a NC contending team: she rode along with it all, for whatever reasons.

PostPosted: 02/26/17 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Punching someone in the face? The punk sitting in the White House said stuff like that during his campaign. I wonder who she voted for. Though its true that sexual assault is a problem on the campuses across the nation (not only Baylor), I think she went too far.

Last edited by taropatch on 02/26/17 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 02/26/17 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"My daughter went to school here" ... yes because you were the head coach of the basketball team she played on

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/26/17 4:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone taken the time to think about what is really happening? I'm sure Kim is fed up with the over saturated news cycle of negativity directed at Baylor. I have read comments about "52" rapes being covered up. That and many other things now associated with this story are complete fabrications. The things that many people have taken as facts are really statements made by plaintiffs attorneys in civil lawsuits seeking money damages. Those are in no way shape or form proven factual statements. What we know is that a former football player raped a Baylor student. He is serving a long prison sentence for that disgusting criminal act. We know that there was another accusation involving 2 football players that was investigated by law enforcement and due to the alleged victim's own actions, the case could not be prosecuted. Everything else is a vague collection of he said she said that we are spoon fed by plaintiffs lawyers to stir up public outrage and increase their settlement outlook. We even see headlines about a former Baylor coach telling a recruit that there are lots of pretty girls at Baylor, except they have to add the word "white" before girls as some implication that he is suggesting sexual assault is ok. Does anyone actually think it's strange to point out that there are pretty girls on campus to a recruit? If you do, then why do U think that spirit squads of coeds are present during recruiting visits?

Kim Mulkey could have used more subtle language, but that is not who she is. As usual, people want to believe the worst and although she has never given anyone a reason to doubt her character, they will write her statements off and ridicule her in favor of blindly following public opinion based on unsubstantiated reporting.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/26/17 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Christians" for Trump.... Laughing

Last edited by cthskzfn on 02/26/17 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 02/26/17 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...The scandal led to the ouster of Head Football Coach Art Briles, the demotion and eventual resignation of Baylor University President Ken Starr, the resignation of Athletic Director Ian McCaw, and the firing of two others connected with the football program. It also led to the resignation of the Title IX Coordinator, Patty Crawford...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_University_sexual_assault_scandal

Take a look at Wikipedia's timeline if you think this was no different from other schools. It's horrific.

I'm appalled that Kim Mulkey would defend the school and do this after a game. But then, loyalty has always been her Achilles heel.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/26/17 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The comments are very bad and I wonder if she feels stuck because if she was looking to leave she wouldn't say anything. There are rumors that Scott Drew may look to leave Baylor's men's basketball program. Whether its true or not, who knows, but Mulkey saying this stuff makes it hard for someone to hire her. At least Drew isn't saying stuff in public that would disqualify him from many school's coaching searches if he does want the option of leaving.

Thing is even if she left I doubt she could recruit at this level in a new geographic area without the strong in state talent Texas affords. So she is going down fighting to keep Baylor recruiting at an elite level. It would be very interesting because have any recent women's basketball coaches left a school while they were a top 5-10 program for another school? We have seen coaches build elite programs but in recent memory have any left one elite program and built another? Mulkey's probably stuck there now and given all of their administration's issues, they are a perfect fit for each other.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/26/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Has anyone taken the time to think about what is really happening? I'm sure Kim is fed up with the over saturated news cycle of negativity directed at Baylor. I have read comments about "52" rapes being covered up. That and many other things now associated with this story are complete fabrications. The things that many people have taken as facts are really statements made by plaintiffs attorneys in civil lawsuits seeking money damages. Those are in no way shape or form proven factual statements. What we know is that a former football player raped a Baylor student. He is serving a long prison sentence for that disgusting criminal act. We know that there was another accusation involving 2 football players that was investigated by law enforcement and due to the alleged victim's own actions, the case could not be prosecuted. Everything else is a vague collection of he said she said that we are spoon fed by plaintiffs lawyers to stir up public outrage and increase their settlement outlook.

Kim Mulkey could have used more subtle language, but that is not who she is. As usual, people want to believe the worst and although she has never given anyone a reason to doubt her character, they will write her statements off and ridicule her in favor of blindly following public opinion based on unsubstantiated reporting.

Outstanding post. Based on penetrating realism about the distorted narratives that professionally partisan plaintiff's lawyers intentionally create, especially sleazebag negligence lawyers.

I haven't followed the specific claims about Baylor in the press, but I know for a stone cold general fact that there is nothing more fake, phony, fictional, exaggerated and even slanderous than the allegations in a plaintiff's lawyer unverified complaint, particularly certain negligence lawyers. Any reporter who takes such lawsuit allegations (or damage claims) as fact is either a naive fool, a tool, or a partisan with a propaganda agenda.
scullyfu

PostPosted: 02/26/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
"My daughter went to school here" ... yes because you were the head coach of the basketball team she played on

this may be incorrect, but i think its true. it seems to be some sort of tradition that the university staff's kids don't pay for their education; that's one of the perks for the staff.

PostPosted: 02/26/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
Has anyone taken the time to think about what is really happening? I'm sure Kim is fed up with the over saturated news cycle of negativity directed at Baylor. I have read comments about "52" rapes being covered up. That and many other things now associated with this story are complete fabrications. The things that many people have taken as facts are really statements made by plaintiffs attorneys in civil lawsuits seeking money damages. Those are in no way shape or form proven factual statements. What we know is that a former football player raped a Baylor student. He is serving a long prison sentence for that disgusting criminal act. We know that there was another accusation involving 2 football players that was investigated by law enforcement and due to the alleged victim's own actions, the case could not be prosecuted. Everything else is a vague collection of he said she said that we are spoon fed by plaintiffs lawyers to stir up public outrage and increase their settlement outlook.

Outstanding post. Based on penetrating realism about the distorted narratives that professionally partisan plaintiff's lawyers intentionally create, especially sleazebag negligence lawyers.

I haven't followed the specific claims about Baylor in the press, but I know for a stone cold general fact that there is nothing more fake, phony, fictional, exaggerated and even slanderous than the allegations in a plaintiff's lawyer unverified complaint, particularly certain negligence lawyers. Any reporter who takes such lawsuit allegations (or damage claims) as fact is either a naive fool, a tool, or a partisan with a propaganda agenda.

It's convenient you both choose to ignore the school's own investigative report.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/26/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Baylor coach Art Briles and his staff worked to keep player misconduct quiet and handled discipline internally, new info released by the school in a legal filing Thursday shows.

The filing came in response to a libel lawsuit by former director of operations Colin Shillinglaw, filed against the school. The university called Briles’s team culture a disciplinary “black hole,” where “reports of misconduct such as drug use, physical assault, domestic violence, brandishing of guns, indecent exposure and academic fraud disappeared,” according to ESPN.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/02/02/art-briles-baylor-scandal-player-misconduct-update

Yeah, just overreaction from lawyers. Nothing to see here at all. Rolling Eyes

Howee

PostPosted: 02/26/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:

Ummm, NO. "...just knock 'em in the face" crossed that boundary, of sterling character. She did NOT need to say anything, certainly nothing so ignorant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: