RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wiggins: WNBA's 'harmful' culture of bullying, jealousy
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 02/20/17 11:00 am    ::: Wiggins: WNBA's 'harmful' culture of bullying, jealousy Reply Reply with quote

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-wigginsside-20170217-story.html

Quote:
Wiggins, a four-time All-American at Stanford, asserts she was targeted for harassment from the time she was drafted by Minnesota because she is heterosexual and a nationally popular figure, of whom many other players were jealous.

“Me being heterosexual and straight, and being vocal in my identity as a straight woman was huge,” Wiggins said. “I would say 98 percent of the women in the WNBA are gay women. It was a conformist type of place. There was a whole different set of rules they (the other players) could apply.

“There was a lot of jealousy and competition, and we’re all fighting for crumbs,” Wiggins said. “The way I looked, the way I played – those things contributed to the tension.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/20/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

**Giving this article the sideeye**

What kind of proof ya got? As far as league performance, its not the financial juggernaut that the NBA is but its making progress, slow, deliberate, painstaking, hard fought progress.
zune69

PostPosted: 02/20/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
There is no published data on the percentage of WNBA players who are gay. In a 10-team league that employs 120 players annually, at least 12 current and former players have come out publicly in various forms of media

Quote:
Of the league as a whole, Wiggins said, “Nobody cares about the WNBA. Viewership is minimal. Ticket sales are very low. They give away tickets and people don’t come to the game.”

Last edited by zune69 on 02/20/17 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/20/17 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. What a POS she is. I had no idea.

sigur3

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"I would say 98 percent of the women in the WNBA are gay women."

Um...no?

zvyn3

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If 98% of the players in the league were gay, that would leave room for only 3 straight players. And there are a lot more players that I know for sure are straight than ones I know are gay. A pretty ignorant thing to say on her part. For being a Stanford graduate, she's not very informed.

petrel

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she thinks that there's some sport out there that's immune to jealousy, "othering", and prima-donna behavior, she's got another think coming. None of the four big male sports (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) are immune, why should the WNBA be immune?

Furthermore, there's not going to be some bastion of straight sports either. Volleyball's players might be more feminine in some people's eyes, but it's more likely that those players are more closeted.

sigur3

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well this seems to be going over well.

Quote:
Mistie Bass
‏@A_Phoenix_Born
And let's be honest here...in the world of sports (and all women filled occupations) when isn't their jealousy??? 😂😂😂 #dontbebitterbebetter

Quote:
WomensBasketball247
‏@womensbball247
The B word will float around during games but i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with your sexuality and more to do with just being a B...

Quote:
Danielle Robinson
‏@justDROB
98 percent tho? Tried it.

Quote:
Devereaux Peters
‏@MsPeters14
Devereaux Peters Retweeted WomensBasketball247
The next Down and Dirty will be about this article. And PLEASE BELIEVE you gone get the REAL deal.

Quote:
Dearica Marie Hamby
‏@dearicamarie
Dang, hope I made the 2% cut 😂😂😂

Quote:
Tiffany Mitchell
‏@TiffMitch25
How i feel reading the recent article about heterosexuals being bullied in the WNBA .. 🤔🤔 ["Have A Seat"]

Quote:
ODYSSEY SIMS ‏@Lucky_Lefty0
@TiffMitch25 😂😂😂😂😂

Quote:
crystal langhorne
‏@crystalanghorne
crystal langhorne Retweeted WomensBasketball247
Never!!!! The article is just disappointing

Quote:
Devereaux Peters ‏@MsPeters14
Bria Hartley, Mistie Bass, Dearrica Hamby & Taylor Hill have had babies in the past year. So according to the numbers, I identify as gay now

Last edited by sigur3 on 02/20/17 1:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
zune69

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see where some players wouldn't be too fond of Wiggins.She was a "Rah Rah" over exuberant player.That can become tiresome as a teammate.When you jump up and down in the opponents face after scoring a basket or drawing an offensive foul,you're going to rub some people the wrong way.Wiggins' appears to have a very draining personality.

Last edited by zune69 on 02/20/17 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
AAOK423

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, this article gives legitimacy to all the assholes who constantly talk crap about the WNBA. Its unfortunate. I know every player probably has their own experience with the league but as a WNBA fan this is hard to hear. I like the WNBA often more than the NBA for several reasons but one of the reasons was I liked the perceived culture of the league. From the outside looking in, there seemed to be a certain respect and comradery among the players. A "we're in this together" attitude around the league. At the very least a "Competition is competition but I'm not going to be a jerk to you when the game/practice is over" attitude. Maybe my image of the WNBA is idealistic and completely wrong. If Wiggins was bullied because of her sexuality, that's horrible. No game should come before someones emotional and mental well being and no person should be treated differently because of their orientation, race, or religion. These are things that shouldn't need to be said. Again my assumption of the WNBA was that they were a more mature and tolerate league then many male leagues...but according to Wiggins that may be a very wrong thing to assume, so maybe these are things that do need to be told to these players (by who though, I don't know). I wonder if other straight players will have anything to say about this....

Edit: Welp, seems like other players don't quite agree with Wiggins lol.

Last edited by AAOK423 on 02/20/17 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
RP

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Wiggins said she is writing an autobiography with the working title, “The WNBA Diaries,” based on her journals as a player.

sigur3

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
Quote:
Wiggins said she is writing an autobiography with the working title, “The WNBA Diaries,” based on her journals as a player.

"I was bullied for being straight! Read more in my upcoming book!"

lvf08

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very disappointing comments from her. Sad to read.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched Wiggins MN portion of her career up-close and personal; so as a fan looking in my observation was:

Found her to be very much an enigma. Fans mostly saw the really outgoing, extroverted person but she in fact seems to have a very shy, introverted side that most folks didn’t see. Saw both sides from day 1. Never saw or heard of any push for Lynx players to be “like men” Rolling Eyes

Candice came into the league animated and very, if not overly demonstrative all too often for some fans AND players.
Point blank, IMO, other players were less jealous and most often irritated with her due to on court antics. She was tenacious on defense but what got into it w/ some players, because some might have felt were cheap shots.
I can think of 4 particular games right off the top where different players during the game and/or in the handshake line (a few no hand shake) wanted to knock her block off ; because she could be a hack & cheap shot artist.

So I can understand maybe, what she felt from her prospective, but the reality might/must be what was hard for her to handle.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shameful self-promotion via lesbophobia.
I wonder how Tara VanDerveer feels about her now.
If the WNBA was so awful, why did she play 8 seasons?

Last edited by Carol Anne on 02/20/17 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
hangtyme24

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yea she tried it with the 98% lol

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She complained about the WNBA's lack of attention and pay, but she's going to try beach volleyball at 30+?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
She complained about the WNBA's lack of attention and pay, but she's going to try beach volleyball at 30+?

That's prime age for volleyball. Kerri Walsh Jennings is 38.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

That's prime age for volleyball. Kerri Walsh Jennings is 38.

Not to be getting your start...

Ypu can definitely play at a high level longer than you can in a sport like basketball, but that comes from years of experience being able to compensate for the decline in athleticism.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

And also, if no one cares about the WNBA, who is going to buy her book?

shontay33

PostPosted: 02/20/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I cant really comment on her personal experience because I was not in the locker room with her or any WNBA player. But there are quite a few WNBA players who are gay. I have also heard from people who have worked for WNBA teams that some players who have boyfriends before the season starts, begin to date women by the end of the season. (Which is their business by the way and also if I recall, Chantel Anderson wrote a book or blog on her experience on the WNBA as well and it touched on the subject of
WNBA players and sexuality).

One thing Candace is correct on is that may teams do give away lots of tickets. I do believe that a majority of the players are gay but want to keep their personal lives personal. But Candace makes it seems like its a situation where you are forced to be gay or "else". I don't think this is true at all. The players don't want to work in an environment that causes separation on and off the court.

The statements that she made fall right in with those idiots who assume that every woman who plays basketball is gay which . If the environment was so bad, then why did't she quit and just play overseas?

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/20/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what VanDerveer thinks of this.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can believe that Candice Wiggins was bullied. I can believe that there were lesbian players who treated her badly. All sports cultures, like all non-sports cultures, have bad people in them. All groups have bad people in them.

But the unqualified attack that Wiggins has launched will, in my view, hurt every lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or questioning female athlete. It goes far beyond the WNBA. Wiggins wants to play beach volleyball. What she's done will hurt lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning women and girls in the volleyball world.

Wiggins' statements will be ammunition for every sexist, homophobic bigot and especially for every sexist, homophobic bigot who wants to trash women's sports.

Candice Wiggins could have found a way of talking about painful experiences she's had without using them to present a wide-ranging smear.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I posted this not realizing it had already been. Mods pls delete other thread. I have so many positive thoughts about Wiggins. I'll elaborate more later. But for her sake I regret that her experiences weren't more positive. I really thought she loved playing in NY. I'm also wondering if her remarks and quotes are accurate and in context.

If so, Bob made some excellent points above about the manner in which the orientation of players is discussed. And I have to add, very disappointing because this is not the person I thought she was. Again, I'm wondering if all the quotes are accurate.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she's heterosexual and straight? isn't it given that heterosexual = straight?

I don't know, but something seems off with her explanation of why she quit the league. I've never heard a whisper about such a cabal of gay women in the league. has anyone? and her 98% of the league being gay also seems high.

the way she played? how about your non-stop trash-talking motor mouth. perhaps that was the issue other players had with you.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: