RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

East vs West - 2/17/17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/16/17 7:01 am    ::: East vs West - 2/17/17 Reply Reply with quote

NBA All-Star Celebrity Game
New Orleans, LA - 7:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN (Mark Jones & Michelle Beadle; Cassidy Hubbarth, sideline)

Video:
http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index?rb=true&watchsrc=true&id=2948245&_slug_=nba-allstar-celebrity-game

Michael Smith’s West Team
Miles Brown (actor)
Tom Cavanagh (actor)
Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavericks owner)
Baron Davis (NBA legend)
Andy Grammer (recording artist)
Jiang Jinfu (actor, model)
Anthony Mackie (actor)
Romeo Miller (actor, recording artist)
Hasan Minhaj (actor, comedian)
Master P (actor, recording artist)
Candace Parker (Los Angeles Sparks)
Aarón Sánchez (celebrity chef)

Coaches:
Michael Smith (ESPN host)
Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors)
Rocsi Diaz (television personality)

Jemele Hill’s East Team
Brandon Armstrong (former NBA D-League player and social media star)
Win Butler (musician)
Nick Cannon (actor, recording artist)
Rachel DeMita (NBA2K TV personality)
Ansel Elgort (actor, recording artist)
Marc Lasry (Milwaukee Bucks owner)
Caleb McLaughlin (actor)
Peter Rosenberg (media personality)
Oscar Schmidt (Basketball legend)
Lindsay Whalen (WNBA player)
Jason Williams (NBA legend)
Kris Wu (recording artist)

Coaches:
Jemele Hill (ESPN host)
Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors)
Fat Joe (recording artist)

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/16/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw on fb that Nneka is going to play aswell. They probably asked her to replace someone last minute because most of the time its only 2 wnba players

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 02/17/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nice to see 3 of our players although i've always thought this celebrity game is silly.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 02/17/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indeed, it is good to see 3 of them but I kinda don't like them participating. All Star games in general often leave much to be desired (A whole lot of isolation and no defense...good grief Romeo). The W players are the only active pros and we want eyes on our game but you can't really go hard because you need to stay healthy and then you look whack when you don't go hard. I think the best showing we had was when Diggins and Arnie Duncan (former US Education Secretary) decided to play some very nice team ball. Hopefully the second half is better. Go W! Whay is quietly being Whay and my Sparks, as much as I love them, I don't know why those very skilled post players wanna stand there and shoot threes all game...*sigh*

Last edited by WfanFrJmp on 02/17/17 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 02/17/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker and Ogwumike are bricking threes in an attempt to catch up. The West is whay behind.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 02/17/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here comes some semblance of defense...Nneka on the boards

Last edited by WfanFrJmp on 02/17/17 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
sigur3

PostPosted: 02/17/17 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this continues to be the dumbest basketball event of the year

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/17/17 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched a little of it. What a brutal watch.

PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I miss the 3-on-3 tournament.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I switched the TV on mid-Q3, just in time to see Parker/Ogwumike brick a trio of threes in quick succession. I know it's hard to shine in such a shambles of an event, but it's always slightly depressing that the talented, exceptional basketball players from the WNBA never really stand out during these games. That element isn't great for 'selling the league'. Casual observers end up thinking "those girls aren't any better than D-list actors, C-list rappers and TV chefs".

PostPosted: 02/17/17 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I switched the TV on mid-Q3, just in time to see Parker/Ogwumike brick a trio of threes in quick succession. I know it's hard to shine in such a shambles of an event, but it's always slightly depressing that the talented, exceptional basketball players from the WNBA never really stand out during these games. That element isn't great for 'selling the league'. Casual observers end up thinking "those girls aren't any better than D-list actors, C-list rappers and TV chefs".

Ditto!

The only time I was actually proud of the way the W represented was when Diggins was there. Even the shooting contest is annoying because they typically do not choose our best shooters (maybe because most people are overseas at this time) and they often have the women start with a short short...like they are giving them a "handicap" Confused Whalen provided a sliver of sunshine tonight...perhaps guards are a better pick for this event. Part of it is that they actually get the ball in their hands before the wannabee/use to be ballers start iso-ing.

I know we want and need exposure for the league but does this "exhibition" end up helping or hurting us?

At any rate, this was a nice interview and may have served us just as good, if not better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLvjug_Ces0

sigur3

PostPosted: 02/17/17 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

I know we want and need exposure for the league but does this "exhibition" end up helping or hurting us?

I can't see how it would be helping. Who honestly watches this game and says to themselves, "Wait, there's such thing as a WNBA? Wow, I didn't know that! I think I'll watch it this summer!" or "Wow, these professional basketball players are really destroying these other random people! I need to catch one of their games!"

And that's for the portions of the event that are visible, when there isn't a pointless interview taking up half the screen.

jmpenn90

PostPosted: 02/17/17 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Well I don't really feel like they get much of a chance to shine. Most of the guys take poor shots quickly and don't pass to them often enough when they are in a good position to score. It is like that most years. They have a few good moves but are usually ignored for the most part.

kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 02/18/17 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

game was so lame but it was awesome seeing Whalen kick some sweet passes. She probably got at least 10pts?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/18/17 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmpenn90 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Well I don't really feel like they get much of a chance to shine. Most of the guys take poor shots quickly and don't pass to them often enough when they are in a good position to score. It is like that most years. They have a few good moves but are usually ignored for the most part.

I'm not really blaming them for it. I just don't think it's good for the general impression of the WNBA that their top players are in this game every year and they're just 'there' - right alongside all these other random nobodies. It plays into the old cliche of the fat guy on his couch who used to play in high school, saying "C'mon man, I ain't watching the WNBA. I could beat these chicks."

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: