RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Where are the Monarchs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/07/17 8:44 am    ::: Where are the Monarchs? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article143240174.html

Quote:
Week after week, month after month, they repeatedly expressed interest in acquiring another WNBA franchise, introduced former Monarchs at various functions, often mentioned their daughters and the desire for a gender balance in the area’s professional sports landscape.

PostPosted: 04/07/17 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given recent comments I wonder if this is the team losing interest or the league not being interested in expansion. Lacob and Randive both seem very interested in adding to the league and I do think many talent distribution issues could be helped simply by expansion. I am curious.

PostPosted: 04/07/17 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Women outnumber men, and with more females becoming involved in sports by the hour, common sense suggests that if you snooze, you lose.

Women playing sports has not translated into women watching women play sports. And WNBA teams are mostly unprofitable, so snoozing is not likely causing Ranadive to lose out on money, or lose out to another potential WNBA franchise investor.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/07/17 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While Warriors owner Joe Lacob has a past connection with women's hoops (ABL, San Jose Lasers), he is more interested (at the moment) of his Warriors team and the Chase Center Arena, currently under construction in downtown San Francisco. It is scheduled to open in 2019.

If he wants to start or buy a WNBA team, he's going to wait until then.

He did, however, have an interest in purchasing the LA Sparks when it was up for sale until Magic Johnson and his business partners bought them.

PostPosted: 04/07/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm guessing both these guys are just waiting for a team to become available, rather than going down the expansion route.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/07/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the league is waiting to see how certain struggling franchises do over the next few seasons. Namely Atlanta, Dallas & Chicago.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/07/17 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think the league is waiting to see how certain struggling franchises do over the next few seasons. Namely Atlanta, Dallas & Chicago.

Is dallas really a struggling franchise after 1 season ? Question

PostPosted: 04/07/17 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Is dallas really a struggling franchise after 1 season ? Question

The team needs to improve for more fans to show up. Diggins & company need to get themselves into the playoffs to get notice in the Dallas area.

I'm actually the most worried for Atlanta. Playing two seasons somewhere else is going to kill their fan base. No Angel this season doesn't help.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/07/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish I could tell you that you were wrong toad455. I'll get back to you when I come up with something.

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/07/17 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Given recent comments I wonder if this is the team losing interest or the league not being interested in expansion. Lacob and Randive both seem very interested in adding to the league and I do think many talent distribution issues could be helped simply by expansion. I am curious.

Has anyone else heard of friction between the NBA and non-NBA owners of the league? I could see there being issues for the non-NBA owners if two ownership groups who have a capacity to lose money on their teams come in as expansion teams. Also, in the Ranadive case, it's unclear whether he would own the team himself or if it would be part of the larger Kings organization since unsurprisingly, some of his partners are less than pleased with his Kings work so far.
toad455

PostPosted: 04/07/17 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure the WNBA would prefer it if, let's say, Atlanta & Chicago were NBA owned teams. Dream move to San Francisco & the Bulls take ownership of the Sky. Though I believe the Sky ownership were close to making a profit last season.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/07/17 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Ranadive owns the team, it will likely be a disaster. He's the worst owner in the NBA, and the Kings' organization is the worst, top to bottom.

It does make sense, though to have a team in Golden 1 Arena to fill all those summer dates.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: