RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stiles 'speechless ... stunned' by unveiling of statue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/13/17 8:24 am    ::: Stiles 'speechless ... stunned' by unveiling of statue Reply Reply with quote

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2017/02/12/stiles-speechless-stunned-unveiling-statue/97521764/

Quote:
She knew a statue was going to be unveiled on the south side of JQH Arena, paying tribute to her incredible playing career for the Missouri State women’s basketball team.

But until she helped pull the tarp off her bronze likeness, she didn’t know what pose was used as a guide.

PostPosted: 02/13/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad they got this done while she was still the all time leading scorer.

That's well deserved.

That unvieling is the kind of thing ESPN should have covered. It's a big deal what she did.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/13/17 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for Stiles and props to Missouri State and its donors. Stiles was a courageous player and leader, and was the avatar of "carrying a team on one's back." I have some regrets that Plum will break her record.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/13/17 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Good for Stiles and props to Missouri State and its donors. Stiles was a courageous player and leader, and was the avatar of "carrying a team on one's back." I have some regrets that Plum will break her record.

I'd say Plum has been carrying her team as well.

It's basically a given that you have to be largely a one-woman show carrying your team in order to contend for career scoring record. Can't really happen if you're on a team with lots of talent and balanced scoring.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/13/17 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing against Plum, who is fun to watch, but I was hoping Stiles would remain the all-time leader.

I saw Stiles play in person once, at RU, in the 2001 2nd round, the year she led SWMS to the FF. What a performance. She left the previous game, against Toledo, after running into a pick, then came back to score 32 vs RU on 8-16fg and 16-19 from the line. She took a beating all game long and she has a slight build. I left with great respect for her.

Stiles had less to work with, imo, than Plum.

PostPosted: 02/14/17 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nobody can replace Jackie in my mind....her and her team taking down Duke and UW in the regionals so many years ago still stands as one of my fondest sports memories....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: