RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Your 10 legit FF contenders?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/07/17 4:25 pm    ::: Your 10 legit FF contenders? Reply Reply with quote

Are there 10?

PostPosted: 02/07/17 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I count 14 that seem legit to me:

Baylor
Duke
Florida State
Maryland
Mississippi State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Oregon State
South Carolina
Stanford
Tennessee
Texas
UCONN
Washington

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/07/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes...below UConn look at the upsets...look at the margins...you got a lot of good teams who could make a run...last year you had everything unpredictable but the end...I have 15.

The Elephants

UConn - Still undefeated still the champions until defeated

Baylor - Upset by Texas but I still have them here.

The Top Contenders

South Carolina - I'm not Enamored with them...but they win and do very well but they don't have the big game look to them...Losing to Tennessee getting by with a little help from the Ref against Miss State.

Maryland - Unwise seeding be damned, this team has a lot of bullets in the chambers. Played UConn well.

Florida St. - Kinda slipped off some radars after being knocked off by NC State but I think they got the tools to get not just to the f4 but the title game.

Mississippi St. - Honestly Think they are a little overrated...But 1 loss and a spot in the 1 line has its perks. Has to prove they have the 6th gear for Post Season tho...there are 6s and 7s who could certainly crash the party...The fairy godmother's union is in full effect this year as it was last year.

Notre Dame: Been taking steps back but still very dangerous...if not MORE dangerous when forgotten.

Laying in the weeds, ready to pounce:

Stanford - despite the loss to UCLA...they have a good balanced attack and can wreak havoc on the bracket...clear contender

Duke - Hate McCallie, Hate their system but they're racking up wins and can't go against their track record, I'll take em before an Ohio St

Oregon St. - Can the Big Orange Beavers go full frontal one more time and hit the F4? They are leading a pac 12 that is LEGIT and going to pull more than 1 upset. Have got to have the eyes on them.

UCLA - Had them on an extensive List of Cinderellas but the win over Stanford puts them here...for now. I can see it tho..lots of Balance...could pull a UW could even do more than that.

Cinderellas:

Tennessee: They are inconsistent win when they feel like it...but when they feel like it seems to be when the lights are brightest...Can see it...made the E8 with bells on after a year where they needed a big Conference tourney run just to ensure they made the dance...Can NOT count out.

Texas: So the committee wants to touch themselves over SOS...here ya go...rough record due to a near suicidal Non Conference Schedule. Beat Baylor almost had the next tier up but needs to show some consistency and a good draw (aka Not drawing UConn) but a team to be feared.

NC State: The upset kids...yes they have bad losses and a poor SOS and will have a low seed...but if there's another UW in the mix...it'd be them...has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they're fearless and wont be blinded by the names across from them and they know their name on the front means something. You have marks on the side of your plane of Duke, Louisville, ND, and FSU...you make this list...Period.

UW: Best Player good record, wild card in Oshaor but I wouldn't put them much higher despite a better seed this year...I see them as a bit one dimensional...but are they dangerous...YOU BET. Legit contender...Yes.

The big thing here is there are no mids...but any Power 5 (AAC doesn't count aside from that one obvious one) team who gets a Bid short of maybe a last team in 10 seed IMHO has a shot to make the 16...therefore 15 teams to make it to the 4...this may have the same result (but its not a fete accompli that it was last year) but it wont have the usual suspects...there will be great battles and no matter how much ESPN wants it...UConn is not bulletproof this year.

Lets put it this way I can add 5 fringes in Ohio St, Louisville, Cuse, Kentucky and Michigan and say 20 out of 64 need to be looked at and I wouldn't be put in a straitjacket.

Any Power 5 is dangerous...don't trust the DePauls, Marquettes and USFs of the world but they can't be scoffed at...This tourney will be a lot of fun...if ESPN will show the games and not make insults like they did last year

Last edited by Happycappie25 on 02/07/17 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/07/17 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

b1207 wrote:
I count 14 that seem legit to me:

Baylor
Duke
Florida State
Maryland
Mississippi State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Oregon State
South Carolina
Stanford
Tennessee
Texas
UCONN
Washington

I swapped OSU for UCLA and added upset kids NC State as a potential Cinderella but yes it's that many...see detailed post above (issue with posting at same time!)

PostPosted: 02/07/17 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty much agree with HCappie. It also depends a huge amount on matchups. Most of these teams do better/worse depending on the type of opponent... strong running, pressing, athleticism, 3 pt shooting, post play, etc...

I would add Ohio State to the Cinderellas. They have a huge amount of talent if they ever put it all together.

- Amanda Gorman
Durantula

PostPosted: 02/07/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My 10:

1. UConn
2. Baylor
3. Notre Dame
4. South Carolina
5. Maryland
6. Florida State
7. UCLA
8. Washington
9. Texas
10. Ohio State

There are definitely more than 10 though this year so that makes things this March maybe a little more exciting than past years. Then again last year you had two Cinderellas make it when no one expected so it would be fitting for this year people to expect chaos and the final 4 to be all 1 seeds. I know I am omitting Mississippi State but I just think some other teams that are ranked lower may have more upside. Clearly they have produced where other more talented teams have not.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/07/17 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
My 10:

1. UConn
2. Baylor
3. Notre Dame
4. South Carolina
5. Maryland
6. Florida State
7. UCLA
8. Washington
9. Texas
10. Ohio State

There are definitely more than 10 though this year so that makes things this March maybe a little more exciting than past years. Then again last year you had two Cinderellas make it when no one expected so it would be fitting for this year people to expect chaos and the final 4 to be all 1 seeds. I know I am omitting Mississippi State but I just think some other teams that are ranked lower may have more upside. Clearly they have produced where other more talented teams have not.

I like the list but I'd substitute OSU for tOSU.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/07/17 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Florida St. - Kinda slipped off some radars after being knocked off by Duke but I think they got the tools to get not just to the f4 but the title game.

I like your analysis, HappyC, but FSU beat Duke by 24 so I think you meant "knocked off by NC State".

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/07/17 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
Florida St. - Kinda slipped off some radars after being knocked off by Duke but I think they got the tools to get not just to the f4 but the title game.

I like your analysis, HappyC, but FSU beat Duke by 24 so I think you meant "knocked off by NC State".

yup thanks

PostPosted: 02/08/17 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mine, in no order:

UConn
S. Carolina
Maryland
Baylor
FSU
Texas
ND
Duke
MS ST

PostPosted: 02/08/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Mine, in no order:

UConn
S. Carolina
Maryland
Baylor
FSU
Texas
ND
Duke
MS ST

This is a great list! It wouldn't surprise me if any of those teams won the NC, with the exception of Duke as Coach P is the weakest of all the coaches.

dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 02/08/17 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think only 8 teams have a realistic chance:
UConn
Baylor
Florida State
Maryland
Mississippi State
Notre Dame
South Carolina
Texas

SocksTerp

PostPosted: 02/08/17 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Yes...below UConn look at the upsets...look at the margins...you got a lot of good teams who could make a run...last year you had everything unpredictable but the end...I have 15.

The Elephants

UConn - Still undefeated still the champions until defeated

Baylor - Upset by Texas but I still have them here.

The Top Contenders

South Carolina - I'm not Enamored with them...but they win and do very well but they don't have the big game look to them...Losing to Tennessee getting by with a little help from the Ref against Miss State.

Maryland - Unwise seeding be damned, this team has a lot of bullets in the chambers. Played UConn well.

Florida St. - Kinda slipped off some radars after being knocked off by NC State but I think they got the tools to get not just to the f4 but the title game.

Mississippi St. - Honestly Think they are a little overrated...But 1 loss and a spot in the 1 line has its perks. Has to prove they have the 6th gear for Post Season tho...there are 6s and 7s who could certainly crash the party...The fairy godmother's union is in full effect this year as it was last year.

Notre Dame: Been taking steps back but still very dangerous...if not MORE dangerous when forgotten.

Laying in the weeds, ready to pounce:

Stanford - despite the loss to UCLA...they have a good balanced attack and can wreak havoc on the bracket...clear contender

Duke - Hate McCallie, Hate their system but they're racking up wins and can't go against their track record, I'll take em before an Ohio St

Oregon St. - Can the Big Orange Beavers go full frontal one more time and hit the F4? They are leading a pac 12 that is LEGIT and going to pull more than 1 upset. Have got to have the eyes on them.

UCLA - Had them on an extensive List of Cinderellas but the win over Stanford puts them here...for now. I can see it tho..lots of Balance...could pull a UW could even do more than that.

Cinderellas:

Tennessee: They are inconsistent win when they feel like it...but when they feel like it seems to be when the lights are brightest...Can see it...made the E8 with bells on after a year where they needed a big Conference tourney run just to ensure they made the dance...Can NOT count out.

Texas: So the committee wants to touch themselves over SOS...here ya go...rough record due to a near suicidal Non Conference Schedule. Beat Baylor almost had the next tier up but needs to show some consistency and a good draw (aka Not drawing UConn) but a team to be feared.

NC State: The upset kids...yes they have bad losses and a poor SOS and will have a low seed...but if there's another UW in the mix...it'd be them...has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they're fearless and wont be blinded by the names across from them and they know their name on the front means something. You have marks on the side of your plane of Duke, Louisville, ND, and FSU...you make this list...Period.

UW: Best Player good record, wild card in Oshaor but I wouldn't put them much higher despite a better seed this year...I see them as a bit one dimensional...but are they dangerous...YOU BET. Legit contender...Yes.

The big thing here is there are no mids...but any Power 5 (AAC doesn't count aside from that one obvious one) team who gets a Bid short of maybe a last team in 10 seed IMHO has a shot to make the 16...therefore 15 teams to make it to the 4...this may have the same result (but its not a fete accompli that it was last year) but it wont have the usual suspects...there will be great battles and no matter how much ESPN wants it...UConn is not bulletproof this year.

Lets put it this way I can add 5 fringes in Ohio St, Louisville, Cuse, Kentucky and Michigan and say 20 out of 64 need to be looked at and I wouldn't be put in a straitjacket.

Any Power 5 is dangerous...don't trust the DePauls, Marquettes and USFs of the world but they can't be scoffed at...This tourney will be a lot of fun...if ESPN will show the games and not make insults like they did last year

Pretty good analysis.

Phil

PostPosted: 02/08/17 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn
Baylor
Florida State
Louisville

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/08/17 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nm

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/09/17 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm only kind of good at the college game, but here goes 3 tiers of four

likely ff if all goes according to plan

Uconn
Baylor
SC
Maryland

ready to jump in if someone above stumbles

FSU
ND
Oregon ST
Miss ST

top talent can get you places, even inconsistent talent

Washington
Tenn
Ohio St
Texas

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/09/17 4:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I'm only kind of good at the college game, but here goes 3 tiers of four

likely ff if all goes according to plan

Uconn
Baylor
SC
Maryland

ready to jump in if someone above stumbles

FSU
ND
Oregon ST
Miss ST

top talent can get you places, even inconsistent talent

Washington
Tenn
Ohio St
Texas

Watch me get burned here but I'd swap Ohio St for Stanford...the Cardinal despite the UCLA Loss seem poised for a deep run...have talent and seem more motivated...tOSU I'd put on the same tier as Louisville...have pieces to be dangerous but when push comes to shove other teams prevail...all the other teams on your list at least have some sort of big win. Lets put it this way...Buckeyes better pray they don't line up against say an NC State come march LOL

PostPosted: 02/09/17 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
UConn
Baylor
Florida State
Louisville

I think you are misinterpreting this exercise. The OP asked for potential FF teams, not which 4 teams you thought will reach the FF. So unless you are certain that these 4 are the only ones that have a legitimate chance (and that they are fortuitously placed in 4 different regions), you need some backup schools as well. I like the tier approach myself.

Most likely FF:

UConn
Baylor
Maryland
Notre Dame (go ahead, call me a homer)

Teams that have a great chance:

South Carolina
Florida State
Mississippi St.
Oregon St.
Texas

Other potential semifinalists:

Stanford
UCLA
Washington
Tennessee

I just don't see Ohio State, Duke or Louisville making it that far. Tennessee has shown the ability to beat elite teams while OSU has not. Duke has beaten South Carolina, but I just don't trust Coach P's coaching. Louisville seems far too uneven, and Allen is gimpy right now.

Of course I reserve the right to change my opinion as more data becomes available in the next month.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/09/17 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not many people would have picked Syracuse as a likely F4 team last year, but there they were. In my first attempt I wound up with almost 30 teams. I'm working on narrowing it down to 10.

PostPosted: 02/09/17 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Not many people would have picked Syracuse as a likely F4 team last year, but there they were. In my first attempt I wound up with almost 30 teams. I'm working on narrowing it down to 10.

I had this same reaction. If I'd put together a list of ten at this point last year I certainly would have missed three out of four actual FF teams.

To cast a wide enough net to capture everyone with at least as good a chance as Syracuse and Washington had last year, you need more, not fewer, teams. Probably twenty at a minimum.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/09/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

From a list of 30, I'd be confident in picking half that won't make the FF.

PostPosted: 02/09/17 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you are misinterpreting this exercise.

I understood, but I also understand your point,

Yes, unless those four are in separate regions, someone else is guaranteed to make it.

The question was "legitimate contenders"

I'm making a point, possibly very badly, that the question is different than "who might make it to the FF?"

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/09/17 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

I think you are misinterpreting this exercise.

I understood, but I also understand your point,

Yes, unless those four are in separate regions, someone else is guaranteed to make it.

The question was "legitimate contenders"

I'm making a point, possibly very badly, that the question is different than "who might make it to the FF?"

I'm not sure I understand. So you're saying you think those are the only four legitimate contenders? That the four you named are locks?

Seperately, you must not have watched Louisville get its butt kicked badly by Notre Dame on Monday.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a lot of it will depend . On how the bracket and seeds are set up.

Phil

PostPosted: 02/09/17 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. So you're saying you think those are the only four legitimate contenders? That the four you named are locks?

Seperately, you must not have watched Louisville get its butt kicked badly by Notre Dame on Monday.

Not a single one is a lock.

Each one of them has a team, that if they play their A game, is likely to make it to the FF. Even if their opponents play their A game.

Many other teams might get to the FF, and almost certainly, some will, but it will take their opponents playing below their best game.

That's what I mean by being a legitimate FF team - the results is in your hands.

As an example, Syracuse deserves kudos for making the FF last year, but they made it, partly because SC didn't play to their potential, not because Syracuse's A game is better than East coast SC's A game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: