RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

American athletic conference Preseason polls
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:33 am    ::: American athletic conference Preseason polls Reply Reply with quote

Head coaches poll is out.

UCONN is tops followed by USF and Temple.

UCONNs Collier is POY

http://theamerican.org/news/2017/10/13/WBB_1013172052.aspx?path=

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/16/17 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So somebody thought there are 5 better players in the conference than Katie Lou Samuelson.... Confused

LibFan25

PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't know if its me or not but i just feel like people are still sleeping on Gabby Williams. She is the heart and Soul of that UCONN team.

Temple's Alliya Butts is out for the year with injury, thats a big blow.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
So somebody thought there are 5 better players in the conference than Katie Lou Samuelson.... Confused

Maybe they had enough backlash for voting her NFOY.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lou is 3rd best of the Husky 3, the only thing she has going for her is her scoring, and that's because Geno ran more sets for her then any other Husky last year. Williams, Wilson, and Mitchell are the three to see this year.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
i don't know if its me or not but i just feel like people are still sleeping on Gabby Williams. She is the heart and Soul of that UCONN team.

What prompted this remark- that she wasn't voted POY?

PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Completely BS and your resentment is showing. Ask Geno who he thinks he wants taking big shots, just watch the video from the AAC live on Facebook. Watch the Maryland game, they were not sets, she doesn't need sets to score. The fact is she can score either way, but frankly you are missing how she makes her teammates better through passing and her court vision.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/17/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Lou is 3rd best of the Husky 3, the only thing she has going for her is her scoring, and that's because Geno ran more sets for her then any other Husky last year. Williams, Wilson, and Mitchell are the three to see this year.

I disagree 110%. Lou is the best player on the team. Its evident by what that team looked like while she wasn't on the floor.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/17/17 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

I disagree 110%. Lou is the best player on the team. Its evident by what that team looked like while she wasn't on the floor.

Same could have been said when Williams and Collier wasn't on the floor.
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/17/17 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Occ cannot take you seriously as you have dissed KLS from the get go.
Bart is correct. Geno would leave KLS in the court to keep the calm, she inbounds because she makes great decisions and is always involved when a play needs to be made. Gabby and KLS are the heart of the team, I would add Kia in there too as all 3 want to win over everything else. So many easy open baskets at the rim because of those 3 players.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/17/17 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Nah, I watched every minute of every UCONN game last season. Lou is the best all around player on that team. But I agree to disagree.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/17/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Nah, I watched every minute of every UCONN game last season. Lou is the best all around player on that team. But I agree to disagree.

let me guess because she scores the most point? was sick vs Maryland but had a good game? because she's 6'3? because she hit 10 3's in a game? Geno doesn't run sets for Lou, but a few times she would come off that curl screen to get going to the basket. We can disagree, but IMO Williams i what makes Uconn so dangerous, I like calling Lou LouCOnn, its fun and some one even had a poster that said LouConn when she signed her NLI, I don't have it out for her, I don't have resentment for her like that junkie keeps saying, I just don't see anything that makes her better then the other 2 huskies, or makes her NPOY.
LibFan25

PostPosted: 10/17/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

What prompted this remark- that she wasn't voted POY?

yes i thought she should of won POY last year, i know she doesn't have the numbers like Collier and KLS do but she was the glue and i thought she of got recognize for it

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/17/17 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn is fortunate to have three AA's in KLS, GW and NC. I'd pick KLS as the overall best player and the most important player, simply because she's the best shooter by a good margin and the best 3pt shooter by a wide margin.

I'd say UConn could remove Williams or Collier from the lineup without too much effect by replacing them with Walker or Stevens. However, there is no one on the team who can come close to matching KLS's 119 3FG's last season, which was the second best in UConn history.

KLS, unlike KML, is not just a catch and shoot arc hanger. She's a pretty explosive driver for 6-3 and has very competent and ambidextrous post moves.

That said, they're a very talented trio, each in her own ways.
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/18/17 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So one posters post just confirms everything I said. Just can't help themselves. The fact that sets are run for a player shows that a coach actually feels that player should get sets run for them as they know they will get a score out of it Rolling Eyes

IMO I agree with Glenn great points. I also think Gabby is vital as she like KLS are great passers and those other points in the paint don't come without either Gabby or KLS being involved, attracting the defensive attention, making the right decisions and making great passes to get others easy lay ups or open shots.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/18/17 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn is fortunate to have three AA's in KLS, GW and NC. I'd pick KLS as the overall best player and the most important player, simply because she's the best shooter by a good margin and the best 3pt shooter by a wide margin.

I'd say UConn could remove Williams or Collier from the lineup without too much effect by replacing them with Walker or Stevens. However, there is no one on the team who can come close to matching KLS's 119 3FG's last season, which was the second best in UConn history.

KLS, unlike KML, is not just a catch and shoot arc hanger. She's a pretty explosive driver for 6-3 and has very competent and ambidextrous post moves.

KLS shot 42% from 3 last season while Collier shot 43% and Nurse shot 46% (after a horrible 1st half of the season). But KLS took more attempts, 283 to 208 for Collier and Nurse combined. So KLS is the best 3 pt shooter IMO but not but a wide margin.

As for 2 point shooting, KLS was 140/280, a very good 50%. Williams was 217/369 for 59% and Collier was a stratospheric 288/406 for 71%. Collier also shot at a much higher frequency. Players dream of having a game where they shoot like that. Collier had a season.

Now I have read comments that point to all the "easy" baskets that Collier had. If they were so easy why don't post players make those shots. KLS is 2" taller than Collier and was usually defended by a shorter player and yet she only managed to shoot 50% from 2. I watch a ton of games every season and they are filled with missed shots inside 5 feet. The last player I saw with Collier's efficiency around the basket was Holdsclaw, and that was around 20 years ago. Collier has a fall away shot from 6 feet that she almost never misses.

And even if we adjust KLS's 3 point average from 42% to a 2pt. equivalence of 63% we still see that Collier is the more efficient scorer.

What is amazing is having 4 super-efficient scorers on the same team.

I'd make Williams the most important player on the team because of her defensive skills. When a team is as loaded with highly efficient scorers as CT has, the loss of one isn't critical. But the loss of a defender who can guard anyone effectively, either inside or on the perimeter is irreplaceable. Williams is also a fantastic rebounder and one of the most disruptive defenders I have ever seen. Her 100 steals led the team by a wide margin and don't include the number of passes she deflected to a teammate.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/21/17 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good post players do make those shots. Collier is in her element around the basket but the reason she gets those shots are also due to who she plays with and who is passing her the ball. I am sure both Gabby and KLS could score as much that close to the basket but as they are the ones best at passing the ball Geno puts them in those situations. You cannot compare the shots taken by KLS who can score from anywhere on the floor and is usually taking shots a lot farther from the basket just as you cannot compare wide open 3s with a player who is scoring 3s off the dribble, off of screens, pick and pop etc all usually while they have a defender chasing them. When you have another paint player like Gabby who usually draws the better paint defender, that also makes it easier for the other paint player. We have another guard Nurse who occupies and spreads the floor, these players make it easier for the others on the team. Thus the wide open lay ups which in turn results in accuracy.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/21/17 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

KLS shot 42% from 3 last season while Collier shot 43% and Nurse shot 46% (after a horrible 1st half of the season). But KLS took more attempts, 283 to 208 for Collier and Nurse combined. So KLS is the best 3 pt shooter IMO but not but a wide margin.

As for 2 point shooting, KLS was 140/280, a very good 50%. Williams was 217/369 for 59% and Collier was a stratospheric 288/406 for 71%. Collier also shot at a much higher frequency. Players dream of having a game where they shoot like that. Collier had a season.

Now I have read comments that point to all the "easy" baskets that Collier had. If they were so easy why don't post players make those shots. KLS is 2" taller than Collier and was usually defended by a shorter player and yet she only managed to shoot 50% from 2. I watch a ton of games every season and they are filled with missed shots inside 5 feet. The last player I saw with Collier's efficiency around the basket was Holdsclaw, and that was around 20 years ago. Collier has a fall away shot from 6 feet that she almost never misses.

And even if we adjust KLS's 3 point average from 42% to a 2pt. equivalence of 63% we still see that Collier is the more efficient scorer.

I'd make Williams the most important player on the team because of her defensive skills. When a team is as loaded with highly efficient scorers as CT has, the loss of one isn't critical. But the loss of a defender who can guard anyone effectively, either inside or on the perimeter is irreplaceable. Williams is also a fantastic rebounder and one of the most disruptive defenders I have ever seen. Her 100 steals led the team by a wide margin and don't include the number of passes she deflected to a teammate.

That doesn't even make sense, those comparisons are silly as each play a different role on your team. For one I would take Williams any day over Collier as Williams makes her team better as does KLS who like Williams is very good at passing the ball. How'd her statistics help her in the biggest game of the year where Schaefer actually did put a player on her and had her sit on her left hand - Oh not so good huh.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/21/17 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I suspect it was more like 'f**k, I'm not going to put THREE of them on the first team and anyway that would be disrespecting all these other girls in the conference that we should honor so as to show that our conference isn't all about UConn...' Of course in the end enough of them did vote for her. And who knows, maybe it was just one diehard KLS hater so as to make it not unanimous.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 10/22/17 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

That doesn't even make sense, those comparisons are silly as each play a different role on your team. For one I would take Williams any day over Collier as Williams makes her team better as does KLS who like Williams is very good at passing the ball. How'd her statistics help her in the biggest game of the year where Schaefer actually did put a player on her and had her sit on her left hand - Oh not so good huh.

Shooting is shooting. And no one is a better shooter "by a good margin" compared to a team mate who shot 71%. And a lot of KLS's 3's were made when she was uncovered because her defender was helping with inside defense. Furthermore, Collier often found herself guarded by the opponent's post player because Williams was out on the high post. And suggesting that a 43% 3 point shooter has no outside shot is as silly as pointing out one game where her shot was off. She was 4-11 in that game while KLS was 5-10.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/22/17 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier led the team in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots and was second in steals. She averaged 20+ points a game while averaging 12 shots. Suggesting that a freshman wing could replace her "without too much effect" is beyond comprehension.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/23/17 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NT

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/23/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry but your comparisons are off.

Gabby responsible for 528 pts her assists alone account for 380 pts which is only giving her 2s for those and there were a lot of 3s made but let's just say for argument sake they were only 2s 908pts

KLS responsible for 747 pts her assists alone gave team 236 pts and just counting them as 2s so a total of 983 pts

Collier 754 pts plus 166 pts off if assists giving team 920 pts

Shooting is not shooting not by a long shot. Hitting a negligible number of wide open 3s is not the same as KLS or Nurse for that matter. Never being in charge of creating or breaking the press or inbounding or setting up the offense is also an indicator of who Geno trusts. The other teams game planing around Gabby, KLS and even Nurse show who they respect. Most teams have trouble guarding 1/2 players and are left after that with terrible defender s especially in AAC. The difference is that the wide open lay ups around the basket, the easiest shot by a lot in basketball was due to Uconn's other players.

If shooting was just shooting then there would be many D2 and NAIA players in the W.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/23/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

Gabby responsible for 528 pts her assists alone account for 380 pts which is only giving her 2s for those and there were a lot of 3s made but let's just say for argument sake they were only 2s 908pts

KLS responsible for 747 pts her assists alone gave team 236 pts and just counting them as 2s so a total of 983 pts

Shooting is not shooting not by a long shot. Hitting a negligible number of wide open 3s is not the same as KLS or Nurse for that matter. Never being in charge of creating or breaking the press or inbounding or setting up the offense is also an indicator of who Geno trusts. The other teams game planing around Gabby, KLS and even Nurse show who they respect. Most teams have trouble guarding 1/2 players and are left after that with terrible defender s especially in AAC. The difference is that the wide open lay ups around the basket, the easiest shot by a lot in basketball was due to Uconn's other players.

If shooting was just shooting then there would be many D2 and NAIA players in the W.

Name all the teams that UConn played that had their best post defender out on the perimeter guarding KLS, Nurse or Williams? In fact they were down low guarding Collier (or Williams when she wasn't at the high post). The myth that Collier was just shooting open layups is just that, a myth. Collier, like her predecessor Tuck was highly skilled at creating position prior to getting a pass. And despite being guarded by taller and stronger players she used that position and a variety of low post moves to hit 71% of those shots while being guarded by the best low post defender on the opponent's roster.

And Williams, KLS and Nurse wouldn't have had nearly as many assists if Collier wasn't on the team. Nor would their shooting %'s been as good if the option of getting Collier the ball did't exist.

UConn's core four all benefit from playing with each other. I'm a lot more interested in watching how 5 players perform as a unit than in who is the best of the 5. I'd much rather watch 5 passes that result in a wide open shot than one player with a wicked ankle-breaking cross over that beats a defender one on one. There have been UConn teams in which one player was the key. Taurasi in 2003/4 are the only obvious ones. Even Moore, who was the focus when she played only won NC's when Charles was there. Last year there was not one preseason all-american on UConn. It was perhaps the best example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/23/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Name all the teams that UConn played that had their best post defender out on the perimeter guarding KLS, Nurse or Williams? In fact they were down low guarding Collier (or Williams when she wasn't at the high post). The myth that Collier was just shooting open layups is just that, a myth. Collier, like her predecessor Tuck was highly skilled at creating position prior to getting a pass. And despite being guarded by taller and stronger players she used that position and a variety of low post moves to hit 71% of those shots while being guarded by the best low post defender on the opponent's roster.

And Williams, KLS and Nurse wouldn't have had nearly as many assists if Collier wasn't on the team. Nor would their shooting %'s been as good if the option of getting Collier the ball did't exist.

UConn's core four all benefit from playing with each other. I'm a lot more interested in watching how 5 players perform as a unit than in who is the best of the 5. I'd much rather watch 5 passes that result in a wide open shot than one player with a wicked ankle-breaking cross over that beats a defender one on one. There have been UConn teams in which one player was the key. Taurasi in 2003/4 are the only obvious ones. Even Moore, who was the focus when she played only won NC's when Charles was there. Last year there was not one preseason all-american on UConn. It was perhaps the best example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

I disagree. If the voters actually believed that, they wouldn't have voted for the those Huskies AFTER the season either. I think the reason that UConn had no preseason AA was because none of them had proven anything yet because of their limited roles during the Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck cohort. After the season, they received their deserved accolades.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: