RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LifetimeTV back in sports

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmvcity

PostPosted: 02/02/17 11:54 am    ::: LifetimeTV back in sports Reply Reply with quote

Lifetime network will air national women's soccer. Will the WNBA partner again with the network?

http://deadline.com/2017/02/lifetime-national-womens-soccer-league-tv-deal-ae-networks-stake-1201900415/

toad455

PostPosted: 02/02/17 12:02 pm    ::: Re: LifetimeTV back in sports Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Lifetime network will air national women's soccer. Will the WNBA partner again with the network?

http://deadline.com/2017/02/lifetime-national-womens-soccer-league-tv-deal-ae-networks-stake-1201900415/

It would be great if they did. NWSL on Saturdays & WNBA games on Fridays?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/02/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lifetime would be a step back for WNBA. Keep looking ahead

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/02/17 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Lifetime would be a step back for WNBA. Keep looking ahead

Agreed , were trying to appeal to EVERYONE not just women anymore .

PostPosted: 02/02/17 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

agree and disagree and agree again.

agree going to lifetime ALONE would be a step back.

But we need a secondary partner for airing national games NBA TV picking up local feeds doesn't count (but helps) ESPN every year has scaled back the number of reg season games it airs...im sure they have the ratings to back up that decision but that's still disturbing. Going to a Lifetime or WE or any cable network short of the bottom of the barrel (We have NBATV for that and that's an important partnership)

But I agree it doesn't mean we just target women...but if that's how we get an extra outlet...so be it...but this shouldn't be scoffed...even if it's just to kick ESPN in the ass to air more games to keep exclusivity. this shouldn't be scoffed at...we need something to get more media...streaming is N O T Television...television is television...ESPN needs to agree to air more games or permit another national partner to share the load...ideally should be one W game every week on SOME national outlet of some size. MINIMUM

PostPosted: 02/02/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

But we need a secondary partner for airing national games NBA TV picking up local feeds doesn't count (but helps) ESPN every year has scaled back the number of reg season games it airs...im sure they have the ratings to back up that decision but that's still disturbing. Going to a Lifetime or WE or any cable network short of the bottom of the barrel (We have NBATV for that and that's an important partnership)

But I agree it doesn't mean we just target women...but if that's how we get an extra outlet...so be it...but this shouldn't be scoffed...even if it's just to kick ESPN in the ass to air more games to keep exclusivity. this shouldn't be scoffed at...we need something to get more media...streaming is N O T Television...television is television...ESPN needs to agree to air more games or permit another national partner to share the load...ideally should be one W game every week on SOME national outlet of some size. MINIMUM

I'm in favor of any format to show more games! Magic's station ASPIRE would also be welcome!

~rAf
hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/02/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

X______________________
StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/02/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Signing with another network would be great, if it means getting more WNBA games on TV.

That said, I thought the ABC/ESPN contract with the WNBA was exclusive, so that WNBA games are shown only in ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, WatchESPN's streaming casts, or NBA-TV, in addition to local affiliated stations. Lifetime had broadcast WNBA games in the early years, but I agree with WNBA09, HappyCappie, and Shades that it would be a step backwards for the WNBA.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if the LOGO network showed WNBA games!

PostPosted: 02/02/17 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

I haven't seen any recent stats, but apparently people who studied the ratings were very surprised at the percentage of Lifetime's primetime audience that was men, especially affluent men. I believe the last set of figures I saw had Lifetime skewing less female than ESPN skews male.

It will be interesting to see how the NWSL does there as it has its own very specific audience. One of the interesting things that I have found is that there is undercurrent of dislike in a segment of the American soccer fandom (both men and women) of the relative popularity of the women's national team here because they feel that it creates a negative perception of the sport among non-soccer fans and thus hurts men's soccer.

I don't believe that there has been any public revelation of any studies on the fanbase for women's basketball other than Val Ackerman's paper, but I would assume that the league or at least individual teams have market research that would help them determine if a certain channel's typical viewership would mesh well with the sport.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: