RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Louisville seeking WNBA team

View previous topic :: View next topic  
petrel

PostPosted: 02/03/17 9:12 am    ::: Louisville seeking WNBA team Reply Reply with quote

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/metro-government/2017/02/01/nba-measure-sails-through-committee/97332986/

The money comment buried at the bottom:

Johnson's proposal also deleted a criticism that the 22,000-seat KFC Yum! Center "needs an improved financial climate and more dates of operation." It was amended to say the downtown arena is one of the country's best and that a professional team would add to Louisville's business climate. The resolution also added a provision that Louisville is seeking a WNBA team as well.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/03/17 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisville would own the team, not a private owner?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/03/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was there a timeframe ?

PostPosted: 02/03/17 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisville would make for a great WNBA city. Bring in Shoni and Jude Schimmel and they would fill that place. They wouldn't win many games but they'd fill that place.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/03/17 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of us did talk about the possibility of an expansion team in Louisville, as far back as 2008...

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=573013

PostPosted: 02/03/17 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt this'll even happen though. How long now have there been discussions of a sister team of the golden state warriors? The owner there really wants a WNBA team and has for years but it never happens. Same thing here with Louisville it'll never happen. I don't think the WNBA wants to expand because frankly, the can't afford too.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/03/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2017/01/18/officials-deny-reported-nba-expansion-meeting/96709698/

This one makes it pretty clear this isn't happening.

The cost for an NBA team is about $1 billion, according to the first article posted, and that's a fair chunk of change. I don't know much about Louisville but I do know that having lots of corporate headquarters in a city makes it a lot easier to sell luxury boxes for big dollars -- does Louisville have a lot of big companies headquartered there?

So many pieces have to fall into place for something like this to happen. Look at the Raiders' move to Las Vegas, which is falling apart. And the WNBA isn't even the tail of this dog -- more like the band of different-colored fur at the end.

PostPosted: 02/03/17 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2017/01/18/officials-deny-reported-nba-expansion-meeting/96709698/

This one makes it pretty clear this isn't happening.

The cost for an NBA team is about $1 billion, according to the first article posted, and that's a fair chunk of change. I don't know much about Louisville but I do know that having lots of corporate headquarters in a city makes it a lot easier to sell luxury boxes for big dollars -- does Louisville have a lot of big companies headquartered there?

So many pieces have to fall into place for something like this to happen. Look at the Raiders' move to Las Vegas, which is falling apart. And the WNBA isn't even the tail of this dog -- more like the band of different-colored fur at the end.

Fewer than there used to be, but there are still a few. Yum Brands, Humana, Papa John's, Brown-Forman. Used to be a couple of big tobacco companies, but they're long gone.

It doesn't have to be headquarters, though. There are enough large businesses, professional firms, etc. Same people who fervently support and buy up suites and boxes for Louisville football and basketball.

Oh, and the cabooses. Don't forget the line of cabooses leased for tailgating at Papa John's Stadium. Expensive, exclusive, and very cool.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/03/17 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream preseason games drew well there

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: