RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Election 2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 01/21/17 10:28 pm    ::: Election 2020 Reply Reply with quote

Who is going to be the Democratic candidate in 2020? I was wondering if Trump is embroiled in major scandals and/or he's done very unpopular things and/or he has made a mockery of the office and his approval rating is at 20%, meaning whoever they run will win - would they support Clinton again?

pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/17 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clinton is done. Her political career is over.

My guess is it will be someone not even on the radar right now, like Obama was in 2004.

PostPosted: 01/21/17 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Early rumblings are saying Cory Booker might be interested.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
RM619

PostPosted: 01/21/17 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Article from Dec 27, 2016

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/311436-top-15-democratic-presidential-candidates-in-2020

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/21/17 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Are you trying to tell me Trump is a lock for a second term?

Mark Warner should be the right answer.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/22/17 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Clinton is done. Her political career is over.

I thought Judd Apatow had a good point the other day - he said that the speaking tour she went on should be something that politicians only do when they are done. You shouldn't get out, earn millions speaking to corporations, and then jump back in.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/22/17 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RM619 wrote:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/311436-top-15-democratic-presidential-candidates-in-2020

Quote:
6. First lady Michelle Obama

If the first lady exhibited even a slight inclination to run, she would be ranked near the top of this list.

There is no figure in public life, with the possible exception of her husband, who has so strong a hold on liberal hearts and minds.

Obama has become more comfortable with her public role over the years. Her two major speeches during the 2016 campaign — one at the Democratic convention, another excoriating Trump for “hurtful, hateful language about women” — were among the most powerful delivered during the cycle.

The first lady insists that she won’t run, citing the effect such an effort would have on her two daughters among other factors. But Malia and Sasha Obama will be 22 and 19, respectively, by the time of the next election. When it comes to the first lady’s future plans, many Democrats still cling to the audacity of hope.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 01/22/17 5:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Michelle Obama ran she would be our next president in a landslide.

But from everything that Barack has said up to this point, unless something drastically changes, it just isn't going to happen. Her interest level in the job is nonexistent.

PostPosted: 01/22/17 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Booker and Warren seem to be the early favorites...but we shall see.

Booker's ties to Pharma are an issue (Tho NJ Is Pharma capital of the world, what did you expect) I like Booker...I do get he's likely not as left as some...but he does have the fire and the actions to really make noise on the trail and we need a NOISY campaign to shout down Trump. Trump is all branding and Noise...must fight back the same way or fail. (which xes out the Tim Kaines of the world...he got Pwned by Pence for god's sake!)

Warren would be your fight fire with fire solution...and may be needed...and welcomed...I wanna see how she positions herself in the Senate the next 4 years...but I think she's gonna be pushed hard and will make a run at it. And it would be a good fit, but if you thought Trump vs Hillary was sickeningly ugly (and trust me Hillary especially in the swing areas lost a TON of votes to voter fatigue and people staying home) also the issue wasn't number of votes Hillary had 3 million votes more...it was where those votes were...dunno if she will appeal in the working class areas trump used to succeed.

Bernie and Biden will both be close to 80 when 2020 hits...Bernie already has to hunch over the podium for support...he does have appeal to young voters and is an important ally who musnt be ignored this time around, but I don't think he should be THE guy.

Biden...if he didn't run in 16 what makes you think he'll run in 2020 when he's pushing 80. Pipe dream and if it does happen I have Al Gore nightmares of him running a solid but could have gone over the top with a little more effort campaign...and we know Gore only missed by a whisker...keep him as an activist and a gun in the holster for additional stumping.

I'd keep my eyes out west...One person not named who's lining up governor chips to succeed Jerry Brown is Gavin Newsom...had a lot of pull as mayor of SF then got knocked back a bit but rose again...just a weird hunch...gov of California has been a launching pad before. Keep ears to ground.

Cuomo I think would be a good centrist temper ticket balancing George Bush Sr type VP candidate to a Warren or other leftist candidate and a powerful speaker...but again Not THE man...he's got VP running mate written all over him...I can see a Warren/Cuomo ticket working well.

Ditto Chuck Schumer...except you don't dare take him out of the senate...in fact I would fear Bob Dole syndrome (great senator but those traits don't translate to Running for President) as well...keep him where he is and where he would be strong.

On the Far left I can see DeBlasio taking a shot from left field...I love my city...I love my people but no...not ready for prime time and would do nothing but spin wheels of getting more votes but not in the correct places.

Warner is interesting...and not to be foo fooed. don't know enough but I've said for years Dems need to copy the 15 podium free for all that the GOP used. And this is one reason...we must leave no stone unturned in finding the right man or woman and someone from a battleground area could appeal to the votes the dems lost in 2016...good mention and I hope he goes for it...

agree about left field candidates...and I'm sure someone will rise up...and it could be someone from Hollywood (I dunno if it'd work but I got this feeling leftist Hollywood advocates like George Clooney may take a look into it) not sure about this...

Oprah...I think she's a better money woman...she was a big money donor for Obama and has been out of the limelight too long...pass.

just covering those mentioned and adding Newsom...Honestly I'm more worried about winning back places that went red at the state house and even municipal levels first...need to take it back the way the GOP took it...start small...in 2017...have a golden opportunity to take back a red governorship in NJ who has a disgraced governor and is a blue state nationally...CAN NOT MISS, remember one misstep and states can call a CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION...game over! taking back NJ which should be LOW HANGING FRUIT if the dems have any kind of clue (Tho booker staying in the senate instead of pursuing governor tells me they don't) and they can't screw this one up...CAN NOT...what more does the NJ GOP have to do to hand this one to you..so well it starts THIS YEAR

PostPosted: 01/22/17 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

But from everything that Barack has said up to this point, unless something drastically changes, it just isn't going to happen. Her interest level in the job is nonexistent.

Michelle for President would be incredibly heavenly. I doubt after Trump's 4 year disaster, there will be another Republican in office for many years to come.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/22/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RM619 wrote:

This should be a top 10 only. Well, top 8(IMO). Michelle has said she has no intentions of running. Bernie & Biden will be too old by then. Hillary's done. Oprah, really? I doubt Tim Kaine would fair any better vs. Trump.

1. Warren
2. Booker
3. Gillibrand
4. Klobuchar
5. Murphy
6. Cuomo
7. Hickenlooper
8. Harris

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/22/17 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
RM619 wrote:

This should be a top 10 only. Well, top 8(IMO). Michelle has said she has no intentions of running. Bernie & Biden will be too old by then. Hillary's done. Oprah, really? I doubt Tim Kaine would fair any better vs. Trump.

1. Warren
2. Booker
3. Gillibrand
4. Klobuchar
5. Murphy
6. Cuomo
7. Hickenlooper
8. Harris

I hope Clinton is done, but everyone said she was done after 2008. That woman isn't held down ever. That's literally her defining trait. That being said, Democrats need to get younger...No Clinton, Biden, Warren or Sanders.

If Booker runs, no one will beat him. He'll be the most charismatic person in the room, with the most money. And by 2019, it'll be tough for the Bernie bros and alt. Left to run their purity test. Too much actual damage will have been done to the country.

My personal pick would be Murphy. I freaking love my senator. Laughing

Harris is also interesting.

But I agree, we need to focus on state elections. Our moves need to be focused on 2018. (And lawsuits to stop gerrymandering and reinstate voting rights.)

PostPosted: 01/22/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Sherrod Brown: Why aren’t progressives begging him to run for president?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/sherrod-brown-why-arent-progressives-begging-him-to-run-for-president/2015/01/28/f8378d9c-a63c-11e4-a7c2-03d37af98440_story.html

...a progressive Senator from a large, pivotal rustbelt state? That's crazy talk! Wink

stever

PostPosted: 01/22/17 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

...maybe not:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/cory-booker-president-2020/

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/22/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We as a nation might need to learn how to speak Russian or Mandarin before 2020.

PostPosted: 01/22/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
RM619 wrote:

1. Warren
2. Booker
3. Gillibrand
4. Klobuchar
5. Murphy
6. Cuomo
7. Hickenlooper
8. Harris

Should I start the DNC Mock Draft thread?

I have to say Michelle Obama is the top eligible. She'd have the best advisor in Barack, and it's kind of like having another 8 years of him.

Not sure agree about Clinton being done. That's exactly what was said after she lost to Obama. In 4 years, she can find a better campaign manager and develop a concise platform.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 01/22/17 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/22/17 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

I sincerely doubt that.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/22/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Booker and Warren?

Do the Democrats really have a death wish?

Oh well, if they can't pick a candidate capable of beating Donald Trump, why should I be surprised if they pick another sure loser. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

justintyme

PostPosted: 01/22/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I sincerely doubt that.

Either she would be running against Trump, or else a split Republican party. She has none of the negatives of Hillary, is an amazing public speaker, is as smart as a whip, is not a "politician", and would be able to generate the type of excitement that Dem voters need in order to actually turn out.

Could you imagine Trump trying to insult/treat her like he did Hillary? It worked on someone as disliked as Clinton, but with someone as universally admired as Michelle is?

PostPosted: 01/22/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Booker and Warren?

Oh well, if they can't pick a candidate capable of beating Donald Trump, why should I be surprised if they pick another sure loser. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Klobuchar would be a solid choice. She has the progressive cred without being seen as an ideologue.

PostPosted: 01/22/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Booker and Warren?

Klobuchar would be a solid choice. She has the progressive cred without being seen as an ideologue.

Dem's gotta stop that.

PostPosted: 01/22/17 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Booker and Warren?

Dem's gotta stop that.

Stop what? Not sure I understand.

PostPosted: 01/22/17 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Booker and Warren?

Dem's gotta stop that.

"Progressive Cred"

Democrats are Democrats because of some progressive pet issue. The purity tests need to stop.

Second, most of the country is moderate..so being as left as possible isn't necessarily a winning idea. And we certainly don't want to turn into the Republican party..where the extremist wins the primary.

PostPosted: 01/22/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Booker and Warren?

Dem's gotta stop that.

"Progressive Cred"

Democrats are Democrats because of some progressive pet issue. The purity tests need to stop.

Second, most of the country is moderate..so being as left as possible isn't necessarily a winning idea. And we certainly don't want to turn into the Republican party..where the extremist wins the primary.

By "progressive cred" I mean has policies that are palatable to the Sanders/Warren wing of the party. The policies that draw crowds and generate excitement. I think the Trump election should demonstate well that how we are defining "moderate" is not the traditional definition.

So it is not about being "left as possible", it is about not being on the wrong side (as progressives see it) of Big Pharma, Wall Street, work/jobs, and trade. None of these things are anathema to moderate voters, and in fact speak to those same swing voters that just put Trump in office. So ideally you want a candidate like Klobuchar who appeals to the progressive wing but yet can still get things done and has appeal across the spectrum.

Put it this way, my quite conservative father has voted for Klobuchar every single time she has run. Yet her voting record is a progressive one. That is the type of candidate that can succeed quite well.

PostPosted: 01/22/17 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

By "progressive cred" I mean has policies that are palatable to the Sanders/Warren wing of the party. The policies that draw crowds and generate excitement. I think the Trump election should demonstate well that how we are defining "moderate" is not the traditional definition.

So it is not about being "left as possible", it is about not being on the wrong side (as progressives see it) of Big Pharma, Wall Street, work/jobs, and trade. None of these things are anathema to moderate voters, and in fact speak to those same swing voters that just put Trump in office. So ideally you want a candidate like Klobuchar who appeals to the progressive wing but yet can still get things done and has appeal across the spectrum.

Put it this way, my quite conservative father has voted for Klobuchar every single time she has run. Yet her voting record is a progressive one. That is the type of candidate that can succeed quite well.

Right, I mean we need to work to not have our party fractioned..and a good start would be stopping this "Progressive cred" thing.

We got beat badly in senate races who followed the Warren/Sanders model. It wasn't the policy that appealed to the rust belt. It was the emotionally driven populism that Sanders brought.

Populism lost in the Democratic party (thank the lord), and it's very likely it won't be in fashion come 2020.

What this should have taught all of us..is that policy doesn't matter. We don't need someone who makes social welfare their pet issue..we need someone who is charismatic. (And has substance..or at least I require that.)

I don't know Klobuchar very well, but if she is another boring policy wonk like Gore or Clinton (Hillary), we won't win.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: