RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wichita State Replaces Coach For Next Two Games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksuwbbfan

PostPosted: 01/20/17 12:08 am    ::: Wichita State Replaces Coach For Next Two Games Reply Reply with quote

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Jody Adams-Birch has been replaced as Wichita State women's basketball coach for the next two games while athletic director Darron Boatright looks into "information recently received about the women's basketball program," he said in a statement Thursday night.

Assistant coach Kirk Crawford will be the acting coach against Bradley Friday night and Illinois State on Sunday.

Boatright said he would review the information he received before making any long term decisions about the program.

Adams-Birch was under an internal review after the 2015 season when four players transferred from the program. The school kept the coach.

Boatright wasn't the athletic director at the time.

Adams-Birch is in her ninth season at Wichita State and the Shockers are 6-10 this season. Under Adams-Birch, the Shockers made three straight NCAA Tournament appearances from 2013-15, the first in school history.

ksuwbbfan

PostPosted: 01/20/17 4:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article127612249.html

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 01/20/17 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You have to think that this is going to end badly for the coach.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/20/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, this is the second go-round with transfers and disaffected players, who this time have boycotted practice. I don't see how or why Adams would be retained as a coach.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/20/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't she from the Pat tree? Perhaps she got the 'tough' part but not the 'love' part of Pat's philosophy.

- Amanda Gorman
stever

PostPosted: 01/22/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ding dong...she's gone:

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/WSU-womens-basketball-assistant-to-step-in-as-head-coach-411285515.html

Matt5762

PostPosted: 01/22/17 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
ding dong...she's gone:

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/WSU-womens-basketball-assistant-to-step-in-as-head-coach-411285515.html

They hired Linda Hargrove as interim HC. That's interesting...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/22/17 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little interesting that Bridgette is staying on, but I guess a paycheck is a paycheck. She and Jody were teammates, I believe.

PostPosted: 01/24/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jody had to get more out of her players than perhaps they were capable of giving. One thing is undeniable, the program was a wasteland before she got there. She took them to 3 NCAA tournaments. They will likely never see those results again.

From what I have read, she will be paid $500,000 per the terms of her contract. She was not fired "for cause." She had a 5 year roll over contract that paid her approx $250,000/yr. By replacing her now, the school avoids having to pay her a $400,000 annuity bonus that she would have been owed prior to next season. I have to admit, $20,000 a month is pretty sweet to coach basketball at a MVC school.

Just my opinion, but Holly Warlick should grab her quickly. Some discipline might do wonders for the Lady Vols right now.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/24/17 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Jody had to get more out of her players than perhaps they were capable of giving. One thing is undeniable, the program was a wasteland before she got there. She took them to 3 NCAA tournaments. They will likely never see those results again.

From what I have read, she will be paid $500,000 per the terms of her contract. She was not fired "for cause." She had a 5 year roll over contract that paid her approx $250,000/yr. By replacing her now, the school avoids having to pay her a $400,000 annuity bonus that she would have been owed prior to next season. I have to admit, $20,000 a month is pretty sweet to coach basketball at a MVC school.

Just my opinion, but Holly Warlick should grab her quickly. Some discipline might do wonders for the Lady Vols right now.

I don't know about the Lady Vols, but I think some program will grab her. And I think Bridgette too. Maybe even together. I suspect her style may have been a bit abrasive for some of the players, but she sure did get the best out of them. WSU was a sink when she took it over and will likely revert: I agree with you there. My observation is that some (not all, but some) players who end up at mid-majors can't take a rigorous program or a tough coach. Jody has her soft side, but if you don't play up, you likely won't see it.

PostPosted: 01/31/17 3:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, Jody Adams entered UT right after Bridgette Gordon graduated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: