RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPNW All-American Team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/10/17 2:41 pm    ::: ESPNW All-American Team Reply Reply with quote

First team:

Collier
Plum
Samuelson
Williams
Wilson

Second team:

Jones
Mitchell
Turner
Walker-Kimbrough
Wiese

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18867308/three-connecticut-huskies-headline-espnw-all-america-first-team
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/10/17 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Root root root for the home team.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/10/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three players on one team is a little too much for me. I get the stats are there but the 3rd player on UConn is just not getting the attention from defenses and game planned against like the star player of a team like say Sydney Wiese. With so many great players it just doesn't feel right that 60% of the all americans are only on one team.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/10/17 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This cuts both ways. On the one hand, you are absolutely correct that Wiese is likely to draw the opposing team's best available defender, and this may slightly depress her scoring relative to the second and third options on another team. But it also means that if you are a teammate of Wiese and have the ball, the best scoring option, barring an open layup, is more likely to be a pass in to Wiese than jacking up a shot yourself. In contrast, the UConn players are more apt to take a shot if they are open, unless someone else is open closer (and vice-versa) so there are fewer scoring opportunities than if you are the single best go-to option.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they don't win it's a shame

PostPosted: 03/10/17 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe it's unprecedented that four "W's" are among the top 10 AA's.
linkster

PostPosted: 03/10/17 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If UConn is ESPN's "home team" then why were none of the three 1st team AA's on their top ten preseason list?

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17902939/espnw-top-25-women-college-basketball-players-2016-17

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/10/17 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
If UConn is ESPN's "home team" then why were none of the three 1st team AA's on their top ten preseason list?

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17902939/espnw-top-25-women-college-basketball-players-2016-17

Because Voepel, Creme and Hays, who wrote the preseason article, know little more than diddly squat about UConn basketball. Anyone who thought Kia Nurse was going to be the best player on UConn and the seventh best player in the country may . . . on second thought . . . know even less than diddly squat.

I wonder if those three writers were the entirety of the ESPNW AA voting panel.
Durantula

PostPosted: 03/10/17 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Pre-season AA lists are meaningless, its just for content in a dead period before games begin. But they weren't on it probably because it is mostly stat driven and they played behind 3 AA's the year before so its hard to project 3 role players to be AA when there were many more returning players across the country who had already established themselves with big numbers.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 03/11/17 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brooke McCarty, Texas Longhorn junior point guard, deserves to be on such lists. She's 5'4" tall, but look at her current season stats!

http://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6681&path=wbball

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:

Because Voepel, Creme and Hays, who wrote the preseason article, know little more than diddly squat about UConn basketball. Anyone who thought Kia Nurse was going to be the best player on UConn and the seventh best player in the country may . . . on second thought . . . know even less than diddly squat.

I wonder if those three writers were the entirety of the ESPNW AA voting panel.

Good point! It's always been amazing to me that people like this can make a great living and get respect for the little knowledge they have had about the players, teams and basketball in general. Over the years, they have gained some through osmosis and key friendships in the industry, but in prior years, it was just appalling how little the three knew but openly portrayed themselves as experts and sold, especially, the vast majority of women's basketball fans on their mediocre knowledge.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 03/12/17 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd pay good money to see the 2nd team play with a chip on their shoulders, against this 1st team.

It'd be a heck of a game ... maybe even some smack talk Razz

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/12/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
I'd pay good money to see the 2nd team play with a chip on their shoulders, against this 1st team.

Lol cute! But no. Just no

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/12/17 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:

Haha. I don't know how involved SWK was with it (she's reportedly "good friends" with Plum from USA basketball), but her teammates at least were talking some serious smack at Plum and the rest of the Huskies before and during last year's game. Yeah.

It would be fun to watch these groups scrimmage. They could divvy up the honorable mentions too, right? Laughing

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/13/17 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Shouldn't be that much of a surprise. I mean isn't that the measure of success for most teamsl? Coming away with a W.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/14/17 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Shouldn't be that much of a surprise. I mean isn't that the measure of success for most teamsl? Coming away with a W.

Ba-dum tish.

A W for you, good Rebkellian.

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: