RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Field of 64
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/06/17 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that the Big East is bunched closely together behind DePaul or anything... Very Happy

We have no chance in hell of getting four into the real bracket, but it's nice to dream.

(now with spelling variations)
linkster

PostPosted: 02/06/17 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If S Carolina loses it's third game against UConn and Notre Dame wins out the Irish would have a better RPI and SOS. Both teams would have a loss to Tenn with S car worse because it came at home & a loss to UConn. ND's third loss would be at NC St while S Carolina's at Duke.

I'd say that Notre Dame would clearly have a better claim of a 1 seed.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/06/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My opinion of Maryland has not changed. If they run undefeated through a major conference and win the conference tournament, ending the season with only one close loss against the #1 team in the country, they will be a #1 seed.

PostPosted: 02/06/17 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
My opinion of Maryland has not changed. If they run undefeated through a major conference and win the conference tournament, ending the season with only one close loss against the #1 team in the country, they will be a #1 seed.

Based on the times I have seen them play I'd agree they should be a 1 seed, but seeing how the NCAA has them seeded right now I doubt anything could lift them that high. At the most they would get a 2 or 3 seed. I sure wouldn't want them in UConn's region but it would be easy for the committee to invoke their "geography rule". It seems like they have a rule to justify anything. And what better way to keep them out of the FF and justify the committee's making them a 4 seed than putting them in Bridgeport. I'd much rather see them face Miss St in the S16. Last time I looked Massey had that game figured at MD -1.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/06/17 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

(Edit because I think I was too generous last night)

I think 5 of the following realistic scenarios need to happen for that to happen (though it still might not be enough). That some of these teams still play each other should take care of at least couple:
Oregon St lose 2 games (maybe 1)
South Carolina lose to UConn and 2 games (maybe 1)
Mississippi St lose 2 games
Notre Dame lose a game
Florida State lose 3 games (maybe 2)
Baylor lose 3 games (maybe 2)
Texas lose 3 games (maybe 2)

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 02/07/17 4:08 pm; edited 5 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/17 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now Maryland is going to be the #2 team in the AP poll. I hope SC beats UConn next week to see if Maryland makes it to #1 in the AP poll. Smile

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/07/17 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Not that the Big East is bunched closely together behind DePaul or anything... Very Happy

We have no chance in hell of getting four into the real bracket, but it's nice to dream.

Yeah and I think Marquette is going to be the team that's not dancing unless they win out and make a big run in the BET. But I don't see any way they win the rematch against DePaul and there's no guarantee they'll beat bad Xavier and Butler teams on the road either with how they've been playing lately.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/07/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New Top 16 revealed by the tournament committee:

1. UConn
2. Baylor
3. South Carolina
4. Mississippi Sate
5. Florida State
6. Notre Dame
7. Oregon State
8. Stanford
9. Maryland
10. Washington
11. Texas
12. Duke
13. Louisville
14. UCLA
15. NC State
16. DePaul

The above were determined before yesterday's games, which included several relevant results (including Texas beating Baylor, UCLA beating Stanford and also Louisville taking the loss at Notre Dame).

Last such reveal comes on February 20th.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/07/17 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like it that the committee is using Maryland to send a message for the future. If Maryland should really be a 2 or even a 1 then they will show that in the postseason.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/07/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh yes, Stanford for Bridgeport #2 please!

PostPosted: 02/07/17 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Oh yes, Stanford for Bridgeport #2 please!

Don't worry. You'll probably get us. More likely as a 3 though, so you're less likely to actually play us.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/07/17 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:

(Edit because I think I was too generous last night)

I think 5 of the following realistic scenarios need to happen for that to happen (though it still might not be enough). That some of these teams still play each other should take care of at least couple:
Oregon St lose 2 games (maybe 1)
South Carolina lose to UConn and 2 games (maybe 1)
Mississippi St lose 2 games
Notre Dame lose a game
Florida State lose 3 games (maybe 2)
Baylor lose 3 games (maybe 2)
Texas lose 3 games (maybe 2)

I agree Maryland needs a lot of help.

If either ND or FSU win out in the ACC and win the ACC tournament, they'll be a #1 seed.
If either S.Car. or Miss St win out in the SEC and win the SEC tournament, they'll be a #1 seed.
If Baylor wins out and wins the Big 12 tournament, they'll be a #1 seed.
Next in line would be Oregon St, if they win out and win the PAC tournament.

All these teams would be in front of Maryland.

And, as you point out, some of these teams might remain in front of Maryland even with a loss.

Which is as it should be. Maryland will have zero top ten wins. Their SOS is a ridiculous 88. You have to go all they way down to Drake, RPI # 32, to get to a team with a weaker schedule. It's not just the conference's fault, by the way, as only PSU and Northwestern have worse SOS rankings than Maryland among the Big10 teams. Maryland's piss poor schedule is of its own choice.

BTW, ESPN quotes the head of the selection committee discussing Maryland and NCSt, which has an even worse OOC SOS than Maryland (but much better overall SOS) and has some weak losses. The statement:

"Terry Gawlik, chair of the NCAA Division I women's basketball committee, said quality wins were the difference.
"What stood out was the recent win over Louisville after wins over Notre Dame, the No. 2 RPI team; Florida State, No. 7; and Duke, No. 11," she said. "Those were significant."

All those teams that will be in front of Maryland in the seeding have significant wins. Maryland will have none, unless you consider Ohio State with two more losses (to Maryland) a significant win.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/13/17 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Multiple Bid Conferences
8 SEC
7 ACC
6 P12
4 B12
4 AAC
4 BEast
3 B10
2 Horizon
2 Ivy
2 MVC

Just Missed: James Madison, Villanova, Northwestern, Western Kentucky
Last In: Northern Iowa, Harvard, Tulane, Auburn

How did I arrive at this?

First, I gave two points for a win over a top 25 RPI team and one for a win over a 26-50 RPI team.

Then, I subtracted one point for a loss to a 26-50 team, and two for a loss against a sub-50 team.

I then added points based on the remaining schedule: .5 for a game remaining against a top 25 RPI team and .25 for a game against a 26-50 RPI team.

Teams more than one game under .500 in conference are not allowed in.

Many teams were moved within the same seed to prevent teams in the same conference from meeting before the conference finals or to meet the new rules about conferences with top four seeds. In this instance four teams swapped seeds to avoid this. Miami (FL) and Missouri moved up one; Creighton and Tennessee moved down one.

Ties went in favor of the team with the most points on current wins and losses. If still tied then better RPI.

The cut off for getting in as an at large was -4.75 points. It took 14 points to get a #1 seed.

PostPosted: 02/13/17 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't be too sure that the CAA spot goes to Elon. It's a tourney spot, and JMU has beaten Elon twice already. Depending on seeding and how things shake out, on any given day, that spot could go to JMU, Drexel, Elon, or someone else. JMU has beat up on Drexel once already, and twice on Elon, with one more chance at Drexel; their losses are sort of inexplicable--twice to Towson, whose record otherwise is pretty abysmal, and early on to William and Mary, who comes back next week. So who knows?

PostPosted: 02/19/17 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leaving on vacation tomorrow morning, so no new projection this week

PostPosted: 02/19/17 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Leaving on vacation tomorrow morning, so no new projection this week

Have a great vacation! Thanks for all the updates.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/27/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Multiple Bid Conferences
8 ACC
7 SEC
6 P12
5 B12
4 BEast
3 AAC
3 B10
2 MVC
2 Summit
2 CAA

Just Missed: Toledo, Harvard, Auburn, Indiana
Last In: Northern Iowa, Virginia, St John's Oregon

How did I arrive at this?

First, I gave two points for a win over a top 25 RPI team and one for a win over a 26-50 RPI team.

Then, I subtracted one point for a loss to a 26-50 team, and two for a loss against a sub-50 team.

I then added points based on the remaining schedule: .5 for a game remaining against a top 25 RPI team and .25 for a game against a 26-50 RPI team.

Teams more than one game under .500 in conference are not allowed in.

Many teams were moved within the same seed to prevent teams in the same conference from meeting before the conference finals or to meet the new rules about conferences with top four seeds. In this instance two teams swapped seeds to avoid this. Syracuse moved up one; Oklahoma moved down one.

Ties went in favor of the team with the most points on current wins and losses. If still tied then better RPI.

The cut off for getting in as an at large was -7 points. It took 15 points to get a #1 seed.

PostPosted: 02/27/17 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How TF do you still have St. John's in? Not that I mind, but how?!

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 02/27/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
How TF do you still have St. John's in? Not that I mind, but how?!

-6 is just barely good enough. Who should be there instead?

PostPosted: 02/28/17 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone on the JMU board said, "anyone who thinks JMU will get an at-large bid over a P5 school, even with a better RPI, is delusional." I tend to agree. P5 schools always get the benefit of the doubt, even with cupcake schedules and a worse RPI, over a mid-major that really tries to boost itself with a tough schedule and has a pretty decent record.

Just for the record, I will submit that I think JMU is not quite as good as they were last year. I do think they're a lot better than some schools that will get in, including maybe some P5s.

PostPosted: 03/06/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creme's latest bracketology, which puts Purdue at a 10 seed AND not even listed among the final 4 teams in the field. Interesting.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/06/17 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Creme's latest bracketology, which puts Purdue at a 10 seed AND not even listed among the final 4 teams in the field. Interesting.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

RealtimeRPI.com showed Purdue changing its RPI by +25 - quite impressive. I didn't know there could be that much movement this late in the season.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/06/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm wondering if Maryland will be a #2.

We were assuming that for Maryland to win the B10, they would end up with two wins over Ohio St as two respectable wins on their resume. Instead they lost to Ohio St in the season, and then ended up playing Purdue rather than Ohio St in the tournament, so they never beat Ohio St even once.

Their best wins are 27-7 Louisville, 19-12 AZ St, and the next best is 22-9 Michigan.

How in the world does that earn anyone a 2 seed?

If the committee means anything of what they said about SOS, Maryland should be a 4 or 5.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/06/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Someone on the JMU board said, "anyone who thinks JMU will get an at-large bid over a P5 school, even with a better RPI, is delusional." I tend to agree. P5 schools always get the benefit of the doubt, even with cupcake schedules and a worse RPI, over a mid-major that really tries to boost itself with a tough schedule and has a pretty decent record.

It's not enough to just schedule a few good teams if you don't beat any of them. So they played Tenn and FSU. They lost both. They played Iowa and SJU. They lost both of those too. They beat Wake Forest, but Wake is 15-15 with an RPI of 88, so that doesn't really do much. Their best wins are against Elon, and while Elon will be a tourney team and has a respectable RPI, I doubt anybody on the committee is really standing up and taking notice of beating Elon.

You can't just say well they scheduled some tough teams and they have a decent record if that "decent record" wasn't achieved against the opponents you're holding up as the "tough schedule."

Point out the specific P5 schools slated to make the field that you consider less deserving than JMU and we'll compare their resumes. Especially we'll look at their best wins. Who has demonstrated they can actually win at the tournament level.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/06/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm wondering if Maryland will be a #2.

We were assuming that for Maryland to win the B10, they would end up with two wins over Ohio St as two respectable wins on their resume. Instead they lost to Ohio St in the season, and then ended up playing Purdue rather than Ohio St in the tournament, so they never beat Ohio St even once.

Their best wins are 27-7 Louisville, 19-12 AZ St, and the next best is 22-9 Michigan.

How in the world does that earn anyone a 2 seed?

If the committee means anything of what they said about SOS, Maryland should be a 4 or 5.

I'd like to read the homer board of the 1 seed that were to get MD as the 4 seed in their team's region.
In 1995 only 2 BE teams made the tournament and UConn played a lot of local cupcake teams in their OOC schedule. I'm sure their SOS would have been close to Maryland's but they won the NC and were justifiably considered the best team in the country in the polls despite their mediocre/poor RPI & SOS.

Maryland may not have proven their worth with a top level schedule but I'd much rather see UConn play Miss St , Oregon St, or any of a bunch of teams with better RPI's & SOS's than face Maryland again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: