RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

The Field of 64
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/09/17 12:35 pm    ::: The Field of 64 Reply Reply with quote



Multiple Bid Conferences
8 P12
8 ACC
8 B12
7 SEC
3 BEast
3 AAC
2 B10

Just Missed: Colorado, USC, Syracuse, Georgia Tech
Last In: St John's, Oklahoma, Auburn, Temple

How did I arrive at this?

First, I gave two points for a win over a top 25 RPI team and one for a win over a 26-50 RPI team.

Then, I subtracted one point for a loss to a 26-50 team, and two for a loss against a sub-50 team.

I then added points based on the remaining schedule: .5 for a game remaining against a top 25 RPI team and .25 for a game against a 26-50 RPI team.

Teams more than one game under .500 in conference are not allowed in.

Many teams were moved within the same seed to prevent teams in the same conference from meeting before the conference finals or to meet the new rules about conferences with top four seeds. In this instance four teams swapped seeds to avoid this. California and Temple moved up one; Oklahoma State and Iowa State moved down one.

Ties went in favor of the team with the most points on current wins and losses. If still tied then better RPI.

The cut off for getting in as an at large was -0.75 points. It took 10.75 points to get a #1 seed.



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
patsweetpat



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 1938
Location: Culver City, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/09/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, how come my favorite team is not higher and other teams which I disfavor are not lower?! No way!!!

Sorry, pilight, I just wanted to get in the first one of those this season. I'm sure more will follow as the calendar progresses.


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2160
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/09/17 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, I know the Big Ten is down, but holy cow, just 2 teams in as of now? Got mine in early too.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2794



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/09/17 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My only issue is your method of valuing wins. UConn's wins against Baylor, Maryland Florida St & Notre Dame are valued the same as their wins over DePaul & Kansas St? And should home wins be valued the same as road wins? If UConn were to win tomorrow at home vs USF would that be seen as equivalent to their wins at Fl St, Maryland or Notre Dame? UConn is the easiest example but I doubt Miss St would be a 2 seed under a weighted wins system. Other than their win over Texas, MS hasn't played a ranked team. Now I happen to think that MS is a pretty good team but maybe my proposed system would force elite level teams like Maryland or Miss St for example, to not rely on conference games against 15-25 ranked teams to pad their "top 25" record.

I've had a bigger problem with ranking systems that list top 50 wins for the same reason. Of course it's your system and your choices but why not weight wins. Give, say 50 points for a win over the No 1 team, 49 for a win over No 2, etc. down to 1 point for a win over No 50. Nothing for anything else.

Or if that seems too steep a curve then give 20 pts for a win over a top 5 team, 18 for 5-10, etc.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/09/17 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
why not weight wins. Give, say 50 points for a win over the No 1 team, 49 for a win over No 2, etc. down to 1 point for a win over No 50. Nothing for anything else.


It would be a lot more work for not much gain. Increasing the variation in win values helps teams with flukey wins more than it helps teams that are actually good. Northern Iowa would jump up based solely on beating RPI #10 Kansas State. Gonzaga would suddenly be a bubble team because they beat RPI #11 Stanford.



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2794



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/09/17 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
why not weight wins. Give, say 50 points for a win over the No 1 team, 49 for a win over No 2, etc. down to 1 point for a win over No 50. Nothing for anything else.


It would be a lot more work for not much gain. Increasing the variation in win values helps teams with flukey wins more than it helps teams that are actually good. Northern Iowa would jump up based solely on beating RPI #10 Kansas State. Gonzaga would suddenly be a bubble team because they beat RPI #11 Stanford.


I see your point. I guess some of my motivation is the desire to see more elite level match-ups during the regular season. But earning a high seed (or just a seeding) has become the major goal, turning much of the OOC season into little more than exhibition games against weak opposition.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote



Multiple Bid Conferences
8 P12
8 ACC
7 B12
7 SEC
4 AAC
3 B10
2 BEast

Just Missed: Syracuse, Texas A&M, Wake Forest, Virginia
Last In: Tulane, Michigan, Mississippi, Marquette

How did I arrive at this?

First, I gave two points for a win over a top 25 RPI team and one for a win over a 26-50 RPI team.

Then, I subtracted one point for a loss to a 26-50 team, and two for a loss against a sub-50 team.

I then added points based on the remaining schedule: .5 for a game remaining against a top 25 RPI team and .25 for a game against a 26-50 RPI team.

Teams more than one game under .500 in conference are not allowed in.

Many teams were moved within the same seed to prevent teams in the same conference from meeting before the conference finals or to meet the new rules about conferences with top four seeds. In this instance four teams swapped seeds to avoid this. Marquette and Mississippi moved up one; Georgia Tech and Oregon moved down one.

Ties went in favor of the team with the most points on current wins and losses. If still tied then better RPI.

The cut off for getting in as an at large was -0.25 points. It took 11 points to get a #1 seed.



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10705
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Hey, how come my favorite team is not higher and other teams which I disfavor are not lower?! No way!!!

Sorry, pilight, I just wanted to get in the first one of those this season. I'm sure more will follow as the calendar progresses.


Well *I* am NOT sorry, pilight, to have to complain. Kansas State? REALLY!



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Hey, how come my favorite team is not higher and other teams which I disfavor are not lower?! No way!!!

Sorry, pilight, I just wanted to get in the first one of those this season. I'm sure more will follow as the calendar progresses.


Well *I* am NOT sorry, pilight, to have to complain. Kansas State? REALLY!


That's what the numbers say



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44586



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Numbers are just numbers. They say what you program them to say.

And now you want to steal Hicks from me? Is nothing sacred in this forum?

I also want to know how much pat paypal'd you to put Maryland as a #3 seed. Surprised



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I also want to know how much pat paypal'd you to put Maryland as a #3 seed. Surprised


I'll grant that a #3 seed for the #26 RPI team without any great wins is a little high. OTOH, they are the weakest #3.



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44586



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What did ND do to deserve to go from #2 to #1... an Oregon St reality check?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
patsweetpat



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 1938
Location: Culver City, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
=I also want to know how much pat paypal'd you to put Maryland as a #3 seed. Surprised


pilight will be getting the money in weekly installments.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4033
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:



Armageddon over the Ancient Eight!

Creme today has Penn winning the Ivy at a 15 seed, while Pilight has sacred Harvard at 10.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:



Armageddon over the Ancient Eight!

Creme today has Penn winning the Ivy at a 15 seed, while Pilight has sacred Harvard at 10.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology


Creme breaks ties among undefeated conference leaders by most wins while I use RPI. Penn is 3-0 in Ivy play while Harvard is 1-0.

However, if I did break ties his way I would also have Penn as a #15 seed.



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 2804
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
I also want to know how much pat paypal'd you to put Maryland as a #3 seed. Surprised


I'll grant that a #3 seed for the #26 RPI team without any great wins is a little high. OTOH, they are the weakest #3.


Maryland did beat Louisville and Arizona St. Smile My similar formula has them as the worst #3 as well, but since the top teams seem to go through more than just our simple formulas, I'm can only bet that UConn, Baylor, South Carolina, Mississippi St, Florida St, and Notre Dame would be ranked ahead of Maryland as right now.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
I also want to know how much pat paypal'd you to put Maryland as a #3 seed. Surprised


I'll grant that a #3 seed for the #26 RPI team without any great wins is a little high. OTOH, they are the weakest #3.


Maryland did beat Louisville and Arizona St. Smile My similar formula has them as the worst #3 as well, but since the top teams seem to go through more than just our simple formulas, I'm can only bet that UConn, Baylor, South Carolina, Mississippi St, Florida St, and Notre Dame would be ranked ahead of Maryland as right now.


Maryland has two top 25 wins and no top 25 games left on their schedule. That's not the resume of a #1 or #2 seed.



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 2804
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Maryland has two top 25 wins and no top 25 games left on their schedule. That's not the resume of a #1 or #2 seed.


I guess the difference is I'm predicting the present, not the future, but Ohio St could always become a Top-25 team though that would only guarantee one more top-25 game left.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44586



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
I also want to know how much pat paypal'd you to put Maryland as a #3 seed. Surprised


I'll grant that a #3 seed for the #26 RPI team without any great wins is a little high. OTOH, they are the weakest #3.


Maryland did beat Louisville and Arizona St. Smile My similar formula has them as the worst #3 as well, but since the top teams seem to go through more than just our simple formulas, I'm can only bet that UConn, Baylor, South Carolina, Mississippi St, Florida St, and Notre Dame would be ranked ahead of Maryland as right now.


You both messed up (or your numbers did). ND lost to Tennessee.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
I also want to know how much pat paypal'd you to put Maryland as a #3 seed. Surprised


I'll grant that a #3 seed for the #26 RPI team without any great wins is a little high. OTOH, they are the weakest #3.


Maryland did beat Louisville and Arizona St. Smile My similar formula has them as the worst #3 as well, but since the top teams seem to go through more than just our simple formulas, I'm can only bet that UConn, Baylor, South Carolina, Mississippi St, Florida St, and Notre Dame would be ranked ahead of Maryland as right now.


You both messed up (or your numbers did). ND lost to Tennessee.


Or maybe I posted it this morning before that happened...



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44586



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
I also want to know how much pat paypal'd you to put Maryland as a #3 seed. Surprised


I'll grant that a #3 seed for the #26 RPI team without any great wins is a little high. OTOH, they are the weakest #3.


Maryland did beat Louisville and Arizona St. Smile My similar formula has them as the worst #3 as well, but since the top teams seem to go through more than just our simple formulas, I'm can only bet that UConn, Baylor, South Carolina, Mississippi St, Florida St, and Notre Dame would be ranked ahead of Maryland as right now.


You both messed up (or your numbers did). ND lost to Tennessee.


Or maybe I posted it this morning before that happened...


Pilight, you know ND has been vulnerable to losses to lesser teams all year, but you decided to put ND as a #1 seed because of what your numbers told you.

Did YOU believe ND was a #1 seed this morning, and if you didn't, what's the point of this exercise?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned


Last edited by Shades on 01/17/17 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
I also want to know how much pat paypal'd you to put Maryland as a #3 seed. Surprised


I'll grant that a #3 seed for the #26 RPI team without any great wins is a little high. OTOH, they are the weakest #3.


Maryland did beat Louisville and Arizona St. Smile My similar formula has them as the worst #3 as well, but since the top teams seem to go through more than just our simple formulas, I'm can only bet that UConn, Baylor, South Carolina, Mississippi St, Florida St, and Notre Dame would be ranked ahead of Maryland as right now.


You both messed up (or your numbers did). ND lost to Tennessee.


Or maybe I posted it this morning before that happened...


Pilight, you know ND has been vulnerable to losses to lesser teams all year, but you decided to put ND as a #1 seed despite what your numbers told you.

Did you believe ND was a #1 seed this morning, and if you didn't, what's the point of this exercise?


The numbers put ND at #1, based on what they had done through Sunday's games and the schedule they had remaining.

All the candidates for that last #1 spot have question marks. Who would you put there instead?



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
FollowtheCardinalRule



Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 5147
Location: Denver


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/16/17 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
I also want to know how much pat paypal'd you to put Maryland as a #3 seed. Surprised


I'll grant that a #3 seed for the #26 RPI team without any great wins is a little high. OTOH, they are the weakest #3.


Maryland did beat Louisville and Arizona St. Smile My similar formula has them as the worst #3 as well, but since the top teams seem to go through more than just our simple formulas, I'm can only bet that UConn, Baylor, South Carolina, Mississippi St, Florida St, and Notre Dame would be ranked ahead of Maryland as right now.


You both messed up (or your numbers did). ND lost to Tennessee.


Or maybe I posted it this morning before that happened...


Pilight, you know ND has been vulnerable to losses to lesser teams all year, but you decided to put ND as a #1 seed despite what your numbers told you.

Did you believe ND was a #1 seed this morning, and if you didn't, what's the point of this exercise?


The numbers put ND at #1, based on what they had done through Sunday's games and the schedule they had remaining.

All the candidates for that last #1 spot have question marks. Who would you put there instead?


Holy Coley's FIU!

Okay, in all seriousness, after today?

My 4 1 Seeds are...

UConn, Baylor, Maryland, and Mississippi State....


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/17/17 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
My 4 1 Seeds are...

UConn, Baylor, Maryland, and Mississippi State....


So you don't care about strength of schedule. Just beat a bunch of creampuffs and schedule one or two decent opponents. That's worthy of a #1 seed.



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10705
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/17/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay. I comprehend that your projections here are purely stat-driven. I also believe that things will look remarkable different in March. What factors will be responsible for The Discrepancy?



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/17/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Okay. I comprehend that your projections here are purely stat-driven. I also believe that things will look remarkable different in March. What factors will be responsible for The Discrepancy?


The schedule points will go from potential to actual. For example, right now the AAC teams benefit from having UConn on their schedule. When they lose to the Hussies, those points will vanish and they'll fall in the projection. The same will happen in the majors, with winners moving up and losers moving down.

The committee doesn't go strictly on stats. Intangibles like reputation and past tournament results play a big role in their decisions. That's why Maryland is a likely #2 and possible #1 even though the numbers aren't going to support such a seed.



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
Ladyvol777



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 210



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/17/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the end of the season Tennessee will be at least a # 4


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2160
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/17/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The committee doesn't go strictly on stats. Intangibles like reputation and past tournament results play a big role in their decisions. That's why Maryland is a likely #2 and possible #1 even though the numbers aren't going to support such a seed.


I think the entire Big Ten is going to be interesting to see, which I have said since a few months ago. In looking at their RPI, Maryland, Ohio State and the others behind them do NOT have very good numbers. Ohio State has very good losses but clearly didn't really play anyone other than those teams they lost to as their RPI is fairly low given their national ranking. It's going to be interesting to see where the committee ends up seeding these teams.


elsie



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 71



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/17 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zags will be there, period...


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44586



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/17 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
Zags will be there, period...


Are they going to win their conference?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
elsie



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 71



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/17 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they will.....Jill Barta, Laura Stockton, and Elle Tinkle will make it so....


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15199
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/17 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
I think they will.....Jill Barta, Laura Stockton, and Elle Tinkle will make it so....


They're gonna have to- I don't think the OOC schedule makes up for two losses to open conference play. I have a soft spot for the WCC, but I don't think it's a two-bid league.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
mikeyc22



Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 2221
Location: Connecticut


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/17 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
elsie wrote:
I think they will.....Jill Barta, Laura Stockton, and Elle Tinkle will make it so....


They're gonna have to- I don't think the OOC schedule makes up for two losses to open conference play. I have a soft spot for the WCC, but I don't think it's a two-bid league.


Not sure at this point that there are any mid majors that are a two bid league


Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 2830



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
elsie wrote:
I think they will.....Jill Barta, Laura Stockton, and Elle Tinkle will make it so....


They're gonna have to- I don't think the OOC schedule makes up for two losses to open conference play. I have a soft spot for the WCC, but I don't think it's a two-bid league.


Not sure at this point that there are any mid majors that are a two bid league


I don't think you need two worthy teams to be a 2-team league. If the leading team has an impressive enough resume on their own but lose their conference tournament, then a "1-bid conference" can have two bids. Is Green Bay that good? DePaul? (Or is the BE not a midmajor?) The American will probably have at least 2 bids, but again, do we consider them a midmajor?


mikeyc22



Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 2221
Location: Connecticut


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/17 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
elsie wrote:
I think they will.....Jill Barta, Laura Stockton, and Elle Tinkle will make it so....


They're gonna have to- I don't think the OOC schedule makes up for two losses to open conference play. I have a soft spot for the WCC, but I don't think it's a two-bid league.


Not sure at this point that there are any mid majors that are a two bid league


I don't think you need two worthy teams to be a 2-team league. If the leading team has an impressive enough resume on their own but lose their conference tournament, then a "1-bid conference" can have two bids. Is Green Bay that good? DePaul? (Or is the BE not a midmajor?) The American will probably have at least 2 bids, but again, do we consider them a midmajor?


Yeah was excluding the Big East and AAC.


Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 2830



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/20/17 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
elsie wrote:
I think they will.....Jill Barta, Laura Stockton, and Elle Tinkle will make it so....


They're gonna have to- I don't think the OOC schedule makes up for two losses to open conference play. I have a soft spot for the WCC, but I don't think it's a two-bid league.


Not sure at this point that there are any mid majors that are a two bid league


I don't think you need two worthy teams to be a 2-team league. If the leading team has an impressive enough resume on their own but lose their conference tournament, then a "1-bid conference" can have two bids. Is Green Bay that good? DePaul? (Or is the BE not a midmajor?) The American will probably have at least 2 bids, but again, do we consider them a midmajor?


Yeah was excluding the Big East and AAC.


I agree that both conferences are tweeners. So with Green Bay possibly losing their conference tourney, is the Horizon possibly the only 2-bid true midmajor conference? I can think of no other. This is definitely NOT the year of the midmajor.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote



Multiple Bid Conferences
8 ACC
8 SEC
7 P12
6 B12
3 AAC
3 B10
3 BEast
2 MVC

Just Missed: Georgia Tech, Missouri, Northwestern, Drexel
Last In: Northern Iowa, Arkansas, Creighton, Texas A&M

How did I arrive at this?

First, I gave two points for a win over a top 25 RPI team and one for a win over a 26-50 RPI team.

Then, I subtracted one point for a loss to a 26-50 team, and two for a loss against a sub-50 team.

I then added points based on the remaining schedule: .5 for a game remaining against a top 25 RPI team and .25 for a game against a 26-50 RPI team.

Teams more than one game under .500 in conference are not allowed in.

Many teams were moved within the same seed to prevent teams in the same conference from meeting before the conference finals or to meet the new rules about conferences with top four seeds. In this instance two teams swapped seeds to avoid this. Arkansas-Little Rock moved up one; Arkansas moved down one.

Ties went in favor of the team with the most points on current wins and losses. If still tied then better RPI.

The cut off for getting in as an at large was -2.5 points. It took 10.75 points to get a #1 seed.



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44586



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight, I think you can read my mind.
I'm glad you figured out ND, but I'm not sure I'm feeling that much better about FSU.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Pilight, I think you can read my mind.
I'm glad you figured out ND, but I'm not sure I'm feeling that much better about FSU.


You still haven't said who you think should be there



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44586



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Selection Committee have Mississippi St as a #1 seed, and Maryland as the top #3 seed.



The way Mississippi St are playing so far tonight, they seem to be backing up that #1 seed.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4505



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The Selection Committee have Mississippi St as a #1 seed, and Maryland as the top #3 seed.



The way Mississippi St are playing so far tonight, they seem to be backing up that #1 seed.


Looks about right, only surprise to me was Kentucky but that's just because I overlooked them since they were in and out of the top 25. They have a high RPI and strength of schedule and their only "bad" loss is Colorado.


Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 1897



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The Selection Committee have Mississippi St as a #1 seed, and Maryland as the top #3 seed.



The way Mississippi St are playing so far tonight, they seem to be backing up that #1 seed.


I like seeing two teams in that list that Marquette has beaten this season Smile - Arizona State (at home) and Oregon State (on the road)


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55045
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA surprised me a bit. Only one top 25 win, which is balanced out by the loss to Washington State.



_________________
A long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44586



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miss St went down. Pilight's looking like a genius for FSU now. Maryland? Naah



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
joetro



Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 300



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How on earth is UW ahead of ND? ND won H2H and has played a much tougher schedule with a much higher RPI. Yes, one more loss, but that's what happens when you play tough OOC teams. Furthermore, if Maryland was punished for poor schedule, how is UW not?


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44586



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND lost to Tennessee, and that's still fresh.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
joetro



Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 300



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It should be about way more than a game a week ago.


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4505



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Big Ten is pretty bad this year, so Maryland has multiple sub 150 RPI games left. They could easily fall to a 4 or 5 seed as they don't have many games that will help their RPI.

Kentucky is in a similar situation. Four games minimum left against sub RPI 100 teams. They have a small margin of error in keeping a top 4 seed.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20731



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/23/17 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There will only be one P12 #2...if that. And Maryland will be a #2. Maybe Texas as well.

Washington lives in the glow of the Plum effect. They aren't that good, it's just that Plum is good enough to grab them up by the bootstraps and carry them to win against most teams. I will be very surprised if they end up as a #2. This is however, going to be a fun seeding year. It's not going to be all pre-determined as it sometimes has felt to be in years past.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2160
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/24/17 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is mind-boggling how "bad" Ohio State is right now. I know they are mixing in the transfers and all that, but there is no flipping way that team shouldn't be a Top 16 squad. I have always maintained that McGuff was not a very good coach (excellent recruiter) and it seems like that is playing out here. Player for player, there is as much talent on that Ohio State roster as any other team in the nation. They are just not very disciplined and don't always play as a team and much of that falls on the head coach.

And before Buckeye fans jump all over me, I know their OOC losses are at home to South Carolina, vs Baylor on a neutral court, home vs Miami, at UConn. All are understandable, however, they should not lose at home to Miami. That's the one they definitely should have gotten. But to get blown out at Michigan State, a team that Purdue swept, just should not happen this year. Ohio State's talent vs MSU isn't even close.

Anyway, this year really blows for the entire conference.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin