RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Field of 64
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 01/25/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I'm happy to have David posting on rebbies. I'd be happy if Voepel would as well. I think it's important to have as many different viewpoints as possible. And if people actually know something, so much the better.

How much does the eye test really play into account? Because against UCONN, Maryland looked pretty damn good. However, they were playing at home and we were blowing them out by 19 before foul truble set in. This could be the Maryland team of 2006 or it could be the Maryland team of 2007/2016.

After that South Carolina/Mississippi State, I don't know who is 2-10 at this point.

I think this ill be a banner year for complaints about the bracket. I think there could be wailing and gnashing of teeth if some 3 seed has tOSU as their second round opponent. And if the highest seed from the PAC12 to get sent to Stockton is a 3 the Rockies won't block the cries of east coast bias.

This should also be a bracket filled with upsets once the 1st round chaff is winnowed out. There are a lot of teams that have had a huge swing between their best and worst efforts. Tenn is the best example, having beaten the Irish and nearly beaten MSSt while losing to Penn St, Miss & Auburn. The S16 games should be fun to watch.

justinabina

PostPosted: 01/25/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

You're absolutely right; DTS out.

I enjoy your posts. I find them informative and useful. I hope that's only out as in not bothering with the antagonists!

linkster

PostPosted: 01/25/17 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justinabina wrote:
linkster wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Hopefully this year the committee will finally decide to at least place a challenging 2 Seed in UCONNs bracket , its a cakewalk every year as is but i cant remember a time where i thought the 2 seed could compete in the huskies bracket . MD would be the perfect 2 or 3 seed to make it happen.

Isn't the top seed supposed to get the worst 2 seed? Isn't that the standard in a pure S curve seeding process? I'm sure the fans of the 5th best team would have no complaint in having their team go to Bridgeport. It's revealing that you pick the team that has played UConn toughest for the last 2 years. Maybe they should make Notre Dame or Fla St the 4 seed in UConn's region as well? Rolling Eyes

Doesn't it go best 1, worst 2, best 3, etc.? With considerations related to geography, separating teams from the same conference, etc.

As the 9th overall seed and top 3 seed, it seems Maryland would be in the Bridgeport regional - but of course, it's still January. Lots could change in the next month and a half.

Actually i wouldn't be surprised to see MD in Bridgeport. But over the years the only thing that is consistent about the committee's bracket is the inconsistency in their policies and procedures in siting teams.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/25/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
justinabina wrote:
linkster wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Hopefully this year the committee will finally decide to at least place a challenging 2 Seed in UCONNs bracket , its a cakewalk every year as is but i cant remember a time where i thought the 2 seed could compete in the huskies bracket . MD would be the perfect 2 or 3 seed to make it happen.

Isn't the top seed supposed to get the worst 2 seed? Isn't that the standard in a pure S curve seeding process? I'm sure the fans of the 5th best team would have no complaint in having their team go to Bridgeport. It's revealing that you pick the team that has played UConn toughest for the last 2 years. Maybe they should make Notre Dame or Fla St the 4 seed in UConn's region as well? Rolling Eyes

Doesn't it go best 1, worst 2, best 3, etc.? With considerations related to geography, separating teams from the same conference, etc.

As the 9th overall seed and top 3 seed, it seems Maryland would be in the Bridgeport regional - but of course, it's still January. Lots could change in the next month and a half.

Actually i wouldn't be surprised to see MD in Bridgeport. But over the years the only thing that is consistent about the committee's bracket is the inconsistency in their policies and procedures in siting teams.

agreed. geographic considerations are used...when convenient.

- Amanda Gorman
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/25/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

NOOOOO!

We need your perspective here. Just try not to let the other posters get under your skin.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/26/17 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

NOOOOO!

We need your perspective here. Just try not to let the other posters get under your skin.

Agreed!

ikcelaks

PostPosted: 01/26/17 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand how anyone can blame the selection committee for sending bad two and three seeds against UConn. The last three years, UConn has consistently received one of its toughest games in the Regional Final. The lack of appropriate competition can not be blamed on the match-ups.

2016: def Texas 86-65 (closest game)
2015: def Dayton 91-70 (Only Final vs ND closer)
2014: def Texas A&M 69-54 (closest game)

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/26/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ikcelaks wrote:
I don't understand how anyone can blame the selection committee for sending bad two and three seeds against UConn. The last three years, UConn has consistently received one of its toughest games in the Regional Final. The lack of appropriate competition can not be blamed on the match-ups.

2016: def Texas 86-65 (closest game)
2015: def Dayton 91-70 (Only Final vs ND closer)
2014: def Texas A&M 69-54 (closest game)

You have to also factor in the strength of those teams during those years and not now either. Also if you could list the other teams during those years who were also ranked the same Seed and compare who were the strongest vs the weakest during that specific season .

PostPosted: 01/26/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those weren't the two seeds. aTm wasn't the 2 seed in UConn's bracket in 2014, Duke was. The other three 2s were Baylor, WVU and Stanford who were ranked 5, 6 and 7 at the time. Duke was ranked 9. Duke lost to DePaul in the second round.

aTm, UConn's ultimate Regional opponent, was the three seed and was ranked 15th going into the tournament. The other three 3 seeds were ranked 4, 10, and 14.

2014 is actually an excellent example of the typical UConn cakewalk to the final four. The selection committee gave them the weakest 2 and 3 seeds, and their four actual path-to-Nashville opponents' pre-tournament rankings were unranked, unranked, unranked, 15th ranked. Hell of a gauntlet the committee handed 'em there. Rolling Eyes

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/26/17 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Those weren't the two seeds. aTm wasn't the 2 seed in UConn's bracket in 2014, Duke was. The other three 2s were Baylor, WVU and Stanford who were ranked 5, 6 and 7 at the time. Duke was ranked 9. Duke lost to DePaul in the second round.

aTm, UConn's ultimate Regional opponent, was the three seed and was ranked 15th going into the tournament. The other three 3 seeds were ranked 4, 10, and 14.

2014 is actually an excellent example of the typical UConn cakewalk to the final four. The selection committee gave them the weakest 2 and 3 seeds, and their four actual path-to-Nashville opponents' pre-tournament rankings were unranked, unranked, unranked, 15th ranked. Hell of a gauntlet the committee handed 'em there. Rolling Eyes

The #1 overall seed is supposed to get the weakest #2, etc in a fair bracket. In pretty much every sport's playoffs the top seed has the "easiest" road to the championship. Also the poll rankings aren't the rankings the committee has given to the teams.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/26/17 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

God I love this. I truly, truly do.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 01/26/17 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
greg5222

PostPosted: 01/26/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Then you refer to me as "expert media" in quotes so as to try to belittle what I do.

Why the mods put up with your repeated crap is beyond me, but really, it gets old, don't you think? Rolling Eyes

Can't you comment on a topic without trying to pat yourself on the back and trying to troll people you don't like?

"Crappy" and "lousy" are your mischaracterations, not mine. Mine was a mature analysis. You aren't getting angry at anybody else saying that McGuff ain't all that. I wonder why?

I feel your belitting complaint about me is exactly what you're doing to me. How else do you explain when you jump on my opinions and ask "what WNBA professionals told you this?", like what you did with my opinion on Kelsey Plum? You looked down your nose about the opinion about Copper, because it didn't match your boy Megdal's opinion, and called Copper this year's "Rebkell superstar" in a mocking way as in "what do you guys know, you're just amateurs on a little messageboard". Well, it turns out #7 is a lot better than #30. That shows that even though the media have all these advantages and they should be better at analysis and prognostication, it's not always the case, so quit acting like it's always the case.

I think you do a great job on the podcasts and interviews. I don't think anybody's denied that. So I don't understand why you would even want to get wrapped up in the messageboard banter. Why do you want the image of someone who gets angry at somebody's opinion on the messageboard? It's not good PR for you. Can you imagine Mechelle Voepel or anybody else like her doing what you're doing on the messageboard? I really can't. Nobody else does. Just you.

Here's Mechelle Voepel's view on messageboards:

I love Mechelle Voepel. It's not because she's "right all the time" because nobody's right all the time. She's obviously smart and has figured out how to handle herself in the public eye. That's a big part of the reason she's at the level she's at. Media people looking to take that next step in their career could learn a lot from Mechelle Voepel.

Good Dave. Don't even bother.

PEACE & LOVE GO TERPS!!!!!

PostPosted: 01/26/17 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Art, can you name one 1 seed who in the history of the 64 team tournament faced a ranked team in the first 2 rounds? Their first game is against a 16 seed and the second against the winner of the 8-9 game. I can't remember a ranked team being seeded 8th or 9th. can you?

And as far as a cakewalk, I'll agree that they beat those teams rather convincingly, but there's no way to know how those teams would have done in the other regions. Dayton, the way they were shooting 3's in the tournament, could have ended up in the final four if they had been placed in different region. Whenever the seeding is based on a season-long resume there are always going to be teams that come alive in March. Last year Tenn was a perfect example of that. This year it could be tOSU.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/26/17 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Art, can you name one 1 seed who in the history of the 64 team tournament faced a ranked team in the first 2 rounds? Their first game is against a 16 seed and the second against the winner of the 8-9 game. I can't remember a ranked team being seeded 8th or 9th. can you?

Actually, it happens all the time. Starting in 1994, the first year of the 64 team tournament...

In 1994 #15 Kansas got a 9 seed, #18 Washington got an 8 seed, #19 Florida International got an 8 seed, and #21 Boise State got a 9 seed
Kansas lost in the second round to #1 seed Penn State
Washington lost in the second round to #1 seed Purdue

In 1995 #25 Old Dominion got a 9 seed

In 1997 Michigan State got an 8 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed North Carolina

In 1998 #15 Western Kentucky got an 8 seed, #19 Stephen F Austin got a 9 seed, and #20 Hawaii got a 9 seed
Western Kentucky lost in the second round to #1 seed Tennessee

In 1999 #18 Penn State got an 8 seed and #20 Virginia got a 9 seed
Penn State lost in the second round to Louisiana Tech

In 2000 #21 Arizona got an 8 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed Tennessee

In 2001 #23 Baylor got an 8 seed

In 2003 #21 Green Bay got an 8 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed LSU

In 2004 #23 Michigan State got an 8 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed Texas

In 2006 #25 Minnesota got an 8 seed

In 2007 #21 Green Bay got a 9 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed Connecticut

In 2008 #18 Utah got an 8 seed

In 2009 #22 Florida got an 8 seed

In 2010 #22 UCLA got an 8 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed Nebraska

In 2011 #24 Marquette got an 8 seed

In 2012 #16 Ohio State got an 8 seed and #24 Princeton got a 9 seed

In 2013 #25 Florida State got an 8 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed Baylor

In 2015 #13 Princeton got an 8 seed and #24 Seton Hall got a 9 seed
Princeton lost in the second round to #1 seed Maryland

PostPosted: 01/26/17 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No fair using facts. Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 01/26/17 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
No fair using facts. Wink

It goes the other way too. You'll note that UConn has faced ranked opponents in the second round as a #1 seed on multiple occasions. They don't always get a cake walk.

PostPosted: 01/26/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:

Actually, it happens all the time. Starting in 1994, the first year of the 64 team tournament...

In 1994 #15 Kansas got a 9 seed, #18 Washington got an 8 seed, #19 Florida International got an 8 seed, and #21 Boise State got a 9 seed
Kansas lost in the second round to #1 seed Penn State
Washington lost in the second round to #1 seed Purdue

In 1995 #25 Old Dominion got a 9 seed

In 1997 Michigan State got an 8 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed North Carolina

In 1998 #15 Western Kentucky got an 8 seed, #19 Stephen F Austin got a 9 seed, and #20 Hawaii got a 9 seed
Western Kentucky lost in the second round to #1 seed Tennessee

In 1999 #18 Penn State got an 8 seed and #20 Virginia got a 9 seed
Penn State lost in the second round to Louisiana Tech

In 2000 #21 Arizona got an 8 seed

In 2001 #23 Baylor got an 8 seed

In 2003 #21 Green Bay got an 8 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed LSU

In 2004 #23 Michigan State got an 8 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed Texas

In 2006 #25 Minnesota got an 8 seed

In 2007 #21 Green Bay got a 9 seed

In 2008 #18 Utah got an 8 seed

In 2009 #22 Florida got an 8 seed

In 2010 #22 UCLA got an 8 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed Nebraska

In 2011 #24 Marquette got an 8 seed

In 2012 #16 Ohio State got an 8 seed and #24 Princeton got a 9 seed

In 2013 #25 Florida State got an 8 seed
They lost in the second round to #1 seed Baylor

In 2015 #13 Princeton got an 8 seed and #24 Seton Hall got a 9 seed
Princeton lost in the second round to #1 seed Maryland

I stand corrected. Embarassed

But notice that in the year Art used, all four one seeds faced unranked teams in their first 2 rounds.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/26/17 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

But notice that in the year Art used, all four one seeds faced unranked teams in their first 2 rounds.

I was responding to a post that cited three years for a ludicrous proposition.

Now show me another team in 2014 that had remotely as easy a route to the FF as three unranked teams and the fifteenth ranked team. The committee gave UConn easy seeds, and then in reality it turned into what can only be called a total cakewalk. Nothing you've written diminishes that reality. All other FF teams faced two ranked teams and higher ranked teams. Stanford 14 &12, ND 21 & 5. Heck Maryland had to beat the 3rd and 4th ranked teams in the country, while there wasn't a team in UConn's entire region ranked higher than 9. You haven't even tried to address that reality.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/26/17 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

Now show me another team in 2014 that had remotely as easy a route to the FF as three unranked teams and the fifteenth ranked team. The committee gave UConn easy seeds, and then in reality it turned into what can only be called a total cakewalk. Nothing you've written diminishes that reality. All other FF teams faced two ranked teams and higher ranked teams. Stanford 14 &12, ND 21 & 5. Heck Maryland had to beat the 3rd and 4th ranked teams in the country, while there wasn't a team in UConn's entire region ranked higher than 9. You haven't even tried to address that reality.

You seem to be convinced that the opinions of the AP are the last word on who is a worthy opponent and who isn't. Seeding is based on an entire season of play but the tournament is played at the end when some teams get hot while others regress. UConn played who they played. If you want to believe that the committee somehow rigged the system I am not going to spend hours arguing with you about it.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/26/17 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
pilight wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
pilight wrote:
UCLA surprised me a bit. Only one top 25 win, which is balanced out by the loss to Washington State.

That top 25 win was against the #7 RPI team.

Who would you switch UCLA out for?

The numbers I used above suggest Virginia Tech should get the last #4 spot.

The Hokies are having a good year. Their best win (Tennessee, RPI #16) isn't as good as UCLA's best win (Oregon State, RPI #7). But their worst loss (at Miami, RPI #21) wasn't as bad as UCLA's worst loss (at Washington State, RPI #64). Losing their most recent two games by 25 and 28 points (respectively) probably didn't help VaTech's cause. But assuming that was a momentary blip and that Virginia Tech will quickly revert to prior form, I could imagine the Bruins and Hokies flip-flopping come tourney selection time (depending on how UCLA performs going forward, of course).

Anyway, still lots of basketball to be played, of course.

Since this VaTech conversation, there have been... developments.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/26/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

You'll note that when I replied to you with -

ArtBest23 wrote:

The Hokies are having a great year, but don't overestimate what "prior form" actually represents. Four games ago, before the Miami game, I wrote:

ArtBest23 wrote:
VaTech is undefeated, but their schedule has been pretty awful (RPI SOS is 108, Nonconf SOS is 174). Miami almost certainly presents the best pair of guards they have faced so far in Motley and Thomas.

Since then, they've had to face, and lost to, Miami, Duke and FSU. They still have to play Syracuse, ND, Louisville, NCSt and Miami again.

I expect UCLA will be comfortably ahead of VaTech by selection day.

I wasn't even assuming a thrashing by UVA. I think VaTech will be worrying about making the tournament, not about being seeded ahead of UCLA.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/26/17 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

You'll note that when I replied to you with -

ArtBest23 wrote:

The Hokies are having a great year, but don't overestimate what "prior form" actually represents. Four games ago, before the Miami game, I wrote:

ArtBest23 wrote:
VaTech is undefeated, but their schedule has been pretty awful (RPI SOS is 108, Nonconf SOS is 174). Miami almost certainly presents the best pair of guards they have faced so far in Motley and Thomas.

Since then, they've had to face, and lost to, Miami, Duke and FSU. They still have to play Syracuse, ND, Louisville, NCSt and Miami again.

I expect UCLA will be comfortably ahead of VaTech by selection day.

You did. It's true.

Anyway, the Bruins have work to do themselves. Still a big chunk of regular season left.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/27/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

You seem to be convinced that the opinions of the AP are the last word on who is a worthy opponent and who isn't. Seeding is based on an entire season of play but the tournament is played at the end when some teams get hot while others regress. UConn played who they played. If you want to believe that the committee somehow rigged the system I am not going to spend hours arguing with you about it.

Ive felt this trend for the past 5 years . Understandable they are normally the top overall seed but for geez sakes at least give them some type of competition in there bracket. Its like the comittee will set them up with the most awkwardly inferior team with a inflated record to make them look good and challenging but in reality we know Regional Final vs UCONN will be a blow out . I think i saw UCONN and kentucky in the same regional at least 3 years in a row then it got switched to texas . Both teams are formidable and great talent but we know there not on UCONN's level very few are but the few that are never get put in there bracket . They have ot always duke it out with the rest of the country in challenging brackets themselves while UCONN starts planning FF plans during the 1st Round . At least even it up a bit in the tourney this year if PARITY is the theme supposebly and there seem to be a NUMBER of teams that can Knock off UCONN on a bad night i guess ...#KanyeShrug

PostPosted: 01/27/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

Ive felt this trend for the past 5 years . Understandable they are normally the top overall seed but for geez sakes at least give them some type of competition in there bracket. Its like the comittee will set them up with the most awkwardly inferior team with a inflated record to make them look good and challenging but in reality we know Regional Final vs UCONN will be a blow out . I think i saw UCONN and kentucky in the same regional at least 3 years in a row then it got switched to texas . Both teams are formidable and great talent but we know there not on UCONN's level very few are but the few that are never get put in there bracket . They have ot always duke it out with the rest of the country in challenging brackets themselves while UCONN starts planning FF plans during the 1st Round . At least even it up a bit in the tourney this year if PARITY is the theme supposebly and there seem to be a NUMBER of teams that can Knock off UCONN on a bad night i guess ...#KanyeShrug

I think that UConn's regional has been easier than the others, but I do not feel it has anything to do with making things easy for UConn. Nor do I feel that UConn has needed any help. UConn could have won the past three years no matter who they faced on their path to the championship. They have just been that much better than the competition. The only problem I have is that UConn almost always has to travel VERY short distances before heading to the Final Four. I think in the past few years the only real road trip they made was to Nebraska. Other than that it seems like it's mostly been Bridgeport or Albany, while no other top 10 team has basically had mostly home games for their regionals. (Caveat: I think that UConn would have won regardless the past few years, but I just think the regional venues are unfair. I remember a lot of Huskies' fans complaining when Notre Dame and Louisville hosted regionals a few years back, but isn't Bridgeport mostly UConn fans? And wasn't Albany? There are no other good schools anywhere near these locations, so UConn fans basically make it a home crowd.)

linkster

PostPosted: 01/27/17 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as the siting of the regionals, I agree that UConn gets an advantage. I can remeber on the men's side that it seemed that either Greensboro or Raleigh was an annual site for their regionals and that either Duke or UNC got that advantage while the UConn men seemed to be sent out west a lot. That's why I am in favor of holding all the regionals in one city. My choice is Las Vegas.

And as far as who gets put in UConn's region, I'd like to read some specifics as to who exactly would have given UConn a tougher time in the last 3 years. And remember that as the top 1 seed the best team that in fairness can be put against them would be the 8th & 9th seeded teams. Last year MSSt was better than how they played CT and the year before the same could be said of Texas. And as far as having the crowd behind them, I think UConn showed this year that a sold out arena on the road doesn't rattle them.

I think that the perception that UConn gets an otherwise weak region is more about the fact that UConn plays better in big games than most other elite teams, many of whom simply play poorly in the big spotlight. UConn has played stinker games in the past but in recent years they have played like a fine-tuned machine while many of their opponents have had that deer in the headlights look.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: