RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Field of 64
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/24/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
It is mind-boggling how "bad" Ohio State is right now. I know they are mixing in the transfers and all that, but there is no flipping way that team shouldn't be a Top 16 squad. I have always maintained that McGuff was not a very good coach (excellent recruiter) and it seems like that is playing out here. Player for player, there is as much talent on that Ohio State roster as any other team in the nation. They are just not very disciplined and don't always play as a team and much of that falls on the head coach.

And before Buckeye fans jump all over me, I know their OOC losses are at home to South Carolina, vs Baylor on a neutral court, home vs Miami, at UConn. All are understandable, however, they should not lose at home to Miami. That's the one they definitely should have gotten. But to get blown out at Michigan State, a team that Purdue swept, just should not happen this year. Ohio State's talent vs MSU isn't even close.

Anyway, this year really blows for the entire conference.

Agreed. The fact that OSU only beat winless Wisconsin by 9 on Thursday in Columbus really highlights your point.

This is definitely Michigan's year to make a leap. The losses at OSU and MD pretty much mean they have no chance to finish 1st or 2nd, but they are in line for a 3-4 spot with the double-bye and appear to be slotted for one of the few B1G NCAA slots.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/24/17 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Player for player, there is as much talent on that Ohio State roster as any other team in the nation. They are just not very disciplined and don't always play as a team and much of that falls on the head coach.

Yep, I was about a year ahead of the curve on this one too. Check out my composed analyst of the McGuff situation that ruffled the feathers of the "expert media".

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=86492&start=6

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 01/24/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They may seem to be punishing Maryland but ultimately they could end up hurting other teams, quite the conundrum.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/24/17 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
They may seem to be punishing Maryland but ultimately they could end up hurting other teams, quite the conundrum.

If Maryland falls to a 4-seed, can you imagine being the 1-seed that has to play them in the Sweet 16? Ridiculous. The committee HAS to look at more than RPI, and it seems they do (as when they rightfully dropped Notre Dame to the 7th spot despite ND being 3rd in RPI) but sometimes it seems like RPI is all that they have considered (as in having Kentucky 15th, when they are 14th in RPI and much lower in the computers and the polls).

pilight

PostPosted: 01/24/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

If Maryland falls to a 4-seed, can you imagine being the 1-seed that has to play them in the Sweet 16? Ridiculous. The committee HAS to look at more than RPI, and it seems they do (as when they rightfully dropped Notre Dame to the 7th spot despite ND being 3rd in RPI) but sometimes it seems like RPI is all that they have considered (as in having Kentucky 15th, when they are 14th in RPI and much lower in the computers and the polls).

What should they look at that would make Maryland a higher seed?

PostPosted: 01/24/17 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
UCLA surprised me a bit. Only one top 25 win, which is balanced out by the loss to Washington State.

That top 25 win was against the #7 RPI team.

Who would you switch UCLA out for?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/24/17 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

What should they look at that would make Maryland a higher seed?

The eye test, for one.

Look, I think Maryland made their own bed by scheduling such a weak OOC schedule, so I shed no tears for them. I just feel bad for the teams in their bracket because I think Maryland is a pretty scary team. And their RPI is expected to drop a bit even if they win out (because of the weakness of their remaining regular season opponents), so Maryland could possibly drop further. At least some of the teams around them will lose in their conference tournaments, so that may keep Maryland as a 3-seed.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/24/17 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
pilight wrote:
UCLA surprised me a bit. Only one top 25 win, which is balanced out by the loss to Washington State.

The numbers I used above suggest Virginia Tech should get the last #4 spot.

PostPosted: 01/24/17 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
pilight wrote:

The numbers I used above suggest Virginia Tech should get the last #4 spot.

The Hokies are having a good year. Their best win (Tennessee, RPI #16) isn't as good as UCLA's best win (Oregon State, RPI #7). But their worst loss (at Miami, RPI #21) wasn't as bad as UCLA's worst loss (at Washington State, RPI #64). Losing their most recent two games by 25 and 28 points (respectively) probably didn't help VaTech's cause. But assuming that was a momentary blip and that Virginia Tech will quickly revert to prior form, I could imagine the Bruins and Hokies flip-flopping come tourney selection time (depending on how UCLA performs going forward, of course).

Anyway, still lots of basketball to be played, of course.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/25/17 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

The Hokies are having a good year. Their best win (Tennessee, RPI #16) isn't as good as UCLA's best win (Oregon State, RPI #7). But their worst loss (at Miami, RPI #21) wasn't as bad as UCLA's worst loss (at Washington State, RPI #64). Losing their most recent two games by 25 and 28 points (respectively) probably didn't help VaTech's cause. But assuming that was a momentary blip and that Virginia Tech will quickly revert to prior form, I could imagine the Bruins and Hokies flip-flopping come tourney selection time (depending on how UCLA performs going forward, of course).

Anyway, still lots of basketball to be played, of course.

The Hokies are having a great year, but don't overestimate what "prior form" actually represents. Four games ago, before the Miami game, I wrote:

ArtBest23 wrote:
VaTech is undefeated, but their schedule has been pretty awful (RPI SOS is 108, Nonconf SOS is 174). Miami almost certainly presents the best pair of guards they have faced so far in Motley and Thomas.

Since then, they've had to face, and lost to, Miami, Duke and FSU. They still have to play Syracuse, ND, Louisville, NCSt and Miami again.

I expect UCLA will be comfortably ahead of VaTech by selection day.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 01/25/17 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/25/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The Selection Committee have Mississippi St as a #1 seed, and Maryland as the top #3 seed.

The way Mississippi St are playing so far tonight, they seem to be backing up that #1 seed.

My guess is the Terps would beat half the teams listed above them.

PostPosted: 01/25/17 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look, I think Maryland made their own bed by scheduling such a weak OOC schedule, so I shed no tears for them. I just feel bad for the teams in their bracket because I think Maryland is a pretty scary team. And their RPI is expected to drop a bit even if they win out (because of the weakness of their remaining regular season opponents), so Maryland could possibly drop further. At least some of the teams around them will lose in their conference tournaments, so that may keep Maryland as a 3-seed.

Hey, some #1 could get Notre Dame or FSU as a 2 and Maryland as a 4 in their bracket. That would make for a challenging regional.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/25/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I think they COULD beat most of the teams above them. They also could lose to any of the teams above them.

It's not like they've been dominating the likes of PSU, Rutgers and Mich.

You might say the same about any of the first 9 or maybe even 13 teams.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/25/17 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Player for player, there is as much talent on that Ohio State roster as any other team in the nation. They are just not very disciplined and don't always play as a team and much of that falls on the head coach.

Yep, I was about a year ahead of the curve on this one too. Check out my composed analyst of the McGuff situation that ruffled the feathers of the "expert media".

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=86492&start=6

So let me get this straight...over a year ago you say McGuff is a lousy coach. I say you're wrong, and he takes that team to the Sweet Sixteen. A round later than his team from the year before that. Previously he took a Xavier team, a mid-major, deep into the tournament.

And now, because his top 25 team isn't playing all that great, but note they are still ranked, you think that you were right over a year ago that he's a crappy coach.

Then you refer to me as "expert media" in quotes so as to try to belittle what I do.

Why the mods put up with your repeated crap is beyond me, but really, it gets old, don't you think? Rolling Eyes

Can't you comment on a topic without trying to pat yourself on the back and trying to troll people you don't like?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/25/17 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I think they COULD beat most of the teams above them. They also could lose to any of the teams above them.

It's not like they've been dominating the likes of PSU, Rutgers and Mich.

You might say the same about any of the first 9 or maybe even 13 teams.

While nothing in life is guaranteed, of course, I'm relatively confident Maryland would beat the four teams listed immediately above them.

PostPosted: 01/25/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's just say I don't share your Terps enthusiasm.

Basically, they haven't beaten a team with a pulse in nearly two months.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/25/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Let's just say I don't share your Terps enthusiasm.

Basically, they haven't beaten a team with a pulse in nearly two months.

You may have mistaken observation for enthusiasm.

PostPosted: 01/25/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Then you refer to me as "expert media" in quotes so as to try to belittle what I do.

Why the mods put up with your repeated crap is beyond me, but really, it gets old, don't you think? Rolling Eyes

Can't you comment on a topic without trying to pat yourself on the back and trying to troll people you don't like?

"Crappy" and "lousy" are your mischaracterations, not mine. Mine was a mature analysis. You aren't getting angry at anybody else saying that McGuff ain't all that. I wonder why?

I feel your belitting complaint about me is exactly what you're doing to me. How else do you explain when you jump on my opinions and ask "what WNBA professionals told you this?", like what you did with my opinion on Kelsey Plum? You looked down your nose about the opinion about Copper, because it didn't match your boy Megdal's opinion, and called Copper this year's "Rebkell superstar" in a mocking way as in "what do you guys know, you're just amateurs on a little messageboard". Well, it turns out #7 is a lot better than #30. That shows that even though the media have all these advantages and they should be better at analysis and prognostication, it's not always the case, so quit acting like it's always the case.

I think you do a great job on the podcasts and interviews. I don't think anybody's denied that. So I don't understand why you would even want to get wrapped up in the messageboard banter. Why do you want the image of someone who gets angry at somebody's opinion on the messageboard? It's not good PR for you. Can you imagine Mechelle Voepel or anybody else like her doing what you're doing on the messageboard? I really can't. Nobody else does. Just you.

Here's Mechelle Voepel's view on messageboards:

I love Mechelle Voepel. It's not because she's "right all the time" because nobody's right all the time. She's obviously smart and has figured out how to handle herself in the public eye. That's a big part of the reason she's at the level she's at. Media people looking to take that next step in their career could learn a lot from Mechelle Voepel.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 01/25/17 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/25/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully this year the committee will finally decide to at least place a challenging 2 Seed in UCONNs bracket , its a cakewalk every year as is but i cant remember a time where i thought the 2 seed could compete in the huskies bracket . MD would be the perfect 2 or 3 seed to make it happen.

PostPosted: 01/25/17 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Hopefully this year the committee will finally decide to at least place a challenging 2 Seed in UCONNs bracket , its a cakewalk every year as is but i cant remember a time where i thought the 2 seed could compete in the huskies bracket . MD would be the perfect 2 or 3 seed to make it happen.

Just as it was virtually impossible to do last year, it will be virtually impossible to avoid this year, imo.

PostPosted: 01/25/17 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm happy to have David posting on rebbies. I'd be happy if Voepel would as well. I think it's important to have as many different viewpoints as possible. And if people actually know something, so much the better.

- Amanda Gorman
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/25/17 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm happy to have David posting on rebbies. I'd be happy if Voepel would as well. I think it's important to have as many different viewpoints as possible. And if people actually know something, so much the better.

How much does the eye test really play into account? Because against UCONN, Maryland looked pretty damn good. However, they were playing at home and we were blowing them out by 19 before foul truble set in. This could be the Maryland team of 2006 or it could be the Maryland team of 2007/2016.

After that South Carolina/Mississippi State, I don't know who is 2-10 at this point.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/25/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Isn't the top seed supposed to get the worst 2 seed? Isn't that the standard in a pure S curve seeding process? I'm sure the fans of the 5th best team would have no complaint in having their team go to Bridgeport. It's revealing that you pick the team that has played UConn toughest for the last 2 years. Maybe they should make Notre Dame or Fla St the 4 seed in UConn's region as well? Rolling Eyes

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/25/17 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

"Crappy" and "lousy" are your mischaracterations, not mine. Mine was a mature analysis. You aren't getting angry at anybody else saying that McGuff ain't all that. I wonder why?

I feel your belitting complaint about me is exactly what you're doing to me. How else do you explain when you jump on my opinions and ask "what WNBA professionals told you this?", like what you did with my opinion on Kelsey Plum? You looked down your nose about the opinion about Copper, because it didn't match your boy Megdal's opinion, and called Copper this year's "Rebkell superstar" in a mocking way as in "what do you guys know, you're just amateurs on a little messageboard". Well, it turns out #7 is a lot better than #30. That shows that even though the media have all these advantages and they should be better at analysis and prognostication, it's not always the case, so quit acting like it's always the case.

I think you do a great job on the podcasts and interviews. I don't think anybody's denied that. So I don't understand why you would even want to get wrapped up in the messageboard banter. Why do you want the image of someone who gets angry at somebody's opinion on the messageboard? It's not good PR for you. Can you imagine Mechelle Voepel or anybody else like her doing what you're doing on the messageboard? I really can't. Nobody else does. Just you.

Here's Mechelle Voepel's view on messageboards:

I love Mechelle Voepel. It's not because she's "right all the time" because nobody's right all the time. She's obviously smart and has figured out how to handle herself in the public eye. That's a big part of the reason she's at the level she's at. Media people looking to take that next step in their career could learn a lot from Mechelle Voepel.

You're absolutely right; DTS out.

justinabina

PostPosted: 01/25/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Isn't the top seed supposed to get the worst 2 seed? Isn't that the standard in a pure S curve seeding process? I'm sure the fans of the 5th best team would have no complaint in having their team go to Bridgeport. It's revealing that you pick the team that has played UConn toughest for the last 2 years. Maybe they should make Notre Dame or Fla St the 4 seed in UConn's region as well? Rolling Eyes

Doesn't it go best 1, worst 2, best 3, etc.? With considerations related to geography, separating teams from the same conference, etc.

As the 9th overall seed and top 3 seed, it seems Maryland would be in the Bridgeport regional - but of course, it's still January. Lots could change in the next month and a half.

Last edited by justinabina on 01/25/17 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: