RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

You better Belibi it
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/07/17 2:57 am    ::: You better Belibi it Reply Reply with quote

15-yr old Francesca Belibi of Regis Jesuit of Aurora, Colorado

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Hl_zEvsLrY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've got her penciled in for the 2023 draft.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 01/07/17 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“I didn’t expect it to be honest with you,” said Belibi, who finished with a game-high 21 points.

“I don’t know, I just did it,” she added. “I didn’t realize it went in until I heard the crowd and heard the snap (of the rim). Then I definitely heard my teammates. I think the crowd definitely understands the importance behind it — the first girl to dunk — but it was completely unexpected.

“Girls don’t dunk.”

Quote:
Mattei had seen Belibi dunk with a tennis ball as a freshman and then do it for real in practice during the club season. But it finally happened in a game and the video clip when viral immediately after the game, going all the way to ESPN’s SportsCenter.

“It’s a shot, just like a 3-point shot, so I tell her if you want to try it, go for it,” Mattei said. “It was amazing, it was a real thrill. I had to call a time out, everyone was screaming. It’s just unseen.”

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/sports/preps/girls-basketball/girls-basketball-regis-jesuits-francesca-belibi-first-girl-dunk-colorado/

Shades

PostPosted: 01/07/17 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's an article from a year ago, so they saw it coming.

Francesca Belibi of Regis Jesuit may be first girl to dunk in Colorado high school game

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/01/16/francesca-belibi-of-regis-jesuit-may-be-first-girl-to-dunk-in-colorado-high-school-game/

Quote:
For too long, playing basketball was out of Francesca Belibi’s reach. Only recently has she been able to grab hold and enjoy it.

“I always wanted to play, but my parents didn’t have time to drop me off to deal with practice and everything,” she said. “I had to wait until high school to try out.”

Now a 14-year-old freshman at Class 5A Regis Jesuit, Belibi may prove to be one of the state’s most intriguing young talents in many years.

Quote:
Belibi is 6-foot-1 and 174 pounds. Nevermind that she is as raw as a cold Rocky Mountain morning in January. Though she entered this season not even knowing the rules of basketball, Belibi is near the front of the line to become the first girl to dunk in a Colorado high school game, and do it regularly.

Girls basketball is played below the net, although Belibi could help change that.

I'm a Belibier!

Quote:
The Belibi family moved from Kansas seven years ago. Francesca’s parents are doctors, and she has played tennis since she was 4 years old.

Belibi, one of the first Raiders off the bench, entered the weekend fifth in scoring (averaging 5.1 points) on her team, third in rebounding (5.3) and tops in blocked shots (15). Those numbers figure to rise as she learns more about the game and how to develop her skills.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/17 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look how far away she is from the basket when she starts lifting the ball above her head.

Last edited by Shades on 06/01/18 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durantula

PostPosted: 01/08/17 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well hopefully Colorado was recruiting her before this because afterwords she is going to be get a lot of attention that she may not have had previously.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Well hopefully Colorado was recruiting her before this because afterwords she is going to be get a lot of attention that she may not have had previously.

We'll see how she progresses, but the last time I was this intrigued by a young player dunking, it was Griner.... who was also a "late bloomer". This player is only 6' tall, so this is matching what male players at that height can do.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/08/17 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty impressive. And she could very well add some inches yet, as freshmen in HS tend to grow more, though females less so than males.

PostPosted: 01/09/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's as impressive a dunk as I've seen from a 6-0/6-1 player, especially the one hand ball control, which suggests she may have large hands as well as great vertical leap.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bm05n3OiAVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Shades

PostPosted: 01/09/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here it is with game audio

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GnWiTDbHC6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brinx

PostPosted: 01/09/17 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her ball control on that dunk was impressive. Will be interesting to see how she develops.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/09/17 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Blue Star currently ranks Belibi as the 15th best player in the Class of 2019.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 01/09/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saw that. Impressive. Have yall seen Ashlyn Watkins?
https://youtu.be/evN4EuvAzyo
sammieee

PostPosted: 01/11/17 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She likes ND, Stanford and Princeton at the moment.

Both of her parents are doctors, so academics seem to be her #1 priority.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18452277/regis-jesuit-girls-basketball-player-francesca-belibi-aftermath-dunk

Shades

PostPosted: 01/12/17 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
She likes ND, Stanford and Princeton at the moment.

Both of her parents are doctors, so academics seem to be her #1 priority.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18452277/regis-jesuit-girls-basketball-player-francesca-belibi-aftermath-dunk

It sounds like she's serious about continuing to play ball. That's good.
But we gotta talk her out of ND. What about Duke? EWill went to Duke!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/12/17 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:

Quote:

She can palm a men's basketball, that's how big her hands are

For her height, she has the biggest hands I've ever seen on a girl.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/13/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She has what Rob Clough would refer to as a "savant talent", meaning that on top of her basketball skills, she has a particular physical attribute (or attributes) that gives her an extra advantage.

Rob used the term in describing Alana Beard, noting:
For Beard, it was her long arms that gave her an edge. She was certainly quick, agile and extremely clever with her decision-making, but her arms allowed her to reach around players and poke the ball away for a steal & layup (her signature play), to play exceptional post defense, and to post up on the left block for a money turnaround jumper.

Alana is 5-11 with elite athleticism. But the "savant talent" was the 6-4 wingspan.

Belibi is about 6-1, with a vertical leap estimated at 30 inches. But the savant talent is her 6-8 wingspan. That wingspan will allow her to defend multiple positions, including players who are significantly taller than she is. I imagine that it also explains why she was one of the best in Colorado at tennis (doubles), as her net coverage is spectacular.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/13/17 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"She can palm a men's basketball, that's how big her hands are," Mattei said. "She can take one dribble from the corner 3-point line and dunk."

Learning to play basketball, however, was far more complicated. She didn't become a starter until last February. She averaged 6.3 points and 5.9 rebounds as a freshman but has improved to 18.0 points, 9.4 rebounds, 3.4 blocks and 2.1 steals this season.

She has improved her foul shooting from 33 percent as a freshman to 53 percent this season. And she's just now rounding into form after missing time this season because of an ankle injury.

joetro

PostPosted: 01/13/17 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a former alum, ND has great pre-med program ...

Shades

PostPosted: 03/06/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oops, she did it again!

<iframe width='560' height='354' src="//www.maxpreps.com/widgets/video.aspx?id=da4810e0-76d6-410f-8772-0cbd5f3bdbe1" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen ></iframe>

And AGAIN...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OiOoVsWWzEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think she's up to three for the season.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/26/17 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/19241302/samantha-brunelle-francesca-belibi-35-prospects-invited-usa-basketball-trials?addata=espnw:womenbb:index

Quote:
Samantha Brunelle, the No. 1 prospect in the espnW HoopGurlz Terrific 25 for the 2019 class, and Francesca Belibi, who made national headlines this past season for her prolific dunking in Colorado, headline the list of 35 players who were invited by USA Basketball to the women's U16 national team trials.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/26/17 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's got STANFORD written all over her.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ly9G3YvMIvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/26/17 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/19241302/samantha-brunelle-francesca-belibi-35-prospects-invited-usa-basketball-trials?addata=espnw:womenbb:index

Quote:
Samantha Brunelle, the No. 1 prospect in the espnW HoopGurlz Terrific 25 for the 2019 class, and Francesca Belibi, who made national headlines this past season for her prolific dunking in Colorado, headline the list of 35 players who were invited by USA Basketball to the women's U16 national team trials.

What ever college Belibi picks, I hope the coach will allow her to dunk, not sure Geno would allow that so maybe she'll end up at Tennessee or Baylor.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/26/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope her parents have enough sense to keep her out of Baylor.

PostPosted: 04/26/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

What ever college Belibi picks, I hope the coach will allow her to dunk, not sure Geno would allow that so maybe she'll end up at Tennessee or Baylor.

Why wouldn't he allow it? He's one of the people who favors lower rims, presumably to make dunking more prevalent.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/26/17 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Saw that. Impressive. Have yall seen Ashlyn Watkins?
https://youtu.be/evN4EuvAzyo

Not bad for 11, but....those rims are NOT at 10 ft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: