Sparks
50%
 50%  [ 14 ]
Lynx
50%
 50%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 28

Shades

PostPosted: 07/05/17 1:36 pm    ::: Sparks @ Lynx - 7/06/17 Reply Reply with quote

St Paul, MN - 8:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN2
Online: http://www.espn.com/watch

Game info:
http://www.wnba.com/game/20170706/LASMIN

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
adamj95

PostPosted: 07/05/17 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's go Lynx!

jap

PostPosted: 07/05/17 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA's version of World War I, coming soon to a television or streaming video client near you. Cool

PostPosted: 07/06/17 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

‘Statement,’ not WNBA title, at stake in Lynx rematch with Sparks

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/05/lynx-aim-to-make-a-statement-after-heartbreak-in-last-years-wnba-finals/

Quote:
Reeve was quick to point out Thursday’s winner won’t be crowned WNBA champion. That will come in a couple of months if the Lynx (12-1) and Sparks (12-3) indeed meet again in the WNBA Finals.

Quote:
“You can’t win the title tomorrow,” Seimone Augustus said. “You can make a statement.”

Quote:
“It definitely Sparks something in us because we did lose to them last year,” added center Sylvia Fowles, pun intended. “That’s always on our mind when we have to go back and face them.”

Quote:
“It’s pretty much us in a different uniform,” Fowles said. “That’s what’s exciting about it.”

kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 07/06/17 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

why do I already feel like the refs are going to call this game tight and call over 40 fouls?

Kailapea

PostPosted: 07/06/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kojthiabkuv wrote:
why do I already feel like the refs are going to call this game tight and call over 40 fouls?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm seeing both Reeves and Agler getting at least 1 technical and a physical game. I just hope it isn't the refs who decide the game..

Go Sparks (hope the right team shows up from the start).

PostPosted: 07/06/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
I just hope it isn't the refs who decide the game.

Unlike the last time these two teams played? Confused

Last edited by Shades on 07/06/17 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 07/06/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Shades"]
Kailapea wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:

The last TWO TIMES for that matter (i.e. missed 8 second violation towards the end of game 4).

I am hoping for a good, competitive game. Like Parker said, it will be a good litmus test for the Sparks. Will be interesting watching it on TV next to my sister in law (from Minnesota and an avid Lynx fan). Last time we watched a Sparks-Lynx game was about a year ago in Staples, when Renee Montgomery hit the game winning shot. Let's hope for a different outcome!

Sparks will need to try to absorb Minnesota's initial push with revenge on their mind. For me, x-factor for LA is Carson and her ability to slow down Maya and contribute on the offensive end. X-factor for Minn is Brunson and what she can do to slow down Nneka and CP3, as well as hit her three point shot to open up the middle for Syl.

Let's get it Sparks!
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/06/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
Kailapea wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:

The last TWO TIMES for that matter (i.e. missed 8 second violation towards the end of game 4).

Yes, the 8 second violation likely had just as much of an impact as anything that supposedly went against the Lynx.

The Lynx violating my golden rule of when you have the last shot of the game/quarter NEVER give the other team the ball back so they can score (as I'm pretty sure the odds of just getting a score are better than getting a score then getting a stop, plus nothing good almost ever happens to Minnesota teams when the other team has a chance to win at the end), had a much bigger impact (why did the Lynx have to take their last time out right away to score right away instead of running the clock down to take the last shot?). I find it hard to believe that Maya, Seimone, or someone else were all incapable of taking/making the last shot of a game when the game is on the line (and the Sparks had no timeouts, and I don't believe anyone was in the bonus, so the Lynx could've crashed to putback any potential miss), and if not, then the Lynx deserved to lose, especially if they can't get a stop themselves.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/06/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve obviously took the timeout for the refs to review the shot clock violation, unaware that they couldn't. She wanted to know if the score was accurate, important for handling the final seconds correctly.

PostPosted: 07/06/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Reeve obviously took the timeout for the refs to review the shot clock violation, unaware that they couldn't. She wanted to know if the score was accurate, important for handling the final seconds correctly.

No, that was the timeout with 35 seconds left.

The Lynx called their last time out right after Parker's basket to give the Sparks the lead with 19 seconds left.

If it was so obvious and such a big deal at the time and Reeve was smart or knew the rules, why didn't she ask for a review or take a time out right after the Ogwumike basket?

Of course I still have a grudge against Reeve and the Lynx for doing basically everything possible to ensure that the Sparks would win when the win was the Lynx's for the taking, especially because Reeve & the Lynx have yet to prove they can ever win titles or big games against teams similar in talent (now the Lynx couldn't beat the 2016 Sparks, in addition to the 2014 Mercury, and they got clobbered by an "inferior" 2012 Fever team, though I give that a pass because of Catchings). They just rely on having so many more superstars than their opponents, like the 2011 & 2013 Atlanta Dream, or even the 2015 Fever, that it should be almost impossible not to win.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 07/06/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@SpaceJunkie
Reeves didn't take a timeout after Nneka basket because the ref Eric signal for a review(he probably forgot you have to review it immediately in the last two mins)and let Lynx inbound the ball.

As far as those last pts by Maya it was a good shot Beard wasn't guarding her and she had a uncontested look even tho she got away with offensive foul on the push off on Beard. But you're right it worked against Minn cause the Lynx had to run back on defense it's easier to score when the defense isn't set. Also LA had enough time to score or get a rebound and try to again score.

LA didn't lose game 4 because the 8 secs backcourt having turnovers some of them in clutch moments missing free throws dumb shot selections not being not being able score in the clutch made them lose that game. The Lynx had a tie game after that Nneka shot that shouldn't counted and went up twice after that how is it the refs fault that Lynx were missing layups at the rim? Brunson missed a free throw and Reeves went small which is why they got out rebounded. Yes I know Howard had problems staying on her feets but her size could have kept CP off the boards atleast with Fowles hurt and Brunson needing a rest.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/06/17 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
@SpaceJunkie
Reeves didn't take a timeout after Nneka basket because the ref Eric signal for a review(he probably forgot you have to review it immediately in the last two mins)and let Lynx inbound the ball.

As far as those last pts by Maya it was a good shot Beard wasn't guarding her and she had a uncontested look even tho she got away with offensive foul on the push off on Beard. But you're right it worked against Minn cause the Lynx had to run back on defense it's easier to score when the defense isn't set. Also LA had enough time to score or get a rebound and try to again score.

LA didn't lose game 4 because the 8 secs backcourt having turnovers some of them in clutch moments missing free throws dumb shot selections not being not being able score in the clutch made them lose that game. The Lynx had a tie game after that Nneka shot that shouldn't counted and went up twice after that how is it the refs fault that Lynx were missing layups at the rim? Brunson missed a free throw and Reeves went small which is why they got out rebounded. Yes I know Howard had problems staying on her feets but her size could have kept CP off the boards atleast with Fowles hurt and Brunson needing a rest.

Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 07/06/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 8-sec back court violation is a judgement call, not reviewable, even though the league saw fit to review it later. There are several judgement calls that get messed up during a game... like tagging Essence Carson with a foul that clearly should have been run up on Ogwumike, fouling her out.

Shot clock violations are reviewable, but the refs forgot the rule in this case. I'm not sure if it is a fairly new rule, or what. I sure didn't know the rule and I'm still not sure about it. Is it all reviews under the last 2:00 must be reviewed right away, and not at the next stoppage of play?

Anyway, the refs seem pretty meticulous this season. I'd rather they didn't overdo it during the regular season in games that are not close, and focus more on getting the close playoffs games right. Me and Reeve agree.... GET THE SIMPLE THINGS RIGHT! GET THE SIMPLE THINGS RIGHT AND WE'LL DEAL WITH THE REST OF IT!

pilight

PostPosted: 07/06/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Shot clock violations are reviewable, but the refs forgot the rule in this case. I'm not sure if it is a fairly new rule, or what. I sure didn't know the rule and I'm still not sure about it. Is it all reviews under the last 2:00 must be reviewed right away, and not at the next stoppage of play?

Rule 13, section a

Instant replay would be triggered in the following situations:

( 8 ) Officials are not reasonably certain whether a successful field goal
was released or a called foul was committed prior to expiration of
the 24-second shot clock.

Rule 13 section h

If an instant replay review is triggered as described in Section I—a( 8 )
above, the officials would review the video to determine the following issues:

(1) Whether time on the 24-second shot clock expired before the ball left
the shooter’s hand. Prior to the 2nd full timeout in the 4th period, the
review must take place at the next timeout or period break following the
basket in question. If the next break is halftime, the review must take
place prior to the officials leaving the court. Following the 2nd full
timeout in the 4th period and any overtime period, the review will take
place at the next clock stoppage, including immediately upon a successful
basket when the clock stops in the last two minutes.
If a 24-second
shot clock violation is not reviewed in accordance with the foregoing
timing rules, it may not be reviewed thereafter.

----

Since the clock stopped on the made basket, it should have been reviewed immediately

PostPosted: 07/06/17 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
how is it the refs fault that Lynx were missing layups at the rim? Brunson missed a free throw and Reeves went small which is why they got out rebounded. Yes I know Howard had problems staying on her feets but her size could have kept CP off the boards atleast with Fowles hurt and Brunson needing a rest.

Because it's easier to blame anybody other than the coaches/players actually responsible for losing, sort of like how for years it was easier to blame a fan/foul ball for the Cubs losing the 2003 NLCS when all they had to do was, amongst other things, not boot a routine double-play ball that would've ended the 8th inning before they gave up 7 more runs, and they would've gone to the World Series.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/06/17 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn't change a thing. new year, new game....moving right along.

- Amanda Gorman
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 07/06/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
@SpaceJunkie

Shocked Shocked
Im LA fan but didn't they turnover the ball right before that 8 secs that wasn't called? Had they took care of the ball and scored in the last few secs they wouldn't have depended on refs to make the right calls.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/06/17 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
how is it the refs fault that Lynx were missing layups at the rim? Brunson missed a free throw and Reeves went small which is why they got out rebounded. Yes I know Howard had problems staying on her feets but her size could have kept CP off the boards atleast with Fowles hurt and Brunson needing a rest.

Because it's easier to blame anybody other than the coaches/players actually responsible for losing, sort of like how for years it was easier to blame a fan/foul ball for the Cubs losing the 2003 NLCS when all they had to do was, amongst other things, not boot a routine double-play ball that would've ended the 8th inning before they gave up 7 more runs, and they would've gone to the World Series.

Yep, it's easier and more comforting to say "Monstrous Moving Screen" or "14 fouls in a quarter" than "They were the better team and they stomped us".

Yes, I used the Dream's three finals trips as examples. What did you expect? Laughing

PostPosted: 07/06/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
@SpaceJunkie

Shocked Shocked
Im LA fan but didn't they turnover the ball right before that 8 secs that wasn't called? Had they took care of the ball and scored in the last few secs they wouldn't have depended on refs to make the right calls.

Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Arrow Arrow

PostPosted: 07/06/17 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn't change a thing. new year, new game....moving right along.

I'm with you..!!

Shades

PostPosted: 07/06/17 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kojthiabkuv wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I'm with you..!!

That's not how WNBA social media views it. They keep reminding us of Game 5. And I don't want the players to forget either. I want to see high energy and execution. I wanna see the Sparks down by 17 at the half.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/06/17 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the 13-page Game 5 Finals game thread for those who want to reminisce.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=89567

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 07/06/17 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Refs are gonna win.

Confused

I know I won't be rooting for the Refs.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/06/17 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope the league had the sense not to assign these refs tonight
Tom Nunez, Eric Brewton and Amy Bonner

Was it the lead ref who was chiefly responsible for the overlooked review? Nunez?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: