RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Delle Donne moving on...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 12/16/16 10:30 am    ::: Delle Donne moving on...? Reply Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/LockedOnWBB/

braveniler58

PostPosted: 12/16/16 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm deaf so can someone please transcribe or at least summarize this? Thanks in advance

PostPosted: 12/16/16 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
I'm deaf so can someone please transcribe or at least summarize this? Thanks in advance

Well first off Megdal blows a hell of a lot of smoke up Delle Donne's ass, while also showing ignorance about how uncommon contract extensions are in this league. Delle Donne gives a lot of clearly media-trained answers, but doesn't exactly sound like she wants to stay in Chicago. Lots of "ready to play basketball wherever that may be" and "wanting to gel with her team" and "be around the right teammates who want to win championships" (although after saying how much, in general, she liked her teammates in Chicago). "Wherever I may end up" is a repeated phrase. She's spoken to new head coach Stocks once, by phone.

She does talk about how the Sky have been in an awkward position without a head coach or GM for a while, which makes it understandable that finding a new leader has been their focus recently. She says "hopefully that doesn't have to occur" for her when Megdal brings up Fowles and how she sat out to end up where she wanted to be.

She's positive about the young talent in Washington and Thibault himself when Megdal brings up Washington (as the nearest team to Delaware).

Then the last 10 minutes or so is lots of blathering about her life, without much relevance to basketball or the WNBA.

PostPosted: 12/16/16 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based only on Richyyy's comments only (haven't listened), it sounds like she's not exactly committed to Chicago. Liking the Mystics roster is kinda telling too. She doesn't have to say this kinda stuff for negotiating tactics, because she's assured of max wherever she goes.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
braveniler58

PostPosted: 12/16/16 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:

Well first off Megdal blows a hell of a lot of smoke up Delle Donne's ass, while also showing ignorance about how uncommon contract extensions are in this league. Delle Donne gives a lot of clearly media-trained answers, but doesn't exactly sound like she wants to stay in Chicago. Lots of "ready to play basketball wherever that may be" and "wanting to gel with her team" and "be around the right teammates who want to win championships" (although after saying how much, in general, she liked her teammates in Chicago). "Wherever I may end up" is a repeated phrase. She's spoken to new head coach Stocks once, by phone.

She does talk about how the Sky have been in an awkward position without a head coach or GM for a while, which makes it understandable that finding a new leader has been their focus recently. She says "hopefully that doesn't have to occur" for her when Megdal brings up Fowles and how she sat out to end up where she wanted to be.

She's positive about the young talent in Washington and Thibault himself when Megdal brings up Washington (as the nearest team to Delaware).

Then the last 10 minutes or so is lots of blathering about her life, without much relevance to basketball or the WNBA.

Thanks!

Guess its time for trade speculations. Washington makes sense if she wants to be closer to her family. They're gonna have to give up a lot though.

As for Chicago... first Dupree then Fowles and now Delle Donne. Yikes.

PostPosted: 12/16/16 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:

But what's her PER?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/16/16 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megdal now has an article up at Vice, legitimately misrepresenting details from his own interview. Delle Donne never said that she's willing to sit out, even after he led her there with the Fowles stuff. Looking to "make the right decisions for her career" and various vague statements like that, but never says she'd sit out at all.

PostPosted: 12/16/16 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/elena-delle-donne-says-shes-ready-to-moveand-to-sit-out-2017-if-necessary

Quote:
In the meantime, as Delle Donne travels with Amanda to Disney World, then back up to Delaware for a massive family Christmas, teams and media alike will reach an unprecedented level of chatter over a move that will go a long way toward defining the power structure in the WNBA for the rest of the decade.

I think Megdal is trying a little too hard, this is not LeBron & "The Decision".

Michelle89

PostPosted: 12/16/16 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So this shuts down the rumors of her having anything to do with the firing of Pokey

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 12/16/16 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

man, that blows for Chicago..

pilight

PostPosted: 12/16/16 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor Amber Stocks isn't getting the team she signed up for.

Of course Delle Donne isn't interested in playing for a coach that wants her to work within a team concept. She's never played that way.

PostPosted: 12/16/16 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, I listened now.

Richyyy wrote:
Well first off Megdal blows a hell of a lot of smoke up Delle Donne's ass

I didn't think it was that bad in that way. Have you heard a typical Dishin podcast? Wink I'm not saying that's necessarily bad either. You want people to feel comfortable talking to you and that's probably the best way to do it. Especially with someone as guarded as Delle Donne, if you're too blunt (like we are on this board) then you might not get the answers you're looking for or may not get another interview in the future.

Richyyy wrote:
while also showing ignorance about how uncommon contract extensions are in this league.

I wonder if he has a full understanding of RFA because to me it almost seemed like staying in Chicago wasn't even a consideration. He kept guiding Delle Donne down the path of where else she would like to end up. He made it sound like he was going to talk about a few of the other possible teams' rosters, but then he ended up just talking about the Mystics, which she was glowing about. She said the Mystics have "tons of potential". She said "I have a great relationship with Thibault." What connection does she have with Thibault?

Richyyy wrote:
"be around the right teammates who want to win championships"

That struck me as "it's not my fault we're not a championship team."

Richyyy wrote:
(although after saying how much, in general, she liked her teammates in Chicago). "Wherever I may end up" is a repeated phrase.

In other words, she's the real smoke blower.

Richyyy wrote:
She says "hopefully that doesn't have to occur" for her when Megdal brings up Fowles and how she sat out to end up where she wanted to be.

I get the vibe she avoids thinking about things that are unpleasant and aren't fun like contract negotiations. She mentioned she hasn't thought about RFA that much, and that she should "probably study up" on it.

Some points Richyyy didn't touch on

She says she's been living 6 months in Chicago and 6 months in Delaware, and it's worked out well.

She said she understood about Fowles wanting to leave..... that sometimes people need to "seek new opportunities" (hint, hint)

She mentioned raising children. That might be a big part of the consideration of finally revealing her long time relationship and deciding to get married. They're ready for kids. Would she rather raise children closer to her home base? I would guess so. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if she still lived at her parents' estate during the 6 months she lives in Delaware, even though she has plenty of money for her own place.

She ended the chat by saying something like "Thanks for guiding this chat..." That sounds like they had a little pre-chat on what to talk about and what not to talk about. What was so obviously missing from the interview was her feelings on the release of Chatman..... just like those feelings are missing from twitter. I would say that subject is off-limits for some reason.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 12/16/16 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel sorry for the fans of Chicago. They are losing one of the best women's basketball players in basketball.

I believe now I understand why a experienced coach would not come to Chicago.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/16/16 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/elena-delle-donne-says-shes-ready-to-moveand-to-sit-out-2017-if-necessary

I think Megdal is trying a little too hard, this is not LeBron & "The Decision".

Quote:
So for both the Sky and Delle Donne, there's ample motivation to get this done quickly. The sooner it happens, the faster the Sky can build around a talented roster and whatever they receive in return for her, while preparing for the 2017 draft and crafting a promotional scheme that won't center around Delle Donne for the first time since they drafted her in 2013.

Sounds like he's working as her agent. Smile

Delle Donne must have confided some things to him that don't show up in the audio interview.

Did Megdal get booted by Excelle Sports?

zvyn3

PostPosted: 12/16/16 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Of course Delle Donne isn't interested in playing for a coach that wants her to work within a team concept. She's never played that way.

That is not even close to being true.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 12/16/16 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Of course Delle Donne isn't interested in playing for at coach that wants her to work within a team concept. She's never played that way.

I agree, a very rare time I would disagree with pilight.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 12/16/16 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Of course Delle Donne isn't interested in playing for at coach that wants her to work within a team concept. She's never played that way.

I agree, a very rare time I would disagree with pilight.

Pilight should know because he has McCoughtry on his team

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/16/16 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who knows if Meeseman would be willing to go to Chicago, she may be very happy in Washington or if she might have national team commitments in the future but if I was Chicago my minimum would be

Meeseman, Hill and the #2 pick

sigur3

PostPosted: 12/16/16 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Who knows if Meeseman would be willing to go to Chicago, she may be very happy in Washington or if she might have national team commitments in the future but if I was Chicago my minimum would be

I'd be ecstatic with this.

Or just Meesseman and the pick.

Or just Meesseman.

stever

PostPosted: 12/16/16 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Chicago would be in no position to gut anyone's roster...remember what they got for Fowles?

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 12/16/16 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! I'm sad to hear this for Chicago but I know EDD has to do what is best for her. What is it about Chicago? People really kinda run through that place...

Headed to read and listen to the interview.

Side note: This board rocks! It is an awesome means of staying informed!! Cool

toad455

PostPosted: 12/16/16 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This says something about the Sky organization. Nobody wants to stay there long term.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
sigur3

PostPosted: 12/16/16 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
This says something about the Sky organization. Nobody wants to stay there long term.

I wonder why...?

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 12/16/16 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I wonder why...?

It's puzzling....front office thing? Has the same ownership group been there the whole time?

Let me just say that the folks who leave often do quite well....

I think the interviewer made it more salacious than it really was buttt.... It looks like we should definitely expect some changes. I have to admit that I was hoping to see the Sky and EDD build a strong and solid following in the Windy city. I went there a few years ago and I definitely enjoyed my experience. I even bought some folks who are not bball fans and they had a good time too. I know it's not a done deal but it feels bitter sweet....The market there has seemed so stagnant that I wonder how the team will fair with a change like this... At any rate, I'll miss seeing her in a Sky uniform and if she does head closer to home, she will definitely be a great addition to any team! Interesting things on the horizon!

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/16/16 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Wow! I'm sad to hear this for Chicago but I know EDD has to do what is best for her. What is it about Chicago? People really kinda run through that place...

Headed to read and listen to the interview.

Side note: This board rocks! It is an awesome means of staying informed!! Cool

Just make sure you are able to separate facts from hearsay and opinions on here. A lot of people like to state hearsay as though they are facts. .

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: