RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

And its Official Time for the 2017 Hot Seat ...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NationalInsider

PostPosted: 12/04/16 8:44 pm    ::: And its Official Time for the 2017 Hot Seat ... Reply Reply with quote

Lets Kick It Off With

Tennessee

Rutgers

Virginia

Clemson

North Carolina

Southern Cal

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/04/16 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

several of these have gotten extensions and in wbb it's unusual for any school to buy out a contract. If this were mbb, most of these coaches would be long gone. So much for Title IX.

and I would add Cal to that list. Lots of good players and never such good results.

Duke too of course. But maybe beating SC today saved her ass.

- Amanda Gorman
NationalInsider

PostPosted: 12/04/16 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think what people fail to recognize about extensions are...

Many extensions are for recruiting and the details are not put out but anyone on the hot seat is getting an extension that looks like one more year than they currently have promised - a low buy out - and the rest of the years on the contract are all optional at the schools decision.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/04/16 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

add Illinois too

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 12/04/16 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

and I would add Cal to that list. Lots of good players and never such good results.

Except that California is undefeated this season including a 21 pt win over Nebraska today and a 20 pt win win over Duquesne in their last game. Last year they lost Gray and Boyd, so not understanding the high expectations.

Duke? No way. Are you another one who refuses to acknowledge Duke had an inordinate amount of injuries to deal with basically from 2014 on? Aren't we talking about 2017? How terrible did Duke look today?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/04/16 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Except that California is undefeated this season including a 21 pt win over Nebraska today and a 20 pt win win over Duquesne in their last game. Last year they lost Gray and Boyd, so not understanding the high expectations.

Duke? No way. Are you another one who refuses to acknowledge Duke had an inordinate amount of injuries to deal with basically from 2014 on? Aren't we talking about 2017? How terrible did Duke look today?

I suspect McCallie was on a short leash after their internal review this off season. But she banked a lot of good will with that impressive win over S Car today. And they looked good. And she recruited a great 2017 class. I would think it's unlikely she'll lose her job unless everything comes apart at the seams for some reason.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/04/16 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Boston College care? Their team has totally fallen off a cliff.

But since it's still not as bad as their FB or MBB teams, it may not matter.

Is Purdue ever going to hire a new coach?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/05/16 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I suspect McCallie was on a short leash after their internal review this off season. But she banked a lot of good will with that impressive win over S Car today. And they looked good. And she recruited a great 2017 class. I would think it's unlikely she'll lose her job unless everything comes apart at the seams for some reason.

Everything came apart last season and she kept her job. Dukes AD doesn't give a crap.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 12/05/16 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Cal? Last year they were very young (and it showed)....no seniors...one junior who played. This season they have a more experienced squad plus three frosh already making an impact. Pac12 will be tough, but Cal should be in the mix. Gottlieb just signed and extension and excellent 2017 class. No hot seat at Haas...not by a long shot.

goforit77

PostPosted: 12/05/16 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Everything came apart last season and she kept her job. Dukes AD doesn't give a crap.

There several reasons McCallie didnt loose her job...#1 she negotiated herself a hell of a contract with a huge buyout..AD extended her & no way he was willing to pay that buyout

#2 and maybe the most telling is that White has a ego & hates to admit he is wrong. No way he was going to admit that he made a mistake giving her that extension and negotiating such a crappy contract for Duke...People in the admin knew from the beginning that the inquiry wouldn't lead to her firing...That White didn't have the balls to do it & admit his mistake.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/05/16 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clemson is 8-0. That should cool the seat a bit, at least for now. Although to be fair, they haven't played anyone yet.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 12/05/16 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless something is terribly wrong within a program, what AD is going to lose even more money on women's basketball by buying out a contract? You can make the greatest hire in the world and still not make the program profitable.

Also, FWIW, BC's football team made a bowl game. Any job that's not hockey at BC is a tough one. Not much elite regional talent in hoops or football.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/05/16 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boston College is such a strange situation. Clearly, the move to the ACC has not worked out very good for them. But, on the flip side, if they hadn't jumped when they did, they could very well find themselves in a situation similar to UConn without the basketball traditions of both teams. They would have been completely screwed.

I was also going to mention Clemson at 8-0 but that's been done already.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/05/16 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:

Also, FWIW, BC's football team made a bowl game. Any job that's not hockey at BC is a tough one. Not much elite regional talent in hoops or football.

Did they? Didn't realize that. I was thinking of last year when IIRC they didn't win a single ACC fb or mbb game.

They used to be good in both sports. This is a very recent phenomenon and speaks of a total dereliction of responsibility. They won the BE in football and played in the BE title game. And they were good in MBB under Skinner. They never should have fired him.

I'm not a BC fan, but it concerns me what has happened in their athletic dept. And two years ago it looked like WBB was on its way up. This year that promise seems to have vaporized and I don't understand why.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/05/16 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
People in the admin knew from the beginning that the inquiry wouldn't lead to her firing.

Maybe it had the desired effect. Biggest win in a while. Team is playing better basketball. Really good recruiting class. And her demeanor seems improved. Maybe she got the message loud and clear.

goforit77

PostPosted: 12/05/16 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
goforit77 wrote:
People in the admin knew from the beginning that the inquiry wouldn't lead to her firing.

Maybe it had the desired effect. Biggest win in a while. Team is playing better basketball. Really good recruiting class. And her demeanor seems improved. Maybe she got the message loud and clear.

That is the prevailing thought...

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/05/16 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Cal? Last year they were very young (and it showed)....no seniors...one junior who played. This season they have a more experienced squad plus three frosh already making an impact. Pac12 will be tough, but Cal should be in the mix. Gottlieb just signed and extension and excellent 2017 class. No hot seat at Haas...not by a long shot.

well, year after year with very good recruits and the results have been ...meh. Yeah they do great in preseason against mids, but not so great in P12. I keep thinking they will come around. Guess we'll see where they're at when they play Oklahoma. That should be a good test. It just looks to me like another case of a feel-good coach, but not a really good coach. I think some programs are just happy to have the 'nice'.

- Amanda Gorman
LitePal

PostPosted: 12/05/16 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gottleib just got a contract extension through 2021. She's not going anywhere.

Caldwell-Fargas has until 2019 so it's possible the school might eat the final year of her contract. LSU has done better this year so far (terrible words from Geno aside) and has a good class coming in next year including Calwell-Fargas' niece. If she does respectably, does LSU extend her contract or try for someone else? She's woefully overpaid but even at a smaller salary, many LSU fans feel she should be out.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 12/05/16 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caldwell had such a good thing going at UCLA, should've never left. That program would be a consistent final four contender. Love Cori Close, but Nikki had something special started.
Understandable that she wanted to be in the south, but too bad it didn't work out the way for her like it has for Dawn Staley or Jeff Walz or other younger coaches.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/05/16 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

well, year after year with very good recruits and the results have been ...meh.

As a relatively young coach she may not be up to the Stanford standards that you're used to, but she did bring Cal to their first Final Four in 2013, and made a good game of it.

I have a feeling you were overly swayed by Artbest's campaign against Gottlieb last season. And his basis seemed to be nothing more than the notion that Anigwe was the best freshman in the nation, the best center in the PAC-12, and any team with Anigwe should be world-beaters. Let me explain something. Anigwe is just one player and a freshman at that (last year). It takes more than one player to make a team, and this player although very good is not Brittney Griner, who had much better talent around her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/05/16 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

well, year after year with very good recruits and the results have been ...meh.

As a relatively young coach she may not be up to the Stanford standards that you're used to, but she did bring Cal to their first Final Four in 2013, and made a good game of it.

I have a feeling you were overly swayed by Artbest's campaign against Gottlieb last season. And his basis seemed to be nothing more than the notion that Anigwe was the best freshman in the nation, the best center in the PAC-12, and any team with Anigwe should be world-beaters. Let me explain something. Anigwe is just one player and a freshman at that (last year). It takes more than one player to make a team, and this player although very good is not Brittney Griner, who had much better talent around her.

I see the master of misstatement and mischaracterization is at it again. 👎

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 12/05/16 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

well, year after year with very good recruits and the results have been ...meh. Yeah they do great in preseason against mids, but not so great in P12. I keep thinking they will come around. Guess we'll see where they're at when they play Oklahoma. That should be a good test. It just looks to me like another case of a feel-good coach, but not a really good coach. I think some programs are just happy to have the 'nice'.

Oh please...one losing season does not a career make. In 2014-15 they went 24-10 (13-5 in Pac12) and 2013-14 had same Pac 12 record....the year before they went 32-4 to FF under Gottlieb....are you really going to trash a coach for one down year (and they did play well in Pac12 tourney at the end).

This year's team has a lot of depth and the three frosh are immediate impact players....Cal still has only one senior.

BTW, Gottlieb is expecting her first child...in May. Hopefully Cal Bears will have a great spring all around. Smile

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/05/16 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

If Brown and Greenwell stay for their fifth years, Duke could also be really good next year, plus allowing the freshmen to adjust to college.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/05/16 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
Oh please...one losing season does not a career make. In 2014-15 they went 24-10 (13-5 in Pac12) and 2013-14 had same Pac 12 record....the year before they went 32-4 to FF under Gottlieb....are you really going to trash a coach for one down year (and they did play well in Pac12 tourney at the end).

This year's team has a lot of depth and the three frosh are immediate impact players....Cal still has only one senior.

BTW, Gottlieb is expecting her first child...in May. Hopefully Cal Bears will have a great spring all around. Smile

I agree with those who find Gottlieb's seat to be icey cold. She brought 'em to a Final 4, which buys a loooootttttt of goodwill, and though last year's very (VERY!) young team struggled some, they had it pretty well put-together by season's end (including a Pac-12 Tourney win over #10 ASU), and they're off to a very good start to *this* season. Massey's got 'em ranked at #18, and Sagarin's got 'em ranked at #28.

Cal's fine. Gottlieb's fine.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/05/16 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Is Purdue ever going to hire a new coach?

Hopefully this year, but it's hard to say. Purdue has a new AD that is cleaning up the football mess and might turn his head to WBB next. Unfortunately, Morgan Burke signed Versyp to an extension on his way out the door, though word is that it made the buy-out lower if she is fired.

Fingers crossed (thought, I would still be thrilled if they beat South Carolina).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: