RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee Next Head Coach....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitePal

PostPosted: 12/27/16 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Rueck has the personality for it. Despite what he says, Mike Neighbors would almost certainly jump from Washington.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/28/16 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I put together a complete summary.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ltiOk88_pTWnm2OEOofgqrwge0W030DGSqGjO2L03sU/edit#gid=0

Please fact check.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/28/16 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ltiOk88_pTWnm2OEOofgqrwge0W030DGSqGjO2L03sU/edit#gid=0

Please fact check.

Looks right to me

PostPosted: 12/28/16 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
I don't think Rueck has the personality for it. Despite what he says, Mike Neighbors would almost certainly jump from Washington.

So funny. I'm in Seattle right now, and there was a big story in the newspaper just yesterday about how Neighbors has finally put down roots in Seattle and is happy and would never dream of going elsewhere. Maybe even true! Maybe not. I dunno.

LitePal

PostPosted: 12/28/16 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pat, that's what I mean when I said "despite what he says."

When Nikki Caldwell came to UCLA, she said that she wanted to go somewhere where she could put down roots. Those roots didn't have much sprout as she bolted when a 2x salary was dangled in front of her.

Neighbors got a big contract extension but is also a southern boy with the sort of charisma a program like Tennessee needs to start making people pay attention again.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/28/16 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Phil wrote:

Please fact check.

Looks right to me

Thanks.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 12/28/16 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, the next four years (after this one) will or should be the determining factor as to whether Warlock keeps her job or not. If she can't get to a couple consecutive final fours or a championship with the recruiting class she has coming in, then after the four year mark, she should definitely be fired no questions asked.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/28/16 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice chart. The most striking thing to me is that Geno and Pat are huge outliers by any parameter but especially NC's, and if you remove them from the mix, the remaining coaches are split about 50/50 as to whether they were previously HC's or from the same school.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/28/16 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Pat, that's what I mean when I said "despite what he says."

When Nikki Caldwell came to UCLA, she said that she wanted to go somewhere where she could put down roots. Those roots didn't have much sprout as she bolted when a 2x salary was dangled in front of her.

Neighbors got a big contract extension but is also a southern boy with the sort of charisma a program like Tennessee needs to start making people pay attention again.

I think it's an interesting thought, LitePal. I could kinda see it.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/29/16 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Nice chart. The most striking thing to me is that Geno and Pat are huge outliers by any parameter but especially NC's, and if you remove them from the mix, the remaining coaches are split about 50/50 as to whether they were previously HC's or from the same school.

I've been struggling with how to summarize it in prose, but I think you hit on the key. You get one result if you count the coaches, a very different result if you count the national championships, but the key is that both Pat and Geno are outliers.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/29/16 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I've been struggling with how to summarize it in prose, but I think you hit on the key. You get one result if you count the coaches, a very different result if you count the national championships, but the key is that both Pat and Geno are outliers.

You're not getting alumni either way. And it's been a long time since a coach who came from a mid-major won one.

I'd expand it to Final Four coaches and see how it looks.

PostPosted: 12/29/16 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

Rueck is waay too nice for that job. Plus I think OrSU is his dream job - home state, alma mater, family town, all that. It would take quite a lot (IMO) to pry him away. Plus it is yet to be seen how lasting his success will be. He may be just a little too nice.

- Amanda Gorman
LitePal

PostPosted: 12/29/16 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exactly myrtle. He doesn't have that go-getter personality like a Walz or Neighbors. He has a personality like Close, or dare I say, Warlick. The new coach has to rebuild communication within the community as well as rebuilding the program, and while Rueck is a great guy, he's more comfortable within the NW. Self promotion is going to be super important for the next Tennessee coach.

And it should be noted that Neighbors is not exactly tearing up recruiting at Dub, especially after losing Ionescu and her coach. What happens after he loses Plum and Osahor? Then again, there were questions at to what would happen after he lost Walton, and then Romeo stepped in nicely.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/30/16 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Cheryl Reeve. Go for gold.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/30/16 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Ahh, Cheryl Reeve derangement syndrome.

I ask:

-- When has Reeve ever proved she could recruit at the college level?

-- Did anyone ever consider Reeve for a major college head coach position, or even a major college assistant coach position, when she was an assistant at La Salle or George Washington?

-- Was anyone beating down her doors to give her a major head coaching job after five years of invisible head coaching at invisible Indiana State?

-- Has Reeve ever won a USAB basketball game other than as a silent assistant at Geno Auriemma's side?

-- Has Reeve ever had a winning season as a WNBA head coach without Maya Moore and Seimone Augustus on her roster, plus one or two other Olympians?

-- Has Reeve ever recruited top players to any program in her 28 years of coaching?

In my opinion, Reeve would bring WNBA trophies and a famous WNBA name to Knoxville, but no proven substantive college coaching credentials.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/30/16 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Pro coaching and college coaching are not the same. Being good at one does not mean you'll be good at the other.

PostPosted: 12/30/16 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Pro coaching and college coaching are not the same. Being good at one does not mean you'll be good at the other.

true. But your chances would seem to be better with an experienced coach at whatever level rather than someone who has never been a coach at all. I just think Cheryl would be a better choice than most of those names thrown around. And the big thing, whoever it might be, is who they surround themselves with.

- Amanda Gorman
zvyn3

PostPosted: 12/30/16 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I'd rather lose every game.

NFL1

PostPosted: 01/02/17 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="pilight"]
Phil wrote:

Please fact check.

Wouldn't Brenda Frese be a Yes for Final Four at Minnesota?

Nancy

pilight

PostPosted: 01/02/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NFL1 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Phil wrote:

Please fact check.

Nancy

Pam Borton was the coach when the Gophers made the F4

PostPosted: 01/03/17 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="NFL1"]
pilight wrote:
Phil wrote:

Please fact check.

Nancy

No, because she had been the head coach at Ball State.

It is possible my cryptic summary is misleading, but "yes" means the coach won an NC at the team where they first became a head coach and "no" means they had been a head coach elsewhere.

Last edited by Phil on 01/03/17 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil

PostPosted: 01/03/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure why this posted twice; mods, feel free to delete

SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/03/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Well, the next four years (after this one) will or should be the determining factor as to whether Warlock keeps her job or not. If she can't get to a couple consecutive final fours or a championship with the recruiting class she has coming in, then after the four year mark, she should definitely be fired no questions asked.

I feel like I've heard this before Wink

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/03/17 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

I feel like I've heard this before Wink

Leave it to a UConn fan to want Warlick to stay at Tennessee for at least four more years. Rolling Eyes

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/03/17 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the ideal candidate for the Tennessee job has stepped up and shown himself the past week. -- Wes Moore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: