RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Conferences today
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/22/05 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Are you telling me that UConn and Rutgers aren't stiff competition for anyone? Or even Notre Dame for that matter? They are pushovers? Because I never said the Big East was better, or that UConn and Rutgers were the two best teams.

No, you said that. UConn and Rutgers are competition for some but certainly not all (at least not the past season and a half). You said that they were pushovers, not me. I don't see them as being pushovers, but I don't think they're the strongest teams in the nation, either. I will say this, though: UConn (#2) played a rather close game against a middle-of-the-way ACC team (yeah, I realize BC used to play in the BE). Interpret that as you may, but I'd rather wait 'till December 5 before going any further. I'd also like to see how Rutgers will handle NC State (though the game appears to favor Rutgers on paper) and Ole Miss.

ND is solid. They beat us last season. I expect them to beat UConn and Rutgers this season, but we'll see.

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/22/05 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Are you telling me that UConn and Rutgers aren't stiff competition for anyone? Or even Notre Dame for that matter? They are pushovers? Because I never said the Big East was better, or that UConn and Rutgers were the two best teams.

No, you said that. UConn and Rutgers are competition for some but certainly not all (at least not the past season and a half). You said that they were pushovers, not me. I don't see them as being pushovers, but I don't think they're the strongest teams in the nation, either. I will say this, though: UConn (#2) played a rather close game against a middle-of-the-way ACC team (yeah, I realize BC used to play in the BE). Interpret that as you may, but I'd rather wait 'till December 5 before going any further. I'd also like to see how Rutgers will handle NC State (though the game appears to favor Rutgers on paper) and Ole Miss.

ND is solid. They beat us last season. I expect them to beat UConn and Rutgers this season, but we'll see.

ND didn't wasn't better than UConn or Rutgers last year, and they lost their top player.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/22/05 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ND didn't wasn't better than UConn or Rutgers last year, and they lost their top player.

Your point?

One player doesn't make an entire team. ND's got one of the best PGs in the nation to go along with a decent post presence. They've certainly got a shot against their fair share of Big East teams.

Mathies to LA 2013
dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/22/05 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

NO, I didn't say that. Mikey did. I answered to him that they ARE stiff competition for anyone. You said you disagree with what I post. So I asked you, do you think they are not stiff competition to teams? Do you think LSU and UNC are going to come in and blow UConn off the court? Do you think Rutgers is going to get hammered in their non-conference games? Mikey said they are not stiff competition. You now responded they are not pushovers. That's all I said.

I'm not getting into individual players, I'm not saying the Big East is better, I'm not saying UConn and Rutgers are the best, and I'm not saying we have the best individual players one on one.

mikey87

PostPosted: 11/22/05 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah I said it because when you posted it it's like you were trying to say oh the SEC is 2- 2 or the ACC has lost how ever many games thay their reign is over as the top conferences and that's not true the crown still belongs to the SEC and ACC , and most of the top teams from the SEC and ACC would beat Rutgers and UCONN

gopher5

PostPosted: 11/22/05 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikey87 wrote:
yeah I said it because when you posted it it's like you were trying to say oh the SEC is 2- 2 or the ACC has lost how ever many games thay their reign is over as the top conferences and that's not true the crown still belongs to the SEC and ACC , and most of the top teams from the SEC and ACC would beat Rutgers and UCONN

All are great conferences, but the most important crown currently resides in Waco, TX with Big XII team Baylor.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/22/05 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikey87 wrote:
\

No, Pilight posted it. I didn't., All I ever said was that UConn and Rutgers were not pushovers and were stiff competition.

That's become part of the problem here. Nobody freaking reads before posting.

mikey87

PostPosted: 11/22/05 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah you are right baylor is the best team they are not in the best conference, however they are in one of the to 5 conferences in women's college basketball

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/22/05 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Do you think LSU and UNC are going to come in and blow UConn off the court? Do you think Rutgers is going to get hammered in their non-conference games? Mikey said they are not stiff competition. You now responded they are not pushovers. That's all I said.

Yes, I do believe LSU will have their way with UConn. They've got a complete offensive attack. If UConn resorts to a "hack a Shaq" mentality with Fowles, they might be able to even the interior match-up. Otherwise, UConn is overmatched inside as well as on the perimeter.

If UNC runs the entire game, they'll have their way with the Puppies as well. Who on UConn's team can keep up with Ivory Latta? Furthermore, which of UConn's bigs will want to keep running up and down the court to keep up with Larkins in transition?

There are only a handful of teams out there that can possibly defeat Tennessee or Duke, and none of them reside in the Big East. This doesn't make the Big East teams "pushovers", but it doesn't say all that much about play against big-time opponents outside of the conference.

Rutgers didn't schedule a difficult enough OOC schedule to "get hammered". NC State and Temple might give them a good scare, though (they might even defeat Rutgers).

Mikey has his opinion, and you have yours. Not everyone has to think that UConn and Rutgers are stiff competition. Many of us live outside of the Northeast and thus could care less how competitive those two teams are until the NCAAs roll around.

Mathies to LA 2013
dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/22/05 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow for someone who can care less about Uconn, you sure do talk about them and your hate for Geno a lot.

mikey87

PostPosted: 11/22/05 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
mikey87 wrote:
\

No, Pilight posted it. I didn't., All I ever said was that UConn and Rutgers were not pushovers and were stiff competition.

That's become part of the problem here. Nobody freaking reads before posting.

yeah but I have my opinion and you have yours like bballfan2005 said the teams who have the tougher schedules are the better teams it's no fun to see Rutgers or UCONN beat up on a team that has no chance of beating them

Last edited by mikey87 on 11/22/05 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/22/05 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
wow for someone who can care less about Uconn, you sure do talk about them and your hate for Geno a lot.

Relevance? Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry, but I though we were discussing basketball and not things/people that bballfan2005 "hates"/dislikes.

The very same thing could be said about you WRT Tennessee, its home attendance, and Candace Parker.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

Some of you SERIOUSLY under-estimate UConn. They have the athletes to run with anyone. They have a lot of players who can create their own shots. They have a lot of great passers in the backcourt. They have depth in the post. They have big guards and small posts; they have small guards and big posts.

CamrnCrz1974

Some of you SERIOUSLY under-estimate UConn. They have the athletes to run with anyone. They have a lot of players who can create their own shots. They have a lot of great passers in the backcourt. They have depth in the post. They have big guards and small posts; they have small guards and big posts.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/22/05 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Relevance? Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry, but I though we were discussing basketball and not things/people that bballfan2005 "hates"/dislikes.

The very same thing could be said about you WRT Tennessee, its home attendance, and Candace Parker.

TOTALLY mistaken. Yes, and my point was irrelevant. Wink

I don't mind UT and do respect them.
I only used their attendance to show that UConn's is still good. I think UT does great, I'm disappointed Duke doesn't do better (and I say that not as a slam but because they are an elite team. I've discussed this with Cam too).
I think Candace Parker is a wonderful talent; I just choose not to annoint her goddess until she plays some games. And I still am willing to bet Fowles dunks before her.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/22/05 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Some of you SERIOUSLY under-estimate UConn.

What a failed attempt at an implication. Rolling Eyes

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/22/05 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

No attempt to specifically implicate...it was an incorporation of comments in this thread and comments in other threads made by other board posters.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/22/05 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
TOTALLY mistaken. Yes, and my point was irrelevant. Wink

I don't mind UT and do respect them.
I only used their attendance to show that UConn's is still good. I think UT does great, I'm disappointed Duke doesn't do better (and I say that not as a slam but because they are an elite team. I've discussed this with Cam too).
I think Candace Parker is a wonderful talent; I just choose not to annoint her goddess until she plays some games. And I still am willing to bet Fowles dunks before her.

Tennessee's attendance wasn't relevant to that post, either. It would've sufficed to say compare UConn attendance during the DT era to UConn attendance post-DT. Comparing UConn attendance to Tennessee attendance is like comparing apples to oranges. Tennessee had many more athletic events of interest going on last weekend (home men's b-ball game, huge football game). There were way too many variables that can play into a team's early season home draw.

I'm about sick of the whole Candace Parker situation altogether. She's played two regular-season games and has averaged about 17 points and 10 boards (leads team in both) in under 30 avg. minutes. That's impressive to me. I will say this: nobody asked fans from other teams to be impressed with her or elevate her to the level of "goddess". Non-UT fans make it seem that way. It seems as though non-UT fans get irritated at the mere mention of Candace Parker but seem to forget that all D-1 teams had a shot at recruiting her. Don't blame the LV fans for getting what they wanted. Furthermore, if they want to place her upon a pedestal and sing her praises until they develop laryngitis, they have that right.

I could care less about Fowles dunking unless it's done in a half-court set, something Parker's capable of doing. FWIW, I don't see her dunking at all on this level.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/22/05 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

No attempt to specifically implicate...it was an incorporation of comments in this thread and comments in other threads made by other board posters.

My apologies then. Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 11/22/05 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

UConn has surprised me so far...and they haven't really cranked it up yet. They could get a few wins against teams that continue to underestimate them.

PostPosted: 11/22/05 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
I'm about sick of the whole Candace Parker situation altogether. She's played two regular-season games and has averaged about 17 points and 10 boards (leads team in both) in under 30 avg. minutes. That's impressive to me. I will say this: nobody asked fans from other teams to be impressed with her or elevate her to the level of "goddess". Non-UT fans make it seem that way. It seems as though non-UT fans get irritated at the mere mention of Candace Parker but seem to forget that all D-1 teams had a shot at recruiting her. Don't blame the LV fans for getting what they wanted. Furthermore, if they want to place her upon a pedestal and sing her praises until they develop laryngitis, they have that right.

It certainly IS the UT fans who are levitating Candace to goddess status! Read posts on this board like "Candace Parker is READY", saying she's the best player in the history of the game, and will she leave college early to be the #1 player in the WNBA draft, when she has yet to prove herself at the college level. THAT's what irritates me. Yes, 17pts 10 rbds is good, but she's not the only player with those stats. If she turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread then the jealousy you're implying might have some meaning. In the meantime, she's only human, and should be treated that way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: