RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baylor (2) @ Connecticut (3) - 11/17/16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/17/16 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good game UConn. Baylor has a lot of talent and height, but they all look like inexperienced freshmen out there. Did not hustle as needed to win the game...

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 11/17/16 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Impressive to see Dangerfield trending on Twitter when the game wasn't on ESPN

[/img]

pilight

PostPosted: 11/17/16 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Good game UConn. Baylor has a lot of talent and height, but they all look like inexperienced freshmen out there. Did not hustle as needed to win the game...

"Coaching matters", as someone said

PostPosted: 11/17/16 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty shocked. I was chalking this up as a UConn loss earlier today.

Dangerfield was fantastic. Alexis Jones was even better - she is at minimum a lottery pick in the spring, and her play made me question why people are talking about DD as the overall #1 instead. On the other hand, Lauren Cox was thoroughly underwhelming, although it took Stewie quite some time to find her niche frosh year so not writing her off just yet.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/17/16 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:

Dangerfield was fantastic. Alexis Jones was even better - she is at minimum a lottery pick in the spring, and her play made me question why people are talking about DD as the overall #1 instead. On the other hand, Lauren Cox was thoroughly underwhelming, although it took Stewie quite some time to find her niche frosh year so not writing her off just yet.

Yeah, so was I. And yeah, Dangerfield was fantastic. I hate to think of her being around for the next 4 years. Nurse, not so much.

If this game is played in Waco, UConn doesn't get some of the calls they do and it's closer. They still probably would have have won, though. I look for a replay in March and maybe a different outcome. And can Shea PLEASE do something with that hair? It's AWFUL!

PostPosted: 11/17/16 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:

Stewart was scoreless and without a rebound against Baylor four years ago. And the game was in February. (Jefferson had 2 rb's and zero points)

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 11/17/16 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:

Stewart was scoreless and without a rebound against Baylor four years ago. And the game was in February. (Jefferson had 2 rb's and zero points)

Yeah, well there was also this thing called the "Griner effect" at time...

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/17/16 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched late on DVR.

Nicely effective offense and defense for UConn in an early game with inexperienced players. Not so impressive coaching job by Kim.

Quite an impressive career home opener for Dangerfield. She made smart plays along with a little shooting luck.

Napheesa Collier > Nina Davis

Alexis Jones >> Kia Nurse
Howee

PostPosted: 11/18/16 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goodness. Texas AND Baylor both looking very flawed vs. "Hot Stuff", all in one week. Hmmm....... Confused

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Not having watched the game, I'm curious: Did Nina play more/mostly 4, or any 3? I think she's most effective for Baylor at the 4, or even 5, but I remember Kim getting her more time at the 3 last year.

PostPosted: 11/18/16 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Goodness. Texas AND Baylor both looking very flawed vs. "Hot Stuff", all in one week. Hmmm....... Confused

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Not having watched the game, I'm curious: Did Nina play more/mostly 4, or any 3? I think she's most effective for Baylor at the 4, or even 5, but I remember Kim getting her more time at the 3 last year.

I have trouble with defining positions. Davis definitely didn't play the 5. I'd say she alternated between the 4 and 3, depending on whether Kim was playing three or two guards. She definitely was sometimes way outside, as I recall at least two very long shots that missed. She missed all her shots and only got two rebounds, and seemed almost invisible as a paint force. Very uncharacteristic. She didn't start the second half; I think Mompremier and Brown did.
linkster

PostPosted: 11/18/16 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
That was weird. Looked like incidental contact because Nurse got in the way of the player trying to inbound the ball.

You are right about that contact but if you watch the replay you'l see Prince put a forearm into Nurse's back maybe 5 seconds or so earlier and I think the ref was calling Prince for both.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/18/16 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Davis played 4 mostly Kim rotated Mompremier, Brown, Cave and Cox in with her, but she didn't really play five. Alexis Prince played all 40 at the three, with Wallace and Jones (36 and 39 minutes) at the guard spots.

She was really not involved, not aggressive. It was a bizarre performance.

The other thing that was strange was virtually every time one of the bigs committed a foul, she was pulled. It was really a bit much I thought, there was no opportunity to get comfortable with the way they were pulled in and out.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/18/16 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alexis Jones is going to be a great combo guard in the pros, but she is not adept at all at making entry passes.

Baylor, with that many bigs, at this point in the season misses Niya Johnson big time. The amount of overthrown or underthrown entry passes was significant.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/18/16 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Alexis Jones is going to be a great combo guard in the pros, but she is not adept at all at making entry passes.

Baylor, with that many bigs, at this point in the season misses Niya Johnson big time. The amount of overthrown or underthrown entry passes was significant.

And her judgment is suspect.

If I was a coach with a big size and strength advantage whose team was being successful in scoring when it got the ball in the low block to its bigs, and my point guard repeatedly dribbled around ad nauseum, making spin moves and throwing up off balance 18 footers, that point guard would quickly find herself epoxied to the end of the bench. Especially when she also was playing no discernable defense.

And any of my bigs who repeatedly felt compelled to put the ball on the floor when surrounded by smaller quicker defenders would join her.

Why do so few women centers learn to catch the ball in good scoring position, turn, and score without the necessity of dribbling ( and losing) the ball?

Jones pulled the same "I want to be the flashy hero" garbage when she was at Duke and should have been feeding her big posts there as well. She was never half the point guard that Gray had been before Gray got hurt.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/18/16 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

If I was a coach with a big size and strength advantage whose team was being successful in scoring when it got the ball in the low block to its bigs, and my point guard repeatedly dribbled around ad nauseum, making spin moves and throwing up off balance 18 footers, that point guard would quickly find herself epoxied to the end of the bench. Especially when she also was playing no discernable defense.

And any of my bigs who repeatedly felt compelled to put the ball on the floor when surrounded by smaller quicker defenders would join her.

Why do so few women centers learn to catch the ball in good scoring position, turn, and score without the necessity of dribbling ( and losing) the ball?

Jones pulled the same "I want to be the flashy hero" garbage when she was at Duke and should have been feeding her big posts there as well. She was never half the point guard that Gray had been before Gray got hurt.

The bold part! Seriously, Brown is 6'7, and the other two are 6'3 or taller. And Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier are tying them up in the paint for jump balls how? By them bringing the ball down to their waist.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/18/16 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

The bold part! Seriously, Brown is 6'7, and the other two are 6'3 or taller. And Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier are tying them up in the paint for jump balls how? By them bringing the ball down to their waist.

They're not alone. You see it all the time. It seems there are very few coaches in WCBB who actually know how to coach true centers. I never thought Griner was coached how to use her size in college. Russell is another example; drives me crazy every time she tries to dribble.

The interesting thing is that some of these 6'7" or 6'9" woman fail for not being athletic enough or nimble enough with the ball because they try to be forwards, but could be effective if properly coached as back to the basket centers. You don't have to be terribly athletic to be effective scoring in the low block if you have a several inch height advantage and know where to locate yourself, how to receive a pass in good scoring position, and can make a two foot shot.

Instead they get the ball too far from the basket and then start dribbling only to have it poked away by some 5'6" guard.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 11/18/16 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Half way through the 2nd, Geno notices who's leading the Rebound Rate : "You're embarrassing 23 players, 10 coaches and 200+ alumni. Stop it."

Dangerfield : "Uhh ... I-can't-get-no-respect for 800, coach?"

Howee

PostPosted: 11/18/16 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
The interesting thing is that some of these 6'7" or 6'9" woman fail for not being athletic enough or nimble enough with the ball because they try to be forwards, but could be effective if properly coached as back to the basket centers. You don't have to be terribly athletic to be effective scoring in the low block if you have a several inch height advantage and know where to locate yourself, how to receive a pass in good scoring position, and can make a two foot shot.

This reminds me of the immortal Sooner, Courtney Paris. Listed as 6'4", but probably 6'2", she had fabulous hands: if it was in her zip code, she was GONNA have it. Guards like D-Rob would feed her all day long, and KNEW WHERE TO PUT THE BALL. And you'd never see Courtney lose that ball (once she had control of it) to smaller players, and she was seldom blocked by bigger gals. She had a tremendous instinct for using her girth to create space for her shot, and she almost NEVER put the ball on the floor. I can't imagine what her legacy would have been like, had she been a more agile 6'7".

Though some credit should go to Coale, Sherri has NOT gotten the same productivity with gals like 6'6" Nicole Griffin who followed Paris. Nicole was a more slender gal who was more easily pushed off the block. She had a nice touch, but was always doing the fade-away, in stead of playing in forward motion to enhance the and-1 numbers she could have had. I felt Coale could have made Griffin a much better post player. I sure as hell hope she gets the message re: Nancy Mulkey.

PostPosted: 11/18/16 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

This reminds me of the immortal Sooner, Courtney Paris. Listed as 6'4", but probably 6'2", she had fabulous hands: if it was in her zip code, she was GONNA have it. Guards like D-Rob would feed her all day long, and KNEW WHERE TO PUT THE BALL. And you'd never see Courtney lose that ball (once she had control of it) to smaller players, and she was seldom blocked by bigger gals. She had a tremendous instinct for using her girth to create space for her shot, and she almost NEVER put the ball on the floor. I can't imagine what her legacy would have been like, had she been a more agile 6'7".

Though some credit should go to Coale, Sherri has NOT gotten the same productivity with gals like 6'6" Nicole Griffin who followed Paris. Nicole was a more slender gal who was more easily pushed off the block. She had a nice touch, but was always doing the fade-away, in stead of playing in forward motion to enhance the and-1 numbers she could have had. I felt Coale could have made Griffin a much better post player. I sure as hell hope she gets the message re: Nancy Mulkey.

Agree 110% about Paris. All those double-doubles in a row is a record that will never be broken, IMO. She was just phenomenal in college. How she did that at her height was amazing.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 11/18/16 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love her or hate her, Kim never minces her words:

"Moments earlier, the third-ranked Huskies had dispatched No. 2 Baylor, 72-61, to win their, yawn, 77th straight (technically, an upset). The sinewy 5-foot-5 Dangerfield did not start in her home court debut, but she led all scorers with 19 points. “I thought she was the best player on the floor,” said Baylor coach Kim Mulkey. “I don’t think she realizes how valuable she is to them. She sure kicked our ass."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: